The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Still STUCK after reading every "Stuck" thread??? Me too...

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
Introduction
  • Many of us are in the same place. We’re hungry and desperate for some money. We’ve read the book (The Millionaire Fastlane ), and now we’re standing around wondering where our money is. So, we continue reading books. Now, we’ve read ALL the books, and still there’s no money. We’re Thinking and Growing Rich in our heads, yet again, there’s no money. So, we begin to try out some small ventures. We try hustling on craigslist and ebay, trading penny stocks, opening an e-commerce store, or importing on Alibaba. Yet, each venture fails miserably each and every time.
  • We look at people like Mark Zuckerberg and finally decide, "Well, I guess programming is the only way to REALLY get rich nowadays." So, we decide to learn how to code. 15 minutes later we realize coding sucks. It sucks hard. So we become depressed, thinking that we will never be rich. We’ve conditioned ourselves to believe that an internet company is the only way to become wealthy. IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT.

• Let’s take a step back. We know all the basics. We’ve read all the books. We know we have to solve others needs and problems. We know we have to create VALUE. But how?
  • So, a little about me. I’m 19 years old and attending university on Long Island in the United States. However, I am off this semester for various unrelated reasons. I know my way around a computer, but I don’t know how to code. I’m young, still a bit immature, and I have the passion and I have the drive (Don't we all). The biggest asset I have is my time and I know it. It’s just that I don’t know what to do with all of my time. I want and NEED to take ACTION. I JUST DON"T KNOW WHAT THE HELL TO DO.
  • What I do know is that I will never become wealthy by making apps, software or websites. I do not know how to code and do not plan on learning how to code in the near future (except for maybe the basics). I absolutely NEED to find my own fastlane route. I believe (after watching Shark Tank and reading progress threads on this forum) that my best route is to invent or create a better mousetrap and then learn how to both distribute and market it effectively. Basically, make a QVC type product or simply make a better product and then SELL, SELL, SELL.

• So first things first. I need to build a better mousetrap. I don’t have to create the shiny newest thing. I can just take something old and stale, and make it better. BUT HOW?
    • “It’s simple. Answers come from questions, and the quality of any answer is directly determined by the quality of the question. Ask the wrong question, get the wrong answer. Ask the right question, get the right answer. Ask the most powerful question possible, and the answer can be life altering.” - The One Thing
    • I need to start asking the right questions to find OTHERS needs and pain points
      • What are some pain points others have?
      • How can I add value to this product
      • How can I improve this product?
    • **********This is a good start, and with some extra thinking, we can go even further.**********
      • What is the ONE FEATURE/BENEFIT I can add to this product to TRIPLE its VALUE?
      • What TWO products can I COMBINE so that by doing so, I can TRIPLES its VALUE
      • How can I change the COLOR/WEIGHT/SIZE/FUNCTION/STYLE of the PACKAGING of this item to TRIPLE its VALUE?
    • ***********Now those are some questions that are geared at creating real VALUE************

Conclusion
  • My goals
    • Start actually doing
      • Check Riteaid, Walmart and Amazon with a notebook and pen. Go through different aisles and categories and ask the right questions about these products.
    • Find a product
    • Find a way to make it better
    • Make a prototype
    • Use kickstarted to fund it
    • See where that takes me
  • So,
    • What are other questions I should ask myself when I go searching through products tomorrow besides the 3 good ones I asked above?
    • What are some other tips/pointers/things I should be aware of in this type of industry?
    • What are some other steps i should be taking right now as an entrepreneur
      • certain books
      • certain youtube videos
      • certain forum posts
      • getting a part time job?
      • watching Shark Tank
      • other fastlane paths i should consider
        • clothing
      • anything else
    • What other actions can I start taking today?
    • What action can I take right now, immediately, within the next minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes to become a better entrepreneur?
  • My fastlane path in a nutshell.
    • Take any product
    • Make it the best of its kind/Make it better/Improve it
    • Make it at the right price point
    • Actually make it
    • SELL SELL SELL
I hope this thread provides VALUE to others, while at the same time provides some VALUE to myself. I am open to any and all suggestions. Lastly, thanks for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Make a mousetrap that connects to an app letting you know when it's gone off and where. No more checking traps...and no more rotting mouse carcasses! Maybe the app also lets you know when its time to change the bait. Sell the peace of mind you can give your customers. No needless checking, no smell, no worries!

There. You've built a better mousetrap! ;)

My advice would be to hold your horses on deciding how to fund and sell your product...and first focus on the product itself! Turns out brainstorming is much easier when there isn't a tornado of other stuff swirling in your head at the same time :)

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
In the next 5 minutes you could come up with one idea. In the following 5 minutes you could tell yourself you will take that one idea and follow through with it.

Looking forward to that $90 mousetrap @gostorm21 :D

voltron

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 26, 2014
Canada
no offense but i seem to notice all these people who are "stuck" always seem to have time to write out these huge blocks of text like in the original post. im sure youd be one step closer to your goals if you took that time and worked on 1 thing that will lead you closer to what it is you want to achieve.

Personally i have a whiteboard and on it are a list of tasks that I can/should be doing. any time i feel lost or lack direction I look at my board and see a ton of stuff i can do. id reccommend stop wasting time and start working.. even if it's one small thing, your time will be better spent working on it than whatever it is you wrote above.

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
no offense but i seem to notice all these people who are "stuck" always seem to have time to write out these huge blocks of text like in the original post. im sure youd be one step closer to your goals if you took that time and worked on 1 thing that will lead you closer to what it is you want to achieve.

Personally i have a whiteboard and on it are a list of tasks that I can/should be doing. any time i feel lost or lack direction I look at my board and see a ton of stuff i can do. id reccommend stop wasting time and start working.. even if it's one small thing, your time will be better spent working on it than whatever it is you wrote above.

You're right. Sitting at home typing this out may have organized my thoughts but it didn't take any real action. I know what I have to do, I just have to start doing it.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
You're right. Sitting at home typing this out may have organized my thoughts but it didn't take any real action. I know what I have to do, I just have to start doing it.

Imperfect action is better than no action at all. Look what my copywriter guy wrote me a few days ago:

My mistake was being a perfectionist. And beating myself up and feeling guilt instead of acceptance and doing what I can to make the best of my situation.

Now I started to build self-discipline. And I learned a lot.

Actually, what I noticed with writing... the hardest thing is to sit down to write.

And I almost gave up, like... multiple times. :)

I believe this happens to all or most of us and it's normal. But what I think makes the big difference is that some of us accept the shitty feeling and start doing it anyways. Then it just starts to flow.

Hence my signature has a significant meaning and has helped me a lot in the last 2 months applying it:

Either you can let your emotions control your actions... or you can let your actions control your emotions!

In other words, start with what you know.

If you know what you have to do, cut out any excuses and start doing it for 10 minutes.
If you don't know what you have to do, then do what feels right at the moment and learn along the way.

Just like anything else this is a process, not an overnight change so don't beat yourself up for not having a magic stick!

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Nice bit of copy in the title and opening paragraph.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Dunno how people get stuck. I have a whole binder of really actionable ideas. One thing at a time. All you need to do is have a hobby, like model airplanes, snowboarding, fixing cars, etc., or a job. Next time any physical object you need to do your hobby or job makes you say "damn it, this crap again?!" Bam. There's your product. Make it happen.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I applaud you for figuring out that you can't do stuff that you know nothing about. Like apps, when you can't even program code. I've realized this myself too. And now the fastlanes that are left for me are "inventions" or "self publishing".

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I applaud you for figuring out that you can't do stuff that you know nothing about. Like apps, when you can't even program code. I've realized this myself too. And now the fastlanes that are left for me is "inventions" or "self publishing".

These are incredibly limiting statements.

I think if you want to make it as an entrepreneur you need to forget about your fears and forget about the fact that you don't know how to do something.

Being a leader means figuring it out, no matter what the problem is.

I don't applaud those who say they can't do something.

I applaud those who find a way to do it.

***Edit***

Seriously... How are you going to invent something when you can't because you don't know how?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good that you read "The One Thing". Excellent book.

"Start With Why" is another good, and short read. (I really enjoyed the audio version.)

My 2c, fwiw, just try and help someone, this week. See where that takes you.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
My 2c, fwiw, just try and help someone, this week. See where that takes you.

This brought me to over 220 registered users on a website I built less than 2 months ago, with next to no coding experience.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Dunno how people get stuck.

As someone who gets stuck on everything... it's brutally easy for some people to get stuck, and not getting stuck seems nearly impossible sometimes.
It goes beyond surface level stuff like you mention and deeper into belief systems or something.
After two years of making 6-figures from scratch, I still struggle with getting stuck to this day.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
These are incredibly limiting statements.

I think if you want to make it as an entrepreneur you need to forget about your fears and forget about the fact that you don't know how to do something.

Being a leader means figuring it out, no matter what the problem is.

I don't applaud those who say they can't do something.

I applaud those who find a way to do it.

***Edit***

Seriously... How are you going to invent something when you can't because you don't know how?
Yeah. Okay. I guess I know what you mean. But if it's a complicated concept I want to create that needs a lot of coding. Like a Twitter or a Facebook. I rather move on to something simple. Because, I can't validate good code from bad code. I am also not sure if the once going to do my coding will get my big picture idea.

If you don't know a lot of good coders personally or know where to find them. I am pretty sure you are setting your self up for failure. Plus, you will need to hire them. And the best coders are probably not that cheap.

I rather just write a few ebooks. Or invent something in my head and then get a prototype and so on. Then dive in to a field where there is abovious knowledge gap in my way. Like not knowing coding and building the next Facebook.

But sure, diving in with your head first, like you are superman can be a good personality trait at times too. But I am not like that.

By the way. I am not trying to make it as an entreprenuer so much. As that was what you said. I am more of keeping it a one man show and making as much money as possible from that.

Which I think you can still make a lot in self publishing or by an invention.

Last edited:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
After two years of making 6-figures from scratch, I still struggle with getting stuck to this day.

Stuck on the idea or initial action phase though?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I am always getting stuck. I keep having to ask myself what limiting beliefs or actions I have, and find that I am often IN MY OWN WAY.

So far, the best method I have found to get unstuck is to stop focusing on me and my goals, and literally just go and help someone.

I am willing to bet that a week of walking supermarket aisles with pen and paper looking at how to build better mouse traps will NOT be as productive as a week going out of your way to help everyone you come into contact with, and jotting down all the good deeds you do.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
But if it's a complicated concept I want to create that needs a lot of coding. Like a Twitter or a Facebook. I rather move on to something simple

Oh you want something simple thats also fastlane?

If you don't know a lot of good coders personally or know where to find them. I am pretty sure you are setting your self up for failure.

You are pretty sure? You are thinking difficult = fail. It's all over your mindset.

I rather just write a few ebooks

You think a few ebooks is going to get you an income, maybe a few ebooks a month of very high quality.

I am not trying to make it as an entreprenuer so much

Already starting with excuses?

I'm cringing reading this stuff, I'm sure others are also. You have to realise there's no lottery tickets in business, its hard work and lots of it.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Oh you want something simple thats also fastlane?

You are pretty sure? You are thinking difficult = fail. It's all over your mindset.

You think a few ebooks is going to get you an income, maybe a few ebooks a month of very high quality.

Already starting with excuses?

I'm cringing reading this stuff, I'm sure others are also. You have to realise there's no lottery tickets in business, its hard work and lots of it.
What's your fu*king point tafy? YGo build the next big thing then. Because "nothing is impossible". You can do it! Go! Go! Go!

I am just trying to be reasonable. For F*cks sakes. While some of you instead think you can jump off a bridge and then turn in to a butterfly and then fly away.

Like some guy said to me. On this forum. He owned a some king of racing car or whatever. But he didn't think he could compete in Nascar just because he had the car.

Sometimes it's just better to think that you can't do everything. But I guess, some of you guys get upset by hearing that. Just go puff some more self help mumbo jumbo.

Because, you can do it!

Last edited:

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I am just trying to be reasonable. For F*cks sakes. While some of you instead think you can jump off a bridge and then turn in to a butterfly and then fly away.

I believe that's the point. Entrepreneurs don't do what they do so they can be reasonable. They want to be unreasonable. They would rather labor for decades trying to do big things than live an average life. This forum is full of people that want to "jump off a bridge and then turn in to a butterfly and then fly away."

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I believe that's the point. Entrepreneurs don't do what they do so they can be reasonable. They want to be unreasonable. They would rather labor for decades trying to do big things than live an average life. This forum is full of people that want to "jump off a bridge and then turn in to a butterfly and then fly away."
What do you know what this forum is all about? We have all kinds of sections here.

Like I said. I am not trying to be a entreprenuer. Excuse me. If that offends some of you???? I am trying to make it in self publishing or inventions.

By the way. Just because you are an entreprenuer doesn't mean that you are a millionaire or even a billionaire. You make it sound like every elite entreprenuer and billionaire visit this forum. That's not the case.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
What do you know what this forum is all about? We have all kinds of sections here.

Like I said. I am not trying to be a entreprenuer. Excuse me. If that offends some of you???? I am trying to make it in self publishing or inventions.

By the way. Just because you are an entreprenuer doesn't mean that you are a millionaire or even a billionaire. You make it sound like every elite entreprenuer and billionaire visit this forum. That's not the case.

I have a good idea what the forum is about after being on it for three and a half years.

I'm not offended. I know lots of people that don't want to be an entrepreneur. I respect everyone's decision as long as it doesn't harm other people.
I hope you do well with self-publishing or inventing. I seriously do. But what tafy is saying is that it won't happen until you change your mindset.

Where in my post does it give you the idea that I think all entrepreneurs are millionaires, or that every elite entrepreneur or billionaire visits the forum?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
1. Tafy IS building the next big thing. (On the INSIDERS forum, where the unreasonable people are.)

2. You might want to Google, "Define entrepreneur".

3. If you want reasonable, get a degree, and get a job. If you want Fastlane, be open to criticism and acknowledge that it takes calculated risk. You are on the Fastlane forum, yet you suggest that calculated risk is unreasonable. Perhaps you landed here by accident and were actually looking for the Welfare, Blue Collar, or Hand Me Money For Free forums?

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
But what tafy is saying is that it won't happen until you change your mindset.
Just because you take risks. Doesn't mean that you are going to automatically become more successful or wealthier than somebody who takes less risks.

Where in my post does it give you the idea that I think all entrepreneurs are millionaires, or that every elite entrepreneur or billionaire visits the forum?
Well. I just got that feeling. You were talking about "big things". And then said this forum is "full of...". But I guess that doesn't mean the first thing. Anyway. I am not sure everyone here is thinking so big and that just because you are an "entrepreneur" in your mind that you are a big thinker. A milionaire or a billionaire.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
2. You might want to Google, "Define entrepreneur".

3. If you want reasonable, get a degree, and get a job. If you want Fastlane, be open to criticism and acknowledge that it takes calculated risk. You are on the Fastlane forum, yet you suggest that calculated risk is unreasonable. Perhaps you landed here by accident and were actually looking for the Welfare, Blue Collar, or Hand Me Money For Free forums?
Yeah. I know all the buzz words about entreprenuership. "Taking risks" is one of them. "Shying the norm" is another. "Calculated risk" is yet another.

It doesn't f*cking matter if you know all the buzz words/concepts or not on how a entreprenuer should behave or think. There are still authors who beat entreprenuers in generating money and vice versa.

Last edited:

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
I am always getting stuck. I keep having to ask myself what limiting beliefs or actions I have, and find that I am often IN MY OWN WAY.

So far, the best method I have found to get unstuck is to stop focusing on me and my goals, and literally just go and help someone.

Andy's got the right idea. He knows.

And if you cannot find someone to help; increase your skills.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Well. This is kind of tiresome. Fighting against everyone else on this.

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
...Next time any physical object you need to do your hobby or job makes you say "damn it, this crap again?!" Bam. There's your product. Make it happen.
Rep +
Good way of putting it. Typically my hobbies/jobs are more stifled by income than equipment in need of a redesign, or I have the latter because of the former... It does sound like what Lori Greiner says though, about creating products she would find useful.

Maybe this is a limiting mindset of mine, but from my (basic) research, articles like this http://time.com/2837247/most-profitableproducts/, among many others, seems to indicate that the "successful" products are commodities that have established themselves as brands.
Duh, right? Well hold on a second...
(Here's the article summary for the TL;DR- (7 most profitable products in America, "least" to most) Harley, Enfamil, Coke, Jack Daniels, Monster, Marlboro, iPhone).

My point of confusion is that it seems the most profitable products, the one's with the highest market cap ceilings (if at all) aren't the nice inventions (one-offs or not) like things you see on Sharktank. On the show, people often want to take that kind of thing to $1m, 5m, 10m, or even 30m. But rarely is the mid 9 figure range considered a possibility for their product.
I guess that all boils down to me wondering if doing a product with criteria/objectives similar to what you're saying has potential to be more than a $15m deal. And by more I mean like a $1/2b+ company. Just related to what @TennisOrDie said about the belief that an internet company is the only way to become wealthy.

Maybe it's a bubble we're in where private companies/services are getting such high valuations. Just haven't seen similar situations for "invented" products, unless we're looking at the iPhone and the lifetime Jobs spent there, designing, creating, innovating, envisioning, etc.
Maybe I'm looking at this in the wrong light..? Maybe I need the mindset of "learn how to make a million, rinse, repeat."? As opposed to looking for something that has huge potential...?

Just because you take risks. Doesn't mean that you are going to automatically become more successful or wealthier than somebody who takes less risks.

I disagree. As the saying goes, "If you keep swinging for the fences.... eventually you're going to hit a home run." Taking risks doesn't automatically make you successful. "Automatic" means there is no process involved. I don't see how you are going to be successful without taking "dangerous" and certainly "calculated" risks.
That's the mountain of entreprenurship @Vigilante referred to in his podcast that you have to climb. Like Cuban says, "In business, to be a success, you only have to be right once.
Otherwise,
If you want reasonable, get a degree, and get a job.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.