The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stumbled onto a product people want but isn't available, how to move forward?

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Generally, I keep my endeavors online & digital, never really venturing into the physical realm.

Long story short, posted on Pinterest a stock image of a product that can't be found anywhere online that people are going crazy about. I'm thinking it was handmade. There are Reddit threads asking where to buy it and people forming search parties trying to find them online. Doing a reverse image search shows threads from as far back as 2012 with people looking to buy the product. I'm getting hundreds of website visitors a day from that pin.

It's a plant pot that has a cool design.
EDIT: It's not simply a pot that can be made on a spinning wheel and designed a certain way. It is shaped like an animal so it would have to be molded (I'm guessing).

It could be made using ceramic, glass, or plastic. I just don't know how to get started with the process. Reading threads around here over the years it's not as simple as sending the picture to manufacturers in China, getting a sample, then ordering 50 of them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Generally, I keep my endeavors online & digital, never really venturing into the physical realm.

Long story short, posted on Pinterest a stock image of a product that can't be found anywhere online that people are going crazy about. I'm thinking it was handmade. There are Reddit threads asking where to buy it and people forming search parties trying to find them online. Doing a reverse image search shows threads from as far back as 2012 with people looking to buy the product. I'm getting hundreds of website visitors a day from that pin.

It's a simple plant pot that has a cool design. It could be made using ceramic, glass, or plastic. I just don't know how to get started with the process. Reading threads around here over the years it's not as simple as sending the picture to manufacturers in China, getting a sample, then ordering 50 of them.
Would poured concrete work as a material?
View: https://youtu.be/NC5Rt0KRUWY

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada

It's a simple plant pot that has a cool design. It could be made using ceramic, glass, or plastic. I just don't know how to get started with the process. Reading threads around here over the years it's not as simple as sending the picture to manufacturers in China, getting a sample, then ordering 50 of them.
If you're even remotely thinking about getting a supplier, even if it's not in China, I would suggest you to buy @Walter Hay ebooks (in the marketplace of this forum). They're pure gold.

Edit: Also, if you find a manufacturer and you send them the pictures, they might be able to make a mold and send you a sample (although it'll probably cost you $2-300 for the first sample).

I would also highly recommend finding a manufacturer or supplier that is located elsewhere than China. Nothing wrong with China, but you could land an exclusivity deal, have better communication with them and a culture similar to yours. China is a HUGE culture clash compared to what we're used to in North America and Europe.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Why can't you reverse engineer it and make it yourself? That's assuming the original maker doesn't own the IP right to the design.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

A couple of things which come to mind:

1. Look for someone who runs a pottery class in your city, get in contact with them. Get some advice from them, more contacts. Or maybe they can make it for you.
2. Look for someone who can make the pot from a 3D model. Create a 3D model, or pay someone to create it.
3. Find the next best thing. Look for a pot on the market which closely resembles the one in question.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Would poured concrete work as a material?
View: https://youtu.be/NC5Rt0KRUWY
Any material I'm guessing as long as it can be glazed.

If you're even remotely thinking about getting a supplier, even if it's not in China, I would suggest you to buy @Walter Hay ebooks (in the marketplace of this forum). They're pure gold.

To be 100% honest, I've never even wanted to get into this space. I'll have to check them out anyway. If it was easy (lol) I would just show someone who's capable the proof of people wanting to buy it and also my traffic results.

^ Pinterest traffic explosion from that one pin

Why can't you reverse engineer it and make it yourself? That's assuming the original maker doesn't own the IP right to the design.
I totally can, I'm just not a CAD man.
A couple of things which come to mind:

1. Look for someone who runs a pottery class in your city, get in contact with them. Get some advice from them, more contacts. Or maybe they can make it for you.
2. Look for someone who can make the pot from a 3D model. Create a 3D model, or pay someone to create it.
3. Find the next best thing. Look for a pot on the market which closely resembles the one in question.
In regards to #3, that's what I'm doing now as a result of the unexpected surge in traffic. Just a simple affiliate link that getting great CTR & conversions.

Honestly, if when I find a way to make this happen I'll replace that link with an email opt-in for an update when it launches.

Last edited:

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Why would you need CAD?
Oh sorry, when you said reverse engineer and make it yourself I figured you meant to create the 3D mockup. It's not a simple round pot that could be made on a spinning wheel, it's shaped like an animal so it has legs, a face, etc.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Oh sorry, when you said reverse engineer and make it yourself I figured you meant to create the 3D mockup. It's not a simple round pot that could be made on a spinning wheel, it's shaped like an animal so it has legs, a face, etc.

Nah, I'd grab a lump of clay and start smooshing it around to figure out the fastest way to make it.

ETA: If it is an animal shape then very likely it is an original creation of another person and it would probably be better not to copy it.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
3d print the prototype (maybe @jpanarra can help with resources here) and make a few, or many, smooth-on silicone mold for poured concrete; then, mix, pour, stain (I assume they're not intricately painted) and clearcoat.

Should be a fairly quick process once you have the molds ready for use, because most of the actual work (curing and stain/ clearcoat drying) is happening while you're off doing other stuff.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Are there similar glazed items--like in a completely different niche, maybe even B2B? If you can identify some, then you can find out how & who makes those.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Traffic means nothing.
Read up this forum on how to make validation page (credit card in hand)
collect emails on presale, hire sculptor.
Sell.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Define the question better.

Not sure how to get started.... with what exactly?

Manufacturing? Importing? E-Commerce?

If you just want to figure out how to make the thing, call up someone locally who think might be able to make the thing and ask them. If they can't do it they'll say "I can't do it, but an XXXX kind of person could probably do it" Then you call up an XXXX person and ask them the same thing. Repeat until you find the right person that can do it.

We do this monthly to solve various problems in our business. Paint issues... google and phone calls. Welding issues... google and phone calls. Whatever the problem of the week is, we just go figure it out.

Last month I got an MBA in spring manufacturing by going to a spring factory and saying "here's our unit, help me fix our problem". This month it's magnets. So I brought an engineer to our warehouse and he said "do x, y, z with this xxx kind of magnet". If I can't figure out an electrical problem, I give a unit to an electrical engineer and they pick it apart and figure out what the issue is.

Find people who know things that you don't know anything about and talk to them.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Just realized that you @Charnell were 2 years earlier on this forum then me. So i guess you know the "validate before build" mantra. Lol
But i digress.

There is a topic on this forum by a sculptor that wants to go fastlane (here). OP - @Abrodos might have some practical insights about the thing you are after.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
Thank you @Kid for mentioning me!

I could help with that! I actually make these kinds of commissions more often than my actual sculptures. Some things you might want to take into consideration:

Does the shape have small, complicated parts that protrude from it? Like, let's say, a deer with antlers. Or is it mostly a compact shape like a sphere or cylinder?
That will affect how the mold has to be made and which materials it has to be cast in.

Also it's important to trace the origin of the pinterest image to an author. Is it just a design? Is it a physical product that has been sold?
If you can trace the actual photo maybe you could actually buy remaining stock from the original seller and resell it. Keep in mind that many of those designs are sold by artists that are trying to live from their art, and many don't know much about marketing and positioning. You could still get a good margin by ordering a lot of pieces from the original artist.

How much do you want to sell the pots for? Can you charge extra for it being a cool, artsy product? High margins will help you alot in making it profitable, as there can be some unexpected expenses during the process (shipping, some material tests, etc).

Have you considered raising money through crowdfunding?
Making the sculpture, silicone molds and first 40-50 casts can get quite expensive (between 1500-2000$), and this could be a way to avoid the initial investment being such a burden to you.

Could the sculpting part be avoided by molding some existing shape?
There's that mexican flower pot company called amor vegetal that make pots by molding toy animals, pineapples and stuff. The sculpture part is one of the most time consuming (and hence most expensive) parts of the process. If it can be circumvented it helps a lot in the price.
If the shape is geometrical and clean, then modelling it in Blender, sketchup or another program, 3D printing it and then making silicone molds by hand can be the best option.

Anyway, if you want to talk about it, ask me any stuff, PM me or send me an e-mail! my address is david_abrodos@hotmail.com .

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.