The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting and executing a web design business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Alright all.

I am starting a the third step in "from Flat Broke To Filthy Rich" ladder.

Before I was cleaning windows and let's say I had moderate success. On days when I was working I think I have recieved about 85€ average - about Ireland's minimum wage

I knew that web design/specialized skill must be the next option, but nothing has pushed me to it.
Until yesterday.

I've read a book called "The Right It" (inventors - heads up - it's The Lean Startup but better), which is a book essentially about testing your idea. It talks about concepts like pretotyping before prototyping, which is about verifying your idea (pretotyping) before verifying that you can build it (prototyping) - very recommended read.

As I've spent some time working on my invention I knew that working any more would be useless until I verify the market.

To verify the concept I concealed a test from 3d printed samples (yes fr) that would cost me about 200€.

So I've realised that I don't have those money (because I'll have my "window cleaning" income cut off - I'll have to move to another country soon)

So, get to grind:

What was done:
1) I've read @Fox's book about web design (thanks @Fox)
2) done the advice from the book - reach out to my friends
And it seems that it has worked! 1 person has said that they needed to make a simple website (not for business purposes, but for "history"), and another has said that "maybe his mom needs one" - his mom is a real estate agent.
Maybe I will have my first clients here.
3) cold emailed cleaning companies.
This:

Re: Your website can generate more sales!
Good afternoon!
I am writing because you can generate more sales from your website!

You see, when a customer visits your website, they instantly start thinking whether they want to purchase cleaning supplies from you, or should they move on to another store. Thus, if more customers who join your website want to buy, you will have significantly more revenue.

I am saying this because I help people by bringing in more sales - I design websites which when people visit they buy.

Do you think you need a website that when people join they buy?
If so, call me up at +353 12 3456 789, and we'll discuss it.

Thank you!
Maksym Riabov
So far, no responses yet.

Hope to get first clients, maybe get paid, maybe for free, and get referrals.

I also don't know everything in web design, but up until I'll work from it when I'll find a client - we are in the business of solving problems, not web design.

Plans:
Find clients
Learn and do copywriting
Try to help people get more clients if they agree for Google ads.

Let's go!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Right, short update while waiting for a bus:
  1. I've sat down and written out the following criteria for companies to work with:
    1. The company is not too large (<100 employees, doesn't look too big)
    2. It is likely that buyers of this company 30%-100% of the time learn about the company online (for example, you wouldn't Google for cafe)
  2. Cold emailed companies. Didn't have money on mobile number, so couldn't call directly. Will call starting tomorrow (18:08, too late for calls)
  3. Set up an 1/5/10. It's amazing how it can direct you.
No responses so far. Shit.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
hey, seems a good strategy is popping up:

Find people on yelp who don't have a website.
Offer them making online presense.

Would be good. Checked it out and it seems there are more people like that.
Will start tommorrow.

damnit, "From Flat Broke To Filthy Rich" by @MJ DeMarco was a good sign indeed... Thanks.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Okay, have set up a good enough Facebook page, did multiple posts.

Hey people, I've been learning web design, and currently looking for electricians/solar who wanted more customers, and didn't do any online marketing yet.

Anyone knows such guys? Would be awesome to see what I can do to find them more customers.

Thanks!
Stopped facebook engagement for the day because the account is fresh and fb has banned me in the past.

Reader, execute hard, you are wasting a lot of time.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Long story short:

1. picked an industry of Electricians.
Now I am not sure if this is a good idea. To pick an industry and become the industry expert is good. But electricians...
Yesterday been doing some outreach, something along the lines of:
Hey, Emmet, seen that you've advertised for job in electrician groups.

I'm not an electrician, but as you are hiring I assume that you are an employer.

I'm writing because I would like to work with you.

I am in the process of starting a web design agency, and we are helping electricians increase the amount of customers they get through Google search and Maps.

For you it may be doing Google Maps Business so that when people look for “electricians near me”, they see your service in the top.

Do you know anyone who needs such service? Perhaps I can increase them revenues by getting them a bit more clients…
Doing only facebook.

The thing about electricians is that... low-ticket. They are also just "workers". Like, they don't much care about marketing, it seems (although I've been doing outreach for only 2 days - and I've messaged only... 15 people? Okay, I did get faster.

found this man. https://www.youtube.com/@deanxwhite
Damn, he's gonna be the next Iman Gahdzi soon.
But his content helped me out go on Facebook and do outreach in general.

2. Outreached and scheduled my first call on Monday 6:30pm! Man, you need to hustle.
hustle hustle hustle hustle

The first client I've signed up was for free, a guy has just started the business on 24th of July, and I've mentioned that in the outreach, but still. I hope that he will show up. Maybe he will even pay.
The most important thing is that I can drive results to him, because then I will be able to make a case.

3. Difficult to concentrate on outreach on facebook.
I used to be a memelord in the past (one of my first "businesses", 8.5k posts and 800 subscribers for ONE YEAR - count how much posts per day), and I forgot memes, exist, but now it's distracting. I've sorted out that users will only care

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
You'd think I'm dead. Well, I am alive.

1) Everything was going great
2) holy shit this is soul-crushing.

1692442555813.png
Everything was going awesome. This actually is the first website I created in Figma and webflow. The plan that I had initially that "you don't know what you need until you need it worked miraculously".
1692442658901.png
The client is unpaid, mind you.

But holy shit.
Why am I doing this?
I must be raising capital for a bigger business that can serve millions and not where I trade my time off for measly money.

I had too much trouble with remapping everything in Webflow. I don't even have a "why" for this business other than "to survive" and "it's temporary". I will complete this project to deliver to this and then I will focus on raising - it's faster, and I will need probably need to be able to raise in the future anyway.

Not that I need to *raise*, but I need *something* to manufacture and at least more runway. I have less than 500$ in my bank account and I'm...

This is soulcrushing. I waste time on this.

asman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 26, 2023
Alright all.

I am starting a the third step in "from Flat Broke To Filthy Rich" ladder.

Before I was cleaning windows and let's say I had moderate success. On days when I was working I think I have recieved about 85€ average - about Ireland's minimum wage

I knew that web design/specialized skill must be the next option, but nothing has pushed me to it.
Until yesterday.

I've read a book called "The Right It" (inventors - heads up - it's The Lean Startup but better), which is a book essentially about testing your idea. It talks about concepts like pretotyping before prototyping, which is about verifying your idea (pretotyping) before verifying that you can build it (prototyping) - very recommended read.

As I've spent some time working on my invention I knew that working any more would be useless until I verify the market.

To verify the concept I concealed a test from 3d printed samples (yes fr) that would cost me about 200€.

So I've realised that I don't have those money (because I'll have my "window cleaning" income cut off - I'll have to move to another country soon)

So, get to grind:

What was done:
1) I've read @Fox's book about web design (thanks @Fox)
2) done the advice from the book - reach out to my friends
And it seems that it has worked! 1 person has said that they needed to make a simple website (not for business purposes, but for "history"), and another has said that "maybe his mom needs one" - his mom is a real estate agent.
Maybe I will have my first clients here.
3) cold emailed cleaning companies.
This:

Re: Your website can generate more sales!

So far, no responses yet.

Hope to get first clients, maybe get paid, maybe for free, and get referrals.

I also don't know everything in web design, but up until I'll work from it when I'll find a client - we are in the business of solving problems, not web design.

Plans:
Find clients
Learn and do copywriting
Try to help people get more clients if they agree for Google ads.
I think you should practice cold emailing. Read many cold emails and listen to cold calls on youtube (there is this one realtor on yt who gets 6-firgure to 7-figure real estate leads in 5-15 minutes). Based on the successful cold emails ive read, they never sound desperate. You have to change that desperate tone you use. Instead make ppl FEEL desperate for your services. Also, add urgency in your cold emails or calls.

For example, "I am offering this service to 10 people this month, and you are the last to get the offer."

You can use AI for the multiple grammar mistakes.

Of course, there are many other parts to a cold call and email, but you gotta figure them out for yourself.

Don't give up and continue working harder, in a smart way ofc.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
I think you should practice cold emailing. Read many cold emails and listen to cold calls on youtube (there is this one realtor on yt who gets 6-firgure to 7-figure real estate leads in 5-15 minutes). Based on the successful cold emails ive read, they never sound desperate. You have to change that desperate tone you use. Instead make ppl FEEL desperate for your services. Also, add urgency in your cold emails or calls.

For example, "I am offering this service to 10 people this month, and you are the last to get the offer."

You can use AI for the multiple grammar mistakes.

Of course, there are many other parts to a cold call and email, but you gotta figure them out for yourself.

Don't give up and continue working harder, in a smart way ofc.
Work in progress. Stay tuned...

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Progress:

Good:
  • Since second client ghosted started cold-calling and cold emailing. First electricians, then architects.
  • 60 cold calls and 40 emails yielded little results. I have leads I must've follow up, but didn't though.
  • Called only in Ireland (!)
  • Found that many electricians have too many clients and are booked fully; not by advertising their bigger concern is finding workers.
  • Had an idea that maybe I can solve the problem of Ireland not having enough workers: I could "import" electricians from Poland or so. I don't know polish (although I could learn it if necessary), and convincing them would be pretty easy. Documents are another thing but it's relatively easier. I don't think I tried web design enough to tell that "oh no, it's time to switch". If I'll send about 500 emails and no one will respond, then I will
  • Act-assess-adjust rules. Because I understand that people don't read nor are interested in my emails. Decided that I lack copy and learned. Robert Collins Letter Book is an absolute beast for this
  • Figured out that really people read and answer emails with 3% conversion rate (from Robert Collins, a direct mail god). Sending handcrafted emails raises it to 5-7% maybe. Sending out 10 handcrafted emails per day like I did simply won't work. So the mass email is the only option that I see really working.
  • Written the copy the other day. Sent it to 12 emails manually, but then remembered @Johnny boy's advice and fired up Apify. Holy shit, this is impressive. I searched "architects in Iowa", and put it to 2 actors - one that scrapes from Google Maps, and the other one that scrapes from the results of the first one and gives emails and phone numbers and social media. Gmass them architects.
Bad:
  1. Found another client, did a job for him (a whole website with copy, but he ghosted.
  2. The first client kind of ghosted too (he needs to buy a domain, but he didn't)
The Critical Path Principle from TGGRE by @MJ DeMarco is amazing. Pair that with Act-Assess-Adjust, and you'll never be lost in your business. You'll know what to do critically. You are not afraid if something works or not because you can assess and adjust. Who hasn't read it I encourage you to.

One thing to note is that I've seen companies literally put up "send us your marketing emails here" and "business@company.com", which may just indicate that

The copy that I've mentioned. I don't even know if it is something that people will consider serious, but it enters the flow in the prospects' head, ties everything up to the solution, presents it, pushes people to solution and hooks him up with an urgency offer.
Oh, and I created a value skew which may be huge for people:

How a businessman won

So you did it. You've started and scaled a business, which now makes good profits and satisfies enough desires that you can lay on your money like those robbers from a Breaking Bad

Now what?

WELL, now you want MORE!

More business, more orders, more customers...

What if you could get more customers?

The kind of one's that come to you themselves, willing to buy...

The kind of every architect loves and treasures: private residentials, 2000ft+ space ...

That don’t shop on the price, but go to noone but you...

What is the secret sauce? It is good marketing.

You'll feel it when you have a couple of calls from a system that was set up mere hours ago, closing leads from seems to be particularly simple. You'll feel it when you'll find a review of "I've found them on the Internet and they were absolutely amazing!". Moreover, you'll remember that this customer brought in a couple of friends, too.

Yes, advertisement does not take away any of the word-of-mouth. In fact, if you can deliver a truly supreme servies, people will share even more. More customers. Bring more customers. More money that you take home... MORE!

And the best thing? You don’t even have to do anything about it. Set it up once, send some visitors to it (which we do), and enjoy how your phone is ringing, and how your bank account pops up.

And you may be afraid of committing before you see any results. And rightfully so. That's why you'll get our services for FREE UNTIL we get you 3, paying customers.

And if at any point until we get you first customers you suddenly want to cancel, or the business is suddenly out of cash - you can no-worry cancel our services before we finish.

And if at any point until we get you first customers you suddenly want to walk away , or the business is suddenly out of cash - you can no-worry cancel our services before we finish our work - no risky commitments here.

Yes, we are getting you customers for free.

And to claim this risk-free wonderful offer, allow us to call you in the time that suits you. Just send your mobile phone, and the time that feels good for a discussion of your business, and we'll call you in the specified time.

But be ware: we have only enough personell to handle 2 free-until-results projects at once, and one is already in the works. There is only one place left, and if you don’t inquiry, someone else may take it. Send your contacts right now, and maybe you'll get a chance to work through the no-risk scheme (and the next will, sadly have to pay).

So send us your phone number right now and we'll build you a system that gets you customers - and you'll get at least 3 customers - or we don't charge you a penny. But beware: we have only enough personell to handle 2 free-until-results projects at once, and one is already busy working. Send your contacts right now, and maybe you'll get a chance to work through the no-risk scheme. (and the next inquirer will have to pay).

Sincerely yours,

Max

P.S. I am creating a system for you that generates customers on autopilot for FREE. You can sit back and enjoy the profits flowing, and we won’t charge you a penny until we get you first 3 customers – free. Send your mobile number here and suitable time here and we’ll discuss how your brand and what customers you wish to get most.

And for once I feel that I know what I am doing?

Last edited:

kiwiana

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 7, 2017
Progress:

Good:
  • Since second client ghosted started cold-calling and cold emailing. First electricians, then architects.
  • 60 cold calls and 40 emails yielded little results. I have leads I must've follow up, but didn't though.
  • Found that many electricians have too many clients and are booked fully; not by advertising their bigger concern is finding workers.
  • Had an idea that maybe I can solve the problem of Ireland not having enough workers: I could "import" electricians from Poland or so. I don't know polish (although I could learn it if necessary), and convincing them would be pretty easy. Documents are another thing but it's relatively easier. I don't think I tried web design enough to tell that "oh no, it's time to switch". If I'll send about 500 emails and no one will respond, then I will
  • Act-assess-adjust rules. Because I understand that people don't read nor are interested in my emails. Decided that I lack copy and learned. Robert Collins Letter Book is an absolute beast for this
  • Figured out that really people read and answer emails with 3% conversion rate (from Robert Collins, a direct mail god). Sending handcrafted emails raises it to 5-7% maybe. Sending out 10 handcrafted emails per day like I did simply won't work. So the mass email is the only option that I see really working.
  • Written the copy the other day. Sent it to 12 emails manually, but then remembered @Johnny boy's advice and fired up Apify. Holy shit, this is impressive. I searched "architects in Iowa", and put it to 2 actors - one that scrapes from Google Maps, and the other one that scrapes from the results of the first one and gives emails and phone numbers and social media. Gmass them architects.
Bad:
  1. Found another client, did a job for him (a whole website with copy, but he ghosted.
  2. The first client kind of ghosted too (he needs to buy a domain, but he didn't)
The Critical Path Principle from TGGRE by @MJ DeMarco is amazing. Pair that with Act-Assess-Adjust, and you'll never be lost in your business. You'll know what to do critically. You are not afraid if something works or not because you can assess and adjust. Who hasn't read it I encourage you to.

One thing to note is that I've seen companies literally put up "send us your marketing emails here" and "business@company.com", which may just indicate that

The copy that I've mentioned. I don't even know if it is something that people will consider serious, but it enters the flow in the prospects' head, ties everything up to the solution, presents it, pushes people to solution and hooks him up with an urgency offer.

Creating a temp agency of experienced tradespeople that an electrician or plumber can hire on demand sounds like a fascinating idea. Most trades people I work with are solo 100% but even they could use a helping hand once in a while, esp plumbers who handle heavy things like moving bath tubs.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Creating a temp agency of experienced tradespeople that an electrician or plumber can hire on demand sounds like a fascinating idea. Most trades people I work with are solo 100% but even they could use a helping hand once in a while, esp plumbers who handle heavy things like moving bath tubs.
That's called subcontractors... It's the industry standard, basically

Olezhest

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 15, 2023
Progress:

Good:
Bad:

I'm Ukrainian electrician in Ireland, i can tell you many things about this business here. But few you should know, we - electricians, don't have problem with customers or jobs here in Ireland( our phone is red from calling, headhunters are calling 3-5 times a week!!). I tell you more, big companies scooping all country desperately trying to find anyone available. Not enough trades people!!! So Electricians now aren't bothering advertising themselves, they have customers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.