The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stranded in Dallas.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Right now, in this moment, I could be in Miami sipping the juice from a coconut and sunbathing in the sweaty beer-soaked sands of Fort Lauderdale.

Right now, I could be sipping a 12-oz. soy cappuccino in a street-side café in Chicago, perhaps learning a little French or Polish to pass the time.

In this moment, I could be aboard a plane headed to Berlin, watching German YouTube videos as I prepare to spend a weekend immersed in wonderful people, great beer, and fantastic food.

Rather right now, I'm sitting in the Starbucks we have on campus, typing this on the same laptop I rent out every day in four-hour intervals because I cannot afford my own. I have a philosophy class in an hour, and I'm using one of my few dollars for a cup of hot water and a cup of ice, so I can have a cold cup of tea to take with me (I brought my own tea bags.)

Inevitably, my choices have brought me here, and my choices will be the cause of my escape. Let's look at where I'm at right now.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Authorship: Recently, I've written a book entitled "Maestro: Organize Yourself Like A Champion" which I released on the Kindle Store. This book, written mainly for my girlfriend, details how I helped myself to escape depression, teach myself two languages in three years, and break two addictions. After a month has passed, I have sold ten copies. I'm not sure whether or not I want to plug this book everywhere and throw 100% of my time and energy behind it.

Now, I have begun working on a second title, "The Power Individual: The Ultimate Guide to a Winning Mindset." If anything, I write these for myself so as to have a solid record of my thought process. Something to serve as the string I can pull on as I wade down the River Styx. I believe that my books are capable of helping millions find themselves and their goals, though I'm unsure if I want to put all of my focus on them.

Language: There is great room in the language learning market for innovation. This is a market that is ripe for explosion over the next few years, and I'm lucky enough to have a huge interest in it. I have noticed that most language learning courses target solely the big languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic, Portuguese, German, Dutch.) However, if someone wants to learn anything else like Afrikaans, Yoruba, Amharic, Vietnamese, they have to suffer for lower quality resources.

I believe that I have the ability to produce the single best language course on the market. My only issue comes to selecting which languages to prioritize. Obviously, these courses will take much time and effort to make!

I want to create a Minimum Viable Product for these courses, and see which ones gain the most attention. Right now, I'm thinking that I will record 1 hour of audio for Afrikaans, give the first hour away free on a landing page, and offer people the ability to pre-order the full course. However, I have no idea how to drive traction to this landing page! Is this really the most cost-effective way to test my idea?

Overall, it seems my biggest challenge now becomes driving people to my website. Whether I want to sell more books, more courses, or set up a travel site, I am going to need traction in order to survive. How do you all boost traction to your website?

Are there any books you would recommend on ads/SEO? (@Andy Black, Inbox me the information on your course!)

Adurite

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Instead of Starbucks, try the Library. Particularly the business section. No money necessary.

Also, instead of starting a business right now, it sounds like you need to focus on covering your basic needs. Get a job and study to be an entrepreneur. When you are ready, you will have both cash and insight.

Good luck.

Right now, in this moment, I could be in Miami sipping the juice from a coconut and sunbathing in the sweaty beer-soaked sands of Fort Lauderdale.

Right now, I could be sipping a 12-oz. soy cappuccino in a street-side café in Chicago, perhaps learning a little French or Polish to pass the time.

In this moment, I could be aboard a plane headed to Berlin, watching German YouTube videos as I prepare to spend a weekend immersed in wonderful people, great beer, and fantastic food.

Rather right now, I'm sitting in the Starbucks we have on campus, typing this on the same laptop I rent out every day in four-hour intervals because I cannot afford my own. I have a philosophy class in an hour, and I'm using one of my few dollars for a cup of hot water and a cup of ice, so I can have a cold cup of tea to take with me (I brought my own tea bags.)

Inevitably, my choices have brought me here, and my choices will be the cause of my escape. Let's look at where I'm at right now.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Authorship: Recently, I've written a book entitled "Maestro: Organize Yourself Like A Champion" which I released on the Kindle Store. This book, written mainly for my girlfriend, details how I helped myself to escape depression, teach myself two languages in three years, and break two addictions. After a month has passed, I have sold ten copies. I'm not sure whether or not I want to plug this book everywhere and throw 100% of my time and energy behind it.

Now, I have begun working on a second title, "The Power Individual: The Ultimate Guide to a Winning Mindset." If anything, I write these for myself so as to have a solid record of my thought process. Something to serve as the string I can pull on as I wade down the River Styx. I believe that my books are capable of helping millions find themselves and their goals, though I'm unsure if I want to put all of my focus on them.

Language: There is great room in the language learning market for innovation. This is a market that is ripe for explosion over the next few years, and I'm lucky enough to have a huge interest in it. I have noticed that most language learning courses target solely the big languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic, Portuguese, German, Dutch.) However, if someone wants to learn anything else like Afrikaans, Yoruba, Amharic, Vietnamese, they have to suffer for lower quality resources.

I believe that I have the ability to produce the single best language course on the market. My only issue comes to selecting which languages to prioritize. Obviously, these courses will take much time and effort to make!

I want to create a Minimum Viable Product for these courses, and see which ones gain the most attention. Right now, I'm thinking that I will record 1 hour of audio for Afrikaans, give the first hour away free on a landing page, and offer people the ability to pre-order the full course. However, I have no idea how to drive traction to this landing page! Is this really the most cost-effective way to test my idea?

Overall, it seems my biggest challenge now becomes driving people to my website. Whether I want to sell more books, more courses, or set up a travel site, I am going to need traction in order to survive. How do you all boost traction to your website?

Are there any books you would recommend on ads/SEO? (@Andy Black, Inbox me the information on your course!)

Adurite

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Adurite
You can certainly run ads and gauge interest.

You could also find out where people interested in learning Afrikaans hang out and just starts helping them. Engage in hand-to-hand combat. Do things that don't scale. Build relationships one at a time?

I do a mixture of both.

This recorded call might interest you:

... and the call I had with @TedM:

What queries did you have about my course? There's quite a lot of info in the thread now, and I've just started a private FB group for students of the course to help them analyse campaigns after they have them running.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
You can certainly run ads and gauge interest.

You could also find out where people interested in learning Afrikaans hang out and just starts helping them. Engage in hand-to-hand combat. Do things that don't scale. Build relationships one at a time?

I do a mixture of both.

This recorded call might interest you:

... and the call I had with @TedM:

What queries did you have about my course? There's quite a lot of info in the thread now, and I've just started a private FB group for students of the course to help them analyse campaigns after they have them running.
Yeah, it's the 'running ads' part that I'm having trouble with. Need to educate myself a lot more in this area.

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely be checking them out once I get back from the gym!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.