The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The absolute BEST book you MUST read!

G

Guest103804

Think and grow rich lead me to unscripted and 5 A.M club led me to them all I have 5 new books to read at the moment I find I can draw different information from different authors but MJ as been my favourite author followed by Robin Sharma.
Napoleon Hill was very good but written a long time ago in the 30s so required more patience in reading but very ahead of its time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Somerandomdude

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 26, 2022
In one of my last podcast interviews, I was asked "In your opinion, what is a must read book?"

My answer threw the interviewer for a loop because I didn't provide a specific book.

Instead I said: The absolute best book you must read is actually the book that will help you solve the problem that sits in front of your face.

So if you're struggling to be an entrepreneur, that book might be TMF or UNSCRIPTED .
If you're struggling to build a brand, it might be a book on branding.
If you're struggling to grow your social media and its effectiveness, it might be a social media book.
If you're struggling to find VC funding, it might be a book on VC funding.

You see, you should stop reading books for the sake of reading books.

Read books that solve your problems.

If you're on a long distance road trip and you blow a tire, but don't know how to change a tire, what book should you be reading?

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

And the only thing that tells you WHICH books you should be reading?

*** ACTION ***

Because ACTION highlights your challenges and weaknesses. If you don't start the journey and eventually get to that blown tire, you never come across the problem and learn how to change it. (Or learn how to hire someone to change it.)
I find myself going from book to book every week whenever I have a problem I need to face I have a book that can solve the problem,is like having different weapons for different battles in life sometimes I’m reading something and it just doesn’t make “click” and that’s when i know i must focus on what’s happening in my life then another week I have a problem related to the book and reading it seems like discovering a gold mine

Rachie

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Mar 7, 2022
As a newbie on this platform I can relate to this. I started reading so I could do something instead of nothing and while reading TMF and unscripted it shifted to: not just read anything, but read something. Something that will actually help with the direction that you wanna go now. Very good topic!

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
3 SKILLS ARE
1) CONCEPTUAL
2) HUMAN
3) TECHNICAL

ALL PROBLEMS HAVE THEIR SOURCE IN HUMAN BEHAVIOR, ONCE HAVING READ THE TOP BOOKS ON HUMAN SKILL (M SCOTT PECK -THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED, ETC.). THEN REACH OUT FOR CONCEPTUAL PRIORITIES LINKING HUMAN AND TECHNICAL (WORDS AND NUMBERS).
CONCEPTUAL SKILL IS SIMPLIFICATION AND CONNECTING (VALUE), A CONSTANT SEARCH FOR FUNDAMENTALS.
PARADOXICALLY HUMAN SKILL IN PROBLEM SOLVING ALLOWS UNDERSTANDING OF PROCESS, THEN ALLOWING TO SEE GOD. PERFECTION IS SOMEWHERE IN-BETWEEN.
TECHNICAL SKILLS IS A BOX FULL OF LISTS AND CUTOFFS (COMPUTER). EXAMPLE: GEORGE GILDER'S - WEALTH & POVERTY, LIFE AFTER GOOGLE, ETC.
BOOK CHOICES ARE ABOUT BIG PICTURE SIMPLICITY CONCEPTUAL SKILLS. a RECONCILING CONCEPTUAL LOCK IS THE GOAL. FASTLANE IS A BIG PICTURE BOOK (CONCEPTUAL).

Felix Nachem

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 5, 2022
Switzerland
Thats one of the thing that i regret in my teens. I was just reading books that youtubers recommended to me, and this leads to action faking of its finest. You think you are making progress and you feel good, but it is just another way to procrastinate when you don't read the books that make you solve your the problems you need to solve.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
IMO, reading is like a diet. If you read too much, you get too 'fat' and 'obese' until you can't move to take action. Thus the term, 'analysis paralysis'. Analogically, if you eat too much, you are not likely to use all the vitamins or nutrients....it's likely to go down the drain.
But if you read only what you need, there's a higher chance of the knowledge is going to be deployed rather than just sit in that miserable pinkish gunk we call a brain. Analogically, people who eat only what they need to eat do use up the stored energy and vitamins more sufficiently and efficiently.

Good thing you put this in the book discussions thread. New people need to read this before sending themselves into wantrapreneur hell. I was there before, and I actually prefer losing ten thousand dollars on a bad business decision than go there again.

I currently struggle with this.. Constant reading and consumption of information. Sometimes I'll switch audiobooks 5 times in 20 minutes because I want to be sure I constantly have that feeling that I'm learning something NEW.

The reason I don't stop is because I'm terrified of losing the habit of learning. I remember what it was like having 0 brain cells in high school, pretty much a dummy. The last 6-8 months of this reading habit have transformed my brain.

However, what used to feel like learning and nuggets of wisdom now feels like paralysis. The combination of switching audiobooks and now the racing thoughts of feeling like I should be doing something other than listening to that audiobook, completely destroy my focus on some days.

How would you guys go about keeping this learning habit, while also not reading/consuming as much?

I am all about the team producer/team consumer thing. But if you don't consume, how do you learn new information?

I know that "Doing" is likely the answer I'll get, but if doing was the only answer, why do most hard working people never learn how to make more than $50,000 a year? How would that person making $50,000 at their soul-sucking job ever figure out all of the info about leadership, scale, cents, etc if they never read information about it?

My fear is that if I don't keep learning, valuable knowledge will slip through the cracks and I won't live to my fullest potential because I didn't continue reading books from the likes of very successful people.

Like, wasn't Bill Gates the type of kid that would sit in his room for hours upon hours a day studying his interests in books?

I feel like since my environment doesn't consist of constantly learning from the mindset and disciplines of successful people I will through osmosis start to gain the bad habits of the people around me, like watching a ton of TV, scrolling on social media or not having any vision in life, walking in circles with no direction (i've been there, going back to it would be total hell).

I feel like this fear is a blessing and a curse, but I want to be on the light side of it, not the dark. It feels reading is one of the best things I can do to be the outlier in my family.

I asked a lot of questions here, lol. But what are your guys thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
John Wooden: "Five years from now, you're the same person except for the people you've met and the books you've read...."

What one book would you wish you had if you were stranded on a deserted island? “A book on how to build a ship”
I will through osmosis start to gain the bad habits of the people around me, like watching a ton of TV, scrolling on social media or not having any vision in life, walking in circles with no direction
Why? You have your own brain - use it. You don’t need to be surrounded by only successful people to be successful. You decide what and who you want to be. Not your environment. Accept it as a fact. Move on and enjoy living on your own terms.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I currently struggle with this.. Constant reading and consumption of information. Sometimes I'll switch audiobooks 5 times in 20 minutes because I want to be sure I constantly have that feeling that I'm learning something NEW.

The reason I don't stop is because I'm terrified of losing the habit of learning. I remember what it was like having 0 brain cells in high school, pretty much a dummy. The last 6-8 months of this reading habit have transformed my brain.

Tim Ferriss recently addressed it in a podcast. He said that reading books is a socially-acceptable method of procrastination. His advice was to focus on knowledge that's "just in time" (stuff you're dealing with now) rather than "just in case" (stuff you "may" need sometime in the future).

Also, you don't need to read business books to learn. Consider reading autobiographies or non-business non-fiction to learn about topics that interest you. And treat it as your entertainment, not one of your business tasks.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Darren Hardy recommends the 1-1-5-3-1-30-30-5 plan, and it seems to be a great way to stay on track.

Every quarter, he works on one specific area and focuses on:
1 Goal
1 Skill
5 Books
3 Audiobooks
1 Program/seminar
30 Minutes of reading
30 Minutes of listening to an audiobook

5 step study process:
* study - focus on applications directly related to that one skill
* extract the best 3 ideas (if there are 100 ideas, there are no ideas)
* act - implement one idea per month
* measure - measure each improvement over a period of 30 days
* review - plan, do, review, adjust

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1MwH5MiIrc

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

However, what used to feel like learning and nuggets of wisdom now feels like paralysis. The combination of switching audiobooks and now the racing thoughts of feeling like I should be doing something other than listening to that audiobook, completely destroy my focus on some days.

How would you guys go about keeping this learning habit, while also not reading/consuming as much?

I am all about the team producer/team consumer thing. But if you don't consume, how do you learn new information?

I know that "Doing" is likely the answer I'll get, but if doing was the only answer, why do most hard working people never learn how to make more than $50,000 a year? How would that person making $50,000 at their soul-sucking job ever figure out all of the info about leadership, scale, cents, etc if they never read information about it?

My fear is that if I don't keep learning, valuable knowledge will slip through the cracks and I won't live to my fullest potential because I didn't continue reading books from the likes of very successful people.

Like, wasn't Bill Gates the type of kid that would sit in his room for hours upon hours a day studying his interests in books?

I feel like since my environment doesn't consist of constantly learning from the mindset and disciplines of successful people I will through osmosis start to gain the bad habits of the people around me, like watching a ton of TV, scrolling on social media or not having any vision in life, walking in circles with no direction (i've been there, going back to it would be total hell).

I feel like this fear is a blessing and a curse, but I want to be on the light side of it, not the dark. It feels reading is one of the best things I can do to be the outlier in my family.

I asked a lot of questions here, lol. But what are your guys thoughts?

Thanks!
I'm also an avid reader; I read to improve myself, to increase my capabilities, to expand my awareness and to be entertained. These are the reasons why I read. I would suggest you examine the "why" for your consumption of information. Is it a means to an end, or is the consumption an end unto itself? Has there been a quantifiable or qualifiable result from your info consumption? Remember this: Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom.

Mr.Maverick

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2021
Great reminder! I had this problem starting out.

Coming from a slow lane job I realize that I needed something valuable to offer and sell.

I didn't need to consume more books for the sake of it.

I had to shift my mindset from

"I'm reading this because I might need this in the future" into "what is something valuable I can offer to someone that needs it?".

I had to stop being a consumer and start becoming more of a producer.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I am fiction writer, so I read books on how to write fiction and they helped me tons. Recently, I began to think about getting financially better, stronger, and free. At first I read Kiyosaki, then One Minute Millionaire and dozens of others. A few really helped me. Such as Three Feet from Gold. But it was Brian Tracy who drove me to my FTE. MJ taught me to forget about compound interest and focus on Fastlane entrepreneurship. MJ's response was on the money. I apply it sometimes, though I need to read with more focus for the best results.

Oahnay14

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 16, 2021
In one of my last podcast interviews, I was asked "In your opinion, what is a must read book?"

My answer threw the interviewer for a loop because I didn't provide a specific book.

Instead I said: The absolute best book you must read is actually the book that will help you solve the problem that sits in front of your face.

So if you're struggling to be an entrepreneur, that book might be TMF or UNSCRIPTED .
If you're struggling to build a brand, it might be a book on branding.
If you're struggling to grow your social media and its effectiveness, it might be a social media book.
If you're struggling to find VC funding, it might be a book on VC funding.

You see, you should stop reading books for the sake of reading books.

Read books that solve your problems.

If you're on a long distance road trip and you blow a tire, but don't know how to change a tire, what book should you be reading?

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

And the only thing that tells you WHICH books you should be reading?

*** ACTION ***

Because ACTION highlights your challenges and weaknesses. If you don't start the journey and eventually get to that blown tire, you never come across the problem and learn how to change it. (Or learn how to hire someone to change it.)
Dude, that's a game changer. Thanks for your insight.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
You're describing the difference between 'just in time learning' and 'just in case learning' perfectly.
Also what you don't use you lose, so it's even not helping you in the long run!
Great share @MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
FYI: Original post has been edited to reflect updated from the Fastlane newsletter.

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
A reader emailed me last week and asked the following question:

I've read all three of your books and I can't thank you enough, you've changed my life. [Redacted] What other books do you recommend to help me get started on my Fastlane?

While I appreciate the compliment, there are two mental roadblocks to unpack here, roadblocks that will prevent this user from actually experiencing the "life change" he claimed. 

T

The first roadblock is a fundamental truth: I didn't change this reader's life; I only changed his thinking.

And until that thinking manifests itself into repeated action over the weeks, months, and years, "you've changed my life" will wither into an empty platitude of unfilled aspirations.

A book is only as good as your ability to implement it into action. While changing your headspace is a great start, ultimately, those thoughts must materialize in the REAL WORLD. A great quote from the Lao Tze comes to mind:

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

In other words, changing your thoughts ignites the process and is step #1. That life change that this reader expressed? That's steps 2, 3, 4, and 5— arguably, the hardest part of the process. And because this reader viewed my books as something much more, his expectations will be malformed. The result likely will be a failure, not success.

The second roadblock is multi-faceted.

If this reader comprehended my books, he wouldn't ask me what books to read next. Reading another book is not the next step—action is. As I like to say, at some point you have to stop reading about swimming and just jump in the pool.

This brings me to the best book I've ever read. The best book I've ever read changes every month. Why? Because I don't read books for the sake of reading books; I read books to solve the problems that stand in front of me. I read books to resolve an issue I'm having, to solve a challenge I'm encountering, or to refine a weakness in my process.

In other words, when you take action (the answer to the first roadblock for my reader) the next book you need to read will become clear.

• Having trouble making good decisions? Read a book about decision-making.
• Accumulating piles of cash? Read a book about investing.
• Having difficulty converting users into paying customers? Read a book about conversion.
• Having trouble attracting users? Read a marketing book.
• Having trouble getting keeping customers happy? Read a book about customer service.
• Having trouble losing weight? Read a book about changing your diet.
• Having trouble with social media addiction? (Our last issue!) Read a book about breaking the spell.

Action, and the challenges yet to arrive, is the only thing that can help you determine the next best book to read.

If "action" was driving a car down the highway, a flat tire would be a problem. What is the best book to read when faced with this issue? How to Fix a Flat Tire? Or, How to Wax and Detail Your Dream Car?

The challenge defines the book.

Despite its popularity, I've never read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. Why? Because I already don't give a f*ck.

ACTIONABLE

Stop reading books for the sake of reading books. Instead, create a folder on your computer (or any storage device) that can archive any content that you find interesting and "must read," but isn't relevant to your current situation. My web browser has a bookmarked folder called "Solutions," where I store any interesting content that might solve my future problems.

For example, the last item I stored was an hour-long video entitled "How to get millions in free media coverage." Instead of wasting an hour watching this, I saved it for later. When I'm in a mode of massive marketing outreach and need "millions in free media coverage," I will then (and only then) will consume the content.

Information overload isn't an efficient use of time.

Act. Identify issue. Read
Hey MJ!

When it comes to judging the quality and worth of books, what criteria do you use? For example, some people suggest looking at the number of reviews a book has on Amazon. However, we know that popularity doesn't always indicate true value. I believe that books written by older authors can offer more genuine advice, as they aim to pass on knowledge to future generations.

I'm curious to know your best strategy for discerning which books are worth reading and which ones are not. While I'm aware that ChatGPT can provide a summary of a book in a few paragraphs, and you have a list of books to be read, I'm specifically interested in how I can judge a book's value on my own.

Looking forward to hearing your insights!

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
The GAP versus The GAIN. Teaches you how to become more grateful with what you have and the progress you've versus going against the ideal.

How social media brainwashes your mind and how you should seek what you desire by yourself.

Learning the fact that the trauma that has happened to you or negative experiences have lessons you must learn. Otherwise you will be stuck forever.

I didn't practice a lot of gratitude in my life. I was always on an obsessive need for money to get out of debt and never truly appreciated where I was at. I actually feel bad for not practicing as much gratitude as I should have. I looked at the world in somewhat of a negative way because of my debt situation.

Always practice gratitude and for what you have, always have a more positive view of life.

What's In It For Them by Joe Polish has definitely transformed my relationships with people and communication.

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Feb 3, 2022
A reader emailed me last week and asked the following question:

I've read all three of your books and I can't thank you enough, you've changed my life. [Redacted] What other books do you recommend to help me get started on my Fastlane?

While I appreciate the compliment, there are two mental roadblocks to unpack here, roadblocks that will prevent this user from actually experiencing the "life change" he claimed. 

T

The first roadblock is a fundamental truth: I didn't change this reader's life; I only changed his thinking.

And until that thinking manifests itself into repeated action over the weeks, months, and years, "you've changed my life" will wither into an empty platitude of unfilled aspirations.

A book is only as good as your ability to implement it into action. While changing your headspace is a great start, ultimately, those thoughts must materialize in the REAL WORLD. A great quote from the Lao Tze comes to mind:

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

In other words, changing your thoughts ignites the process and is step #1. That life change that this reader expressed? That's steps 2, 3, 4, and 5— arguably, the hardest part of the process. And because this reader viewed my books as something much more, his expectations will be malformed. The result likely will be a failure, not success.

The second roadblock is multi-faceted.

If this reader comprehended my books, he wouldn't ask me what books to read next. Reading another book is not the next step—action is. As I like to say, at some point you have to stop reading about swimming and just jump in the pool.

This brings me to the best book I've ever read. The best book I've ever read changes every month. Why? Because I don't read books for the sake of reading books; I read books to solve the problems that stand in front of me. I read books to resolve an issue I'm having, to solve a challenge I'm encountering, or to refine a weakness in my process.

In other words, when you take action (the answer to the first roadblock for my reader) the next book you need to read will become clear.

• Having trouble making good decisions? Read a book about decision-making.
• Accumulating piles of cash? Read a book about investing.
• Having difficulty converting users into paying customers? Read a book about conversion.
• Having trouble attracting users? Read a marketing book.
• Having trouble getting keeping customers happy? Read a book about customer service.
• Having trouble losing weight? Read a book about changing your diet.
• Having trouble with social media addiction? (Our last issue!) Read a book about breaking the spell.

Action, and the challenges yet to arrive, is the only thing that can help you determine the next best book to read.

If "action" was driving a car down the highway, a flat tire would be a problem. What is the best book to read when faced with this issue? How to Fix a Flat Tire? Or, How to Wax and Detail Your Dream Car?

The challenge defines the book.

Despite its popularity, I've never read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. Why? Because I already don't give a f*ck.

ACTIONABLE

Stop reading books for the sake of reading books. Instead, create a folder on your computer (or any storage device) that can archive any content that you find interesting and "must read," but isn't relevant to your current situation. My web browser has a bookmarked folder called "Solutions," where I store any interesting content that might solve my future problems.

For example, the last item I stored was an hour-long video entitled "How to get millions in free media coverage." Instead of wasting an hour watching this, I saved it for later. When I'm in a mode of massive marketing outreach and need "millions in free media coverage," I will then (and only then) will consume the content.

Information overload isn't an efficient use of time.

Act. Identify issue. Read
Yeah I have the habit doing information overload myself when I face a stagnant period. Thank you for indirectly calling me out because I would be the first one to admit that I tend to read books just to read or even watch youtube videos just to watch and learn something even though it has nothing to do with getting my first customer.

Michael Ankrah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 23, 2023
IMO, the reason why I think people always wanna read books is that they want to have all the information at hand before they start, not knowing that there’s absolutely no way you can know everything about what you want or is about to dive in cause, firstly the time the person that wrote that book did the thing and your time you wanna do the same thing is different, so things might have changed, and honestly l was in this same boat before, but after reading Andy Black thread on “What if you already know enough” and thought more about l just stopped reading and started doing and learning from my mistakes on the way.

Like one great football manager said before and I’m just paraphrasing here though that “The game that is right here now is the most important game of my career rather than the one that’s two or three months away against my arch rival” so focus on what’s right ahead and move on

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.