The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggestions required (Mathematics magazine)

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hmm hmm... computer manuals for fun but not a math e-magazine... ok, what if i changed the name of the e-zine to "bet and earn" or "learn how to earn" or something like this, do you think it would be more attractive to people who like to read such magazines on their free time?
that's at least a start towards defining your target market.
I think you need to start from scratch. Start by paying attention to needs in the market that aren't being filled well.

Here's an example that I came up with off the top of my head:

What is something that a lot of people do? - Go to the laundromat

When I went there when I was in college, what did I dislike? - lugging everything around

What did I lug that could be made easier? - Clothes - but there are a ton of laundry baskets, bags, etc on the market.

What else did I carry? - Laundry detergent and softener, in big, costco-sized bottles.

Why did I buy those big things? - they're cheaper per oz than the small bottles

What if I made a dispenser of some sort that carried just enough detergent and softener for a few trips to the laundromat? It would have to be completely mess-free....

Where would I sell this? College bookstores to start.

No idea if that's a good idea or not, but the thought process starts from a specific need and comes up with a solution to that need. You started from a very general need (humanity's need for learning) - those are the hardest to solve. They require huge effort - governmental sized effort. You also focused on the solution first - an idea that sounded interesting. Focus on the need first.

Edit: there's a glaring error in my reasoning above - I used myself as a test case. That's generally not a good idea. I'm not a typical person. A better idea would be to ask people that go to the laundromat what kinds of problems they have...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
I'm kinda at a loss. I wouldn't read a magazine on mathematics unless someone paid me for my time. And, I'm a self-described nerd. I read computer manuals for fun. I suspect I'm not alone.
National geographic are currently airing prime time ads in the U.K. For a magazine/book series called "our mathematical world" So there probably is demand.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
In the meantime, have you gathered any data about your market?

1 - aggregate news / publications
2 - let people sign up for free
3 - see what they like / don't like
4 - build your higher quality "certified mathematician" issue and sell it to your base

Lasombra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Dec 22, 2016
Chania
I really need to thank you all! :) It seems that I have been mistaken... but I will follow your advice. Dialogue is bliss after all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.