The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Team Producer - in private Life as well?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Patrick Jones

growing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
To quote the man himself:
The winning team is Team Producer. Reshape life’s focus on producing, not consuming. When you reframe your thinking from majority thinking (consumer) to minority thinking (producer), you effectively switch teams and allegiances. (MJ DeMarco)

We all understand what that means for our business.

But what about our private lives? Does reshaping our life's focus reach that far?

How do you spend the non-business part of your life? Do you produce by making music, performing a craft, etc.? Or do you consume in front of Netflix?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
yes. i "produce" art as a hobby... and another thing that is very big in a "consumer" vs "producer" way is food. sure it isnt possible for everyone. but i think it is super important to (know how) to grow your own food. small garden. or bake your own bread. make your own marmelade. make (some...) the things you consume. and its a fun hobby ;)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
But what about our private lives? Does reshaping our life's focus reach that far?

Life is life. There's no "business" life and "private" life, particularly for an entrepreneur. You either have a true entrepreneurial mindset or you don't—and IMO it applies to all aspects of one's life; there's no distinction between business and personal.

One of the things I despise the most is people saying stuff like "nothing personal, it's just business." If you wouldn't screw over your friend or family member, you shouldn't screw over your client or business partner.

Following this train of thought, if you're producing a lot as an entrepreneur, shouldn't you produce a lot outside of your business, too?

I could definitely produce more in my personal life, but I do my best to produce in the form of:
  • empathy and support for anyone who needs it—not only your friends and family, you can even be empathetic to a janitor who engages in small talk with you (I'm by no means great at it, but trying to at least be a pleasant person to talk with),
  • reaching out to a friend to hang out together—a lot of people lack initiative, even for something as simple as having dinner together or taking a walk. Be the one who takes the initiative and has a positive impact on another person's happiness.
  • organizing get-togethers for a bigger group of people—more complicated to organize stuff like a house party, playing board games, going to an escape room, playing frisbee, having barbecue, etc.
  • cooking—probably one of the simplest ways to produce value in your personal life (just finished baking banana bread mostly for others rather than myself).
  • learning and general self-improvement—and I mean it in useful terms like learning how to communicate better, how to be more positive (and infect others with your positivity), and also hard skills like fixing stuff, math, first aid skills, etc.
  • taking care of your health and fitness—healthy, fit, strong people are happier and generally more useful (isn't it sad when parents are so unfit that they can't keep up with their kids?). They also serve as inspiration for others.
  • sharing with friends stuff they might find interesting—don't you feel appreciated when a friend sends you a link to something that made them think of you?
  • sharing your experience and/or opinions (including participating in forums like this one)—doesn't necessarily have to be about business or anything money-making. You can provide a lot of value by sharing what you know or sharing your perspective.
  • being a good example—and there are countless ways to set a good example. Be punctual. Be polite. Be disciplined. Be respectful. Be appreciative. Keep your promises. Be honest.
The list goes on and on, but in the end it comes down to the realization that you can provide immense value out of thin air if you make others feel good or at least help them feel better. As in business, by providing value to others you also create it for yourself.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I help nieces and nephews with Maths grinds. I help them with CVs, and give them advice on interviews.

When I’m out and about I chat with folks and ask how they’re doing.

I smile first.

I hold doors open.

I’m aware of my surroundings and spot when people are struggling. I’ll help where I can, or give an encouraging smile.

I park up and run back to help the old man push his car to the side of the road when everyone drives past.

I say “Nice one!” when a kid comes past and does a cool trick on his skateboard.

When I’m a delegate on a course I smile and nod encouragingly at the instructor. I know there’s nothing worse than people switching off when you’re presenting.

I ask business owners how business is going.

I ask parents how their kids are.

I say thank you and that the food was delicious to the waiter or waitress who clears up my table.

I take nieces and nephews swimming, or mind them for a few hours in the house so the mothers can go for drinks with their sisters.

I chatter away in forums and Facebook groups.

I avoid the arguments and name calling.

I put my hand up to do the best man’s speech when everyone else suddenly found their shoes interesting.

I put my hand up in school when I had a question to ask.

I go talk to the person at the party who’s on their own, or the new person in school.

Business and sales is just me being me. It doesn’t have to be different.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
When I was a teenager, I provided child care at an event. As part of our training, the organizers introduced the concept of the following spectrum: At any given point, we can choose to be an energy giver, an energy waster, or an energy taker.

An energy giver is the person who is smiling at others, leaving things better than they found them, and going the extra mile. It's the person who is generous and grateful, who finds the good in others, and who praises their accomplishments.

An energy waster is a person who is doing only what is required, while an energy taker is a person who actually squanders resources, mooches off of others, or drains the energy and activity of others.

Something about that concept really stuck with me, and I think it's a mindset that applies to all of life.

How far does it extend? I think it extends as far as the 2nd law of thermodynamics extends. Disorder in any system tends to increase. Those of us who are "producers," those who provide value, are expending effort to create order, reduce chaos, and leave the world a better place.

And that's something we can do that in both our business and our personal lives.

Patrick Jones

growing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
Very interesting replies! It hadn't occured to me to think of "non-material" value production.

What you all are writing about giving support and kindness is inspiring!

yes. i "produce" art as a hobby... and another thing that is very big in a "consumer" vs "producer" way is food. sure it isnt possible for everyone. but i think it is super important to (know how) to grow your own food. small garden. or bake your own bread. make your own marmelade. make (some...) the things you consume. and its a fun hobby ;)

Yes, there is something special about being able to cover the bare necessities with your own hands. I started tailoring about a year ago and it's very satisfying to put my own clothes on my back.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Yes, there is something special about being able to cover the bare necessities with your own hands. I started tailoring about a year ago and it's very satisfying to put my own clothes on my back.

tailoring is also in my list. it is relativly easy to make tshirts and stuff like that. my girlfriend is tailoring arround and it is realy nice to see.

i dont define myself as a "prepper" or some zombie apokalypse guy. but it is indeed cool to see that you are able to do things "yourself".

"self employment" and making money systems "yourself" fits very well to self independence as a person and self reliance.

my big goal is a small farm where i can produce food and enjoy quiet rural life - while also earning money on the internet. "digital nomad" but not on thailands beaches but in the german countrieside.
trying to be as self reliant as possible - own money, own food and own thougths. ;)

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
When taking care of my garden I automatically do some work in my neighbor's garden since I know he is in a lot of pain.

I always say hi to people when passing by. That is when it's just the two of us. No need to say hi to everyone when walking in a city :)

I hold the door open for people and let them go in or out first. Always!

I always smile at the girls behind the cashier in the supermarket and make small talk when possible. (Also when it's man) They really appreciate it. Nothing worse then saying thank you and have a nice day for a 600 times a day when almost no one reciprocates.

I stop when someone his car broke down. Well, in the Netherlands I'll stop. In Brazil I will think 3 times before I stop because it's to dangerous.

I help old people.

I encourage young people when they talk about their dreams or future instead of talking them down with stories about how the reality is sometimes different.

My garden is nature first. Lots of flowers for the bees, lot of hiding places for animals and a lot of trees for birds.

These are just a few examples of how I try to add value to others. Man and animal. I can honestly say that it's working and I get a lot in return.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.