The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The lifestyle, hobbies, and fun thread.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I am trying to learn the game of Go; however, online resources are scant and all the YouTube videos I find are people just explaining the rules.

Are there any Go players here who could give me some tips?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I could afford business class but I would feel like I'm greatly overpaying for it because usually it costs something ridiculous, like at least 5x more. If it was double then that would be more sensible.

But that might just be another mental block to overcome as I love traveling and it would be nice to not feel like shit after a long flight (though I doubt there's any difference in humidity levels in business class or the general impact of sitting so much).

Private sounds beautiful but it scares me. Most accidents happen on private planes while commercial is over 200x safer.

View attachment 52325

this is when 45 year old guys get a plane and get lazy about the maintenance and crash their Cessna.

Not when you charter a private jet.

You know better.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Today I did my first freedive to 30 meters (98 ft). It feels so great to train hard and reap the benefits of all your little improvements and adaptations collected over the past couple of weeks.

The dive felt great and easy. I could even hang out for a few seconds at 30 meters.

The only new, uncomfortable thing for me was feeling pressure on my trachea. If I were to go deeper, it could turn into so-called trachea squeeze, an injury caused by too much pressure on the trachea.

At this depth, the volume of air reduces so much that you have no air in your mouth. The negative pressure can then tear the trachea tissue. The solution is to change my equalization technique a little which will be another step in my growth as a freediver.

I really, really recommend trying freediving if it's possible to do that in you area. I've found it to be life-changing, particularly when it comes to recognizing your mental bullshit. But also the satisfaction and deep peace you get when having a great dive is just incomparable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
"F*ck you money" story time!

I was in Costco and ran across a $900 vacuum, on sale for $700. I was like, WTF why is a vacuum $900? What's so great about it? What's the hook? The value?

So out of curiosity I bought it.

And the vacuum is pretty damn cool. We vacuumed our master bedroom with our normal central vac, and then proceeded to use this new vacuum. By the time we finished, you could have made yourself a full-length fur coat with all the dust and hair it picked up. I was actually pretty disgusting.

If anyone is curious, here's the vacuum...

View attachment 52756

If you don't know much about James Dyson - he is a really cool guy to study up on.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
If you don't know much about James Dyson - he is a really cool guy to study up on.

His book Invention is really good. Very process-oriented, tenacious inventor

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019

They must be doing something right, but a lot of their stuff just seems gimmicky to me.
I can't stand the airblade hand dryer. Its a grimy narrow opening that you put your clean hands in, then the air blowers turn on and push your hands into said grime.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
They must be doing something right, but a lot of their stuff just seems gimmicky to me.
I can't stand the airblade hand dryer. Its a grimy narrow opening that you put your clean hands in, then the air blowers turn on and push your hands into said grime.
I've been building a commercial cleaning business over the last year and have watched so, so many vacuum war comparison videos on YouTube that Google must think I'm some kind of Alpha soccer mum lol.
Dyson fares really badly and is despised by the guys that do repair videos but they always praise their marketing.
That being said, the Dyson V8 is great for offices that have a only a small area that needs to be lightly and quickly vacuumed and are in a pain in the a$$ spot to get to. If a staff member is a uni student football player then it's no issue, but someone not so strong can actually get wrist strain injuries from them though.

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Do you not remember how terrible and useless hand driers were until they came out?

Talk about finding an untapped niche, solving a problem, making a product better. Hand driers sucked for ever, everyone used them, they’re everywhere, and no one else thought to make a better one

I've been building a commercial cleaning business over the last year and have watched so, so many vacuum war comparison videos on YouTube that Google must think I'm some kind of Alpha soccer mum lol.
Dyson fares really badly and is despised by the guys that do repair videos but they always praise their marketing.
That being said, the Dyson V8 is great for offices that have a only a small area that needs to be lightly and quickly vacuumed and are in a pain in the a$$ spot to get to. If a staff member is a uni student football player then it's no issue, but someone not so strong can actually get wrist strain injuries from them though.
His books really interesting, he talks about how he invented them

You think he just made a better vacuum but actually he entirely reinvented how vacuums work, the experts at the time said what he wanted to do was impossible but after 2000 prototypes he got it to work

I definitely think they made a mistake going all in on the stick style, and releasing cheaper crappier models

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Do you not remember how terrible and useless hand driers were until they came out?

Talk about finding an untapped niche, solving a problem, making a product better. Hand driers sucked for ever, everyone used them, they’re everywhere, and no one else thought to make a better one

His books really interesting, he talks about how he invented them

You think he just made a better vacuum but actually he entirely reinvented how vacuums work, the experts at the time said what he wanted to do was impossible but after 2000 prototypes he got it to work

I definitely think they made a mistake going all in on the stick style, and releasing cheaper crappier models
I dunno man, I'm not sure it was a mistake. Homeowners love the stick model, I know people with hardwood floors that refuse to use anything else even though they don't even have the fluffy hard floor attachment for it haha. No one wants cords anymore.

Is he still involved in the running of the company or is he long gone? Book sounds interesting.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I dunno man, I'm not sure it was a mistake. Homeowners love the stick model, I know people with hardwood floors that refuse to use anything else even though they don't even have the fluffy hard floor attachment for it haha. No one wants cords anymore.

Is he still involved in the running of the company or is he long gone? Book sounds interesting.
From reading his book I get the impression he's just obsessed with inventing and his company so I'm sure he's still there

He created his own engineering university for the company that's free to attend

He spent $1b or something stupid developing an insane electric car that made no commercial sense

I think it's a good example of a company that never went public so was able to do all of those sort of things that an owner would do but investors would never do

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
From reading his book I get the impression he's just obsessed with inventing and his company so I'm sure he's still there

He created his own engineering university for the company that's free to attend

He spent $1b or something stupid developing an insane electric car that made no commercial sense

I think it's a good example of a company that never went public so was able to do all of those sort of things that an owner would do but investors would never do
It's pretty impressive that he has done so well that even large companies like Samsung and LG are struggling to make a dent against them.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
View attachment IMG_2378.mov

A wolf I encountered on a walk last night. Seems like a pretty random thing to see in the middle of a suburban neighbourhood in East Vancouver.

Last edited:

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
Started learning Spanish about 2.5 years ago. Difficult being in Canada as it's rarely spoken here, but I find I level up every time I go to a native Spanish speaking country and can get along now decently even if the person I'm speaking to knows little to no English.

Just got back from Mexico last week, did some pretty killer free diving in a couple cenotes near Tulum!

Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 8.59.47 PM.png

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019

The Xlerator hand dryer was around before the Dyson one, and it works much better and is more sanitary. The Dyson one is definitely unique though.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Toronto recently had a decent amount of snow, and I was at school.

I didn’t grab my jacket, just ran out there. I thanked god for this snow, and just laughed, and played all day yesterday with my classmates.

My clothes got soaked, my hands were frozen, it was -3 Celsius and I wore a t shirt.

Yet I still felt warm. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

I might sound like a old man with life problems when I say this,

But sometimes it’s best to just let go the problems, the school work, the test you had bombed, that irrelevant argument with a random person, and enjoy the good.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I was in Costco and ran across a $900 vacuum, on sale for $700. I was like, WTF why is a vacuum $900? What's so great about it? What's the hook? The value?

And the vacuum is pretty damn cool. We vacuumed our master bedroom with our normal central vac, and then proceeded to use this new vacuum. By the time we finished, you could have made yourself a full-length fur coat with all the dust and hair it picked up. I was actually pretty disgusting.

View attachment 52756
I have the V6 then got the V10 and recently the V15.

I was so against that V6 version like 7 years ago. I thought my wife was nuts for wanting to buy a, at the time , 400 dollar vacuum. It was actually a bit of a fight.

I've come around. They do a great job and are somehow just more convenient than anything else.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have the V6 then got the V10 and recently the V15.

I was so against that V6 version like 7 years ago. I thought my wife was nuts for wanting to buy a, at the time , 400 dollar vacuum. It was actually a bit of a fight.

I've come around. They do a great job and are somehow just more convenient than anything else.

The wife and I are vacuum snobs. We get a certain sense of accomplishment from doing it. I was known in my college fraternity for vacuuming the halls, sometimes at 3AM in the morning. (After a party, so everyone was awake or drunk)

Anyway this particular model makes the vacuuming more fun, like I actually want to do it.

It's like the pleasure I get from marking a task off my to-do list.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
The wife and I are vacuum snobs. We get a certain sense of accomplishment from doing it. I was known in my college fraternity for vacuuming the halls, sometimes at 3AM in the morning. (After a party, so everyone was awake or drunk)

Anyway this particular model makes the vacuuming more fun, like I actually want to do it.

It's like the pleasure I get from marking a task off my to-do list.
Something about a clean floor gives my wife and I a huge mental lift...we hate mopping though so we bought a bissell crosswave this Black Friday...can't wait for it to get here and we're hoping it takes the pain away from the mop and bucket.

We're both ~30 years old...you know you're getting older when a vacuum excites you, lol.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom

View attachment 52756
There was a documentary on UK television a few weeks back about vacuum cleaners, with the inventor of the one you've highlighted being interviewed: -

Last edited:

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Nothing better than seeing this in the high school bathroom.
Its the simple things that make life worth living...
20211206_121351.jpg

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

First time diving with a monofin. The technique is super hard and you can see how badly I steer it, mess up the movement (it should all go from the hips, not the knees) and lose line orientation (I shouldn't move around it).

There was a current and that might have pushed me a little but it's mostly just my incompetence haha.

The transfer of power is crazy compared to bi-fins. There's a reason why all current records are being broken with a monofin. But it's way, way harder to master the technique than with bi-fins.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
View attachment 52906
View attachment 52907

Just moved to Vancouver, B.C. a couple of weeks ago, can't get enough of the views here.
If the housing market wasn't in the toilet in Canada, I'd be there too.

That whole country is beautiful, especially British Columbia.

Also Vancouver looks solarpunk asf:
Vancouver_Aerial_2017_1__72115131-4a31-42dc-b369-7a5ccec8273f.jpg

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Nothing better than seeing this in the high school bathroom.
Its the simple things that make life worth living...
View attachment 52876
I am in university, saw this in the bathroom stall:

91FBCAB6-411C-462A-B2C9-17B3C15569BB.jpeg

Wish we had "nice cock bro" instead of this crap smh my head

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
That is fantastic. Enjoy those pull ups while you are young. If I even do a single pull up anymore my elbow goes right back into "F*ck you" mode.
Maybe give the Katalyst suit a try?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Started learning Spanish about 2.5 years ago. Difficult being in Canada as it's rarely spoken here, but I find I level up every time I go to a native Spanish speaking country and can get along now decently even if the person I'm speaking to knows little to no English.

Just got back from Mexico last week, did some pretty killer free diving in a couple cenotes near Tulum!

View attachment 52797

That's awesome. There are some good freediving schools in the area doing courses and training in deep cenotes.

How did/do you like it? I've found it okay for a few days but I would never be able to live there.

View attachment 52906
View attachment 52907

Just moved to Vancouver, B.C. a couple of weeks ago, can't get enough of the views here.

That must be super exciting to move to a new place and absolutely love its views. Then you can tell yourself "damn, I can see this every day; I'm not going back home" and it gets even better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.