The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spot BS: Post your favorite MLM pitch...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I've done a few MLMs when I was younger. And direct sales too. (Remember the Olympia Sales Club for kids?)
One of the most annoying pitches I get is the "It didn't work because you didn't try hard enough":

Example - based on real experience:
=========================

Mary Kay Drone: "You can make a lot of money with Mary Kay."

Me: "Nope. I've tried it, and while the products are cool, there are plenty of saleswomen and the market is saturated. I'm just not interested in it."

Mary Kay Drone: "You didn't have any success when you were a Mary Kay rep?"

Me: "Nope. Everybody and their mother was already selling it."

Mary Kay: "Yes we're the number one company for women in America, but there's always room for growth and expansion. I find it hard to believe that you weren't successful. You probably didn't try hard enough."

Me: *turning hot under the collar* "Excuse me? Yes, I did."

Mary Kay Drone: "I don't think so. Anyone can be successful with this company. You didn't have a good experience because you didn't give it enough effort."

At that point, you WON'T get my attention, my respect or any of my patience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
If someone wants me to give them mindless adulation like that, they need to go beyond success. They need to do like what Jeremy Clarkson does-Make a fortune doing something normal people would *pay* a fortune to do.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'm not against MLM but I've just done enough of them to know it's not for me.
The best MLM works because the PRODUCTS work and there's a limited number of reps in the territory.

If you can get in on something early on, you'll reap the benefits because you're an early adopter, parle that time and experience into the business and keep it moving. But more often than not, when you're signing up for one of these companies, you're down to your last few hundred bucks and are sold on the opportunities it presents.

I have done:

- Avon
- Mary Kay
- Petra
- Undercover Wear
- Fine Choice Food Club
- Primerica (bah!)

and considered

- Passion Parties
- Bedroom Kandi
- ItWorks (body wraps)
- Pampered Chef

More often than not, the person putting me on to the opportunity is almost always struggling - at their day job and at this second gig. And they're more interested in pursuing recruits than selling the product. I'm not for that. When I know of and like something, I LOVE to sell - because I do it easily and naturally. In my blogs, in my communications and in my conversations with friends!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
"You are invited to a my business networking party!, come meet other like minded people!"

*Goes to business "party"*

Ends up being an MLM pitching nightmare and not an actual legit networking event / party. :cuss: :pissed: :bgh:

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
MLMs are the definition of a dead end sales job.

To me, it's not even a job. Cleaning toilets is a job. Babysitting screaming 4-year-olds is a job. Paying $600 for a "starter kit" off of which you barely break even by the time you realize what a sucker you were and quit isn't a job, it's "stupidity" as a formal hobby.

You know how MJ talks about the commandment of time? This is like the reverse of that, where you end up working to pay for stuff you had to buy to earn the privilege of working.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
You can own your own business! And only have to manage 2 people under you!....

And if these 2 people are good, and manage 2 more people under them... imagine the compound growth! You'll be rich in NO TIME!

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
MLMs are the definition of a dead end sales job.

Not really, I would take a dead end sales job over an MLM anyday as I woudl have a better chance to get paid.

Ends up being an MLM pitching nightmare and not an actual legit networking event / party. :cuss: :pissed: :bgh:

Since most networking parties are just people trying to sell you something also, insurance, printing etc. I would not go to one of those either.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I SWEAR. It's not a pyramid scheme!

Lol I heard one like this from a friend about Amway. Hes like you are a business guy want to start another? Im like sure if I can make at least 100k in the next year. He said absolutely. Haha this guy is broke as shit. I asked what it was and he said "its this new thing called Amway" I said it is a joke to call that a business and that it is an MLM and he told me they changed it and it isnt MLM anymore. Dipshit.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I always feel kinda bad for them. I've never met a smart or socially mobile person in MLM. I'm sure they must be in there, near the top, but the peons are always the most world-weary helpless rubes who've ever lived.

Ahahahaha I hope you stick around.

Whiphsh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jan 10, 2013
Lithuania
I actually wanted to kill some time with the dude just for fun, so I acted as if I was interested.

Him: Okay now here's a spreadsheet now let's take your phone and write all your contacts down in here.

Me: -

Him: Also, if there's anyone else you know who is not in your phone book, include them when you get back home.

Me: Yeah I actually left my phone at home so I'll fill them when I can...(I actually answered his call on the way to the cafe we met in *facepalm* )

Him: Yeah that's fine. Anyway, we could meet again tomorrow and call them together. What do you think?

I actually wonder how it worked out for him. Amway was a new thing here at that time so he must have gotten at least a coupl of people into it.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I hope you stick around.

Don't worry. TMF came at just the right time for me, a time when I was already starting to realize the cracks in slow-lane fiscal strategy (why was my dad, a brilliant man from a universally highly motivated family, the only one of his three brothers to go to graduate school, and to Wharton no less, but also the only one that wasn't a millionaire? Why were people with far better jobs and double my income struggling financially while I powered out of my student loan debt and now have tons of financial security?). Although the analogy has been weakened by the number of people who've co-opted it, the Matrix-pill thing is pretty apt. Once you start seeing the world this way, once you realize that sidewalking is a mentality and not an income level (one of the best points in TMF , IMO) and that time is the only resource that can't be exponentially multiplied (you can earn five billion dollars, but five trillion dollars won't help you live even 150 years, let alone the thousands of years it would take to slow lane your way to fastlane freedom. I think I'll be sticking around.

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York
Not really a failure sales pitch but I witnessed the darkside of MLM.

My old Criminal Justice teacher from high school got pitched and hooked by one of his former students to attend a Primerica meeting. He attended, signed up, made a decent amount of money his first couple of months then QUIT his day job. Yes he quit his teacher job to work full time for Primerica. Long story short, the Primerica sales stopped coming in and his wife and kids ended up leaving him.

It's really sad how these companies brainwash these people to believe in a side walk "business opportunity."

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A couple years ago my FB feed was blowing up with this company.

Now I'm seeing a feed full of disgruntled distributors and even "MLM gurus" taking swipes at this company.

Turns out, it's just another MLM fighting to stay alive...

If you read the parent company's quarterly report, let the numbers do the talking.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/blyth-inc-reports-2nd-quarter-2014-sales-and-earnings-2014-08-01

In the Health & Wellness segment, ViSalus's second quarter net sales were $53.6 million versus $101.5 million for the same period last year, a decline of 47%, largely reflecting the reduced promoter base in North America. At the end of the second quarter, qualified independent North American promoters totaled approximately 28,700 versus approximately 36,100 at the end of the first quarter, and approximately 57,200 at the end of the prior year's second quarter.

47% revenue decline. :eek:
Nearly 50% distributor decline. :eek:

To quote the old 80s movie, War Games folks, the only winning move [in MLM] is not to play at all. And yet, I'm sure there will be thousands of people salivating to climb aboard a sinking ship.

Class actions to spice it up as well.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2051098

Last edited:

Ajay2390

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 27, 2014
London, UK
This thread is fantastic! My Ex-Gf was swooped into Marykay, was in it for a bit and was making slow money...she dropped out because she just got pissed off with her "team leader" showing off in her (Leased) Merc and giving Ex-Gf too much grief and hassling her to sell more. She dropped out.

Had a friend who was hooked on Amway(his whole family too) he was making slowlane money, ALWAYS trying to make me go to his Amway meetings. To be frank, I knew to stay away from things like this. So he got my younger bother to attend this meeting and he walked out half way Haha. He said the people in there were like slaves worshipping this dude that ran the whole thing.:notworthy::cookoo::totalbs: So therefore he vowed not to be apart of that lol.

Oh and he also said they showed "THE SECRET" Video to everyone to, I guess, brainwash these people.

MLM + Law of Attraction = Fully Fledged DRONE!

I totally understand how a person can be sucked into the bullshit pitch due to maybe unforeseen circumstances. This is the harsh truth, most people out there are so blind(some very stupid), they will fall for anything and half way down the line, when they don't reap benefits they wouldn't even Think to observe the company but just pedal backwards.

But there is a Good point in MLM..

Once an MLM fellow approches you with his/her cheesy pitch, you get to scrutinize their beliefs and earnings then dig very deep into his psychological thinking and "mind F*ck" him/her until sees sense in what he has been pulled into whilst you just laugh loool:rockon:

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Not really a failure sales pitch but I witnessed the darkside of MLM.

My old Criminal Justice teacher from high school got pitched and hooked by one of his former students to attend a Primerica meeting. He attended, signed up, made a decent amount of money his first couple of months then QUIT his day job. Yes he quit his teacher job to work full time for Primerica. Long story short, the Primerica sales stopped coming in and his wife and kids ended up leaving him.

It's really sad how these companies brainwash these people to believe in a side walk "business opportunity."

Isn't Primerica an insurance company and not an MLM?

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Jez: The first thing to say would be that this is not pyramid selling.
Mark: You're doing pyramid selling?!
Jez: No, no, not pyramid selling.
Mark: I can't believe you're into pyramid selling.
Jez: Listen, listen. It's not pyramid selling, it's... network... marketing and it's a guaranteed money making... Mark! I've seen the, the charts!
Mark: Oh the "charts". There are "charts". Why didn't you tell me about the "charts".
Jez: Are you... trying to... piss on my bonfire?
Mark: I'm trying to... protect you from... pissing all over yourself.
Jez: I'm not about to piss... all over myself. I'm... I'm pissing into the... bigtime.

Courtesy of Peep Show :)

Kshatriya

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 13, 2014
Where am I?
"Unlike all other companies, this has a unique opportunity."
Since it's a small town, I've heard 3-4 people using the same dialog with some other people. My driving master made over USD 3500 within first month and a bit more in the second month, and I didn't see him recently. Nobody else made it so well here anyway.

Another common pitch "You'll get products for the joining fee you pay."

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I just love when they stop you and ask, "what would YOU do with an extra $500 a month?"

And then actually sit there until I tell them.

OH, and the classic, "Well, you know 5 people, right?"

Like there is any person on earth that is going to say, "Nope, just you, my mom, and the guy you just bought my coffee from...."

I never actually joined any MLM stuff, but I am a HUGE fan :D

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
"I've never sold a verve in my life and never will. Thats not what we do"
Interesting...so what exactly do you do?
"you shouldnt be so closed minded, this is like when google was starting"
this sounds more like Enron
"you have nothing to lose"
I do actually its called my time.
"were not a direct sales company?"
so how exactly does your company make money

next day she messages me again
"Heyy!! were having a huge meeting in Broward can I count you in???"
No, I have to go return some tapes

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
G

GuestUser113

"I've never sold a verve in my life and never will. Thats not what we do"
Interesting...so what exactly do you do?
"you shouldnt be so closed minded, this is like when google was starting"
this sounds more like Enron
"you have nothing to lose"
I do actually its called my time.
"were not a direct sales company?"
so how exactly does your company make money

next day she messages me again
"Heyy!! were having a huge meeting in Broward can I count you in???"
No, I have to go return some tapes

bullshit-50s-guy.png

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
"Aren't you tired of those MLM schemes? SO ARE WE! That's why for $50 you can become a member and then buy our products..."

I was ready to flip a f***ing table

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Me: So what do you do?
Her: Oh, I'm a leader in our <insert bullshit MLM team here> and I help people to make money online.
Me: I like that, how exactly does it work? (being naive lol)
Her: It;s very easy and our team is very helpful. We have weekly <bullshit> webinars. If you join our team of leaders <implying you will become a leader> you get access to all our training videos and you get your own <iframed domain>website. It is only $25.
Me: So how do I make money if I join?
Her: You get access to your own blog where you can write about anything you are passionate about. Then people will find your site from google and they will join and...
Me:

haha ;)

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Happened to a friend of mine who got invited by his friend.

His friend: Hey bro, come with me this Wed night, its a lady's night.
My friend: Where we goin'?
His friend: I know a place, we can check out some babes.
My friend: Ok see you then!

Wednesday night.
His friend: We're here, let me introduce you to a friend of mine (upline)
His friend's Upline: Let me tell you about a business opportunity.
My friend: *In his mind* - "Kidnapped!"

Mr.International

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 22, 2013
Ft. Worth, Texas
Here are some commonly asked questions THAT SCREAM MLM.

1. ARE you looking for a groundbreaking opportunity?
2. Are you the type of person that keeps your ear to the ground for a business opportunity?
3. Whats your Plan B?
4. Are you looking to make supplimental income, i cant promise you anything but if you leave me your phone # i may get back with you? *HE or She Will Most Definitely Get Back With You*

if you hear these phrases RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

Something else i find funny is when companies bash each other.

example;
(Amway Rep) We have the most credibility of Any Other Company! We have been around for 40+ years and 10 million reps worldwide. I"m thinking to myself How the hell am i going to make money competing with 10 million other people selling the exact same thing as me?

(Competitor) Amway is a Dinosaur their market is Saturated, we are on The Ground Floor you better get involved Before WE Hit Momentum So YOU CAN RIDE THE WAVE!!!

hahah i find it amusing.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
His friend: Hey bro, come with me this Wed night, its a lady's night.
My friend: Where we goin'?
His friend: I know a place, we can check out some babes.
My friend: Ok see you then!
Wednesday night.
His friend: We're here, let me introduce you to a friend of mine (upline)
His friend's Upline: Let me tell you about a business opportunity.
My friend: *In his mind* - "Kidnapped!"

:playful:
:hilarious: Great

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
Luckily for me I've only encountered these people a few times in my life.

A friend of my wife's keeps pushing that bracelet company.

Wife felt bad and ended up spending $100 or so on some cheap bracelets lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.