The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tai Lopez Marketing Strategy

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
You know...

Tai Lopez, as it's been said, is a master marketer.

Now *erm... Introducing Frank Kern:

I've been through Mass Control and thought it was interesting, as a friend shared it with me. Here are some excerpts from my notes, as Frank truly is a master marketer as well, doing info-product launches well over the $1mm mark in a day, and consistently charging over $2-5k for his courses.

My notes are in italics and quoted. I'll leave it up to you to draw similarities.

"Very important to do a state shift, or a pattern break. Break people out of the normal patterns they have for that particular environment."

Tai instantly throws a headline or something attention-grabbing so people stop what they're doing and focus.

"Sequence:

- Establish rapport

- Raise common objection / overcome it

- Product demonstration

- Risk Reversal

- Reason ‘WHY’

- Provide scarcity

- Make irresistible offer

- Disqualify bad prospects"

Tai's video sequence: immediately tells you that he was poor, with $47, living on a couch

He raises the usual objections: too expensive, no connections, etc.

He tells you exactly what you'll get inside, and how it will benefit your self-interest

There's a reason why you should buy the products, i.e., correlating it to future health, wealth, love, and happiness.

Tai provides scarcity, saying the first 100 people that click on this video, will get this deal

He reverses risk, because you can return it within 30 days! Free on him.

He slashes the price from starting by: "It won't be $5000, it won't be $2000, it won't even be $100!"

He disqualifies you in the pre-pre-sale funnel vid: "If you're a pessimist, if you're a skeptic, don't click here" Something Frank said: "Basically, if you don't punch babies and love Hitler, click here" (LOL)

"The testimonials are focused on OUTCOME results, benefits."

Tai, on his sales page for the 67 steps/accelerator has TONS of testimonials flashing by, that are mostly all focused on what people GOT / ACHIEVED by buying his stuff

"Whenever you’re similar with someone, you trust them. “If you’re like me…”

Tai constantly makes connections and builds rapport with his subjects. Constantly.

"Suppose that they don’t want to do much work. Things that work for you, or that you put to work, etc."

When you "utilize" these principles, you can be successful, and they will start working for you. This is important, and Tai is a user of this technique too.

"WEEK 1: Planting the Seeds

Money Magnets: Give them free stuff so they like you and buy your stuff later.

4 Components of Mass Control:

1. Interest & Desire

2. Bonding & Trust

3. Proof

4. Samples

Write out sticking points and their solution. This destroys objections."

Obviously, from the days we discovered e-mail opt-ins, we understand this works. However, if you sign up to Tai's e-mail list, you'll get free book summaries every DAY, which is pretty cool. He also drops tons of value on Youtube for free, and his site's blog posts, interviews, and more.

You'll also belong to the 1% of people who better themselves. People wanna belong. Why else are we Fastlaners here? Of course to better ourselves, but we like to band together and help each other out. There is powerful, primal psychology here at work from our ancestors' natural hunter-gatherer mindset, still inscribed in our DNA.

" People can’t control the “expensive=best” heuristic.
Different + More Expensive = Automatic Desire to Acquire
Charge more, sell more anyways, be different, get more lifetime value and word of mouth"
Sell the opposite. They sell e-product, you sell physical. They sell physical, you sell e-product."

Tai is selling a very expensive business accelerator for about $4k. His stuff is different because he offers the videos, the comment section afterwards, the book club, and ships you a free book with the 67 steps by Drucker.

"
Say it and maybe it’s true.
Other people say it and it’s probably true.
Lots of others say it and it’s almost certainly true.
It’s in print: it’s definitely true"

He networks with billionaires, and through the association bias, we see him on a similar level as them. He brings many others in to vouch for him, like pro bball players, and investors.

This part is very important:

"
5 Key Points to Your Character

1. Your Origination / Where You Came From

2. What You Stand For: Beliefs and Values

3. Magic Powers

4. Fables

5. Secret Language"

Tai uses it all.

1. He was broke, sleeping on a couch in NC, with $47
2. He believes everyone can be rich, happy, and successful if they put the right principles to work
3. He has the ability to bring you there through his teachings. He's the guy
4. He ALWAYS goes into a story, or off on a tangent. Sometimes never comes back
5. Blue-footed booby birds, Pareto efficiencies, 4 M's of Motivation, Charlie Munger, Abraham Lincoln, Elon Musk starting 3 businesses at once, Kobe Bryant putting in 3 hours of draining baskets before his workout, etc. etc.

He uses each one of these too:

"3 Million-Dollar Storylines

1. Reluctant Hero

- You’re a regular guy, you’re just selling this stuff because people want it, you would rather stay quiet and live your life

- People wish the same thing would happen to them

- You’re not trying to sell, you’re doing the market a favor

- NOT a guru, NOT a professional, just sharing knowledge

- Introduce flaws and introduce reluctance – regular guy - People identify with failures

- Assume they accept you and be thankful, “aww, shucks everyone has been so nice, we’re not part of this guru community”

2. Hometown boy makes good

- The underdog, the hometown boy loses and redeems, and YOU can do it too

- Take them on a trip that leads through a range of emotions from their past, present and future

- I sucked. Then I made a discovery. It turned my life around. Now I’ll share (sell) it w/ you

- I know how you feel, I was in your position, I turned it around and so can you.

3. Us Vs. Them

- We like to blame our problems on outside factors. It’s not your fault!

- People love to be included in “us”. Highlighting “them” bonds us together

- By not being “them” we become credible. Point the finger elsewhere

- By joining us, you’re part of something greater than yourself

- When you let people in on secrets that others don’t want them to know, they become one of your group

- Everyone else is wrong, to fix your problems, buy my stuff. “Close the gap”

- Plant a feeling or desired outcome in their mind, then link it back to you

- Agree with the customer, and acknowledge their problem as valid.

- Isolate a general “them” and defend why you’re NOT any of those things"

He's not a guru, he's just a regular guy like you who used specific principles to get where he is. He was the underdog, he made it out when the odds were stacked against him. It's not your fault that your poor as hell... It's the schools, and the governments, and inadequate lack of mentorship.

"
People LOVE to have some sort of interaction with “the guy” or “touch the hem"

He offers limited-space-dinners and conferences so you can go learn from him in person, and "touch the hem"

And for the magic bullet:

"
Magic Bullet

- What’s the market’s biggest desire, and what’s the least resistance path they can fulfill that desire with?

- What’s the market’s biggest problem?

- What miracle would deliver their biggest desire while solving their biggest problem?

- How would it work, specifically?

- Does my product do anything close?

Proof

- Prove that it’s worked before, or it’s worked for others. Multimedia is ideal to deliver it

- Multiple instances are ideal

- Gotta have proof. Without it, you’re just a talker

Low Self-Esteem Success Chance

- If I can just do a fraction of “that” I’ll do great

- Down-step from the biggest promise and say if you even do a little of what I’ve done…"

Self-explanitory.

"Shock & Awe + Proof + Useful but incomplete = buying frenzy

Death Grip: Always apply this in variations

Scarcity + Increased coolness + Outside Threat = Buying Frenzy

Scarcity:

- Do it wrong and you’ve got too much pressure

- Limit quantity, price or bonuses

- Don’t beat them over the head

- “not trying to put pressure on you BUT…”

- PULL do not PUSH. It’s natural human psychology

Increased Coolness

- Prospects already want your stuff

- Increase their desire by adding an unannounced element, and make it COOLER

- Good pressure and you just put more value and excitement

- Stack the value and throw in bonuses

Outside Threat

- Some outside factor that increases scarcity

- Blame for the scarcity is not placed on you

- Creates social proof and positions you as the hero"

Almost every piece of content Tai has is useful, but incomplete. As nradam said, it's 10 top things, then only 3 delivered. But if you want the rest, click here.

And finally:

"5 Value/Kindness Pillars

1. Know Their Desired Outcome

2. Overcome Their Skepticism w/ Shock & Awe Coolness / Proof

3. Demonstrate That They Can Achieve Their Desired Outcome

4. Don’t Just Show Them – Give Them The Tools To Do It

5. Motivate Them To Go Further – Make An Offer

Here’s some free value, and here is my more advanced strategy to teach you even more of what you want to know."

He knows what they want. He is shockingly cool and awesome. He shows social proof. He demonstrates it's possible for you. He gives you what you need incompletely. He makes ... many offers.

I hope you guys can see the shocking similarity between their work. That said, I have nothing against either men; I think at the very least we can all watch professionals of a craft and get inspired. Hate 'em or love 'em, they know what they're doing and they've put the hours in, and I admire that.

I've actually gone through the 67 steps, and some of the blue belt MBA program, and I got value. Tai also inspired my reading to pick up significantly, and I went from reading maybe a book a month, to consistently 3-4 per month minimum.

Also, a fantastic sales video for MANY of these benefits stacked up, is the 67 steps sales vid:

I think it's always important to learn something from everyone, even if it's what you don't want.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Not amazed by his success but by how fast he achieved his following..... seriously viral.

THAT takes some serious networking + luck

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Tai is a psychological, social, and marketing mastermind. The guy is seriously way more brilliant than he lets on. He's huge in affiliate marketing (which he never goes over in YouTube or snapchat, @millmentor on Instagram has posted screenshots of Tai Lopez being #1 on affiliate product leaderboards). He also makes an insane monthly profit from his membership site. I believe it's 200,000 members paying a fee to Tai every month. He also hosts mastermind seminars and meetups at his mansion, averaging $15,000-$20,000 each meetup.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Not amazed by his success but by how fast he achieved his following..... seriously viral.

THAT takes some serious networking + luck

or just $$$ on paid advertising? He just hammered the web with his "Here in my garage" ad. He hit a really wide demo HARD. You either loved it or hated it, but either way, you knew about it.

When everyone is suddenly familiar with a 'new thing' be it, a person, event etc. Parodies will inevitably follow because of the new common ground the humour is based on.

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
"Your repetition is your reputation"

A video pops up in my YT and he opens with that. In my head, "I agree." Then my mind shifts to "Who is this guy?" Then I notice he has a inner-city accent (he does) and I'm intrigued. Then I see the nice house, and i'm like -- "ok, now you have my attention."

But then i'm so immune to these types now, that after a few videos, I detected very little value so I just closed down and did not get hooked at all. Now, there's this fella named Brian Johnson (Philosophers notes) and he does what Tai does but without the blah blah.

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
Yeah he definitely internalized all the marketing lessons spouted by names like Eban Pagan, Frank Kern, Jay Abraham, Dan Kennedy and more.

But what I'd like to know is....

What are these businesses that he's an investor in?

You always see these comments like "Tai Lopez is an investor, partner, advisor to 20 multimillion dollar businesses"

The shady internet marketing world runs on social proof....

But since Tai doesn't have the big names behind him (as an investor or 'featured in')....NYT, FORBES, CNN etc UBER, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram...as an investor

He smashes you in the face with 'the lifestyle'. Because who'd argue with random instagram models, used ferraris and lambos and condos and homes spread across CA?

Recently he just bought a Ghost. So he 'makes money'. I just always feel 'weird' about Tai.

I just don't trust people totally who never reveal what it is they do....outside of putting asses on seminar seats and making courses.

Imagine David Heinemeier Hansson talking about everything under the sun in 'inspirational' videos, EXCEPT his journey building Rails and 37 Signals, and you have to crawl all over google to find him mentioning Rails but it only takes 2 seconds to find him in a video surrounded by models and courtside at laker games lol.

But few demand this of Tai because they're 'bought in'. Put more accurately, Tai has intentionally directed his message to people who don't care about any of the stuff I mentioned.

They just get their 'entrepreneurial high' from Tai, and (subconsciously) believe that stupid internet marketing 'wealth belief"

"never question anyone's wealth if you want wealth in return, because money runs away from haters" <--- permutate this any way you like.

Notice how you don't hear Warren Buffett, Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Bill Gates etc say this shit....It's never guys who built something with their own hands saying this. It's never guys who employed 1000s of people saying this shit.....

It's ALWAYS "internet scum" as Dan Pena would say..... who say this as if it's deep.

They are protecting themselves, and installing a belief in you to not question them lest you scare away the 'wealth gods'

hahahahahaha <--- my attempt at @Ubermensch laugh.

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
The main factor of his success in marketing is his ability to convey social value and social proof. Having Marc Cuban on video with you automatically qualifies you to a lot of wantrepreneurs.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Yeah he definitely internalized all the marketing lessons spouted by names like Eban Pagan, Frank Kern, Jay Abraham, Dan Kennedy and more.

What are these businesses that he's an investor in?

You always see these comments like "Tai Lopez is an investor, partner, advisor to 20 multimillion dollar businesses"

The shady internet marketing world runs on social proof....

I just don't trust people totally who never reveal what it is they do....outside of putting asses on seminar seats and making courses.

It's ALWAYS "internet scum" as Dan Pena would say..... who say this as if it's deep.

He's on point though - why reinvent the wheel?

Lopez mentioned nightclubs and affiliate marketing, a couple of times. He likes to brag about being an early AdWords adopter, but along that, he brings up those, "Work on the beach making millions with only a laptop" type of products.

Knowing how he spins stuff, I imagine anytime he even chats with someone who owns a company, and tells his story/methods, he puts that down as advising. It's not wrong because you can always learn stuff from listening to other successful people, but it may not be the definition of "adviser" most people accept.

He had a guy come on who supposedly made a couple of millions using his program, but he looked like a sack of potatoes. Again, it's probably part of his whole plan to attract those kind of people.

Dan Pena isn't much different in marketing strategy. There was one of his Q&A videos where he mentioned that he takes like 170 pills a day, but then tells anyone who asks what he takes to F off. At the same time, he brags in every other video that he has high energy.

At the end of the day, if you have to pay someone to make you rich, you won't get very far.

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
Dan Pena is way different. He gives away all of his material for free. Dan Pena tells everyone to F*ck off and read his site, newsletters, and get his old programs from torrents & Dan Lok. Or pony up the 10-20k to go to his seminar where he then tells you could have done it all with his online product LOL.

I only brought him up cause I love the term "net scum" that he uses.

Back to Tai.

I just think it's weird that we can go to Angel.co and see what Tim Ferris, Cuban, Vaynerchuk, etc have invested in.

But mum's the word for a guy who sells $997 courses.

To me it's more than a privacy concern because he shares everything else. Here's what I'm eating, driving, dating, living...here's how I play & party, how I relax, who I'm with etc.

But never....here's how I work, here's the work I did, here's what I built with my own hands.

The real builders IMHO have built so much it's impossible to hide the value they created (especially when they become public youtube figures).

Nathan Latka (who earlier this year sold his company Heyo) wasn't too impressed with Tai when he interviewed him.

But as a marketer yes he's undeniably brilliant; one of the shrewdest to come along in a long time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Keep the conversation CONTAINED to marketing, we already have a mega thread on Tai. We don't need 2 convos...

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
To me it's more than a privacy concern because he shares everything else. Here's what I'm eating, driving, dating, living...here's how I play & party, how I relax, who I'm with etc.

But never....here's how I work, here's the work I did, here's what I built with my own hands.

The real builders IMHO have built so much it's impossible to hide the value they created (especially when they become public youtube figures).

But as a marketer yes he's undeniably brilliant; one of the shrewdest to come along in a long time.

Act as if, right?

Another thing you notice is when you check his social media followers. On his official website you have numbers, and some of them are under reported. I wonder if that's a result of delayed updates by the software or to make you think, in those few seconds, he received +X followers.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
This youtube video has 16 Million views.

I'm wondering if his company forms partnerships with channels like this to purposely make fun of him, to spread his brand into new demographics.

Or if they just organically picked him up and it was a good viral marketing strategy....

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
I noticed Tai rotates between 2 of the recorded live talks he used to do a few months ago. He runs the videos for hours at a time, and also at night. Generally, they have 100-200 people watching.

He essentially brought 'late night infomercials' to YouTube.

Genius.

They must convert like mad for him to use them over and over.

The guy is sharp.

Average Joe thinks "oh Tai just has a lot to talk to us about"

Reality: Tai is TESTING what pitch / angle / series of topics most resonate with his target audience... once the numbers bear fruit.

Stay on it.

And now that pitch is on autopilot. He wouldn't use it if it didn't work.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
This youtube video has 16 Million views.

I'm wondering if his company forms partnerships with channels like this to purposely make fun of him, to spread his brand into new demographics.

Or if they just organically picked him up and it was a good viral marketing strategy....

He's definitely in the echelon where no publicity is bad publicity. Even the bad publicity and having people make fun of him and debate him draws more eyeballs to his message.

Master marketer. Lots to be learned by watching and studying him. When I look at marketing like this, my question is always this – is what I am learning what I should be learning?

I learned a lot of things I wish I hadn't learned. What you learn ultimately creates a lens over your perception. Having certain lessons in my mind, like how to manipulate needy people, can color my perception of how to help those that aren't so needy.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Dan Pena is way different. He gives away all of his material for free.

what material that says something of value?(serious, curious question) i read through a number of his things after i kept hearing about him, but was unable to find any meat.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
He's definitely in the echelon where no publicity is bad publicity. Even the bad publicity and having people make fun of him and debate him draws more eyeballs to his message.

Master marketer. Lots to be learned by watching and studying him. When I look at marketing like this, my question is always this – is what I am learning what I should be learning?

I learned a lot of things I wish I hadn't learned. What you learn ultimately creates a lens over your perception. Having certain lessons in my mind, like how to manipulate needy people, can color my perception of how to help those that aren't so needy.

^^^ This for me.

"Is what I am learning what I should be learning?"

He's a good marketer, and he knows his audience/market, but ... No thanks.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
He didn't get it right on the first shot, in fact he had to test over 30 different video variations until he established the Lambo video as his control. What you can learn from him is to keep on testing.

SmittyMcdougal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Aug 29, 2015
I think i saw him on stocktwits daytrading/pumping stocks. Hes no different than the rest of those slime balls, its all a flashy routine.

1. Rented cars
2. Hot chicks
3. Mega mansions

Its all to make you believe they have some secret that they will sell you for a price.

Its for the extra gullible

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Kujo.show

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 21, 2016
I've tried searching on YouTube but to no success. Link me, this sounds hilarious.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I do not really see any real value from him though..

value is not what we think but what customers think

so if people think that Tai Lopez 's stuff is valuable, we have nothing to say against that

for me, value is chocolate but if we ask a fisherman, he will say that value for fishes means bugs, not chocolate.

maybe fishes are idiots for not liking chocolate

but we can't convince them otherwise anyway

Last edited:

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
He provides 0 value. His model has existed for years, the rich asian man on 3am infomercials showing a big house and girls and getting you to attend his seminar. That is Tai Lopez except he uses modern platforms to market like facebook and youtube. There are people who fall for this stuff all the time and always will and he capitalizes on it. I watched his live facebook stream and he tells you if you dont have money to use a credit card to buy his course. His course is utter dog shit btw.

I can't block ads on my xbox and his ad pops ups all the time so it makes me hate him even more. I let it run for at least 10 seconds so he gets charged for the ad which sounds petty but I strongly disagree with all of his business and marketing tactics and his ads annoy the hell out of me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.