The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting Your Own Business? - The #1 Mistake

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
OK, I'll bite.

You've done a great job speaking to the camera with barely any filler words. Well done.

Your YouTube channel is very slick too. Probably too slick for your first posts in this forum though? This is more of a community than a content marketing platform. On platforms we post and try and build an audience. In forums and communities we engage with others and join in the conversations.

People want to engage with other people on here. You'll do better once people get to know you first (as can be seen from the feedback on your other thread here: Career Stagnation - When Should You Make A Move?)

Personally, I do much better in communities than on platforms. I even created a thread on my learnings of how to best help others in communities:

The crux of your video is to know your audience and their needs first before pushing a product on them. I think you've maybe misjudged a little why people are on this forum, and the type and format of content that appeals to them? Video doesn't work great, with most forum members preferring to read. And what you've said has been said and debated many times already (see a few links below).

I 100% agree that most people spend too much time building stuff and not enough time working out whether they can add value. It's a massive problem:

There's a few "idea extraction" threads in here already:

I personally don't like the notion of "idea extraction". I prefer try and help people one at a time, and not ask them what they'd do if they have a magic wand. Here's a thread I created to counter "idea extraction":

TL;DR
  • Welcome to the forum.
  • It's a community and you can likely get a lot of value from it if you slow down and join in.
  • We'd love you to stay and tell us how you're business is going and what you've done to create and grow your YouTube channel.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
You're gonna learn that people here for the most part are doers. You need some type of credibility before teaching the class. You need to earn it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What business did you start?

You're not even talking to the real guy...

It's a VA from India.

Account is banned. Content is removed.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

It's a VA from India.

Dammit. I want my 20 minutes back...

Saying that, the penny dropped for me when I realised the difference between a platform and a community.

I love joining in communities and responding to people’s queries, rather than pushing content out there, adding to the noise, and hoping some of it sticks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania

It's a VA from India.

What? Why would he do that? Did the user get payed to send people to this guys' channel or something?

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
What? Why would he do that? Did the user get payed to send people to this guys' channel or something?

He outsourced his marketing efforts to his Indian VA (but didn't use a VPN, lol fail). Probably gave him a list of forums to join and post the video. I bet the guy in the video read the 4 Hour Work Week.

Non native English speakers make good VA's for most background things. If you want to have a VA interact with native speakers, then you have to hire a native speaker.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ve just remembered a line I heard somewhere that I liked:

“You can’t outsource passion and insight.”

Engaging your market in hand-to-hand combat gives you, the business owner, insights that an employee or VA isn’t going to get.

And I feel there’s something wrong if your employees or VA are more passionate about your mission than you are.

When you’re still figuring out who your market is, what your product is, and how to consistently sell it, I think it’s *probably* a mistake to put layers between you and the people you’re helping.

It felt that way for me last year when I used other people to make sales, and even when I used other people to build AdWords campaigns.

I personally have had many good things happen by getting personal with people and not trying to automate or outsource “too early”.

Curious what you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.