The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I keep watching TV?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've noticed a number of the more successful people in here don't watch much TV. I watch 2-3 hours a day - after the kids go to bed (I actually watch Netflix & Hulu).

Pros of watching tv:
1) its relaxing, nice way to wind down the day/zone out

Cons:
1) wastes time
2) It almost 'drives' me to watch more TV. I usually end up staying past when I should be going to be, which makes me tired the next day

I've thought about limiting myself to just 1 show a night, but that usually doesn't work. Some nights, I listen to an audiobook instead, but that usually only lasts for a few days. (I listen to audio books at the gym or in the car). A couple years ago, I cut out TV entirely. That lasted a number of months.

So...how do you unwind? Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I use the Fastlane Forum to unwind. There's great depth beneath the surface.

Music helps too because you can do other things at the same time without being distracted by moving images.

Watching TV can be a good way to unwind, but do consider the cumulative effect that it can have as a daily habit:

2 hours of TV per day = ~1 entire month (~30.4 days) of your year sitting passively in front of a screen.
3 hours of TV per day = ~1.5 months (~45.6 days) of your year spectating life.

It'd be as if last month never happened as far as accomplishing your goals. You're left with a year of ~11 months.

Putting time in perspective at the daily 24 hour level and then bringing it up the the yearly level could be helpful in managing your time spend.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Well it would be hard to cut out the habit entirely so I won't suggest that, habits aren't made that way.

- figure out your trigger: kids going to bed maybe?

Then develop a habit to work on something worthwhile for 25 minutes (pomedoro style)
Then work on it another 25 minutes after a short break
Then watch 1 hour of tv if you feel you must, or substitute it with your favorite book which is proven to help you sleep better.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Throww it outtttt!

Get a new routine, meditate, write in diary, hug your wife, book, audio book, the options are endless!

mowealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Feb 18, 2014
World Traveler
Well it would be hard to cut out the habit entirely so I won't suggest that, habits aren't made that way.

Unless you cut it out slowly.

But, I've noticed that I don't watch TV when I have "things" to do. So you could keep yourself busy.
Or at least, watch shows that teach you something. Shark Tank is a good one.

I watch Shark Tank and The Profit. Write down each valuable question that has been asked and see how it can benefit your business, that's what I do.
Example, an episode where Robert asked something like "If you are able to reduce the selling price, can you afford to do it? How bad would it affect your business and product"? It makes you think. Or even get tips, like avoid saying maybe when you pitch your business, you have to be prepared, know your product, know your numbers.

I don't necessarily write down every question, but the ones that could relate to my business and help me improve on things, you know.

If you're looking for other ways to wind down; meditate, play a sport, read, write an autobiography, create a comedy playlist on pandora and listen to it for a few minutes (laugh) or simply lie in bed and do absolutely NOTHING, try not to think about anything, just relax and breathe.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
One of my best decisions was to not even set up cable tv after I moved into the flat I live in. I got Netflix, but most of the time I just let it play Modern Family in the background while I'm working, I don't like sitting in a quiet room while working, so I listen to music or let Netflix play something in the background.

After a few hours of working on my business, I like to watch one episode of Supanatural or something to get a lil break while eating. But it can be dangerous.. Sometimes it is really hard to turn off the tv and get back to my laptop.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I would keep watching, because for me I find it has a ton of benefits such as:
  • Useful ad breaks every 20 minutes: Great! Now I know what to buy.
  • People getting interviewed at demonstrations: I love yelled, uninformed opinions!
  • Politicians "discussing" issues on live television: There's nothing better than letting the rage flow through you at 10pm!
  • high quality, scripted social documentaries: Booo! What a bunch of losers! Feels good to be me.
Couldn't think of a better use of my time.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
When I had a TV, I was watching because I had a TV and was lazy and not because I really wanted to see the stupid programs.

Right now I watch 1 episode a day of some quality series, sometimes I don't.

The stupidity of ordinary programs will hit you once you stop consuming them for a few months.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I've noticed a number of the more successful people in here don't watch much TV. I watch 2-3 hours a day - after the kids go to bed (I actually watch Netflix & Hulu).

Pros of watching tv:

Cons:
1) wastes time
2) It almost 'drives' me to watch more TV. I usually end up staying past when I should be going to be, which makes me tired the next day

I've thought about limiting myself to just 1 show a night, but that usually doesn't work. Some nights, I listen to an audiobook instead, but that usually only lasts for a few days. (I listen to audio books at the gym or in the car). A couple years ago, I cut out TV entirely. That lasted a number of months.

I have 2 ways I unwind. The first is to make my kidlings go on long walks at night. (I also find just cuddling with them a great way to relax, though that won't last too much longer.) The other way is I play video games. Specifically, I play Diablo 3. The game has some activities that take about 15 to 20 minutes to complete. I find that if I do more than that, I get annoyed.

In terms of TV, my wife and I tend to limit the nights I watch it to about once a week, and I tend to focus on a few series. We really enjoy Once, Arrow, American Horror Story, Walking Dead, and Daredevil. I like Netflix because I feel no rush to watch them. We don't have cable and rarely watch OTA.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Watching too much TV reflects an absence of meaning and purpose. The TV hyper-reality is what fills the void giving us a feeling of meaning and inclusion. (OMG, did Tyrion kill his Father?! I can't wait to see what happens next week!)

There's a marked difference between TV for entertainment, and TV acting as a surrogate for meaning. Unfortunately, the latter is now what culture has devolved to.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Watching too much TV reflects an absence of meaning and purpose. The TV hyper-reality is what fills the void giving us a feeling of meaning and inclusion. (OMG, did Tyrion kill his Father?! I can't wait to see what happens next week!)

There's a marked difference between TV for entertainment, and TV acting as a surrogate for meaning. Unfortunately, the latter is now what culture has devolved to.

In other words, if you find yourself watching too much tv, find a tribe to belong to and think about what you want your legacy to be.

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey

I rarely watch tv. Other than one football game a week at work on my down time(We only fix airplanes when they are not in the sky) and dateline when I'm at home maybe 2 hours a week with the wife.I try to tell my wife the same thing MJ posted but tv is a big part of her life as thats the number one bill payed at her sidewalk family's home. So its a matter of her upbringing. I will tell her what you posted MJ next time there is 3% left on the DVR. I can't complain because at least she is reading TMF on her way to work everyday and it is becoming part of a daily discussion at home.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I actually watch alot of TV. In terms of "regular programmed" TV I only watch 2-3 shows. Most of the shows I watch are reality TV (stuff like Gold Rush, Million Dollar Listing, Ghost Hunters, etc...) and documentaries and informational shows on Natgeo, Travel Channel and Discovery (Universe, Cosmos, Survival, Odd Destinations, History, etc..)

And of course when the Cubs are in the playoffs!

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The obvious answer is that I should stop watching so much TV...but getting all of your perspective on WHY is awesome. I really like the idea of using that time to pursue things that give meaning to my life. I have a few of those already, so I will transition over to unwinding by focusing on something more productive / positive.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I'm boring, I don't watch Television I have to much to learn about business, writing, dutch and being an authority. I suppose I wind down when I go to bed an put the meditation on, or during a fifteen minute break here and there. I really can't stand watching television, and usually have a hard time watching a movie half the time, and usually watch it with a screen script. lol

I feel like I need to be doing something all the time.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I feel like I need to be doing something all the time.

Which is the opposite end of watching too much tv. I know, for example, that many people tend to avoid reading fiction, yet fiction can improve your creativity and empathy. You do need some form of down time.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Pros of watching tv:

Cons:
1) wastes time

Is there anything productive that doesn't involve much thinking you can do while watching television?

When my wife gets home she loves to unwind with television. I hate it because it's extremely disruptive for me. The challenge is that I still want to hang out and be around her. So I end up finding less complex tasks that don't need a lot of mind power. Stuff like web design or social media updates.

But some days I just go with it. Totally kick back and relax with a favorite show & a glass of wine. Especially if that day happens to be Friday and it's a new season of Shark Tank. ;)

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I have a very hard time watching TV. It's very low on the scale of important things and anytime I flip the television on something pops in my head that needs to be done for my business, my apartment, my personal life and I just stop watching or leave it on in the background.

An observation on successful people is their ability to maximize time. TV usually isn't a part of that.

However......

Life isn't all about work, so a movie or tv episode with the s/o, family or even yourself can be some healthy unwinding time, but I think that should be kept to a minimum, a few hours a day would definitely be way excessive for me. I couldn't do it, I'd feel lazy because IMO with the things I need to get done, that would be laziness.

I'm all for unwinding though, I think it keeps my spirits fresh. There are so many things I do to unwind, from going to the gym, to having dinner out with friends, to shooting or hiking or just being silly with my girlfriend. The stuff I do to unwind though IMO also makes me a better person in some facet of my life. The TV just usually doesn't cut it. I can't really say it makes me a better person in anyway.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I remember when I was single and didn't have a TV for 3 years.

The first few weeks I got rid of the TV I didn't know what to do with myself when I got home from work. All the household chores got done during the week and I had more weekend time to myself.

I even caught myself complaining to myself that I didn't know what to do with all that extra free time. I quickly shook myself and realised what a dumb complaint that was, and made the most of those extra hours I'd conjured up.

Get rid.

There's plenty of TVs in the house now, but I never watch them. This forum serves as my downtime when I'm not working.

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia
I've always had a bit of a Homer Simpson relationship with television . . . . "Teacher, mother, secret lover" . . . . as soon as I got home from work, the idiot box went on and stayed on until I went to bed.

But a few months ago I started to make a change. You know things are bad when there is nothing on at all, but yet you keep hunting around to watch any old crap. After the 28,000 rerun of SVU it dawned on me that maybe, just maybe I could be doing something better with my time.

So I watch a lot less than I used to and I definitely feel better for it. Even if I'm just listening to music, I'm not filling my head with mindless clutter or more depressing news stories about stabbings, government excess, or water skiing squirrels.

mtb_fanatic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 1, 2015
Is there anything productive that doesn't involve much thinking you can do while watching television?

When my wife gets home she loves to unwind with television. I hate it because it's extremely disruptive for me. The challenge is that I still want to hang out and be around her. So I end up finding less complex tasks that don't need a lot of mind power. Stuff like web design or social media updates.

But some days I just go with it. Totally kick back and relax with a favorite show & a glass of wine. Especially if that day happens to be Friday and it's a new season of Shark Tank. ;)

This is exactly the same scenario with me.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
The reason a lot of us do this is so we can do whatever we want, whenever we want.

I am a firm believe that you should do the things you want. Why should you not be able to watch TV? Why should you not be able to play video games? Because you should be working? I've worked 16 hours a day for a year straight before and you have to take time off.

If you want to watch TV, then watch TV. The problem is when watching TV causes you to procrastinate from doing the things you need to be doing. Work 10 hours and take two hours to relax and watch TV? I think this is very acceptable, even for the largest entrepreneurs.

Could you be doing productive things? Yes, but I think relaxing and having fun is also productive.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
The last time the TV was on in our house was to watch the Belmont Stakes. Just the race, not all the stupid celebrity interviews and other crap leading up to it. About 5 minutes total. We make TV (it's one of the businesses my wife and I run), but never watch it. In fact, being in that business, we actually have employees who watch it for us so we can stay abreast of what the competition is up to.

Cheers,
O-2

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
It's the wrong question.

Think about why you have to even ask the question "should I stop watching tv?"

This means you have time to even debate this in your head.

You are the only person that knows whether you are executing at building a life you want.

Debating TV hours... I highly doubt plays into any of those plans.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.