The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting an Exteriors Company with No Experience

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

cashf1ow

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 16, 2021
I've been kicking around the idea of starting an exterior repairs company-roofs, gutters, siding, shutters, decks, etc., but I have literally 0 experience or knowledge in this area. My general concept is to market, sell, and schedule jobs and then find subcontractors to physically do the work. If the business were to evolve then I would eventually hire my own crews for the physical work and for sales and office work with me at the top making the critical decisions. I have no idea how to price jobs or how to find reliable and quality subcontractors. Do I need a license to do this?

Does anyone have any experience or insight on this that they could share?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I've been kicking around the idea of starting an exterior repairs company-roofs, gutters, siding, shutters, decks, etc., but I have literally 0 experience or knowledge in this area. My general concept is to market, sell, and schedule jobs and then find subcontractors to physically do the work. If the business were to evolve then I would eventually hire my own crews for the physical work and for sales and office work with me at the top making the critical decisions. I have no idea how to price jobs or how to find reliable and quality subcontractors. Do I need a license to do this?

@GravyBoat does this.
@Borregoed also does local services but can't remember the scope at the moment.

Hope they can pitch in :)

D

Deleted68316

Love your boldness.

I can't help you but just for curiosity: which skills do you have?

Based on how you talk, you seem very confident about sales.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
What’s up guys.

Thanks Mike for the tag

OP, you’re gonna want to niche down. Exterior repairs is an extremely broad scope. That could be concrete, drywall, roofing, gutters, etc. Those are all very different industries with different tools, bidding, timeframes etc.

My niche is rain gutters ONLY. We do some upsells such as roof cleaning & water damage prevention. But by and large it’s rain gutters.

Check my progress thread I just posted an update so you can see what’s really possible in a few years of hard work.

If you have specific questions hit me up or reply in my thread I’d be happy to answer there so everyone can see and benefit.

Lastly, don’t “kick around ideas.” Execute, give it 6 months, then weigh your options at that point. Ideas are for losers. Action is for winners.

neilz

PARKED
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 3, 2015
What’s up guys.

Thanks Mike for the tag

OP, you’re gonna want to niche down. Exterior repairs is an extremely broad scope. That could be concrete, drywall, roofing, gutters, etc. Those are all very different industries with different tools, bidding, timeframes etc.

My niche is rain gutters ONLY. We do some upsells such as roof cleaning & water damage prevention. But by and large it’s rain gutters.

Check my progress thread I just posted an update so you can see what’s really possible in a few years of hard work.

If you have specific questions hit me up or reply in my thread I’d be happy to answer there so everyone can see and benefit.

Lastly, don’t “kick around ideas.” Execute, give it 6 months, then weigh your options at that point. Ideas are for losers. Action is for winners.
Late for this...will check on your progress Gravyboat...but could not have said it better. So many different ways the exterior goes. I am focusing on only one. I saw you mentioned Houston in another thread, Are you still in Houston?

Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.