The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sick & tired of being fed up & tired of being treated like a mule

Aleph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 1, 2018
Belgium calling.

Found this forum and have been browsing for the last few days. As this is a SOLID group of people, I am humbled you'll have me.

So here's a bit bout me.

For the last 2 years, I've been unemployed. I've been training through the unemployment agency to became a web developer. Which I thought was grand! It was one my bucket list for a long time, and -by that point having read TFLM- I was envisioning myself going through the training grinding,
afterwards scoring a job (not necessarily raking in big, but it wouldn't hurt) where I could develop myself further under careful management etc etc.
It was just going to be amazing!

Until it dawned that it wasn't.
After 10 months and well over a 100 applications sent out on specific job offers, next to the spontaneous offering of my services to web development agencies, I had 2 interviews.
Most businesses didn't respond. And if they did, they were happy to let me know that I lacked a degree or experience or both. Gotta love that one, except if it's turning jaded.

So now I am still looking to build my own business. Still desiring to live in nicer climates, especially with my winter blues on its way. Still developing myself, coloring within the "safety" of the mowing field. Just way down of the cash and coming up to 36.

I've gone through books and Udemy courses and facebook groups etc. I feel I've got the basics down, but I don't know if I got what it takes to really satisfy clients yet. Which I will not pick up in this vacuum.

I've been looking around at the options I've got to set up shop cheaply, so I can start taking on clients, even for free or at cost to start. But I do need the business side of things set up so at least the gov't won't penalize me for carving my own way in the blood and the mud and the gore.

I'll make another thread for the business set up I have in mind, as it is rather elaborate. Setting up the first part and building it from there will be a daunting task, something I've never done before. But it's clear as day that I can't keep on "hoping" for a job in the field and I'll just have to fast track to the end in mind. With all the cuts and bruises on the way :D
In the meantime, I look forward to meeting more of you over here at the forum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
go get a job, 2 years unemployed?? wtf

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Belgium calling.

Found this forum and have been browsing for the last few days. As this is a SOLID group of people, I am humbled you'll have me.

So here's a bit bout me.

For the last 2 years, I've been unemployed. I've been training through the unemployment agency to became a web developer. Which I thought was grand! It was one my bucket list for a long time, and -by that point having read TFLM- I was envisioning myself going through the training grinding,
afterwards scoring a job (not necessarily raking in big, but it wouldn't hurt) where I could develop myself further under careful management etc etc.
It was just going to be amazing!

Until it dawned that it wasn't.
After 10 months and well over a 100 applications sent out on specific job offers, next to the spontaneous offering of my services to web development agencies, I had 2 interviews.
Most businesses didn't respond. And if they did, they were happy to let me know that I lacked a degree or experience or both. Gotta love that one, except if it's turning jaded.

So now I am still looking to build my own business. Still desiring to live in nicer climates, especially with my winter blues on its way. Still developing myself, coloring within the "safety" of the mowing field. Just way down of the cash and coming up to 36.

I've gone through books and Udemy courses and facebook groups etc. I feel I've got the basics down, but I don't know if I got what it takes to really satisfy clients yet. Which I will not pick up in this vacuum.

I've been looking around at the options I've got to set up shop cheaply, so I can start taking on clients, even for free or at cost to start. But I do need the business side of things set up so at least the gov't won't penalize me for carving my own way in the blood and the mud and the gore.

I'll make another thread for the business set up I have in mind, as it is rather elaborate. Setting up the first part and building it from there will be a daunting task, something I've never done before. But it's clear as day that I can't keep on "hoping" for a job in the field and I'll just have to fast track to the end in mind. With all the cuts and bruises on the way :D
In the meantime, I look forward to meeting more of you over here at the forum.
Welcome.

Check out @Fox 's corner:

And this thread:

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Welcome to the Fastlane forum, @Aleph... and thanks for your introduction.

That's quite hard to swallow!

Not to jibe at you or anything of the sort... but, I'm curious, throughout these 10 months, did it ever cross your mind that your approach could at least be a part of the reason for your lack of results?

I literally receive at least one solid job offer every week from American and European companies (no, not from recruiters!)... and I'm not even looking for a job, I don't live in America or Europe, and I don't even consider myself a developer (I just know the basics, but I'm very experienced in WordPress, hosting, sysadmin, and general IT tech support).

(I'm still waiting for that Canadian job offer with Express Entry work permit sponsorship though, but that's another story for another post on another day :playful:)

How and why do these job offers come to me?

I guess a big part of that will be due to my many online writings and contributions to various open source software communities, especially the official WordPress forum... where I'm an active support volunteer (and I've even gotten into trouble a couple of times because... against the WordPress forum rules... I sometimes reach out directly to people who are really suffering, login to their hosting/WordPress sites, and in 10 minutes fix something they've been struggling with for days and weeks-- all for free).

I've seen so many freelancing and Upwork hustling threads here, where people are cold calling, proposal dancing, and banging one door after another for their first and next gigs. That may be a great way to get started, and, frankly, if you're out of work and got bills to pay, do whatever it takes to stay afloat.

But if you want to build a real business with a process and system that generates new leads like clockwork... without having to bang on doors every time for your next job, you're going to have to think and act differently. Invest some time and build authority and (and even some notoriety ) in your niche on your own platform. And that's often going to involve finding ways to give value to the marketplace in one way, shape or form.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
The course was in the 2 years. And the "getting a job" part was what all the mails were for.
What course? What was the course for? What did you do during the course?

How did the mails help with "getting a job"? I personally would at least get a part time job somewhere. Bartenders make quite a bit.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Welcome!

Don't worry about agencies turning you down for lacking credentials. I know someone who studied Web Design and has to intern for a few years. You can literally learn web design on your own in months!!

Businesses want look for programmers with credentials so that they can be code monkeys. They just want people to add the lines of code that senior developers tell them. These code monkeys are easily replaceable, and they spend their lives trying to make it in the rat race.

Build things on your own, get clients on your own, and when you have a portfolio under your belt you'll be hot shit. Everyone will want a piece!

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Welcome!

Don't worry about agencies turning you down for lacking credentials. I know someone who studied Web Design and has to intern for a few years. You can literally learn web design on your own in months!!

Businesses want look for programmers with credentials so that they can be code monkeys. They just want people to add the lines of code that senior developers tell them. These code monkeys are easily replaceable, and they spend their lives trying to make it in the rat race.

Build things on your own, get clients on your own, and when you have a portfolio under your belt you'll be hot sh*t. Everyone will want a piece!
Exactly this. Its what Fox did. Now he's in the fastlane

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Welcome!

But what's with the 'taxation is theft' tag?:rofl:
If its about paying work and education dues, that I can understand...its something like a tax, so to speak.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
You'd just start up as a sole proprietor. Get a good boilerplate contract to use with clients. Get a website. Get some flyers printed.
Then wallow as you find clients are no less picky, but in fact more of a pain to deal with, than employers.

Alternatively: work out specifically why employers aren't hiring you. Be prepared to pack up your tent and move to another city if it could increase your odds of getting work.

And put down the "tax is theft" crap. It's an unavoidable theft, so get on with your life.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I have a similar experience with your job applications. I record every application and employer; I broke 350 apps in less than 5 months and it was still challenging to land interviews. But I readjust and see where I can improve my chances of getting some active income for the time being. Like tweaking my resume to evaluating my answers for interviewing questions. Finally someone gave me a chance and I can now focus on paving the fastlane because my expenses are covered.

"Actually it was 377 applications. These positions were for all levels. Cashier, to representatives, data entry to HR positions, call center etc. Keep in mind I have a degree (degree doesnt mean sh*t to me) also with strong slavery-business experience. Adds up to 14 Interviews and 3 job offers". GL on your journey. it's not about where we are from or where we are at, its about where we are going.

Aleph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 1, 2018
@George Appiah, like your post about the "kid" a lot. I don't even need to "fake" European presence as I'm here already. Just get a minimum of paperwork in order and get going.

Not to jibe at you or anything of the sort... but, I'm curious, throughout these 10 months, did it ever cross your mind that your approach could at least be a part of the reason for your lack of results?
Absolutely. I kept on tweaking my resume and made a personalised cover letter after a while. Even cold called businesses, of which a few were than interested to hire me as an intern if I picked up either languages xyz or framework abc beforehand.
But sending out resumes, even tailored, isn't effective. It is, however, what's expected.

I literally receive at least one solid job offer every week from American and European companies (no, not from recruiters!)... and I'm not even looking for a job, I don't live in America or Europe, and I don't even consider myself a developer
Must've been doing something right, though. If they just come to you. Or your body of work created for all these open source projects. Good one to keep in mind.

Businesses want look for programmers with credentials so that they can be code monkeys.
I didn't know it could get that bad, Ninjakid. I'm not really worried as it was part of the plan. Get a job in a code factory and steal with my eyes. Didn't get to that point, though.

Exactly this. Its what Fox did. Now he's in the fastlane
Talking a page from Fox's book. His results are inspiring!
The course was a nice and solid base of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, CMS and some intro to a couple of frameworks. It was very helpful in the sense that now, I can at least articulate what I need extra ;)

But what's with the 'taxation is theft' tag?:rofl:
Nothing in particular. Just a nice reminder :playful:

You'd just start up as a sole proprietor. Get a good boilerplate contract to use with clients. Get a website. Get some flyers printed.
Then wallow as you find clients are no less picky, but in fact more of a pain to deal with, than employers.
May be the easiest way to get started. Let the business pay for a decent structure afterwards. Web dev risk and investments are minute so that should be safe enough to not have a shell. Thanks for the reminder.

And put down the "tax is theft" crap. It's an unavoidable theft, so get on with your life.
I will get on but also re-evaluate how I can cut it out from time to time. To a certain extent, it may be unavoidable. Just on income, however, they dare to take over 50% in Belgium. But there are other priorities at hand ftm.

@lowtek & @MJ DeMarco, thanks for the welcome. Good to be here!

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Web dev risk and investments are minute so that should be safe enough to not have a shell
Having contracts with limitation of liability clauses in is usually sufficient. In common law jurisdictions they're enforced; don't know much about civil code jurisdictions though. The next level is professional indemnity insurance (usually income-indexed and inexpensive for low-risk professions).

Having an LLC has its place but it's not necessary, especially for a one-man services business. If you want to turn it into something saleable in the future, or want to take on investors, that's a good time to worry about incorporation.

Just on income, however, they dare to take over 50% in Belgium
Think of the other 50% as where you'll save up your ticket out of there from.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
The main purpose of a website is to sell whatever the company is selling.

Make that process as easy as possible for the customer.

If you can make the website look great, its a plus.

Then find a niche and go sell. Phone, email, IG.

Sell, sell, sell.

If you don't have any experience, make some sample websites, do 1-2 websites for free, get testimonials and go sell.

In case you missed it, go and sell.

Aleph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 1, 2018
Hey guys, thanks for the updates. Been off of the forum for a bit feeling under the weather, which gave me time to think.

I've been a bit of a dick, especially the way I set up my other thread. The purpose of business isn't to save tax money but to provide value. So my focus was off and I was even to thick to listen to more experienced people telling me so without exactly spelling it out.
But it was there in between the lines...

That in combo with the reality check I got from my meeting up with a charity tax advisor and a legal advisor intake meeting really drove that point home. They have given me another option to save on taxes but I'm not even gonna bother at this stage.
Sole proprietor it is! Far easier for filing taxes and invoices etc. Pretty solid way to get started, once I could wrap my now deflated head around it :rofl:
I'm not even gonna bitch about the waiting time for all the paperwork to file with the gov't.

Having contracts with limitation of liability clauses in is usually sufficient. In common law jurisdictions they're enforced; don't know much about civil code jurisdictions though. The next level is professional indemnity insurance (usually income-indexed and inexpensive for low-risk professions).
I know what the 1st sentence and the 1st part of the 3rd means. I'll have to look into the translation when my head's cleared of fog.
LLC isn't a way to go. The Belgian alternative doesn't really seem to be worth it for me as I'd rather move out eventually.

Think of the other 50% as where you'll save up your ticket out of there from.
Listening now, @GoGetter24.

In case you missed it, go and sell.
There was something repetitive in your post but I must've missed it...

Time to stop jerking off in fantasy land and actually let the elbow grease run freely. Can't really contact people while the paperwork's filing, but I can put some nice stuff together. Mock sites are still cool.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...