The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Social Media Tricks Don’t Work Long Term

Marketing, social media, advertising

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Most of what you've been told about making a winning video on social media is a lie.

This goes against some of the things I've posted over the months in the forum, but I would rather face reality and spread the truth rather than try to stay consistent with a narrative I now know is false.

I had this epiphany when videos I was spending 15 minutes editing were doing better consistently than videos I was spending 2 HOURS editing.

The more popular social media gets, the more people (who've barely had a video work for themselves) there are that come around saying they know exactly how to game the algorithm with tricks and hacks..

The harsh truth? No one knows that these tricks and hacks are doing ANYTHING.

The stuff moving around in the background to trick people into watching? The emojis popping up? The subtitles that are 100 different colors and moving around so much to the point where they're not readable?

all BS.

Let me give you an example:

a Business Coach on social media.

Tell me, if you're the viewer of a person making business content why in the world would you care about an emoji popping up while he or she says something?

If I'm watching a business coach on social media, there are only three things I care about as I come across their video.

1. Is the hook of the video something I understand and would it help me improve by knowing the answer?
2. Is the creator speaking in a way that I can understand?
3. Is the video entertaining without fluff and boringness?

Let's say that this business coach decides to add a colorful rainbow effect to his subtitles because a social media guru told him it "holds attention".

If I'm watching it, my thoughts are going to be "I can barely read the freaking subtitles and they're actually very annoying!"

Just because everyone else is using these fake tactics does not mean they are doing anything. It's just that the current programming online that has people thinking that if they don't know how to do all of these different hacks, they can't succeed on social.

Real Life Example:
Alex Hormozi.

Phenomenal business guy, gives great advice, love his stuff. It's easy to see why people follow him. He's entertaining and knowledgeable.

Recently, Alex has been getting backlash from viewers on his videos..

The editing is simply.. TOO MUCH. Things constantly moving, flying around, it makes it hard to focus on the point of the video.

-

To me, making videos is a lot like the fitness industry.

There are all the workout gurus saying "bosu ball lateral raises" "drink apple cider vinegar for gains!!" but anyone who's been working out for long enough knows that working out is simply.. pick up heavy stuff, put it down, then eat to recover your muscles and be consistent.

In the video industry right now it is the same.

"Add this arrow here!" "Make a mannequin move in the background to trick people!" "Use a loop to trick people into watching!"

Meanwhile some of the most successful personalities on social media platforms just have basic editing on their videos with subtitles but THEY are the thing that people are attracted to.

Most popular videos of people talking that I see have the following:

1. a hook
2. a charismatic personality
3. a story
4. a fast pace without any boring moments
5. wait till the end to give the full answer
6. a polarizing viewpoint
7. subtitles
8. great actionable information
9. Relevant editing

The moral of the story is that Knowledge & Personality & Mystery with a sprinkle of good editing to make the video easier to watch (because that should be the goal. to make the video as easy to understand and as easy to watch as possible) is all you need to do on social media.

You don't need to spend 2 hours editing a 60 second video. it is a waste of time.

I would like to bring light to a new way to edit your videos.

RELEVANT EDITING

There are strategies I think that create RELEVANCY in a video and SHOULD be edited in. For example, if someone is referencing something, add a photo or B-Roll of it. If someone is getting emotional, add sound emotional effects.

If something you edit into a video will help understand you or your video more, then put it in.

Anyways...

What DOES work however, that social media gurus don't really mention much.. Is intentionally putting all of those short videos into as many places as possible for people to see them. (forums, groups, other social media platforms, multiple accounts on social media)

If someone says they KNOW a video will work and tell you to post it on one account, that person is lying. They're simply hoping.

Base your social media strategy on probability, NOT hope.

Hope this is valuable

Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Most of what you've been told about making a winning video on social media is a lie.

This goes against some of the things I've posted over the months in the forum, but I would rather face reality and spread the truth rather than try to stay consistent with a narrative I now know is false.

I had this epiphany when videos I was spending 15 minutes editing were doing better consistently than videos I was spending 2 HOURS editing.

The more popular social media gets, the more people (who've barely had a video work for themselves) there are that come around saying they know exactly how to game the algorithm with tricks and hacks..

The stuff moving around in the background to trick people into watching? The emojis popping up? The subtitles that are 100 different colors and moving around so much to the point where they're not readable?

all BS.

Tell me, if you're the viewer of a person making business content why in the world would you care about an emoji popping up while he or she says something?

If I'm watching a business coach on social media, there are only three things I care about as I come across their video.

1. Is the hook of the video something I understand and would it help me improve by knowing the answer?

Let's say that this business coach decides to add a colorful rainbow effect to his subtitles because a social media guru told him it "holds attention".

If I'm watching it, my thoughts are going to be "I can barely read the freaking subtitles and they're actually very annoying!"

Just because everyone else is using these fake tactics does not mean they are doing anything. It's just that the current programming online that has people thinking that if they don't know how to do all of these different hacks, they can't succeed on social.

Real Life Example:

Alex Hormozi.

Phenomenal business guy, gives great advice, love his stuff. It's easy to see why people follow him. He's entertaining and knowledgeable.

The editing is simply.. TOO MUCH. Things constantly moving, flying around, it makes it hard to focus on the point of the video.

-

There are all the workout gurus saying "bosu ball lateral raises" "drink apple cider vinegar for gains!!" but anyone who's been working out for long enough knows that working out is simply.. pick up heavy stuff, put it down, then eat to recover your muscles and be consistent.

"Add this arrow here!" "Make a mannequin move in the background to trick people!" "Use a loop to trick people into watching!"

Meanwhile some of the most successful personalities on social media platforms just have basic editing on their videos with subtitles but THEY are the thing that people are attracted to.

1. a hook
3. a story
7. subtitles
9. Relevant editing

The moral of the story is that Knowledge & Personality & Mystery with a sprinkle of good editing to make the video easier to watch (because that should be the goal. to make the video as easy to understand and as easy to watch as possible) is all you need to do on social media.

You don't need to spend 2 hours editing a 60 second video. it is a waste of time.

RELEVANT EDITING

There are strategies I think that create RELEVANCY in a video and SHOULD be edited in. For example, if someone is referencing something, add a photo or B-Roll of it. If someone is getting emotional, add sound emotional effects.

If something you edit into a video will help understand you or your video more, then put it in.

Anyways...

What DOES work however, that social media gurus don't really mention much.. Is intentionally putting all of those short videos into as many places as possible for people to see them. (forums, groups, other social media platforms,
multiple accounts on social media)

If someone says they KNOW a video will work and tell you to post it on one account, that person is lying. They're simply hoping.

Hope this is valuable

Mike
It doesn't feel on brand for me to have emojis and rapid fire multi-coloured captions whizz past as I'm talking.

Good content delivered well doesn't need gimmicks to keep people watching.

I don't think gimmicky videos will age well either. I'd like my kids and future generations to get value from my videos, and I want to stand by them in decades to come and still want to direct people to them.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I don't think gimmicky videos will age well either. I'd like my kids and future generations to get value from my videos, and I want to stand by them in decades to come and still want to direct people to them.
This.

There’s no positive energy with all the gimmicks, no connection.

I’d rather have a video from the heart get 50,000 viewers than a gimmicky video get a million

Erik_Mark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 5, 2022
Tucson AZ

all BS.

Real Life Example:

Alex Hormozi.

-

1. a hook
3. a story
7. subtitles
9. Relevant editing

RELEVANT EDITING

Anyways...

What DOES work however, that social media gurus don't really mention much.. Is intentionally putting all of those short videos into as many places as possible for people to see them. (forums, groups, other social media platforms,
multiple accounts on social media)

Hope this is valuable

Mike
While I am a huge Alex Hormozi fan, I would tend to agree. His channel has added about 250K since I started following, but as you said I think it’s mostly due to shorts and let’s not forget and, I think this one of the MOST overlooked things, he’s been on almost every other “business” podcast/show on YouTube, many of which have over a million subs, and fairly recently. I think collaborating for cross over audience of the same genre is really under emphasized by folks.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
While I am a huge Alex Hormozi fan, I would tend to agree. His channel has added about 250K since I started following, but as you said I think it’s mostly due to shorts and let’s not forget and, I think this one of the MOST overlooked things, he’s been on almost every other “business” podcast/show on YouTube, many of which have over a million subs, and fairly recently. I think collaborating for cross over audience of the same genre is really under emphasized by folks.
Totally agree. Collaboration and publicity is so overlooked.. great strategy for growth!

Erik_Mark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 5, 2022
Tucson AZ
Totally agree. Collaboration and publicity is so overlooked.. great strategy for growth!
Also thanks for taking the time to write it out Mike! I don't know almost anything about video editing, but I know it probably should be a tool in my arsenal, and definitely happy to learn anything I can about marketing in this realm. I appreciate your time spent giving me insight!

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Also thanks for taking the time to write it out Mike! I don't know almost anything about video editing, but I know it probably should be a tool in my arsenal, and definitely happy to learn anything I can about marketing in this realm. I appreciate your time spent giving me insight!
Thank you Erik I’m glad you like it!

I have a few other threads relating to social media under the marketing section of the forum (or in my signature)

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

all BS.

Real Life Example:
Alex Hormozi.

-

1. a hook
3. a story
7. subtitles
9. Relevant editing

RELEVANT EDITING

Anyways...

What DOES work however, that social media gurus don't really mention much.. Is intentionally putting all of those short videos into as many places as possible for people to see them. (forums, groups, other social media platforms, multiple accounts on social media)

Hope this is valuable

Mike
Thanks you for this post.

hobbsie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2021

all BS.

Real Life Example:
Alex Hormozi.

-

1. a hook
3. a story
7. subtitles
9. Relevant editing

RELEVANT EDITING

Anyways...

Hope this is valuable

Mike

Plus, the algorithm keeps changing, so the goal posts are always on the move.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.