The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Swearing on YouTube

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Thoughts and knowledge on swearing on YouTube.

I understand videos can be set to ‘over 18’s’.

I am planning how to approach my own channel and I have a damn filthy mouth

What effect does this have!

Are you seen negatively by YT for it?

What about using bleeps?

Any feedback much appreciated

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

What about using bleeps?

It's only a problem if your monetization strategy is ad revenue. :cool:

Beyond that, people who like what you have to say will subscribe even if you swear.

Some will subscribe because of it.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
It's only a problem if your monetization strategy is ad revenue. :cool:

Beyond that, people who like what you have to say will subscribe even if you swear.

Some will subscribe because of it.

Sorry can you elaborate?

If I wish to make money by utilising the ad revenue on YT?

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

What about using bleeps?

probably not a good idea to swear on youtube. They have been cracking down and demonetizing videos that have medium or strong profanity. If your focus is to make money through adsense, I can see it negatively impacting your earnings.

However, if your using youtube as a marketing platform to advertise yourself or your brand, and being filthy mouth is your brand image then go for it. Gary V, cusses all the time, but that is his branding.

A

Anon79341

Sorry can you elaborate?

If I wish to make money by utilising the ad revenue on YT?
I think he means that sponsors who are paying to put ads on YouTube are not willing to associate their brand with a channel that uses a bad language. Or it can bring some trouble from YT when you want to monetize your channel

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
probably not a good idea to swear on youtube. They have been cracking down and demonetizing videos that have medium or strong profanity. If your focus is to make money through adsense, I can see it negatively impacting your earnings.

However, if your using youtube as a marketing platform to advertise yourself or your brand, and being filthy mouth is your brand image then go for it. Gary V, cusses all the time, but that is his branding.

Yes I wish to start on YouTube.
I’ve not planned out how to monetise anything yet but know what I want to talk about.
I am branded as a female Gary V.

Which is why I was unsure, being new .

CoolNerd

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 17, 2020
Europe
It's only a problem if your monetization strategy is ad revenue.
I don't know much about this but I've noticed that several channels which don't use adds on their videos started beeping out the swear words as well. They probably have a reason for it. Perhaps the YT algorithm even suppresses views based on swearing? Or maybe there are afraid of having their channels cancelled for "Breaking community guidelines" ...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've seen some really funny channels with a lot of swearing. It's the swearing itself that makes them funny.

Recently @Timmy C sent me a link to a video he'd posted to one of his channels. Tim swore once by accident so categorised that video as not being suitable for children (YouTube insists you do this for each video, or for your whole channel).

I clicked the link to watch his video, but it wouldn't let me watch it till I'd signed into YouTube, which I didn't do because I was on my phone, couldn't remember my login or password, and because it's too hard work.

Do you want people to share your videos so other people can view them easily?

(My personal view: I find it a shame Gary V can't stop swearing. It's not that I am allergic to swearing (see above), but it's because it's not necessary for his message in his case. Sure, he's being himself and kudos to him. I swear occasionally, but don't want that to be in my recordings. One day my kids might want to listen to those recordings. One day grandkids might want to listen to them. I'd rather my legacy didn't include swear words. I think @Kak said something similar in his radio show thread.)

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
I've seen some really funny channels with a lot of swearing. It's the swearing itself that makes it funny.

Recently @Timmy C sent me a link to a video he'd posted to one of his channels. Tim had swore once by accident so categorised that video as not being suitable for children (YouTube insists you do this for each video, or for your whole channel).

I clicked the link to watch his video, but it wouldn't let me watch it till I'd signed into YouTube, which I didn't do because I was on my phone, couldn't remember my login or password, and because it's too hard work.

So do you want people to be able to share your videos and for the people they're shared to to be able to view them easily?

(My personal view: I find it a shame Gary V can't stop swearing. It's not that I am allergic to swearing (see above), but it's because it's not necessary for his message in his case. Sure, he's being himself and kudos to him. I swear occasionally, but don't want that to be in my recordings. One day my kids might want to listen to those recordings. One day grandkids might want to listen to them. I'd rather my legacy didn't include swear words. I think @Kak said something similar in his radio show thread.)

Yea that makes sense.
I suppose in editing I can sort this out but when I get in a passionate state,
Sometimes it appears without me even realising .
I want to create shareable and relatable content .

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Then my advice is to not swear, redo the take if you need to, and/or bleep it out if it's slipped through.
I think over time it will come more natural to you.

I think you can be edgy, blunt, controversial, honest, cutting, etc without swearing. I think you can rant and use other words too.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Then my advice is to not swear, redo the take if you need to, and/or bleep it out if it's slipped through.
I think over time it will come more natural to you.

I think you can be edgy, blunt, controversial, honest, cutting, etc without swearing. I think you can rant and use other words too.
Yes.
Maybe I’m assuming this of myself without the actual experience of trying, although I’m not new to video itself, I want to get it right.

thanks for advice

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I've seen some really funny channels with a lot of swearing. It's the swearing itself that makes it funny.

Recently @Timmy C sent me a link to a video he'd posted to one of his channels. Tim had swore once by accident so categorised that video as not being suitable for children (YouTube insists you do this for each video, or for your whole channel).

So do you want people to be able to share your videos and for the people they're shared to to be able to view them easily?

I think it's a calculated move GV's part. A lot of what he lets on about is masking his true intentions.

As he's always saying, watch what he does, not what he says.... so ....

"I don't sell you anything, it's all free. I expect nothing in return." At the same time he's making a couple mill$ on his one day office tour. It's a tactic I noticed on other channels. You build up your audience, until the bell curve slows down. Promising not to monetize or "sell out." Then when the hype dies down, and people start losing interest, you hit them with a paid whatever. That way, only the die-hard fans are still around, and they'll buy in without much question.

Similarly, his cursing keeps the kind of people, the "Karens" away so they don't complain at every misstep.

People who curse, or don't mind other people cursing are more laid back. No example needed, just reflect on what you see in your own life. How many high strung people vs chill ones often use such words?

Psychologists say swearing in certain contexts is a sign of higher intelligence. So when he weeds out the lower lever of his audience, he's left with the kind that take action. The kind who do have businesses and $12k to spend in a day.

I've noticed with my clients as well. The successful ones are prone to dropping f-and-s bombs on the regular.

Or maybe I'm reading way too much into it, and making connections that don't exist. *shrug*

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Ironically enough, sometimes I find that swearing can help to 'cut through the shit'

For example, when I listen to Gary V, I feel like he's speaking to me as a real person because he swears

That could just be because I swear too...

On the other end of the extreme, many people on LinkedIn are overly polite to each other. "Congratulations!" "Have a great day!". Maybe some people are being sincere, but so much of it seems like bs to me. Do you speak to strangers in real life like that? I doubt it.

I think you should just speak as you would normally.

Although if you do swear in literally every sentence, it might be a good idea to try and tone down anyway.

But swearing to emphasise a point can help to drive your point across (IMHO).

Plus, as the others have said, it depends on whether you want to monetize your videos through ad revenue etc

If it was me, well, I'd probably say F*ck it :rofl: I'd rather be true to myself than try to earn a few £££ or boost my video in the algorithm. But maybe my priorities are wrong? ;)

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
For example, when I listen to Gary V, I feel like he's speaking to me as a real person because he swears
If only Liz & Phil would do the same.
Although I hear the air was blue when he flipped his Range Rover.

justindircksen

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 17, 2020
LaGrange, KY
Yea that makes sense.
I suppose in editing I can sort this out but when I get in a passionate state,
Sometimes it appears without me even realising .
‘Shareable and relatable content’ sounds like someone is gonna start cleaning up the wordage. Prolly the smart choice. I’m sure you can still be yourself and authentic.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I vote no, you will just alienate certain people and stunt growth, potty mouths aren't to great anyways.

Also not being able to monetize is an issue aswell.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I say the F word a minimum 1000 times a day.... but.... when others use it, I find that it's not really needed for them to be funny or get their point across. Sure, Eddies Got Jokes needs to talk that way for the jokes to come out funny sometimes, but if someone is just trying to get information, it's not needed. My wife has actually said that I've cut back a lot lately. She never cusses.

Normally, when I am talking business and I do not get people to make the deal that I want, it's because I say a bad word. 98% of the time if I leave out the bad words, I can get people to do great deals.... but if I say just 1 F word..... I don't get the deal 98% of the time.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
I think it's a calculated move GV's part. A lot of what he lets on about is masking his true intentions.

As he's always saying, watch what he does, not what he says.... so ....

"I don't sell you anything, it's all free. I expect nothing in return." At the same time he's making a couple mill$ on his one day office tour. It's a tactic I noticed on other channels. You build up your audience, until the bell curve slows down. Promising not to monetize or "sell out." Then when the hype dies down, and people start losing interest, you hit them with a paid whatever. That way, only the die-hard fans are still around, and they'll buy in without much question.

Similarly, his cursing keeps the kind of people, the "Karens" away so they don't complain at every misstep.

People who curse, or don't mind other people cursing are more laid back. No example needed, just reflect on what you see in your own life. How many high strung people vs chill ones often use such words?

Psychologists say swearing in certain contexts is a sign of higher intelligence. So when he weeds out the lower lever of his audience, he's left with the kind that take action. The kind who do have businesses and $12k to spend in a day.

I've noticed with my clients as well. The successful ones are prone to dropping f-and-s bombs on the regular.

Or maybe I'm reading way too much into it, and making connections that don't exist. *shrug*

That all makes complete sense.
Thank you

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Ironically enough, sometimes I find that swearing can help to 'cut through the shit'

That could just be because I swear too...

On the other end of the extreme, many people on LinkedIn are overly polite to each other. "Congratulations!" "Have a great day!". Maybe some people are being sincere, but so much of it seems like bs to me. Do you speak to strangers in real life like that? I doubt it.

I think you should just speak as you would normally.

Although if you do swear in literally every sentence, it might be a good idea to try and tone down anyway.

But swearing to emphasise a point can help to drive your point across (IMHO).

Plus, as the others have said, it depends on whether you want to monetize your videos through ad revenue etc

If it was me, well, I'd probably say F*ck it :rofl: I'd rather be true to myself than try to earn a few £££ or boost my video in the algorithm. But maybe my priorities are wrong? ;)

I actually hate LinkedIn.
They are not my people.
I’ve tried 3 times.

Every time I went on, I found myself having to force sentences from my brain about ‘how lovely’ or ‘how unfortunate’ a situation or status was for someone, when really I wanted , “Well that is your own fault pal” or “yes, but now the work starts don’t get too excited yet”.

I think after all these helpful comments I will just be me and tone it down.
Going in with the intent may help me anyway.

thank you

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
I say the F word a minimum 1000 times a day.... but.... when others use it, I find that it's not really needed for them to be funny or get their point across. Sure, Eddies Got Jokes needs to talk that way for the jokes to come out funny sometimes, but if someone is just trying to get information, it's not needed. My wife has actually said that I've cut back a lot lately. She never cusses.

Normally, when I am talking business and I do not get people to make the deal that I want, it's because I say a bad word. 98% of the time if I leave out the bad words, I can get people to do great deals.... but if I say just 1 F word..... I don't get the deal 98% of the time.

I want to say well that’s w4nk

however I suppose it depends who you’re selling to.

thanks for insight

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
My game plan with YT is to expect a lot more censorship in the future.
So while it isn't an issue now I try guess 1/3/5 years down the line - what about then?

I decided swearing was too risky - maybe one day it gets all my content removed.

Annoying? yes. But I am playing in someone else's sandbox and the trend is that it will get more and more "sensitive" as time goes on.

Maybe a good middle ground is to beep over it or have sound kind of sound effect instead.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
What are you talking about and to whom?

'I have a damn filthy mouth' implies it will not be the odd word here and there.

Dan

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
What are you talking about and to whom?

'I have a damn filthy mouth' implies it will not be the odd word here and there.

Dan

day to day I’m fairlybad.
Reigned in per situation.
Ive got it sussed now I think.

and yea, I have the comedic personality of an 11 year.
I laugh at farts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.