The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Cryptocurrency Investing Discussion

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

DavidK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
May 23, 2017
Hurricane, UT
Anyone focusing on investing opportunities to those looking to sell shovels to the bitcoin miners, for example NVIDIA and AMD? Might be a good way to ride a smaller wave without the wild west craziness of investing in the coins themselves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Anyone focusing on investing opportunities to those looking to sell shovels to the bitcoin miners, for example NVIDIA and AMD? Might be a good way to ride a smaller wave without the wild west craziness of investing in the coins themselves.

You may have already missed the boat with Nvidia, its went from 30 dollars to 200 the last 2 years

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014

Ah yes, let's bypass the "bubble" these banking shills keep talking about on TV, a convenient distraction, and move money into the "safe" actual bubble that once popped, will obliterate retirement accounts everywhere, and cause actual systemic damage.

From the frying pan into the fire.

3pgNcfVl.jpg

d72Smirl.jpg

JykukSYl.jpg

Don't forget, Bitcoin and cryptocurrency was created because of the 2008 crash. Next time the over-inflated stock market ponzi goes through its overdue crash, cryptocurrency already exists.

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
Bummed I missed the boat on this. But I manage portfolios for a living, and learned that buying something when it's gone parabolic rarely works out.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The question now is, do you lock in profits or hold on and see where it goes? :)

I'm sticking this whole thing out for a longer haul I think.

I only invested a modest sum so even with these pretty drastic up-swings it's not like I'm nervous about losing it. If the values get to a point where I start getting really nervous or uneasy, I'll probably lock things in then.

For now, my current holdings are only (roughly, in coins):

ETH - 3
Bitcoin - 0.15
Litecoin - 2
Iota - 55

Small peanuts compared to some of you other serious folks.

If Iota did something cool I'd be pretty excited but for the rest I'm just going to ride the train and see where it goes for now :)

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
I'm sticking this whole thing out for a longer haul I think.

I only invested a modest sum so even with these pretty drastic up-swings it's not like I'm nervous about losing it. If the values get to a point where I start getting really nervous or uneasy, I'll probably lock things in then.

For now, my current holdings are only (roughly, in coins):

ETH - 3
Bitcoin - 0.15
Litecoin - 2
Iota - 55

If Iota did something cool I'd be pretty excited but for the rest I'm just going to ride the train and see where it goes for now :)

Which exchange you prefer as a fellow Canadian? Have you had the pleasure of selling anything yet lol

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Which exchange you prefer as a fellow Canadian? Have you had the pleasure of selling anything yet lol

Coinsquare for lite/bit/eth.

I still have some eth in coinbase but only because there's no receive addresses at coinsquare to make the transfer yet and I don't feel like making the amount of trades necessary to get it into there indirectly (I think it's like eth coinbase to eth gdax, gdax eth to gdax bitcoin, gdax bitcoin to coinsquare bitcoin, coinsquare bitcoin to coinsquare eth - F*cking stupid, so I'm waiting on that to be 1 transfer, whenever that will be...).

I also have Binance for Iota.

I 100% have no idea how to get any of the cash out yet. I think I can make the transfer in coinsquare from those 3 coins into Canadian currency on a moment's notice but I'm not sure how to get the CAD to a bank account.

I should probably do more research on this so if something crazy happens I can get it out but I ignorantly have not done that yet.

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
Coinsquare for lite/bit/eth.

I still have some eth in coinbase but only because there's no receive addresses at coinsquare to make the transfer yet and I don't feel like making the amount of trades necessary to get it into there indirectly (I think it's like eth coinbase to eth gdax, gdax eth to gdax bitcoin, gdax bitcoin to coinsquare bitcoin, coinsquare bitcoin to coinsquare eth - F*cking stupid, so I'm waiting on that to be 1 transfer, whenever that will be...).

I also have Binance for Iota.

I 100% have no idea how to get any of the cash out yet. I think I can make the transfer in coinsquare from those 3 coins into Canadian currency on a moment's notice but I'm not sure how to get the CAD to a bank account.

I should probably do more research on this so if something crazy happens I can get it out but I ignorantly have not done that yet.

Gotcha, yep I used Coinbase for the first time this AM and I like the platform, however the fees/large differences in coin values were a bit concerning...

You're correct, you can swap these fairly easily into CAD, but for some reason they decided to bend me over on the exchange (not sure if this is normal). They have Interac transfer (high fee), EFT (1%) or wire for .5% on min $10k withdrawal (so I chose the EFT).

I'll start playing again soon, LTC was quite the ride and though I feel like I'm gambling, I love checking the balance on my phone when I get bored lol

We should get to work on a Ottawa Crypto Trading Floor and charge people monthly subs to come trade together. Just make sure we're not 20 stories up in case these things crash and people feel an urge to jump :clench:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I've tripled my money with Litecoin in like 2 weeks. I think it's got more room to go, will go above $500/coin in the next 2 months for sure but hoping for a dip before I buy more.

Ethereum is up nicely but I'm not putting anymore money in it. I may move some from ETH to LTC if LTC has a dip.

I'm still steadily buying Bitcoin. The limits make it a real pain in the butt to go big when it drops.

I'm trying to buy Ripple (XRP) today, waiting on account verificaton with Bittrex.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
For everyone who purchased Ethereum since this thread started, today is a good day. Congrats for all you ETH holders...

The question now is, do you lock in profits or hold on and see where it goes? :)
I'm up about $35k on a $15k investment.... I am struggling with taking out the $15k and letting the rest ride or just watching and seeing what happens.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
I love the chart but man its scary the rise on here at the same time...
47eb7e1fc643e75345a21cb809277ccd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az

ArcherCarmic

Action, Reflection, Repeat
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 27, 2016
Canada
Anyone in Canada looking to buy and hold (i.e. not actively trading a lot) it's probably best/cheapest to buy on Quadriga (Quadriga Coin Exchange | Home)
Step 1) Use that, verify your account, deposit some CAD.
Step 2) Set up a buy order and purchase some Bitcoin.
Step 3) Transfer Bitcoin to your own wallet Wallet. (There are tons to choose from, depending on convenience/security.)
Hold on until it hits 100k ha.
If you're looking to purchase other coins, follow Step 1 above, then
Step 2) Set up a buy order for some Ethereum (Bitcoin has a massive scaling/blocksize issue that's beyond the scope of this thread but worth investigating if interested. TLDR; It's slow and expensive to USE Bitcoin right now for much besides Holding, so we'll use Ethereum to transfer value to a new exchange.)
Step 3) Transfer Ethereum from your Quadriga Wallet/Account to an exchange of your choice. Other exchanges generally have no limits on the cryptos themselves, so look for markets with high liquidity in the coins you are interested in. Here is a great starting place (24 Hour Volume Rankings (Exchange) | CoinMarketCap)
Step 4) From there, trade to get the coin/coins of your choice.
Step 5) Make sure you never keep your coins stored on the exchange! Very important! Transfer to a secure wallet. (If you carry a large amount or have terrible security, look into Offline/Paper wallets)

To withdraw CAD, it's basically the reverse of what is described above. You'll have to post a sell order and when that clears you'll have the option of withdrawing in CAD from Quadriga.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Everybody ready to trade some bitcoin in about an hour when CME Futures will be launched...

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
So now I have 3 different accounts on 3 different exchanges all with pretty different user interfaces. No central dashboard to tell what the hell the value of my portfolio looks like at a glance. And I haven't even started looking at software/hardware wallet stuff yet.

Get the Blockfolio app.

Basically all you need to keep track of everything. Real-time prices from exchanges, more or less.

Open up the app, see your USD for everything, and your total portfolio value.

Then, just add in your trades as you go. Really simple to use.

You can put your calculator away now ;)

powderhound100

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Apr 20, 2014
Yea I wish I tracked everything in blockfolio since the beginning.

Anyone heard of Raiblocks XRB? Similar technology as IOTA with no transaction fees, focusing on an actual currency though. I have a few friends very excited about it.

Mr_Maravish

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Jul 7, 2015
So officially what Echange are you guys using to exhange the alt coins, so many of them, so hard to pick one, I know the main ones are Binance, Kraken, Bitstamp

sam502w

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 2, 2017
Iowa
So officially what Echange are you guys using to exhange the alt coins, so many of them, so hard to pick one, I know the main ones are Binance, Kraken, Bitstamp
I use Binance. Buy my Litecoin through GDAX and then send it over to Binance to trade the alts. Hasn't take much time at all. I trade LTC and ETH on Coinable. I trade XRP, ADA, IOTA, TRX, BNB, VEN and REQ on Binance.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I polled a couple friends and they are all piling into altcoins, spreading their capital across a bunch of different ones all hoping that one of them hits and takes off like a rocket.

Personally, I take a different perspective. There's only 3 crypto coins I truly believe in enough to not care what happens to the price day to day or month to month.

Ethereum will end up with the highest market cap (if they solve their issues - a pretty good bet) due to institutional money.
Bitcoin has the network effect.
ZCash is the only altcoin I'm in, and it's basically an anonymous/private Bitcoin - where the illicit money is likely to move to.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
ZCash is the only altcoin I'm in, and it's basically an anonymous/private Bitcoin - where the illicit money is likely to move to.

I would think Monero is a strong contender here as it is private by default, unlike ZCash and it's public "t" and private "z" addresses.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I would think Monero is a strong contender here as it is private by default, unlike ZCash and it's public "t" and private "z" addresses.
It is a strong contender. Ultimately I think one of them will dominate that market. Monero has the larger market cap right now, but from what I understand ZCash has a better privatization technology which is why I chose them. But I'm keeping an eye on Monero.

Verge (XVG) and SAFEX are other ones, but I think it will be either ZCash or Monero that controls the anonymous market.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Gave up on chasing swings with the majority of my small FYP. Sitting evenly in Ripple, Iota, Cardano and Lisk. I think Ripple and Iota are obvious, and I can see more with tangle down the road, which makes Iota the BTC of tangle unless something changes.

I’m iffy on Cardano, and honestly hype and price were probably the biggest factors for investing, I’ll keep my eye on them, having the former ETH CEO is powerful, but if he’s just going to continue to bash ETH instead of focusing on making the most awesome company he can, I might move on.

Lisk was the 25 percent of the portfolio for trading/playing and I chose them purely to catch the tail end of a good run. I’ll move this soon, and am curious about doing ICO’s with this pot. Not too serious, working on managing the distraction.

Sharing a sentiment shared earlier, I kind of agree that in the end, the technology will live but the coins probably won’t. I could be wrong, but governments make the rules. I don’t see a monopoly of private currencies and early adopters being manageable or sustainable when it comes down to it. Nations will use the tech, but probably not the coins themselves. Just my .02, that shouldn’t stop folks from benefiting while they can.

Closing thought - It’s disturbing that the value of the majority of alts is based on the value of BTC, and you need good ole volatile BTC to purchase them. Talk about violating the commandment of control. It’s using an unstable currency to buy another unstable currency.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry for opening this stupid can of worms up again, but just catching up on the thread. For whatever it's worth.. me being knee-deep into crypto. I do think this is a bubble.. But I am different, because I only see the positives of what we can control.

1. We are far (at least a year) out before anything happens.
2. We are not going to be the last man in & those already in the game should be hedging risks anyways.
3. Let's remember all the millionaires and billionaires (Mark Cuban, etc.) who came out the dot com bubble.
3. The show will go on after any bubble = your Facebooks, Googles, Apples, Amazons, Twitters, Paypals,... you will get another crack at the second leg of the gold rush.

Anyways; with that said.. up and onward to 5%+ minimum daily gains!

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Bitcoin Cash now on Coinbase!