The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sitting 5 hours = Smoking 24 cigarettes

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I smell a lot of snake oil with this guy.

Unfortunately medicine has a lot of self proclaimed gurus. Like many gurus they are just people that get a mic to talk, and start spewing whatever they want.

Is some of his advice sound? Yes

Is some of his advice just personal opinion. Absolutely. In fact a lot of it is.

One example of taking something to a completely illogical conclusion.

We know a sedentary lifestyle is harmful, that it leads to many problems.

But what is a sedentary lifestyle. It's someone who gets little to no exercise. ever.

So how does he make the mental leap to claim sitting for 5 hours a day is as bad as smoking a pack of cigs?

But let me back up for 2 seconds. Even if this were true. How would you prove it? The answer is that is is nearly impossible to prove this.

To do it you would need very very large numbers of people. 3 groups of people to be exact. How large. probably 10's of thousands in each group.

Each group would need to start out as similar as possible, with one difference between the groups. The control group had jobs that they were very active. moving all the time. The second group was very active moving all the time but smoked 24 cigs a day. the third group was in their butt for 5 hours a day but did not smoke, and then was equally active as the other two groups for the remainder of the day.

Now follow these groups for 15-30 years and record the differences in their health.

Chances are very few of these people would maintain the same lifestyle the entire time which complicates your study.

Ok, so what's my point!!

Simple. Just because this guy is a physician does not give him a crystal ball to know what good and bad is.

He is speculating based on things he read, and CHOSE to believe. Or even just thought sounded good, do he writes them as gospel.

In fact as a trained physician, reading his advice, it makes me wonder if what he is promoting has more to do with pushing his company and products than improving health. That's the case with almost all gurus.

Look at the basic formula, i'll call it the guru formula.

1). The establishment has it wrong.

2) I have discovered some simple things you can do that will change your life. Almost everyone else is an idiot, but i'm a genius and figured the whole thing out all by myself. Even though tens of thousands of people have been studying this for years, they got it all wrong.

3) make some outlandish claims comparing things that make a mental impact. i.e. we have all seen the terrible effects of smoking. compare that to sitting.

4). Simply buy my book or product and you will learn everything you need to know. you can trust me

Why do so many people buy into it?

Because we are all scared at some level. We want to feel in control. And we love that we are told we can gain that control by doing small things that are controllable by us.

So, this is simply using fear and uncertainty to market your product or services. Using one of the most powerful human motivators for profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
No more than 1 hours? Human body has IMMENSE capacity for work. Our bodies were built to work. This is totally false.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.