The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The one and only fasting video you need to see.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
The first few results are mostly e-commerce sites. I'm only posting to provide a cash study.

Interesting.

I googled it (albeit briefly) and it seemed pretty fad-like. Lots of talk on "detoxifying" without any real definitions of what that means, or why the ingredients are important (although I suspect syrup for energy, cayenne for appetite suppression, and lemons for flavor). Or the physical results from a biological standpoint.

Maybe the first few results I googled were just bad examples of the benefits but it reads very much like "trust me, it works, because other people did it and it works, and it's really old, but it works.... toxins.... flush.... natural....heal... repair...".

The kinds of things that really get me excited tend to be heavily medical and measurement based things. An excellent example of what I'm talking about would be this podcast from Tim Ferriss talking to Dom D'Agostino on fasting: Dom D’Agostino on Fasting, Ketosis, and the End of Cancer

All the talk of science, biology, measured results, blood tests, peer reviews, etc... really wins me over to believing that they genuinely know what they are talking about and genuinely want to learn more about it. I actually just listened to Tim's podcast today with an except from the above interview and Tim wanted to hear about strength training under ketosis and Dom even went out of his way to say that it's still being reviewed and that the first review failed and required some re-work. That kind of disclaimer and honesty really makes me think "this guy cares about the truth more than his own beliefs".

I of course do not mean to "shit on" your progress and attempts to better your health. I'd hate for that to be how this comes off as I highly respect you and always encourage self betterment in all it's forms. I just wanted to share my (very limited) knowledge on what I've learned in my short time diving into this stuff.

Regardless - I do hope it works as well for you as you want it to all the same :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
Did it do anything for you?
Other than make we want to kill someone? ;)

Yeah, lost about 12 pounds, about 10 of which stayed off. I was aiming for 7 days, and I packed it in on day 6.

Not to take you off track at all, but at some point in the future, you might also want to take a look at the "Potato Hack" thing. Not sure if I ever mentioned it around here before. It gets you the benefits of an elimination diet (unless you happen to not tolerate nightshades, I suppose), but without any of the "I'm starving" mental hubub.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Other than make we want to kill someone? ;)

Yeah, lost about 12 pounds, about 10 of which stayed off. I was aiming for 7 days, and I packed it in on day 6.

Not to take you off track at all, but at some point in the future, you might also want to take a look at the "Potato Hack" thing. Not sure if I ever mentioned it around here before. It gets you the benefits of an elimination diet (unless you happen to not tolerate nightshades, I suppose), but without any of the "I'm starving" mental hubub.
a**hole.
I haven"t had a potato in 4 years.
Now I can't stop thinking about potatoes.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Day 3 over...
jon -1.8
Mrs jon -0.4
day to day

I still feel fine. Mrs jon's body is not liking this.
I dropped to 7 glasses. Mrs jon only 5 again. 6 is required. She's going to knock it off today, she can't drink enough.

Day 2 done...
jon + .02
Mrs jon - 3.6
day to day change

I feel embarrassingly fine. Mrs jon is struggling.
8 glasses for me. I think I'll drop to 7. Mrs jon is only able to choke down 5 that explains her extra loss and probably part of her not feeling well. The experts say the minimum is 6. If she can't get down 6 today, I'm going to suggest she stop after day 3 tomorrow.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Interesting.

I googled it (albeit briefly) and it seemed pretty fad-like. Lots of talk on "detoxifying" without any real definitions of what that means, or why the ingredients are important (although I suspect syrup for energy, cayenne for appetite suppression, and lemons for flavor). Or the physical results from a biological standpoint.

Maybe the first few results I googled were just bad examples of the benefits but it reads very much like "trust me, it works, because other people did it and it works, and it's really old, but it works.... toxins.... flush.... natural....heal... repair...".

The kinds of things that really get me excited tend to be heavily medical and measurement based things. An excellent example of what I'm talking about would be this podcast from Tim Ferriss talking to Dom D'Agostino on fasting: Dom D’Agostino on Fasting, Ketosis, and the End of Cancer

All the talk of science, biology, measured results, blood tests, peer reviews, etc... really wins me over to believing that they genuinely know what they are talking about and genuinely want to learn more about it. I actually just listened to Tim's podcast today with an except from the above interview and Tim wanted to hear about strength training under ketosis and Dom even went out of his way to say that it's still being reviewed and that the first review failed and required some re-work. That kind of disclaimer and honesty really makes me think "this guy cares about the truth more than his own beliefs".

I of course do not mean to "shit on" your progress and attempts to better your health. I'd hate for that to be how this comes off as I highly respect you and always encourage self betterment in all it's forms. I just wanted to share my (very limited) knowledge on what I've learned in my short time diving into this stuff.

Regardless - I do hope it works as well for you as you want it to all the same :)

Been 13 days in ketosis due to Dr Dom!

I am 6ft 185lbs 10% bf, I have no weight loss interest it is primarily for mental clarity/focus (for fastlane activities).

Still in the process of adapting (can take people up to 4 months to fully adapt to ketone usage). But if you are interested in trying it out at all hit me up and il link you to all the good stuff I've found regarding ketosis.

p.s. The study you referred to regarding experienced users gym work came back positive for more/same muscle/strength gain, more fat loss whilst in a ketotic state.

p.p.s If you haven't already, google a picture of Dr Dom, he sure walks his talk...

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
Been 13 days in ketosis due to Dr Dom!
Just curious, do you have a significant other, and have they commented on your breath? The couple of times I tried being in ketosis, I could see people literally pulling back during a conversation. Even gum didn't seem to help.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
Just curious, do you have a significant other, and have they commented on your breath? The couple of times I tried being in ketosis, I could see people literally pulling back during a conversation. Even gum didn't seem to help.
Bad breath really shouldn't be an issue in Ketosis as long and you're brushing and flossing daily and maintaining good oral hygiene. Brush your tongue too. Some of this may just be your body detoxifying and will subside after a few days.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
But if you are interested in trying it out at all hit me up and il link you to all the good stuff I've found regarding ketosis.

Part of me really wants to give keto a try but the other part of me loves beer and pizza.

Maybe I'll pick a month this year though and do a multi day fast followed by strict keto for a bit of a "body reset" though.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali

Haha, haven't had any comments/reactions (that I noticed!!) just yet. To be honest even if my breath does stink (I actually think this is an over emphasised possible effect of keto from my reading) I would still be happy given on the diet if it means more focus/energy/clarity.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Part of me really wants to give keto a try but the other part of me loves beer and pizza.

Maybe I'll pick a month this year though and do a multi day fast followed by strict keto for a bit of a "body reset" though.

Haha I feel ya dude!

I've just got to the point where I really need to put on the gas and wanna do everything I can to help myself.

I started with a 3 day fast as you mention... man that first meal was good!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Day 4 done...
day to day

I feel fine
7 glasses

Day 3 over...
jon -1.8
Mrs jon -0.4
day to day

I still feel fine. Mrs jon's body is not liking this.
I dropped to 7 glasses. Mrs jon only 5 again. 6 is required. She's going to knock it off today, she can't drink enough.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I really like Dom D’Agostino. I also like Dr. Rhonda Patrick.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
I've tried fasting for a couple of weeks now and I definetly lost some weight (mostly fat). Basically eating my last meal at 8/9 in the evening and fast till lunch. I get about 16 hours of fasting every day doing this.
Did anyone else of you got cold hands and feet in the morning? Not right after waking up but after 1-2 hours into work my feet and hands get pretty cold even tho I am sitting in a heated room.
Otherwise I feel great, no headache, no cravings put the cold hands & feet are really annoying.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Day 5 done...
Day to day

I feel fine. A little head ache yesterday, not very bad.
Dropped down to 6 glasses. I'm hungry this morning. Well, I'm hungry every morning. More so today.

Day 4 done...
day to day

I feel fine
7 glasses

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Dropped down to 6 glasses. I'm hungry this morning. Well, I'm hungry every morning. More so today.

Other than dropping tons of (mostly water?) weight, and the obvious hunger, do you notice any other side effects? Does it make you loopy?

Super low carb like keto is the only thing that's ever worked for me to drop weight, but it also makes me into a literal zombie. I've tried getting through the initial 5 days several times in the last couple months and end up giving up every time. The last time I was so foggy I stood in front of a screen in a meeting, and literally could not say the number that I was pointing at on on the screen in front of me. How do you get over that hump?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Other than dropping tons of (mostly water?) weight, and the obvious hunger, do you notice any other side effects? Does it make you loopy?

Super low carb like keto is the only thing that's ever worked for me to drop weight, but it also makes me into a literal zombie. I've tried getting through the initial 5 days several times in the last couple months and end up giving up every time. The last time I was so foggy I stood in front of a screen in a meeting, and literally could not say the number that I was pointing at on on the screen in front of me. How do you get over that hump?
nope

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
How do you get over that hump?

To date I've only tried Paleo, not Keto.

Keto requires a level of dietary change and control that I've never been able to wrap my head around. Paleo merely requires one to drop the grain and preservatives, which is dead easy to practice.

Most of my excitement for keto is within the last few weeks based on all the interviews and science I've been reading and hearing about behind it, but I have yet to actually dive into it.

A little head ache yesterday, not very bad.

If you are a coffee/tea/pop drinker and you've dropped coffee during your fast then you are almost certainly starting to hit the withdrawal symptoms. I've dropped caffeine from my diet a few times in the past and after a few days I get a 3-4 day long "dull" headache which is super common for caffeine withdrawal. One of the main reasons I likely will not be quitting caffeine again.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
If you are a coffee/tea/pop drinker and you've dropped coffee during your fast then you are almost certainly starting to hit the withdrawal symptoms. I've dropped caffeine from my diet a few times in the past and after a few days I get a 3-4 day long "dull" headache which is super common for caffeine withdrawal. One of the main reasons I likely will not be quitting caffeine again.
I use almost zero known normal caffeine.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Day 6 done...
day to day

Day 5 done...
Day to day

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014

How long did you stick with it? Maybe your body just takes a little longer to go into optimal ketosis.

Have you considered measuring your bodies ketones to make sure?

Maybe your protein intake was too high as well - from what I understand, a lot of people make this mistake and it can prevent a person from entering optimal ketosis, hence the brain fog

Kade

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 6, 2017
France
Great thread, +rep coming your way.

The tea with honey is barely 100 calories at most.
tea alone is 0 calories, i add nothing to it.
Plus liquids go through the digestive system very easily.

What you're doing (if you watched the video) is; you're about to go into the freezer and defrost some of that shit that has been in there for 3 months, then suddenly what happens? You reach inside the fridge and have a big gulp of calories. You no longer need to enter the freezer because you've got your fix.

The amount of calories is not that important, but honey consists essentially of fruit sugar or fructose, which reacts and raises the insulin level.
Fung is saying that it is much more about the insulin level than it is about the calories. (25:00)

In Asia they used to have little to no obesity even though they had a calorie rich diet.
The obesity rate went from 1% to 13% in 30 years. (40:16)

source:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Day 7 over...
Day over day.
Day 8 done...
Day over day.
Damn this is slow, I'm only drinking 6 glasses and hungry.
I'll have to force the last two days just cause people are watching.

Last edited:

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Are you fasting on a keto diet?

I fasted the first 3 days.

Have done lots of IF'ing in the past but will definitely be experimenting with keto + IF for focus sake and see what happens.

Why do you ask?

G

GuestUser450

Why do you ask?
Curious - I'm too chicken to try.

I do IF, but worried that keto might make workouts and recovery more difficult.

I don't do IIFYM, I try to be clean, but I do respond will to 'refeed' days every couple of weeks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.