The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting Web Design/Development Issues

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Richard Gao

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 24, 2018
Canada
I've started web design and I am trying to begin on Upwork before moving on to projects outside Upwork. Following @SinisterLex 's and @Fox 's advice on getting approved. Unfortunately I have not been able to get approved after many tries. Can you guys take a look at my bios and other settings in the files attached below? I want to get a third person perspective on what is wrong so I can fix it and get approved.

I have 2 versions, one focused on one skill following @SinisterLex 's method, and another based on some advice given online from other sources. Although the second one is a little exaggerating and not 100% truthful, I don't intend on keeping it after I get approved.

I also have 3 example websites for fictional companies in my Upwork portfolio: Car company, manufacturing company, personal

I am making a guess that it is either my age (16) or lack of university or college education that is getting me rejected. But that just might be my poor excuse for having a shitty bio and settings.

I need a perspective from someone else other than myself on this subject. Any advice on changing my profile?

Thanks guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Version 1.docx
    13.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Version 2.docx
    13.3 KB · Views: 4

momba224

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 11, 2018
You didn't put your high school name (tells them that you arent the best with fine details)along with not listing any certification (or completed work) in your education (im 18 and never had a job so take this with a grain of salt) since your a minor it sounds like that could discourage companies from hiring you due to both child labor laws and liablility concerns. Im also am pretty sure you didn't volunteer at the
Peterborough Art School for 1000 YEARS!!!
July 1017 to July 2017

momba224

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 11, 2018
Also if you want 38 an hour i recomend you take a few tips from this guy on youtube

I Will Teach You To Be Rich

Richard Gao

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 24, 2018
Canada
Also if you want 38 an hour i recomend you take a few tips from this guy on youtube

I Will Teach You To Be Rich

It didn't give me a rate tip for some reason, but I just assumed the rate tip would just be $38.00, so I just went for it.

am pretty sure you didn't volunteer at the
Peterborough Art School for 1000 YEARS!!!
July 1017 to July 2017

Haha, mistake on my part for mistyping the number of hours in Word, but on Upwork there is a drop down menu so I am sure I didn't list 1017 to 2017 lol.

I did put in my high school name in my Upwork account, just ommitted it in Word when I attached the files

Last edited:

Richard Gao

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 24, 2018
Canada
Do the terms say you have to be 18 to join, so they know a contract can be legally binding?

Yeah, I just checked, it does say 18 to join. My bad, should have checked the user agreement, no wonder I got rejected so many times, I guess the algorithms can tell some how.

On another note, do you have any advice on how to get into web design if you're below 18? I've tried cold emailing some local businesses to do some free web design with no results. I don't think if they do agree that I'll be able to get paid once I do charging anyways with contracts and stuff like that.

EDIT: It said I was rejected but I am able to submit proposals somehow. I did a re-submission with a new bio and now the little red banner that says I was rejected at the top is gone, but I also didn't get an email that says I was accepted.

So my last question is, I heard they require an ID, but it hasn't asked that yet, will they still reject me soon after they ask for the ID and find out I'm not 18? This is still quite confusing.

Thanks

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
On another note, do you have any advice on how to get into web design if you're below 18?

This could be a great topic for a brand new thread. I'd suggest something like, "Under 18, know web design but can't get a contract because of age. Any advice?" or something like that. Off the top of my head, being a subcontractor seems like a possibility. But there may well be forum members who already know exactly what works! I don't know if it would be better to change the title of this thread or just make a new one, so the specific question is crystal clear.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I've started web design and I am trying to begin on Upwork before moving on to projects outside Upwork. Following @SinisterLex 's and @Fox 's advice on getting approved. Unfortunately I have not been able to get approved after many tries. Can you guys take a look at my bios and other settings in the files attached below? I want to get a third person perspective on what is wrong so I can fix it and get approved.

I have 2 versions, one focused on one skill following @SinisterLex 's method, and another based on some advice given online from other sources. Although the second one is a little exaggerating and not 100% truthful, I don't intend on keeping it after I get approved.

I also have 3 example websites for fictional companies in my Upwork portfolio: Car company, manufacturing company, personal

I am making a guess that it is either my age (16) or lack of university or college education that is getting me rejected. But that just might be my poor excuse for having a shitty bio and settings.

I need a perspective from someone else other than myself on this subject. Any advice on changing my profile?

Thanks guys

Have you tried approaching clients directly and building up your own stream of sales.

I don't recommend UpWork (unless to hire) anymore and think its much better to learn to sell directly.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I do web sales through cold calling and personal networking, I've never done Upwork. I've signed up for it and people want the most elaborate websites for peanuts on there.

I'll rather do local websites for free than do it through upwork because that way you build a personal network in that area and you'll get a return in value by using that website as a referral point. For instance, go to a mom and pop place that EVERYONE knows about and offer them a free website only if they refer people to you.

Then you can use the selling point when you try and approach other businesses you can go oh you know the mom and pop spot on main street, I did their website and they've gotten even more business! Give value for free first before even thinking about money.

Money follows value and not the other way around.

Richard Gao

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 24, 2018
Canada
Yeah, I just checked, it does say 18 to join. My bad, should have checked the user agreement, no wonder I got rejected so many times, I guess the algorithms can tell some how.

On another note, do you have any advice on how to get into web design if you're below 18? I've tried cold emailing some local businesses to do some free web design with no results. I don't think if they do agree that I'll be able to get paid once I do charging anyways with contracts and stuff like that.

EDIT: It said I was rejected but I am able to submit proposals somehow. I did a re-submission and now the little red banner that says I was rejected at the top is gone. Strange...
Have you tried approaching clients directly and building up your own stream of sales. I don't recommend UpWork (unless to hire) anymore and think its much better to learn to sell directly.

Thanks, do you mean going to their business and asking them if they need some free web design? I wanted to do some cold calls but my phone bill will rack up over time, and my parents won't let me use the landline for business calls.

I've given up on Upwork too, I only see my way of doing things as cold emailing local businesses or maybe approaching them in person now.

Richard Gao

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 24, 2018
Canada
I do web sales through cold calling and personal networking, I've never done Upwork. I've signed up for it and people want the most elaborate websites for peanuts on there.

I'll rather do local websites for free than do it through upwork because that way you build a personal network in that area and you'll get a return in value by using that website as a referral point. For instance, go to a mom and pop place that EVERYONE knows about and offer them a free website only if they refer people to you.

Then you can use the selling point when you try and approach other businesses you can go oh you know the mom and pop spot on main street, I did their website and they've gotten even more business! Give value for free first before even thinking about money.

Money follows value and not the other way around.

I have tried offering them to design websites for free, however, I still get no response. Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by personal networking?

Richard Gao

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 24, 2018
Canada
This could be a great topic for a brand new thread. I'd suggest something like, "Under 18, know web design but can't get a contract because of age. Any advice?" or something like that. Off the top of my head, being a subcontractor seems like a possibility. But there may well be forum members who already know exactly what works! I don't know if it would be better to change the title of this thread or just make a new one, so the specific question is crystal clear.

That's actually a great idea, I created a new thread here, if you guys have more advice for me I would prefer it being posted in my new thread, but I'll still respond to advice in this one.

Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.