The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So Simple... It's Beautiful

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Enough back and forth. Go build your heat box the best way you can. Even if it's a POS at least you have something to use and learn from so the next one won't be a POS. I had to make a bunch of proto types of my product until I got it the way I wanted it. Right now you are on the fastlane of success but all you are doing is standing around. You need to move forward. Go build your crap box and new ideas on how to make it better will come. Products don't usually look the way we envision them in the end.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't know what you are trying to build exactly. But, you need to get good at this!!!! You cannot count on anyone else to design your product for you. You first make it work. Try a number of different configurations and methods until you are comfortable with the process.

I spent many years working with test equipment in an R&D facility. My job was in product design and test. I made prototypes on a regular basis. Find the places that have materials that you can use. As bio said, leverage off of what is out there.

You sound like frustration is starting to set in. Don't let it. You are moving forward in your journey. Enjoy the challenges!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I want to skip the crude version and build / buy something that I would pass out to a select few for trial and error and start to refine based on that feedback

Don't skip prototypes, thats why you are having trouble creating the beta version

I'm building some protos right now for some things I am trying to source/manufacture. The purpose of my prototyping is to narrow the endless options down into some reasonable ones I can see.

Its the difference between thinking you'll remember a phone number in your head and writing it down.

If you don't prototype you have nothing to work with, its all just guesses and "leave it to the pros", or going on dragons den and saying you need them to hold your hand to even do anything.
Proto
Beta testing
Preproduction (testing and hopefully sales)
Production

Assuming you can make a workin model is wantreprenuer

Last edited:

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Damn - I've got a very thick skull! Re-read a lot of the advice / feedback and - duh - YES, I need to create a proto. I don't know why it took soooo long to sink in. The advice I received was from some very heavy hitters (and others as well) and I was too busy trying to prove my point of view vs. listening. Sometimes, I just need to STFU and listen and do!

I've got 2 different prototypes I need to develop. 1st is the heat resistant coating on the clips.There is a product I can buy cheaply at Walmart that should perform the intended heating of the clips. I will purchase it this weekend. As I try different materials on the end of the clips to verify adhesion, heat resistance, etc.., I will start the work on the heat box proto.

Thanks EVERYONE - I got a lot out of this thread.

Christos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Jan 21, 2014
Germany
Good luck and keep us informed !

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Yes ....Good luck with your project. We are all looking forward with interest to the onward and upward Klaw. ............."Your level of success, will rarely exceed your level of personal development , because success is something you attract by the person you become........Jim Rohn ( excert from " The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod)

G

GuestUser113

I was thinking you could something like a zif socket soldered onto a electric heating pad. Then build your casing around that. That zif socket is 40 pins. Open the lid and slide those clips in. Attach a temperature gauge on in too.

Attachments

• 383-00.jpg
    383-00.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 383-03.jpg
    383-03.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 1481_LRG_grande.jpg
    1481_LRG_grande.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Quick update. We are 90% sure we are going the licensing route. I purchased about $80 of materials to play around with prototypes. Kitchenaid will probably be our first attempt for an agreement. Basically, we are just combining 2 products that currently don't co-exist with each other. Very practical and logical.

I've got the "heat box" and several different matl's (velvet, velcro, leather, felt, and a few others)to test on the end of the clips. While we are testing the matl's for adhesion to the clips and their heat resistance to the customer touch, I will re-read @StephenKey simple idea and start on our sell sheet. I will keep you posted and feel free to offer further advice / feedback. Thanks again.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
See above. After doing some research, maybe going to Kitchenaid isn't the best choice. It seems our chances of getting an agreement are better with mid-tier manufacturers. I went to amazon and got a list of about 25 companies by reviewing the "by (name)" after the title of the product. After I got through the brands I recognized there were several I never heard of. I'm guessing most of these "companies" were just distributors.

Is there a better way to search for mid level manufacturers? Thanks for the help and sorry if this seems like a stupid a$$ question.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
please please please someone tell me why paperclips need to be heated. i have been trying to figure it out for days now... it's messing with me.

from what i can surmise from google, it seems the only use for heating paperclips is to fight boredom. WHY is this a serious business idea????? im not joking please tell me.

paperclip heating.PNG

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
please please please someone tell me why paperclips need to be heated. i have been trying to figure it out for days now... it's messing with me.

from what i can surmise from google, it seems the only use for heating paperclips is to fight boredom. WHY is this a serious business idea????? im not joking please tell me.

View attachment 8082
Dude - it's not about paper clips. Just about heating up something similar to paper clips.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Dude - it's not about paper clips. Just about heating up something similar to paper clips.

where is the business application and hence why everyone is giving serious idea feedback? im really confused. thanks

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
where is the business application and hence why everyone is giving serious idea feedback? im really confused. thanks

Let it go. If KLaw wanted you to know he would have shared it. You have more important things to concern yourself with.

YGqICNE.jpg

Rfearn

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 25, 2014
What if you made the heat box with a magnetic removable lid? Then the clips attach to the magnet for heating and are easily removed after? Obviously, I have no earthly idea what you are actually trying to do so that may not be an option.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I'm still moving forward on this - slowly but still moving. Currently, researching ceramic coating applications to apply to the clips.

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
*Reads the first page of this thread*
*Tries to endure all the confusion and cognitive dissonance, hoping that by page 5 this all will start to make sense*
*Skips straight to Page 5*
*Tries to eat his own face off*

I call shenanigans hehe. But it generated curiosity, apparently. Way to go, Marketing-Expert - gonna take some notes here! ;P

If anyone ever figures out what this is all about (assuming this is not just some medium-level trolling) shoot me a message. I'm in serious danger of punching a wall or something. In a friendly way, of course. Like 180 km/h-friendly. Just Kidding.

Good Luck with your prototypes and keep us uh... updated ;P

C.S. Abbink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 13, 2014
I bet the paperclips are actually hairclips, and after putting hot hairclips on your hair, all the hairs get fused together so you don't need more hairclips. Kinda kills its own market bro.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I bet the paperclips are actually hairclips, and after putting hot hairclips on your hair, all the hairs get fused together so you don't need more hairclips. Kinda kills its own market bro.
Yep - you are right - good call. Guess I will just quit working on the prototypes, close up shop, and call it a day - NOT. Nice try though:cookoo:

C.S. Abbink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 13, 2014
Hehe was a good guess right. Anyway, check out electric shisha coals. Might be what you are looking for.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
It's all good. I got the heating source completed. Gotta figure a cheap way for the clips to retain the heat longer. We are getting close though.

C.S. Abbink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 13, 2014
It's all good. I got the heating source completed. Gotta figure a cheap way for the clips to retain the heat longer. We are getting close though.
Paperclips made of lithium insulated with aerogel.

Edit: sorry missed the remark it had to be cheap.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Gotta figure a cheap way for the clips to retain the heat longer. We are getting close though.

Any update?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
currently working with a local manufacturer to develop the material. we were going to use macor but it's too heavy and too expensive. my goal is to do a pilot run in two weeks. QUOTE="MJ DeMarco, post: 408545, member: 1"]Any update?[/QUOTE]

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
If you don't tell me what you're doing RIGHT NOW, lets just say, there will be one less member on this forum. (Hint: name starts with K ends with W).

Anyhow, I've been following this thread for a while, can't wait for the end result ;)

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If you don't tell me what you're doing RIGHT NOW, lets just say, there will be one less member on this forum. (Hint: name starts with K ends with W).

Anyhow, I've been following this thread for a while, can't wait for the end result ;)
Ehhh you can do that?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Quick update. I've got a 3d rendering of my product done to add to my sell sheet. Next up is to create a 3d rendering of the actual application. It's actually pretty thrilling to see my idea come to life. I've got a ton of bullet points for the sell sheet (benefits, testimonials, and features) but need to work on the copy. Thanks to all of you that have been helping me out!

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
Ok im confused at what your product is/is going to be. You want an oven to heat paperclips to 375deg. IS THE OVEN YOUR PRODUCT? OR IS THE PRODUCT A HEATED PAPERCLIP IN WHICH YOU WILL DO SOMETHING WITH AFTERWARDS?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.