The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The absolute BEST book you MUST read!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A reader emailed me last week and asked the following question:

I've read all three of your books and I can't thank you enough, you've changed my life. [Redacted] What other books do you recommend to help me get started on my Fastlane?

While I appreciate the compliment, there are two mental roadblocks to unpack here, roadblocks that will prevent this user from actually experiencing the "life change" he claimed. 

T

The first roadblock is a fundamental truth: I didn't change this reader's life; I only changed his thinking.

And until that thinking manifests itself into repeated action over the weeks, months, and years, "you've changed my life" will wither into an empty platitude of unfilled aspirations.

A book is only as good as your ability to implement it into action. While changing your headspace is a great start, ultimately, those thoughts must materialize in the REAL WORLD. A great quote from the Lao Tze comes to mind:

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

In other words, changing your thoughts ignites the process and is step #1. That life change that this reader expressed? That's steps 2, 3, 4, and 5— arguably, the hardest part of the process. And because this reader viewed my books as something much more, his expectations will be malformed. The result likely will be a failure, not success.

The second roadblock is multi-faceted.

If this reader comprehended my books, he wouldn't ask me what books to read next. Reading another book is not the next step—action is. As I like to say, at some point you have to stop reading about swimming and just jump in the pool.

This brings me to the best book I've ever read. The best book I've ever read changes every month. Why? Because I don't read books for the sake of reading books; I read books to solve the problems that stand in front of me. I read books to resolve an issue I'm having, to solve a challenge I'm encountering, or to refine a weakness in my process.

In other words, when you take action (the answer to the first roadblock for my reader) the next book you need to read will become clear.

• Having trouble making good decisions? Read a book about decision-making.
• Accumulating piles of cash? Read a book about investing.
• Having difficulty converting users into paying customers? Read a book about conversion.
• Having trouble attracting users? Read a marketing book.
• Having trouble getting keeping customers happy? Read a book about customer service.
• Having trouble losing weight? Read a book about changing your diet.
• Having trouble with social media addiction? (Our last issue!) Read a book about breaking the spell.

Action, and the challenges yet to arrive, is the only thing that can help you determine the next best book to read.

If "action" was driving a car down the highway, a flat tire would be a problem. What is the best book to read when faced with this issue? How to Fix a Flat Tire? Or, How to Wax and Detail Your Dream Car?

The challenge defines the book.

Despite its popularity, I've never read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. Why? Because I already don't give a f*ck.

ACTIONABLE

Stop reading books for the sake of reading books. Instead, create a folder on your computer (or any storage device) that can archive any content that you find interesting and "must read," but isn't relevant to your current situation. My web browser has a bookmarked folder called "Solutions," where I store any interesting content that might solve my future problems.

For example, the last item I stored was an hour-long video entitled "How to get millions in free media coverage." Instead of wasting an hour watching this, I saved it for later. When I'm in a mode of massive marketing outreach and need "millions in free media coverage," I will then (and only then) will consume the content.

Information overload isn't an efficient use of time.

Act. Identify issue. Read

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
Love this! Lately I've been focusing on both marketing and mindset as these are the two areas that I think will make the biggest difference for me going forward.

Also, when you read books that help you solve your current problems, you actually learn and retain the material a lot better because you can put what you learn into practice right away and there is no better way to learn than by doing.

Last edited:

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
I generally take this a step further.

Rather than reading a book on how to change a tire, I would look up specifically what I don't know.

Where to jack up a car? How to remove stuck lug?

Whatever you are struggling with, marketing, branding, social media, etc.

Theres usually a specific problem you are having. Focus on that problem.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
If you're on a long distance road trip and you blow a tire, but don't know how to change a tire, what book should you be reading?

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

The Lean Startup:
1. Call AAA to get the tire changed
2. Start a great tire company
3. Patent automatic tire changer AI robot
4. Save time waiting for AAA
5. Retire :D

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
This is a good perspective shift for me as I am a huge reader, although I only agree partly with the premise. I believe there are a lot of amazing "general" mindset type books out there that can really take you to the next level without specifically solving a problem in front of you. I would not have ever came across TMF and met a bunch of amazing people at the fastlane events had I not read books that just came my way, including TMF . I had no clue I even wanted to become an entrepreneur until I had read certain "general" books. I believe it's good to always be reading something that can potentially shift your mindset, even if it doesn't necessarily directly solve a problem, although I do agree you can read and read and read, and not take any action, and all that reading would be frivolous.

Now if I were asked what my top 5 must-read books were, Unscripted would be in there ;)

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
In one of my last podcast interviews, I was asked "In your opinion, what is a must read book?"

My answer threw the interviewer for a loop because I didn't provide a specific book.

Instead I said: The absolute best book you must read is actually the book that will help you solve the problem that sits in front of your face.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same interview, but I watched a youtube video two nights ago that ended the same way. He definitely wasn't ready for that answer. It just goes to show you're on an entirely different level than these people. It's great to hear your discussions. Thanks for doing so many!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This is why I haven't finished Unscripted yet. I had to deal with some problems.
Me too!
I finally finished the value array and 'value voucher' just recently.
I thought I had been done with the 3Bs (the biases and bullshit part), but I found myself laughing at my mistakes written in black and white before me....they were still in my life like cancer cells that just stay hibernating...
I had to throw out quite a lot of books and reading material because they actually didn't really matter after reading UNSCRIPTED ...they were rabbit holes I didn't need to enter to make money or buy freedom.

In one of my last podcast interviews, I was asked "In your opinion, what is a must read book?"

My answer threw the interviewer for a loop because I didn't provide a specific book.

Instead I said: The absolute best book you must read is actually the book that will help you solve the problem that sits in front of your face.

So if you're struggling to be an entrepreneur, that book might be TMF or UNSCRIPTED .
If you're struggling to build a brand, it might be a book on branding.
If you're struggling to grow your social media and its effectiveness, it might be a social media book.
If you're struggling to find VC funding, it might be a book on VC funding.

You see, you should stop reading books for the sake of reading books.

Read books that solve your problems.

If you're on a long distance road trip and you blow a tire, but don't know how to change a tire, what book should you be reading?

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

And the only thing that tells you WHICH books you should be reading?

*** ACTION ***

Because ACTION highlights your challenges and weaknesses. If you don't start the journey and eventually get to that blown tire, you never come across the problem and learn how to change it. (Or learn how to hire someone to change it.)
IMO, reading is like a diet. If you read too much, you get too 'fat' and 'obese' until you can't move to take action. Thus the term, 'analysis paralysis'. Analogically, if you eat too much, you are not likely to use all the vitamins or nutrients....it's likely to go down the drain.
But if you read only what you need, there's a higher chance of the knowledge is going to be deployed rather than just sit in that miserable pinkish gunk we call a brain. Analogically, people who eat only what they need to eat do use up the stored energy and vitamins more sufficiently and efficiently.

Good thing you put this in the book discussions thread. New people need to read this before sending themselves into wantrapreneur hell. I was there before, and I actually prefer losing ten thousand dollars on a bad business decision than go there again.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I guess reading about success is easier and much more comfortable than action. :playful:
It's also much better than watching mindless TV all day and doing nothing. For many people reading a book is a form of action if the previous best they did was nothing. I've been changed more by books (and audio) than almost anything else. Sure action is of course important if you have an itch to scratch or a specific problem to solve but reading a book about anything to do with success, business, mindset or anything really is still preferred and a huge step up from doing nothing. Depending on the situation, reading a book can be an action fake or an action take as long as it's not stopping you from taking action you need to take right now. I prefer the rabbit warren of a good book over watching Family Feud or getting pissed with or even hanging out with a bunch of side walkers or bench sitters.

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I read different books for a couple different reasons...

I read some books to learn more about things that I find interesting but maybe aren't entirely applicable to me.

I read some books to become better at "who I am". This is about being a better version of myself as a person.

I read some books to become better at things I need to know. This is tactical reading that helps me get better outcomes and achieve my strategic objectives quicker.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Love this! Lately I've been focusing on both marketing and mind control (NLP, etc.) as these are the two areas that I think will make the biggest difference for me going forward.

absolutely

if you had to learn just one thing in life , this is it :

managing people's behaviour

what we call officialy " giving value "

it's not about value, it's about managing people so you get what you want with their approval, their help, their " yes"

whether it be business deals, cult leader, politics, dating,

anything

the main point : getting people to do what we want

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Gold IMO - Learn what is required for the next hurdle in your life whatever that may be, relationships, spiritually, business, physical fitness, whatever!

Of course applying some of what you learn may also be a smart next step.

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL

So if you're struggling to be an entrepreneur, that book might be TMF or UNSCRIPTED .
If you're struggling to grow your social media and its effectiveness, it might be a social media book.

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

*** ACTION ***

Because ACTION highlights your challenges and weaknesses. If you don't start the journey and eventually get to that blown tire, you never come across the problem and learn how to change it. (Or learn how to hire someone to change it.)

Already loving these forums. I been thinking to myself lately if I have been getting used to the idea of "reading" as an excuse to just read everything that doesn't pertain to my priorities. Seeing someone describe it perfectly like I felt it makes it much clearer. Ill grab some freelancing/data books in the meantime.(Gotta finish unscripted first tho)

IMHO from experience, I feel like people are so in love with the personal growth, mindset, finance side of books since it changed their lives that they are honestly scared to put them down and read something else for fear old scripts might come back. Its almost like "I gotta be reading this 24/7 or I'll go back to my old self again!"

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Love this. Stop reading to read. Read to solve a problem.

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

*** ACTION ***

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 20, 2012
For some people, reading can be a form of escapisim just like TV and can even be addicting. Proceed with caution. If the book or article does not help you or bring value in this specific stage of your life, skip it.

Colin B

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 27, 2017
Australia

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

*** ACTION ***

LOL - threw the interviewer. (Great answer)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Ripe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
May 25, 2017
NL
Where can we find this podcast episode in question? (I just ran out of audiobooks ;P)

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
There are books that are transcending current problems. At least for me, and that book is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (the Hays translation is my favorite). I have re-read this book many times.

The only way I can explain why is:
1. It grounds me and allows me to go through life like a bamboo: flexible and resistant
2. Every time I open it, read something useful

I just randomly opened a page and read the following:
"Disgraceful: for the soul to give up when the body is still going". If I had a bad day and I read this, it would push me to keep grinding.​

Another random page:
"Give yourself a gift: the present moment.
People out for posthumous fame forget that the Generations To Come will be the same annoying people they know now. And just as mortal. What does it matter to you if they say x about you, or think y"​
Aka f*** the hater. Keep learning.

Last one:
"Dig deep; the water - goodness - is down there. And as long as you keep digging, it will keep bubbling up"​
aka persistence

That said, execution is king! Fully agree with that.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
I realised very recently my mistake in just reading. I had put this down as a form of taking actions, when in reality just reading business books is a brilliant example of action faking. Learning theory is nothing like learning from your mistakes. It’s a good starting point, but unless you then follow up with action, it’s a waste of time.

Reading too much can also slow your progress down in a number or ways. For example:
  • You spend too long trying to develop the perfect system without having any real world experience. In reality you need to get something to market and adapt your system to the feedback

• Analysis Paralysis – you spend too long comparing your expectations against the charts in the books

• You wait to launch until after you’ve read one more book on start-ups

• You read something that introduces doubt into your mind so you postpone launching while you research more
I’ve been guilty of all these things, but learnt far more from having a product to market and getting feedback from customers or sales numbers.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

*** ACTION ***

(Looking at my bookshelf and computer files) AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin

How to change a tire?

OR

The Lean Startup?

*** ACTION ***

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin
The best book is the one that inspires you to finally take action. I was so sick of my job ,it was time to leave . I didnt want another job ,I just wanted to start my own business . Fear kept me from going on my own. But every day for lunch I would read inspiring books about people being successful , that helped me get over the fear and take a leap of faith . It was scary but looking back 27 years later it turned out to be the best decision I ever made

Interesting Life

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 2, 2016
New York
Different keys for different locks

(No, that's not the name of a book. Different books can make sense for different people in different situations at different times in their life)

Whenever people ask a question like that where they ask "what's the one best _____?", I think it would make more sense to ask what are five excellent or some of the best _____________?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
Everyone will have their own best book and I also think they're likely to change throughout their lifetime as they grow and change.

For me, Mindset by Prof Carol Dweck was life changing because it made me realise I had a fixed mindset and I was my own limiting factor. For me it was the right book at the right time, but it wouldn't be right for everyone.

I read books regularly but every now and then I read something that sparks me into action. I realise now after reading @MJ DeMarco 's post that it's because I've lacked focus in my book choices. Going forwards, I'll make sure I'm choosing books on my current knowledge gap, not what looks interesting.

Interesting Life

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 2, 2016
New York
Millionaire Fastlane (That's why I'm here), Unchained Man, Four Hour Workweek (Hey I like it), Who Moved My Cheese, Play to Win...

I'd say though that the books that led you to taking real world action are the only ones that count. Some books can make you feel good, but if you don't act then what's the point? You might as well be reading 50 Shades of Grey (that's an UNSCRIPTED joke ;))

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.