• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! The absolute BEST book you MUST read!

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by MJ DeMarco, Jun 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $335,565
    Admin Post
    In one of my last podcast interviews, I was asked "In your opinion, what is a must read book?"

My answer threw the interviewer for a loop because I didn't provide a specific book.

Instead I said: The absolute best book you must read is actually the book that will help you solve the problem that sits in front of your face.

So if you're struggling to be an entrepreneur, that book might be TMF or UNSCRIPTED.
    If you're struggling to build a brand, it might be a book on branding.
    If you're struggling to grow your social media and its effectiveness, it might be a social media book.
    If you're struggling to find VC funding, it might be a book on VC funding.

You see, you should stop reading books for the sake of reading books.

Read books that solve your problems.

If you're on a long distance road trip and you blow a tire, but don't know how to change a tire, what book should you be reading?

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

And the only thing that tells you WHICH books you should be reading?

*** ACTION ***

Because ACTION highlights your challenges and weaknesses. If you don't start the journey and eventually get to that blown tire, you never come across the problem and learn how to change it. (Or learn how to hire someone to change it.)

2. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $77,886
    This is why I haven't finished Unscripted yet. I had to deal with some problems.

3. PedroG

PedroG Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,278
    Love this! Lately I've been focusing on both marketing and mindset as these are the two areas that I think will make the biggest difference for me going forward.

Also, when you read books that help you solve your current problems, you actually learn and retain the material a lot better because you can put what you learn into practice right away and there is no better way to learn than by doing.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. J_Cup

J_Cup Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $261
    I guess reading about success is easier and much more comfortable than action. :playful:

5. Empires

Empires Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,752
    I generally take this a step further.

Rather than reading a book on how to change a tire, I would look up specifically what I don't know.

Where to jack up a car? How to remove stuck lug?

Whatever you are struggling with, marketing, branding, social media, etc.

Theres usually a specific problem you are having. Focus on that problem.

Mamista, Aaron T, Andy Black and 3 others like this.
  6. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,590
    The Lean Startup:
    1. Call AAA to get the tire changed
    2. Start a great tire company
    3. Patent automatic tire changer AI robot
    4. Save time waiting for AAA
    5. Retire :D

Victor152, f0reclone, MattJM and 8 others like this.
  7. danoodle

danoodle Freedom Seeker Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $760
    This is a good perspective shift for me as I am a huge reader, although I only agree partly with the premise. I believe there are a lot of amazing "general" mindset type books out there that can really take you to the next level without specifically solving a problem in front of you. I would not have ever came across TMF and met a bunch of amazing people at the fastlane events had I not read books that just came my way, including TMF. I had no clue I even wanted to become an entrepreneur until I had read certain "general" books. I believe it's good to always be reading something that can potentially shift your mindset, even if it doesn't necessarily directly solve a problem, although I do agree you can read and read and read, and not take any action, and all that reading would be frivolous.

Now if I were asked what my top 5 must-read books were, Unscripted would be in there ;)

8. InspireHD

InspireHD Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,124
    I'm not sure if we're talking about the same interview, but I watched a youtube video two nights ago that ended the same way. He definitely wasn't ready for that answer. It just goes to show you're on an entirely different level than these people. It's great to hear your discussions. Thanks for doing so many!

9. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,168
    Me too!
    I finally finished the value array and 'value voucher' just recently.
    I thought I had been done with the 3Bs (the biases and bullshit part), but I found myself laughing at my mistakes written in black and white before me....they were still in my life like cancer cells that just stay hibernating...
    I had to throw out quite a lot of books and reading material because they actually didn't really matter after reading UNSCRIPTED...they were rabbit holes I didn't need to enter to make money or buy freedom.

IMO, reading is like a diet. If you read too much, you get too 'fat' and 'obese' until you can't move to take action. Thus the term, 'analysis paralysis'. Analogically, if you eat too much, you are not likely to use all the vitamins or nutrients....it's likely to go down the drain.
    But if you read only what you need, there's a higher chance of the knowledge is going to be deployed rather than just sit in that miserable pinkish gunk we call a brain. Analogically, people who eat only what they need to eat do use up the stored energy and vitamins more sufficiently and efficiently.

Good thing you put this in the book discussions thread. New people need to read this before sending themselves into wantrapreneur hell. I was there before, and I actually prefer losing ten thousand dollars on a bad business decision than go there again.

10. V8Bill

V8Bill Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $18,245
    It's also much better than watching mindless TV all day and doing nothing. For many people reading a book is a form of action if the previous best they did was nothing. I've been changed more by books (and audio) than almost anything else. Sure action is of course important if you have an itch to scratch or a specific problem to solve but reading a book about anything to do with success, business, mindset or anything really is still preferred and a huge step up from doing nothing. Depending on the situation, reading a book can be an action fake or an action take as long as it's not stopping you from taking action you need to take right now. I prefer the rabbit warren of a good book over watching Family Feud or getting pissed with or even hanging out with a bunch of side walkers or bench sitters.

11. Sean Kaye

Sean Kaye Hopium Dealer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,263
    I read different books for a couple different reasons...

I read some books to learn more about things that I find interesting but maybe aren't entirely applicable to me.

I read some books to become better at "who I am". This is about being a better version of myself as a person.

I read some books to become better at things I need to know. This is tactical reading that helps me get better outcomes and achieve my strategic objectives quicker.

12. GMSI7D

GMSI7D Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,403
    absolutely

if you had to learn just one thing in life , this is it :

managing people's behaviour

what we call officialy " giving value "

it's not about value, it's about managing people so you get what you want with their approval, their help, their " yes"

whether it be business deals, cult leader, politics, dating,

anything

the main point : getting people to do what we want

Siberia, Andrew J., robodale and 2 others like this.
  13. PureA

PureA Winners never quit Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,066
    Gold IMO - Learn what is required for the next hurdle in your life whatever that may be, relationships, spiritually, business, physical fitness, whatever!

Of course applying some of what you learn may also be a smart next step.

ZF Lee likes this.
  14. ambrosinibello

ambrosinibello Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $366
    Already loving these forums. I been thinking to myself lately if I have been getting used to the idea of "reading" as an excuse to just read everything that doesn't pertain to my priorities. Seeing someone describe it perfectly like I felt it makes it much clearer. Ill grab some freelancing/data books in the meantime.(Gotta finish unscripted first tho)

IMHO from experience, I feel like people are so in love with the personal growth, mindset, finance side of books since it changed their lives that they are honestly scared to put them down and read something else for fear old scripts might come back. Its almost like "I gotta be reading this 24/7 or I'll go back to my old self again!"

Laughingman21 and Thoelk like this.
  15. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,469
    Love this. Stop reading to read. Read to solve a problem.

16. Era

Era Light Warrior Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $968
    For some people, reading can be a form of escapisim just like TV and can even be addicting. Proceed with caution. If the book or article does not help you or bring value in this specific stage of your life, skip it.

emanresu, Edward1975 and Romeo D. like this.
  17. Colin B

Colin B New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $48
    LOL - threw the interviewer. (Great answer)

Edward1975 likes this.
  18. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $335,565
    Admin Post
    Bump.

19. Greg R

Greg R Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $18,121
    Dammit. I could have just bumped this thread!

Giving you back your rep+.

20. Ripe

Ripe Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $133
    Where can we find this podcast episode in question? (I just ran out of audiobooks ;P)

21. MiguelHammond10

MiguelHammond10 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $328
    Great post, that's why i read the UNSCRIPTED twice because i wanted to have all the knowledge to solve problems.

22. S.Y.

S.Y. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,362
    There are books that are transcending current problems. At least for me, and that book is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (the Hays translation is my favorite). I have re-read this book many times.

The only way I can explain why is:
    1. It grounds me and allows me to go through life like a bamboo: flexible and resistant
    2. Every time I open it, read something useful

I just randomly opened a page and read the following:
    "Disgraceful: for the soul to give up when the body is still going". If I had a bad day and I read this, it would push me to keep grinding.​

Another random page:
    "Give yourself a gift: the present moment.
    People out for posthumous fame forget that the Generations To Come will be the same annoying people they know now. And just as mortal. What does it matter to you if they say x about you, or think y"​
    Aka f*** the hater. Keep learning.

Last one:
    "Dig deep; the water - goodness - is down there. And as long as you keep digging, it will keep bubbling up"​
    aka persistence

That said, execution is king! Fully agree with that.

Yoda likes this.
  23. Laughingman21

Laughingman21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $901
    I realised very recently my mistake in just reading. I had put this down as a form of taking actions, when in reality just reading business books is a brilliant example of action faking. Learning theory is nothing like learning from your mistakes. It’s a good starting point, but unless you then follow up with action, it’s a waste of time.

Reading too much can also slow your progress down in a number or ways. For example:
    • You spend too long trying to develop the perfect system without having any real world experience. In reality you need to get something to market and adapt your system to the feedback

• Analysis Paralysis – you spend too long comparing your expectations against the charts in the books

• You wait to launch until after you’ve read one more book on start-ups

• You read something that introduces doubt into your mind so you postpone launching while you research more
    I’ve been guilty of all these things, but learnt far more from having a product to market and getting feedback from customers or sales numbers.

24. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Digital Wantrepreneur Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $886
    (Looking at my bookshelf and computer files) AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  25. scott wisniewsk

scott wisniewsk Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $549