The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

Coordin

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Nov 30, 2021
Not sure if this is the right forum section for this post, but let me know and I'll move it to the appropriate section.

Hello good folks of FLF!

A couple months ago I posted about my learning about the FI community and entrepreneurship and how scared I was to get started. Well, I think I've figured it out. At least the getting started part. For the last two months I've been reading, re-reading, practicing, creating new habits, realizing where I am in life, and getting jazzed about creating something with my own mind and abilities. Generally most of this would fall under the action faking category. However, I didn't know what was happening in my life or why I was going about the routine that had befallen me. While there's still some things to unpack for me in that category specifically, I'm more confident in my abilities than ever before. I was just following the edicts of society, my parents (even though, oddly enough, they're pretty fast lane themselves), and friends without putting much thought into how I want to live this life.

For some background: I have worked on the technical side of the live entertainment world ever since I learned to shave the hair on my chin (which I promptly gave up on and grew a beard). While I have learned lots of practical and technical skills, I realize that the reason I initially got into live events was to bring joy and inspiration to others. That's a virtuous goal for a teenager, go me. However! It doesn't pay. I'm out of college (with no loans, thanks parents) and living on my own. I have just enough income with 3 part time jobs to support myself. That's ludicrous! I should be rolling in dough right now with a decade of professional experience and my tendency towards human decency. Alas, over the last 6 months, I have broken even between my expenses and income. Granted, I could definitely do better and spend a little less frivolously. I digress.

On my last post, I complained about having no energy or time after work. Well, upon some exploration that appeared to be a straight up lie (not at the time, but looking back it appears like one). It only took implementing a single rule in my apartment to allow me to make progress on my other endeavors. That rule? Do not turn on the T.V. until 8pm, including youtube unless it's for a tutorial/class (like looking up how to fix something, or learning a specific skill). Now, I know that most of the entrepreneurship community is against TV and other forms of "useless" entertainment. And I'm not going to argue against that. Only, that a full ban would not work in my favor. I would keep telling myself "don't, don't, don't", only to break the rule and get that dopamine hit that I've been waiting for. Instead, I have a reward for working hard and "hustling" in the evening after work. I've also discovered that I can then relax more post-8pm as well. I no longer stress about a lack of progress, and can put all my energy into being present with the entertainment I'm consuming or the people I'm hanging out with.

As a side-ish note, my FTE has occurred. In the last couple days, with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, it hit me that 1. this could all be over tomorrow 2. how lucky I am to have been born in the USA, and 3. that I need to start taking control of my life before (if) shit hits the fan. I know two boys who live(d?) in Ukraine, luckily they made it out yesterday and are headed back to the US (they're US citizens). Hearing the stories of the hell they endured opened my eyes just a bit more to how we need as much control over our lives as possible. Because, who knows what's going to happen tomorrow? I sure don't.

All that being said, I now have a plan. For a reason only the divine know, the 1/5/10 year plan from The Rat Race Escape really caused me to start thinking about my future. I realized I didn't have a plan, only a vague idea of what I wanted out of life. Therefore, I present to you my 1/5 plan. I don't have a ten year plan currently, because I know it will change and 10 years is (a little less than) half the life I've lived already. While I could make a 10 year plan, it would end up being broad strokes (family, security, etc). That, and, my five-year goal is already lofty enough.
One:
  • Make money with a side-hustle, preferably online. (I've read @Fox 's book on the subject of Web Design, and have a background in computer science and art so I think it would be a good fit.) Also, the idea of web design being a crash course in business is exactly what I'm in need of #technicallyanartmajor.
  • Raise my weight to a healthy 153lbs. I'm a weakling. Even though my jobs are very physical I'm riddled with back problems, knee issues, and endure the occasional "you need to eat more!" from grandma.
Five:
  • Have started a profitable cents business. I have some ideas and always have the 3 problems for 30 days method to acquire more (and I'll be keeping an eye out for openings). I would prefer to have a bit more of a business sense (hence web design side hustle) and be more financially solvent before taking definitive action on this. I know that's counter to some advice, but I'm really in the dark business-wise so I'd like to get my feet wet and try a few things out)
  • Be (or close to being) financially independent. Now, these two first ones are the "lofty" goals I mentioned earlier. I know they are possible, however it's a tight timeline. This specific goal is slightly dependent on how my expenses end up from potential lifestyle creep (as much as I'm going to try and avoid that!). As of current, using the 4% rule, I would only need to save $420,000 total to be financially independent. That's a big number, but reachable. However, I don't expect my expenses to stay at a meager 17k a year, because honestly, it's a bit depressing. Therefore, my "FI number" will be dependent on my situation at the time.
The following two are just so that I'm out in the world having some fun, and not held up in a cave for the next 5 years.
  • See a Formula One Race in Europe. I've been enjoying watching F1 for 5 years now, and while it's not the typical sport of choice for most people, if I hit a big milestone I'll definitely be rewarding myself with this trip (provided it doesn't F*ck up my numbers ;) ).
  • New Zealand. Island, country, fairly easy work/holiday visa. I was doing some research on countries it's easiest to visit long term if you're from the US of A and it turns out New Zealand has a work/holiday visa for (I think) 6 months if you're under the age of 35 and have x amount saved/able to spend. Of course, pending the global pandemic situation. This option has appealed to me because I believe it would be great to live somewhere (even for a short time) out of the USA bubble and experience the world from another perspective. This isn't the only place I want to visit and live, but it seems the most accessible and gorgeous.
Outside of planning, actual action has taken place as well. I've started a blog (I know, it so violates the commandment of entry!) to chronicle my misadventures, and share lessons that I've discovered that will hopefully help others in a similar situation. I've also been posting graphic design projects/practice on social media in preparation to create a personal/portfolio website that I can use for showing web design clients that I have the technical know-how. Neither of which I will link here, but if you're curious please message me!

For now, I'm going to keep working my job, for a few reasons. The first is that I'm under contract until the end of the school year and how would that look if I start out my business career my breaking a contract? It's also only a few months, so I have some runway to rectify the Second reason, I don't have another source of income yet. Third, I do enjoy my job, overall. It has its ups and downs, but I like what I'm doing and I'm helping teach students a craft that I love. It just doesn't pay. And doesn't provide the freedom that I desire. Seriously, I could see myself becoming financially free and coming back to this trade. With less of a financial burden on the craft, all it would become is pure enjoyment. For the love of it.

Thank you for reading this entire narcissistic (jk, partially) rant and life update! I really appreciate the community that has been built here and look forward to learning more from all of you!

Special thanks to @MJ DeMarco for his books, wisdom, and being impressively active on this forum. @Fox for his book on web design and helping me realize its use as a stepping stone to other business. @Johnny boy for his recommended reading on my last post that, while I don't agree with all the viewpoints presented, definitely lit a fire under my a$$. Cheers to you all!

Now, it's TV time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon05554

Not sure if this is the right forum section for this post, but let me know and I'll move it to the appropriate section.

Hello good folks of FLF!

A couple months ago I posted about my learning about the FI community and entrepreneurship and how scared I was to get started. Well, I think I've figured it out. At least the getting started part. For the last two months I've been reading, re-reading, practicing, creating new habits, realizing where I am in life, and getting jazzed about creating something with my own mind and abilities. Generally most of this would fall under the action faking category. However, I didn't know what was happening in my life or why I was going about the routine that had befallen me. While there's still some things to unpack for me in that category specifically, I'm more confident in my abilities than ever before. I was just following the edicts of society, my parents (even though, oddly enough, they're pretty fast lane themselves), and friends without putting much thought into how I want to live this life.

For some background: I have worked on the technical side of the live entertainment world ever since I learned to shave the hair on my chin (which I promptly gave up on and grew a beard). While I have learned lots of practical and technical skills, I realize that the reason I initially got into live events was to bring joy and inspiration to others. That's a virtuous goal for a teenager, go me. However! It doesn't pay. I'm out of college (with no loans, thanks parents) and living on my own. I have just enough income with 3 part time jobs to support myself. That's ludicrous! I should be rolling in dough right now with a decade of professional experience and my tendency towards human decency. Alas, over the last 6 months, I have broken even between my expenses and income. Granted, I could definitely do better and spend a little less frivolously. I digress.

On my last post, I complained about having no energy or time after work. Well, upon some exploration that appeared to be a straight up lie (not at the time, but looking back it appears like one). It only took implementing a single rule in my apartment to allow me to make progress on my other endeavors. That rule? Do not turn on the T.V. until 8pm, including youtube unless it's for a tutorial/class (like looking up how to fix something, or learning a specific skill). Now, I know that most of the entrepreneurship community is against TV and other forms of "useless" entertainment. And I'm not going to argue against that. Only, that a full ban would not work in my favor. I would keep telling myself "don't, don't, don't", only to break the rule and get that dopamine hit that I've been waiting for. Instead, I have a reward for working hard and "hustling" in the evening after work. I've also discovered that I can then relax more post-8pm as well. I no longer stress about a lack of progress, and can put all my energy into being present with the entertainment I'm consuming or the people I'm hanging out with.

As a side-ish note, my FTE has occurred. In the last couple days, with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, it hit me that 1. this could all be over tomorrow 2. how lucky I am to have been born in the USA, and 3. that I need to start taking control of my life before (if) shit hits the fan. I know two boys who live(d?) in Ukraine, luckily they made it out yesterday and are headed back to the US (they're US citizens). Hearing the stories of the hell they endured opened my eyes just a bit more to how we need as much control over our lives as possible. Because, who knows what's going to happen tomorrow? I sure don't.

All that being said, I now have a plan. For a reason only the divine know, the 1/5/10 year plan from The Rat Race Escape really caused me to start thinking about my future. I realized I didn't have a plan, only a vague idea of what I wanted out of life. Therefore, I present to you my 1/5 plan. I don't have a ten year plan currently, because I know it will change and 10 years is (a little less than) half the life I've lived already. While I could make a 10 year plan, it would end up being broad strokes (family, security, etc). That, and, my five-year goal is already lofty enough.
One:
  • Make money with a side-hustle, preferably online. (I've read @Fox 's book on the subject of Web Design, and have a background in computer science and art so I think it would be a good fit.) Also, the idea of web design being a crash course in business is exactly what I'm in need of #technicallyanartmajor.
  • Raise my weight to a healthy 153lbs. I'm a weakling. Even though my jobs are very physical I'm riddled with back problems, knee issues, and endure the occasional "you need to eat more!" from grandma.
Five:
  • Have started a profitable cents business. I have some ideas and always have the 3 problems for 30 days method to acquire more (and I'll be keeping an eye out for openings). I would prefer to have a bit more of a business sense (hence web design side hustle) and be more financially solvent before taking definitive action on this. I know that's counter to some advice, but I'm really in the dark business-wise so I'd like to get my feet wet and try a few things out)
  • Be (or close to being) financially independent. Now, these two first ones are the "lofty" goals I mentioned earlier. I know they are possible, however it's a tight timeline. This specific goal is slightly dependent on how my expenses end up from potential lifestyle creep (as much as I'm going to try and avoid that!). As of current, using the 4% rule, I would only need to save $420,000 total to be financially independent. That's a big number, but reachable. However, I don't expect my expenses to stay at a meager 17k a year, because honestly, it's a bit depressing. Therefore, my "FI number" will be dependent on my situation at the time.
The following two are just so that I'm out in the world having some fun, and not held up in a cave for the next 5 years.
  • See a Formula One Race in Europe. I've been enjoying watching F1 for 5 years now, and while it's not the typical sport of choice for most people, if I hit a big milestone I'll definitely be rewarding myself with this trip (provided it doesn't f*ck up my numbers ;) ).
  • New Zealand. Island, country, fairly easy work/holiday visa. I was doing some research on countries it's easiest to visit long term if you're from the US of A and it turns out New Zealand has a work/holiday visa for (I think) 6 months if you're under the age of 35 and have x amount saved/able to spend. Of course, pending the global pandemic situation. This option has appealed to me because I believe it would be great to live somewhere (even for a short time) out of the USA bubble and experience the world from another perspective. This isn't the only place I want to visit and live, but it seems the most accessible and gorgeous.
Outside of planning, actual action has taken place as well. I've started a blog (I know, it so violates the commandment of entry!) to chronicle my misadventures, and share lessons that I've discovered that will hopefully help others in a similar situation. I've also been posting graphic design projects/practice on social media in preparation to create a personal/portfolio website that I can use for showing web design clients that I have the technical know-how. Neither of which I will link here, but if you're curious please message me!

For now, I'm going to keep working my job, for a few reasons. The first is that I'm under contract until the end of the school year and how would that look if I start out my business career my breaking a contract? It's also only a few months, so I have some runway to rectify the Second reason, I don't have another source of income yet. Third, I do enjoy my job, overall. It has its ups and downs, but I like what I'm doing and I'm helping teach students a craft that I love. It just doesn't pay. And doesn't provide the freedom that I desire. Seriously, I could see myself becoming financially free and coming back to this trade. With less of a financial burden on the craft, all it would become is pure enjoyment. For the love of it.

Thank you for reading this entire narcissistic (jk, partially) rant and life update! I really appreciate the community that has been built here and look forward to learning more from all of you!

Special thanks to @MJ DeMarco for his books, wisdom, and being impressively active on this forum. @Fox for his book on web design and helping me realize its use as a stepping stone to other business. @Johnny boy for his recommended reading on my last post that, while I don't agree with all the viewpoints presented, definitely lit a fire under my a$$. Cheers to you all!

Now, it's TV time.
Hey, thanks for the update on your situation. I like the optimism and goal breakdown. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to entrepreneurial plans. I hope the pros will evaluate you appropriately.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
thanks for the update on your situation. I like the optimism and goal breakdown
I'll second that, keep it up.

As of current, using the 4% rule, I would only need to save $420,000 total to be financially independent. That's a big number, but reachable. However, I don't expect my expenses to stay at a meager 17k a year, because honestly, it's a bit depressing. Therefore, my "FI number" will be dependent on my situation at the time.
You are correct your expenses will not stay at 17K, but once you have a CENTS business running that can achieve the $420K , as you plan for, you will find it will easily go beyond that figure.

All the best with your progress.

Coordin

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Nov 30, 2021
I just realized a big goal I have for my ten-year plan! To acquire my private pilot's license. Ever since I was a kid I loved the idea of flying, 8 year old me would've definitely wanted to become a pilot or NHL player, and well, only one of those is even remotely realistic with my current athletic ability.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

farouqali

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 16, 2021
I just realized a big goal I have for my ten-year plan! To acquire my private pilot's license. Ever since I was a kid I loved the idea of flying, 8 year old me would've definitely wanted to become a pilot or NHL player, and well, only one of those is even remotely realistic with my current athletic ability.
Great !
with time you will realize a thing or two in between what you wish to do, a problem you can fix, a need. and from there you can make it a business.
This option has appealed to me because I believe it would be great to live somewhere (even for a short time) out of the USA bubble and experience the world from another perspective.
this will be good for you, Go for it.

BilingualKiwi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 5, 2021
@Goose36

I've been living in NZ my entire life so feel free to reach out in regards to New Zealand.

Coordin

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Nov 30, 2021

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.