The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Side hustle to $5k/Month:Watch Me Go All In Content Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
You know that light-bulb "aha!" moment when something inside you just "clicks"?

1569678276410.png

A powerful idea or message penetrates you with brutally honest, but beneficial and life-altering truths?

Well I recently finished reading "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins, and it jolted my mind into gear. It made me realise that:

Sheltering under the warm sphere of my cosy comfort zone has weakened my mind.

It has insidiously threatened my dreams of financial independence.

I stopped pitching clients, stopped working on my craft, and stopped physically training. Basically, personal progress has come to a screeching halt. And after receiving a regular paycheck for the last 3 years, I've taken my foot off the gas and become soft. This post marks a line in the sand, and is long overdue...

It's time to burst the bubble and break the harmful habits holding me back.

It's time to attack my goals with a different mindset. Do or die.

Time to get hard (in the completely metaphorical sense of course).

My main goal is:

Earn $5k/month from my freelance writing/content marketing business by 30th March 2020. I mainly write for digital marketing software providers, tech, and B2B SaaS companies. They pay well, I enjoy the topics, and I have decent testimonials from these clients. So that's who I'll be focusing on for the meanwhile.

This is definitely achievable, content marketing is becoming a must-have for loads of B2B and B2C businesses. Last week I had a high-profile (10M+revenue) B2B SaaS client tell me 80-90% of their leads come from the content they produce on their blog.

I currently have 2 active clients, and 2 potential clients that I'm negotiating with.

One pays $300-$500/article (long-form), the other pays $130(short-from). To acquire new clients, I'll be focusing on 2 activities:

1. Guest posting and featuring on big industry blogs.
I've been featured on Unbounce, Kissmetrics and other industry sites. While they served as great credibility boosters, and gave my site some SEO juice, I only eked out 1-2 clients from a TON of work. I'll now be experimenting with reaching a different audience to attract more leads.

2. Cold-emailing and job boards.
Simple daily pitching that is tracked in a spreadsheet. I recently completed Jon Morrow's Content Marketing Certification (recently shot up to $2k, which is a little pricey, but worth it), where leads are sometimes emailed through to us graduates.

In the next post, I'll share the mistakes I made and what I've learnt.

Thank you for reading :)

"In sports today, there is a lot of talk about 'load management'. A lot of us apply that same principle to our personal, everyday lives. When you do that, you're going to find yourself right at normal."

Onwards,

Hassan,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Ethan S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 27, 2019
Love these kinds of posts! Super inspiring to see you putting yourself out there.

Plus I think you have the skills and abilities to get there already!

I'm new to the forum (been lurking) but have a content/copywriting business doing about $4k right now..

Would be happy to connect and keep each other accountable/bounce ideas off.. If you're interested!

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
You know that light-bulb "aha!" moment when something inside you just "clicks"?

View attachment 27707

A powerful idea or message penetrates you with brutally honest, but beneficial and life-altering truths?

Well I recently finished reading "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins, and it jolted my mind into gear. It made me realise that:

Sheltering under the warm sphere of my cosy comfort zone has weakened my mind.

It has insidiously threatened my dreams of financial independence.

I stopped pitching clients, stopped working on my craft, and stopped physically training. Basically, personal progress has come to a screeching halt. And after receiving a regular paycheck for the last 3 years, I've taken my foot off the gas and become soft. This post marks a line in the sand, and is long overdue...

It's time to burst the bubble and break the harmful habits holding me back.

It's time to attack my goals with a different mindset. Do or die.

Time to get hard (in the completely metaphorical sense of course).

My main goal is:

Earn $5k/month from my freelance writing/content marketing business by 30th March 2020. I mainly write for digital marketing software providers, tech, and B2B SaaS companies. They pay well, I enjoy the topics, and I have decent testimonials from these clients. So that's who I'll be focusing on for the meanwhile.

This is definitely achievable, content marketing is becoming a must-have for loads of B2B and B2C businesses. Last week I had a high-profile (10M+revenue) B2B SaaS client tell me 80-90% of their leads come from the content they produce on their blog.

I currently have 2 active clients, and 2 potential clients that I'm negotiating with.

One pays $300-$500/article (long-form), the other pays $130(short-from). To acquire new clients, I'll be focusing on 2 activities:

1. Guest posting and featuring on big industry blogs.
I've been featured on Unbounce, Kissmetrics and other industry sites. While they served as great credibility boosters, and gave my site some SEO juice, I only eked out 1-2 clients from a TON of work. I'll now be experimenting with reaching a different audience to attract more leads.

2. Cold-emailing and job boards.
Simple daily pitching that is tracked in a spreadsheet. I recently completed Jon Morrow's Content Marketing Certification (recently shot up to $2k, which is a little pricey, but worth it), where leads are sometimes emailed through to us graduates.

In the next post, I'll share the mistakes I made and what I've learnt.

Thank you for reading :)

"In sports today, there is a lot of talk about 'load management'. A lot of us apply that same principle to our personal, everyday lives. When you do that, you're going to find yourself right at normal."

Onwards,

Hassan,
Nice post Hassan. And you have a good portfolio. On your page, towards the end in certifications you missed a t in SmartBlogger.

I will keep you in mind if my clients are looking for content writers. All the best.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Love these kinds of posts! Super inspiring to see you putting yourself out there.

Plus I think you have the skills and abilities to get there already!

I'm new to the forum (been lurking) but have a content/copywriting business doing about $4k right now..

Would be happy to connect and keep each other accountable/bounce ideas off.. If you're interested!

Welcome Ethan!

That’s great stuff, how long have you been in the game? And is it just me, or is copywriting a lot harder to get regular clients?

Add me on Facebook and we can chat there:

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Glad I clicked over to your portfolio/testimonials...much like here one click leads to many and I enjoyed it.

I thought it was going to be more techy but really more I.M. related and took a few notes along the way.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
I really didn't want to write this...

I still don't.

So why am I hesitant to post?

I'm embarrassed.

It feels great to receive kind messages like this:

But confronting failure is ugly and uncomfortable. Especially when we are responsible. While mulling over the points in my head for this thread, I realized:

I've self-sabotaged my fair share of BIG opportunities with great clients in my early years.

I'm talking about the type of client that is pushing the boundaries on industry practices, ranking high on SERPS, and developing real momentum.

I burned many bridges to due to being depressed/angry at myself. I don't know if this trickled into my work, but it definitely rared its ugly head in my customer service and attitude. And boy did it cost me...

To say I shot myself in the foot is an understatement, I more or less blasted an RPG between my feet and blew my chances of success to smithereens.

It's not a nice feeling to expose these mistakes, and I'd be in a much better position now if I avoided them. So here they are:

1. Being Emotional/ Not Thinking Long-term When Dealing With Clients

I randomly clicked on a very old post in Google docs, the comments on a post that I authored shocked me. An ex-client asked for edits; I told him to go do them himself or pay me more!

I was in a bad place at the time, but that is no excuse. I'm deeply ashamed of this and have apologized.

There was a better way of going about this.

2. Targeting the Wrong Audience

2014, after saving money working flipping burgers for a year, I completed Jon Morrow's Guest Blogging Course -- arguably the most reputable and recognized program on the topic.

I thought I'd come out swinging, so I published a beefy 3000 word post. After gaining confidence from this post, I cranked it up a notch. Working my way to into sites like Kissmetrics, Problogger, Unbounce, Shopify and Conversion XL.

After all this work, I only eked out 2 small clients who wanted landing page copy. They loved my work, but didn't have anything consistent. After 30+ posts, as far as I was concerned, guest posting was garbage and wouldn't get me results.

Until out of sheer frustration, I confronted a popular freelancer who attributed all his success to writing guest posts for big sites. "What's he doing that I'm not?"

Either I was doing something wrong, or everyone is exaggerating their results. This interaction slapped me with a rudimentary mistake I made:

I was essentially writing about marketing to marketers, not business owners who are so busy they need to employ marketers.

What an idiot! DOH!

3. Always Be Closing (pitching in my case)

The phrase has struck my eardrums more times than I remember, but I still didn't adhere to the principle.

I would often oscillate between periods of feast and famine.

Either being overwhelmed with work or literally spending half of my time looking for more business. By habitually pitching and feeding leads into the pipeline, this could've been easily avoided.

Anyways, thanks for reading guys.

Haych,

What embarrassing mistakes have you made that taught you something?

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
It's been a pretty busy few weeks...

I've made great progress with securing 2 new enterprise-level clients paying a minimum of $400/post. After putting serious work into the posts and spending all my free time on them, receiving the below feedback slapped a big grin on my face:

A couple of more clients like this and I'm on my way to hitting that goal.

Getting back to pitching!

Haych

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
It's been a pretty busy few weeks...

I've made great progress with securing 2 new enterprise-level clients paying a minimum of $400/post. After putting serious work into the posts and spending all my free time on them, receiving the below feedback slapped a big grin on my face:

View attachment 28161

View attachment 28162

A couple of more clients like this and I'm on my way to hitting that goal.

Getting back to pitching!

Haych
Glad to see you gaining traction :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!