The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The one and only fasting video you need to see.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
If you've ever wondered about fasting, why/if it works, or how it works. Then this is the video for you:

I read about fasting a couple of years ago and started implementing it as soon as I could.

I first started with what I'd call a "moderate" fast where I made sure to not consume any calories for 12 hours every day. I didn't use the 5/2 method, and I didn't go strictly "Paleo" either.

The result? I lost 40lbs in about 6 months. The majority of it fat/water weight (FYI I didn't use one of those BMI tests to be exactly sure).

The video above is about as good an explanation of why and how it works as I have ever seen. If you've got 30 minutes to watch it, I suggest you do. Unless you're an adonis already of course.

P.S. Please forgive me for trying out a tiny bit of copywriting in the process. I need some practice :).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
If you've ever wondered about fasting, why/if it works, or how it works. Then this is the video for you:

I read about fasting a couple of years ago and started implementing it as soon as I could.

I first started with what I'd call a "moderate" fast where I made sure to not consume any calories for 12 hours every day. I didn't use the 5/2 method, and I didn't go strictly "Paleo" either.

The result? I lost 40lbs in about 6 months. The majority of it fat/water weight (FYI I didn't use one of those BMI tests to be exactly sure).

The video above is about as good an explanation of why and how it works as I have ever seen. If you've got 30 minutes to watch it, I suggest you do. Unless you're an adonis already of course.

P.S. Please forgive me for trying out a tiny bit of copywriting in the process. I need some practice :).

I've been following Dr. Fung for a year or so now!

This man really is a genius and it's sad to see that the U.S has blinded a vast majority of it's residents to the miracle of fasting paired with weight loss and a HUGE score of other benefits with it

Great post!

TAKE MY REPS++ :cash::cash::cash::cash:

Cheers!- Grayson. J

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I've been following Dr. Fung for a year or so now!

This man really is a genius and it's sad to see that the U.S has blinded a vast majority of it's residents to the miracle of fasting paired with weight loss and a HUGE score of other benefits with it

Great post!

TAKE MY REPS++ :cash::cash::cash::cash:

Cheers!- Grayson. J

I wouldn't say I "follow" him, but this video is truly remarkable.

There's also a hidden lesson in it; how to take a complicated idea and present it in a way that a five year old can understand.

David Kotevski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 4, 2016
It's true, I actually do the intermittent fasting diet where I eat a small breakfast at around 6-7am then nothing besides water until 6pm and I feast until 10pm getting the remaining calories for the day have helped tremendously with losing body fat and a better sense of well-being.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
F*ck it. I'll do it. This is January 10th and I weigh 295lbs. When I was in shape I weighed between 210 and 220. I'll stop eating entirely and post results. I've been trying to lose weight for months now.. Let's see what happens.

Thanks for the vid If I get back down to where I want by doing this I will give you Rep. If I die no rep for you.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
If I die no rep for you.

Let's hope that this doesn't happen :)

Thanks for posting this. I've been curious about fasting lately, as I recently heard a radio interview with a nutritionist who does it regularly.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
It's true, I actually do the intermittent fasting diet where I eat a small breakfast at around 6-7am then nothing besides water until 6pm and I feast until 10pm getting the remaining calories for the day have helped tremendously with losing body fat and a better sense of well-being.

I think you might be going the hard way there, but whatever works for you!

If you're sleeping 6-8 hours per night, not eating and drinking calories before and/or after that is probably easier. That's what I do.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
F*ck it. I'll do it. This is January 10th and I weigh 295lbs. When I was in shape I weighed between 210 and 220. I'll stop eating entirely and post results. I've been trying to lose weight for months now.. Let's see what happens.

Thanks for the vid If I get back down to where I want by doing this I will give you Rep. If I die no rep for you.

I wouldn't go that hardcore right off the bat! Say you eat when you get up? Leave it until lunchtime to begin with as an example. It's mainly about giving your body time to use its already stored resources.

Please don't go dying on me :).

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
As long as I take vitamins shouldn't I be fine until I weight around 220? Whats the worst that could happen?

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
As long as I take vitamins shouldn't I be fine until I weight around 220? Whats the worst that could happen?

You get laid more due to the rippeled gains. Who the hell would want such a thing

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Did not see the video - however, wanted to share some things.

I have been practicing IF for more than a couple years now.
Most of it has been with an 8 hour window - stopped eating breakfast, only ate lunch and dinner (1pm - 8pm).
Lately I have been experimenting with a 24h cycle: I only eat dinner.

I am very satisfied with the results.

It has not hampered my muscle gains (even working out in a fasted state using BCAA+ and then fasting for hours after), and while I'm not cutting at the moment, I believe weight loss would be fairly easy.

The things about educating your body to eat differently is to do it by steps.
If you want to go from 4 meals a day to 1 you will probably fail if you try it at once.

Here's how I did it.

First, notice I already ate only twice a day in a 8 hour window. My goal was to remove lunch.

I started using a bit of butter in my coffee in the morning and at lunchtime. This helps with the hunger.
Using the butter has basically removed my hunger instantly.
At dinner, I was very hungry, and I let myself eat at will in the first stage. I gained some weight (I normally have a very rigid diet).

Then I removed the butter. At that point my body was accustomed to not eat during the day.
No hunger at all. I still let myself indulge at the only meal rather than count calories.

Now, I have less hunger at dinnertime too, and I'm confident I can control my diet when I'll need to cut.

If I do something taxing in the morning, I eat an apple around lunchtime to avoid feeling exhausted.
It's almost never the case, but if a 24h fasting window scares you, that works too.

I'm not necessarily recommend this to anybody, just wanted to let interested people know that it's very possible and painless if you do it the right way.

If you are severely overweight, you would do better to use severe calories restriction rather than outright starving yourself.

800-1000 calories a day, for a limited time, should be safe enough.

However, you should really consult a doctor about it and get checked before starting and then every month after that to be safe.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
The only one fact due to which I'll even try this, is the mental clarity.

If I lose a few pounds besides, nice.

THANKS!

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Let's hope that this doesn't happen :)

Thanks for posting this. I've been curious about fasting lately, as I recently heard a radio interview with a nutritionist who does it regularly.

No problem! Many people do these days.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
It has not hampered my muscle gains (even working out in a fasted state using BCAA+ and then fasting for hours after), and while I'm not cutting at the moment, I believe weight loss would be fairly easy.

If you are severely overweight, you would do better to use severe calories restriction rather than outright starving yourself.

800-1000 calories a day, for a limited time, should be safe enough.

However, you should really consult a doctor about it and get checked before starting and then every month after that to be safe.

I didn't do the BCAAs myself (I'd read about it), but it still worked out well.

Not sure about the second part though, that's exactly what the video tells you not to do because it doesn't work. Would be a good idea to see a doctor though :thumbsup:.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
The only one fact due to which I'll even try this, is the mental clarity.

If I lose a few pounds besides, nice.

THANKS!

Was it you who posted the thread about feeling groggy after eating? I'll read it when I get a chance and see if there is anything there I might notice that will perhaps help you.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I didn't do the BCAAs myself (I'd read about it), but it still worked out well.
I don't really have reference points without BCAA, so they might be completely useless for what we know.
If I don't take them I have less energy during lifting and perform worse, though, so it works out.
Not sure about the second part though, that's exactly what the video tells you not to do because it doesn't work. Would be a good idea to see a doctor though :thumbsup:.
What exactly? Low calories instead of complete starvation?
How can it not work? It's far below maintenance. It's also what they do to very obese people to lose weight before surgery, I think.

I'll watch the video though, maybe tonight if I have time. Sounds interesting.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I don't really have reference points without BCAA, so they might be completely useless for what we know.
If I don't take them I have less energy during lifting and perform worse, though, so it works out.
What exactly? Low calories instead of complete starvation?
How can it not work? It's far below maintenance. It's also what they do to very obese people to lose weight before surgery, I think.

I'll watch the video though, maybe tonight if I have time. Sounds interesting.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there. Short version? Restricting calories = more willpower required and can cause yo-yo dieting.

He makes a great point that fasting is actually less work, because you don't have to cook or buy anything.

I wouldn't say low calories doesn't work at all, but I've lost count of the amount of calorie cutters I know who never keep the weight off.

Some other personal notes:

• I fast, but I haven't changed my diet in any major way to accommodate it.
  • Feel sluggish while fasting? Have some black Coffee/Tea (little to no calories, doesn't interfere with fasting AFAIK).

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there. Short version? Restricting calories = more willpower required and can cause yo-yo dieting.

He makes a great point that fasting is actually less work, because you don't have to cook or buy anything.

I wouldn't say low calories doesn't work at all, but I've lost count of the amount of calorie cutters I know who never keep the weight off.
Oh, I agree 100%. It's actually the reason why I started IF in the first place.

The user was talking about not eating at all though - that is surely unsustainable too.

This is why I like having only one meal a day. It saves time, and it's much easier to be disciplined when you have to watch yourself only in one meal.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I actually started the 5:2 diet yesterday, need to shift around 1 stone of christmas weight!
I run around 3 miles on a treadmill four times a week.
For the 2 fasting days i'm not supposed to eat more than 600 calories. Yesterday was the first fasting day and i did my 3m run in the morning as usual and then around 11.30am i ate a tin of mackeral (fish). Then a tea time i had a ham toastie. I did start getting headaches around 10-30-11pm but i'd also been staring at a PC screen for hours.
I actually thought i'd feel worse than i did especially with exercising on the same day.
Roll on tomorrow for the 2nd fasting day of the week!

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Oh, I agree 100%. It's actually the reason why I started IF in the first place.

The user was talking about not eating at all though - that is surely unsustainable too.

This is why I like having only one meal a day. It saves time, and it's much easier to be disciplined when you have to watch yourself only in one meal.

I wouldn't know because I've never tried it. I'm not sure I'd want to either. :)

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Restricting calories = more willpower required and can cause yo-yo dieting

What? You guys are confusing me. Jason Fung in the video didn't say willpower was the reason for yo-yo dieting. He said your base metabolic rate is.

He also says fasting is more sustainable than anything else. Obviously I can't fast forever. But it would be more sustainable because my metabolism won't be insanely low when I start eating again.

He says when you eat you produce insulin which blocks your body from burning fat. So eating 6 small meals a day means you only lose weight in your sleep while you fast and have low insulin. Since now your body only burns what you eat for most of the day and you aren't eating enough your body just lowers your metabolism until its so low you have to cave, since that is your body's only defense mechanism.

But he says if you fast then your body doesn't have to resort to lowering your metabolism as much since your body is free to burn your fat storage on your body because there is no insulin to block it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
What? You guys are confusing me. Jason Fung in the video didn't say willpower was the reason for yo-yo dieting. He said your base metabolic rate is.

He also says fasting is more sustainable than anything else. Obviously I can't fast forever. But it would be more sustainable because my metabolism won't be insanely low when I start eating again.

He says when you eat you produce insulin which blocks your body from burning fat. So eating 6 small meals a day means you only lose weight in your sleep while you fast and have low insulin. Since now your body only burns what you eat for most of the day and you aren't eating enough your body just lowers your metabolism until its so low you have to cave, since that is your bodies only defense mechanism.

But he says if you fast then your body doesn't have to resort to lowering your metabolism as much since your body is free to burn your fat storage on your body because there is no insulin to block it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct, don't worry ;)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

He says when you eat you produce insulin which blocks your body from burning fat. So eating 6 small meals a day means you only lose weight in your sleep while you fast and have low insulin. Since now your body only burns what you eat for most of the day and you aren't eating enough your body just lowers your metabolism until its so low you have to cave, since that is your body's only defense mechanism.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're absolutely right!

I was trying to simplify it further so I didn't go rambling and end up transcribing the whole video. I didn't mean to make it read like they both went together/caused each other.

Yo-yo dieting = Insulin like you mentioned.
Willpower = More cooking, more groceries, more money spent, etc.

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016

I weigh around 277 lbs and will try to fast as long as possible. I expect to stop tomorrow afternoon, but who knows.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I expect to stop tomorrow afternoon.

Bitch, you failed when you said this. But you don't have to go hard like I'm trying. I've just been struggling for so long and I know what weight I should be at and I'm also a pretty healthy 21 year old on no medication so I'm going to say yolo and try it and see what happens. It sounds like Intermittent fasting is the easiest way to go to achieve similar results. I plan on doing that once I start eating again.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Bitch, you failed when you said this. But you don't have to go hard like I'm trying. I've just been struggling for so long and I know what weight I should be at and I'm also a pretty healthy 21 year old on no medication so I'm going to say yolo and try it and see what happens. It sounds like Intermittent fasting is the easiest way to go to achieve similar results. I plan on doing that once I start eating again.

You do want to fast until you lost that weight you carry above your desired weight?? Are we talking days or months?

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia
This isn't IF. You would get more benefits from skipping breakfast and eating at lunch or something.

Guys, if you try to do the extreme of this you will probably fail. Fasting needs to be a lifestyle if you want it to work. The most sustainable ways are with IF or every second day fasting. I prefer IF with a eating window of 5-8hrs. I stop eating at around 6-8pm the night before, then I won't eat until about 1pm the next day. I have been doing this for over 6 months now without any effort. Once you get past the first couple weeks, your stomach will stop sending signals to your brain that you are hungry. Also, like Fung mentioned, there is increased mental acuity. If I'm not working, I can get way more done between when I wakeup and my first meal. Sometimes I actually forget to eat and have to force myself to eat around 3pm even though I am not hungry.

There is also something called respiratory quotient. Basically, there is a estimated certain point of where your body will begin to burn fat. If you are active during the fasting period, this is considered to be around 12-15hrs for men. If you have a desk job, it is around 16-18hrs of fasting. So if you are having a breakfast - not eating - then eating dinner. You are not getting any benefits from fasting.

To use the analogy in the video, you want there to be a period where your fridge is empty and you have begun taking food from the freezer before you refill your fridge again.

As for BCAA, this is probably the only supplement I can actually feel the difference from taking it. BCAA can be used in two ways, for fasting or for recovery. It is usually marketed for recovery. If you want to weight train during a fasted state, you should be taking BCAA or at worst whey protein. There have been studies to compare taking BCAA vs completely fasted training and overall, the benefits of BCAA to stop muscle breakdown outweight the little extra fat you burn if you don't take it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
You do want to fast until you lost that weight you carry above your desired weight?? Are we talking days or months?

That is the goal. I'm not sure how long it will take. I'm trying to lose about 80lbs so you could guess it would take at least 80 days at a pound per day but more realistically it would be 160 days at a half a pound per day. Again I just made that up, I have no idea how fast I will lose weight.

If I start feeling shitty I will start eating again. But even if I do I will intermittent fast to hopefully keep losing weight.

David Kotevski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 4, 2016
This isn't IF. You would get more benefits from skipping breakfast and eating at lunch or something.

Guys, if you try to do the extreme of this you will probably fail. Fasting needs to be a lifestyle if you want it to work. The most sustainable ways are with IF or every second day fasting. I prefer IF with a eating window of 5-8hrs. I stop eating at around 6-8pm the night before, then I won't eat until about 1pm the next day. I have been doing this for over 6 months now without any effort. Once you get past the first couple weeks, your stomach will stop sending signals to your brain that you are hungry. Also, like Fung mentioned, there is increased mental acuity. If I'm not working, I can get way more done between when I wakeup and my first meal. Sometimes I actually forget to eat and have to force myself to eat around 3pm even though I am not hungry.

There is also something called respiratory quotient. Basically, there is a estimated certain point of where your body will begin to burn fat. If you are active during the fasting period, this is considered to be around 12-15hrs for men. If you have a desk job, it is around 16-18hrs of fasting. So if you are having a breakfast - not eating - then eating dinner. You are not getting any benefits from fasting.

To use the analogy in the video, you want there to be a period where your fridge is empty and you have begun taking food from the freezer before you refill your fridge again.

As for BCAA, this is probably the only supplement I can actually feel the difference from taking it. BCAA can be used in two ways, for fasting or for recovery. It is usually marketed for recovery. If you want to weight train during a fasted state, you should be taking BCAA or at worst whey protein. There have been studies to compare taking BCAA vs completely fasted training and overall, the benefits of BCAA to stop muscle breakdown outweight the little extra fat you burn if you don't take it.

Hope that helps.
I should've been more descriptive. What you said is very true. But I do it a little different after experimenting on myself for a while. My breakfast is under 30g of carbs and and throughout the day if I get hungry just eat cashews and water but at night I feast on carbs and have noticed tremendous results in muscle fullness and a better appetite as a result as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.