The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Stumbled onto a product people want but isn't available, how to move forward?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Charnell

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
Generally, I keep my endeavors online & digital, never really venturing into the physical realm.

Long story short, posted on Pinterest a stock image of a product that can't be found anywhere online that people are going crazy about. I'm thinking it was handmade. There are Reddit threads asking where to buy it and people forming search parties trying to find them online. Doing a reverse image search shows threads from as far back as 2012 with people looking to buy the product. I'm getting hundreds of website visitors a day from that pin.

It's a plant pot that has a cool design.
EDIT: It's not simply a pot that can be made on a spinning wheel and designed a certain way. It is shaped like an animal so it would have to be molded (I'm guessing).

It could be made using ceramic, glass, or plastic. I just don't know how to get started with the process. Reading threads around here over the years it's not as simple as sending the picture to manufacturers in China, getting a sample, then ordering 50 of them.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2015
Generally, I keep my endeavors online & digital, never really venturing into the physical realm.

Long story short, posted on Pinterest a stock image of a product that can't be found anywhere online that people are going crazy about. I'm thinking it was handmade. There are Reddit threads asking where to buy it and people forming search parties trying to find them online. Doing a reverse image search shows threads from as far back as 2012 with people looking to buy the product. I'm getting hundreds of website visitors a day from that pin.

It's a simple plant pot that has a cool design. It could be made using ceramic, glass, or plastic. I just don't know how to get started with the process. Reading threads around here over the years it's not as simple as sending the picture to manufacturers in China, getting a sample, then ordering 50 of them.
Would poured concrete work as a material?
View: https://youtu.be/NC5Rt0KRUWY

Jeff Noel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada

It's a simple plant pot that has a cool design. It could be made using ceramic, glass, or plastic. I just don't know how to get started with the process. Reading threads around here over the years it's not as simple as sending the picture to manufacturers in China, getting a sample, then ordering 50 of them.
If you're even remotely thinking about getting a supplier, even if it's not in China, I would suggest you to buy @Walter Hay ebooks (in the marketplace of this forum). They're pure gold.

Edit: Also, if you find a manufacturer and you send them the pictures, they might be able to make a mold and send you a sample (although it'll probably cost you $2-300 for the first sample).

I would also highly recommend finding a manufacturer or supplier that is located elsewhere than China. Nothing wrong with China, but you could land an exclusivity deal, have better communication with them and a culture similar to yours. China is a HUGE culture clash compared to what we're used to in North America and Europe.

rollerskates

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Why can't you reverse engineer it and make it yourself? That's assuming the original maker doesn't own the IP right to the design.

alexkuzmov

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

A couple of things which come to mind:

1. Look for someone who runs a pottery class in your city, get in contact with them. Get some advice from them, more contacts. Or maybe they can make it for you.
2. Look for someone who can make the pot from a 3D model. Create a 3D model, or pay someone to create it.
3. Find the next best thing. Look for a pot on the market which closely resembles the one in question.

OP
OP
Charnell

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
Would poured concrete work as a material?
View: https://youtu.be/NC5Rt0KRUWY
Any material I'm guessing as long as it can be glazed.

If you're even remotely thinking about getting a supplier, even if it's not in China, I would suggest you to buy @Walter Hay ebooks (in the marketplace of this forum). They're pure gold.
To be 100% honest, I've never even wanted to get into this space. I'll have to check them out anyway. If it was easy (lol) I would just show someone who's capable the proof of people wanting to buy it and also my traffic results.

^ Pinterest traffic explosion from that one pin

Why can't you reverse engineer it and make it yourself? That's assuming the original maker doesn't own the IP right to the design.
I totally can, I'm just not a CAD man.
A couple of things which come to mind:

1. Look for someone who runs a pottery class in your city, get in contact with them. Get some advice from them, more contacts. Or maybe they can make it for you.
2. Look for someone who can make the pot from a 3D model. Create a 3D model, or pay someone to create it.
3. Find the next best thing. Look for a pot on the market which closely resembles the one in question.
In regards to #3, that's what I'm doing now as a result of the unexpected surge in traffic. Just a simple affiliate link that getting great CTR & conversions.

Honestly, if when I find a way to make this happen I'll replace that link with an email opt-in for an update when it launches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charnell

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
There are all screenshot from a FB page after reverse searching the image.
And this one is from my Pinterest account

OP
OP
Charnell

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
Why would you need CAD?
Oh sorry, when you said reverse engineer and make it yourself I figured you meant to create the 3D mockup. It's not a simple round pot that could be made on a spinning wheel, it's shaped like an animal so it has legs, a face, etc.

rollerskates

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Oh sorry, when you said reverse engineer and make it yourself I figured you meant to create the 3D mockup. It's not a simple round pot that could be made on a spinning wheel, it's shaped like an animal so it has legs, a face, etc.
Nah, I'd grab a lump of clay and start smooshing it around to figure out the fastest way to make it.

ETA: If it is an animal shape then very likely it is an original creation of another person and it would probably be better not to copy it.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2015
3d print the prototype (maybe @jpanarra can help with resources here) and make a few, or many, smooth-on silicone mold for poured concrete; then, mix, pour, stain (I assume they're not intricately painted) and clearcoat.

Should be a fairly quick process once you have the molds ready for use, because most of the actual work (curing and stain/ clearcoat drying) is happening while you're off doing other stuff.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Are there similar glazed items--like in a completely different niche, maybe even B2B? If you can identify some, then you can find out how & who makes those.

Kid

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
Traffic means nothing.
Read up this forum on how to make validation page (credit card in hand)
collect emails on presale, hire sculptor.
Sell.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
Define the question better.

Not sure how to get started.... with what exactly?

Manufacturing? Importing? E-Commerce?

If you just want to figure out how to make the thing, call up someone locally who think might be able to make the thing and ask them. If they can't do it they'll say "I can't do it, but an XXXX kind of person could probably do it" Then you call up an XXXX person and ask them the same thing. Repeat until you find the right person that can do it.

We do this monthly to solve various problems in our business. Paint issues... google and phone calls. Welding issues... google and phone calls. Whatever the problem of the week is, we just go figure it out.

Last month I got an MBA in spring manufacturing by going to a spring factory and saying "here's our unit, help me fix our problem". This month it's magnets. So I brought an engineer to our warehouse and he said "do x, y, z with this xxx kind of magnet". If I can't figure out an electrical problem, I give a unit to an electrical engineer and they pick it apart and figure out what the issue is.

Find people who know things that you don't know anything about and talk to them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Thanks for sharing. I want a course to optimize for other than Google engines.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock