The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Something that got you through the hardtimes?

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
What is something that has gotten you through the hard times of running your own business?

For me, everytime I run into something that has frusterated me, I pop in Tony Robbin's "AWAKEN THE GIANT WITHIN" CD and I'm remotivated. He truly helps one realize your true potential and the actual power of making decisions.

His True Success Formula is as follows:
1. Clearly decide what you want. What is preventing you from having it now?
2. Take ACTION. TAKE MASSIVE ACTION
3. Notice what's working and what's not working.
4. When things aren't working, change your approach continually until it does work, and you achieve what you truly want.

His 6 Keys to Decisions:
1. Remember the true power of making decisions
2. Realize the hardest part of achieving anything is COMMITTMENT
3. Make decisions often
4. Learn from your decisions
5. Stay Committed to your decisions. Be flexible in your approach.
6. ENJOY MAKING DECISIONS.

If you haven't taken any course of action, you really haven't decided yet.

MP

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What is something that has gotten you through the hard times of running your own business?

For me, everytime I run into something that has frusterated me, I pop in Tony Robbin's "AWAKEN THE GIANT WITHIN" CD and I'm remotivated. He truly helps one realize your true potential and the actual power of making decisions.

His True Success Formula is as follows:
1. Clearly decide what you want. What is preventing you from having it now?
2. Take ACTION. TAKE MASSIVE ACTION
3. Notice what's working and what's not working.
4. When things aren't working, change your approach continually until it does work, and you achieve what you truly want.

His 6 Keys to Decisions:
1. Remember the true power of making decisions
2. Realize the hardest part of achieving anything is COMMITTMENT
3. Make decisions often
4. Learn from your decisions
5. Stay Committed to your decisions. Be flexible in your approach.
6. ENJOY MAKING DECISIONS.

If you haven't taken any course of action, you really haven't decided yet.

MP

Awesome ... Awaken the Giant was also my refuge in hard times. The choices and decision making part is priceless.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I might want to check that out. Being without a partner can really get you down when its a one person Operation. Intresting thread i hope more people will contribute.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
I might want to check that out. Being without a partner can really get you down when its a one person Operation. Intresting thread i hope more people will contribute.

Just remember that a one person operation keeps 100% of the profits to himself/herself. Cherching!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
100% of $500 a day isnt as good as 75% of $1000.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thats not the principle, if 500 is all one person can make in the day have two/3/4 people is even better by compounding the workload. i can make 60% of what 4 people can do in a day is much better than grinding away making 100% of $500

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Being without a partner can really get you down when its a one person Operation.

If having a partner was good, God would have one. :D

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
If having a partner was good, God would have one. :D

Did you start out Solo Peter? Tough game for me, thus far it hasn't stopped me but it puts thoughts in my head.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Did you start out Solo Peter? Tough game for me, thus far it hasn't stopped me but it puts thoughts in my head.

I have had partners in the past and I have learned my lesson. Never again. :tdown:

Why do you feel it's tough without partners? Care to explain?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I have had partners in the past and I have learned my lesson. Never again. :tdown:

Why do you feel it's tough without partners? Care to explain?

Lack of motivation, Its also attributed to having no long time personal friends that are Owners/investors/ or any bit above working day jobs and careers. Therefore my motivation is strictley based on me and what keeps me motivated, however, at times that still dies out and you need someone to push you. Sure I make money, but its boring when you have noone to talk about and motivate you twords the same goals and aspirations you have. Make sense?

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Lack of motivation, Its also attributed to having no long time personal friends that are Owners/investors/ or any bit above working day jobs and careers. Therefore my motivation is strictley based on me and what keeps me motivated, however, at times that still dies out and you need someone to push you. Sure I make money, but its boring when you have noone to talk about and motivate you twords the same goals and aspirations you have. Make sense?

I understand how you feel. What you need to do is surround yourself with other like minded people that can support you. Joining this forum is a great start. I also suggest that you join your local chamber of commerce. Make some friends with other business people and share your goals and aspirations with them. Make them hold you accountable.

You mentioned that you sometimes have a hard time with your motivation. Have you clearly identified what it is that you want in life? Have you set a date as to when you expect to get it? Have you identified the obstacles you must overcome in order to get there? Have you identified the people you need to work with in order to get there? Have you spelled out what you need to know to reach your objective? Have you developed a plan of action? Have you written it down as to what's in it for you? Why do you want to reach the goal in the first place?

If you don't have clearly spelled out goals, you will always have a hard time with your motivation.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I understand how you feel. What you need to do is surround yourself with other like minded people that can support you. Joining this forum is a great start. I also suggest that you join your local chamber of commerce. Make some friends with other business people and share your goals and aspirations with them. Make them hold you accountable.

You mentioned that you sometimes have a hard time with your motivation. Have you clearly identified what it is that you want in life? Have you set a date as to when you expect to get it? Have you identified the obstacles you must overcome in order to get there? Have you identified the people you need to work with in order to get there? Have you spelled out what you need to know to reach your objective? Have you developed a plan of action? Have you written it down as to what's in it for you? Why do you want to reach the goal in the first place?

If you don't have clearly spelled out goals, you will always have a hard time with your motivation.

I know i need to surround myself with those types but its more so hard to come by people that i feel i can trust. CoC is the only thing i havn't joined yet and im not sure why. Im sure i will have to look into that soon.

As far as writing out goals, Havn't got to that point mainly because i have no time now todo anything, its work all the time. I like your suggestion though and maybe thats something i can start to work on.

I do pick up alot of motivation off of similar sites ( came here from LP if thats what you were wondering). But in all reality i cant sit and talk with anyone face to face because you all are on the internet not at my place. :smxF:

I'm thinking maybe i need to take a weekend off and go somewhere with pen and paper and come up with something as far as my goals. Then report back. But looks like the weekends are all full for the next short while!:rofl:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Partners can be a double edged sword.
If you end up with a bad one... it can sour you for life.

If you end up with a great one - it can launch you farther then you could have ever dreamed on your own... its synergy.

In one of the Rich Dad books - RK talkes about a good partnership containing "water, fire, air, earth" - (is that it? My memory is going)

No one person can be ALL that it takes for a business. You need the fire, passion, and vision of the future. You also need to pay attention to the details. It is a rare person indeed that is good at both....

Starting a business (or investing in Real Estate) also takes: time, knowledge, capital, and credit..... again... some people may have a few of those things, but not all of them.

If God didn't believe in partners - he would not have made man AND woman. -

Having said that - a partnership is not something you jump into with both feet and no prep time. Those of us that have been burned by partners know that.

There is a growth process when it comes to learning about yourself and how you do with partners....

One is learning how to "screen" them - and not just get carried away on an excitement or passion.

• Do they believe in scarcity or abundance?
  • What will they put first - the hand that feeds the mouth or "numero uno" (as a former partner of mine used to say) :dead:
  • What is their risk tolerance?
  • What is the exit strategy? - in both the business AND the partnership. Even good partnerships end sometime. If everyone has a clear understanding about that upfront - so much the better.

Money and stress :smxD: MAGNIFY :smxD: people's basic values. Understand the values of your potential business partner before you find yourself in a stressful business situation with them.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
As far as writing out goals, Havn't got to that point mainly because i have no time now todo anything, its work all the time.

I suggest you take the time. You have to have goals. How are you going to reach a goal you don't even have?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I suggest you take the time. You have to have goals. How are you going to reach a goal you don't even have?

This could be part of my problem right now. Im expanding at a fast rate and absorbing the money that comes with it, but i get lost in confusion of doing more. Probably because i have nothign to aim at. Taking a road across america to get to california, vs getting in the car and just gunning it in a straight line pointed in that direction. dont know where your gunna end up or where you are halfway through.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
Thats not the principle, if 500 is all one person can make in the day have two/3/4 people is even better by compounding the workload. i can make 60% of what 4 people can do in a day is much better than grinding away making 100% of $500

Very true. I was just winding you up anyway ;)

The ideal scenario is 100% ownership of the company, with motivated employees doing the work for you.

My preference is for online automated systems that require very little input from me per client. This way a percentage of my clients have no contact with me or anyone else within the company. They pay, use the service and are happy.

This gives me more time for marketing and dealing with problematic and VIP type clientelle.

Ownership is key imo if you want very high levels of wealth.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
On the trip back from meeting a client yesterday, The girlfriend and I decided to stop into a more high end mall in the area. We didn't need to go buy anything but more of a hey lets walk around and take a look. Well walking through, we came up on a very high end Watch and jewlery store Lenkersdorfer and Co that carries high end watches. so looking through the window, Someone was looking at me, i look up. HEY its an old buddy of mine and hes acctually working there..... awesome. So i go in, get to see alot of Panerais, high end breitlings, IWC, etc etc. WOW all the sudden im super motivated.

moral of my paragraph, seeing things you love can shoot your motivation through the roof. They will be carrying AP soon so i will head back there then. I dont think it would have had the same effect if my buddy had not been there to acctually show me the watches as oppossed to looking at them through the glass.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Another point of view here. It is very easy to stay focused when you don't have enough money or power or what ever you are working toward. It is very easy to keep your eye on the prize when it dangles ahead of you. It is actually more difficult to stay motivated once you have met that first, or second, or third goal. Dreaming big enough dreams and thinking far enough ahead is much harder. Once you exceed the financial position of your parents, family & friends it is easy to fall into the sit back & take it easy mode and not go on to finish your plans.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
If there is one thing I am learning here is that without a definite plan all you are doing is dreaming. Still dreaming for that cash to fall from the sky is insane. What I have been kind of noticing as I am coming up with new ideas and money inflows is that little progress is the crucial part. Everyone can sit and dream about 50k watch. But there is no link from 0 to that dream. There is just filler. But consider having a goal of buying a $500 watch. Now how realistic are your means now? And when you start making that little money, it is easy to see how it can all add up to big money (at least I hope that's how it works).
I have a project that I am putting together in the next 2 weeks that can potentially land me 3,000. Now when you compare 3k to 50k for that watch - it is nothing. But when you compare that with $300/week for a paycheck, that is much better.

Set definite steps. Research. Do your homework. Start slow and finish wealthy.

Cal.Sunshine

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 25, 2007
I disagree. It can sometimes be easier to raise $3 million than $3,000. It all depends on your context.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.