The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Several same businesses?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
When I develop a business A and let that work of the process be 100%.

Now I develop notone business but two. A and B.

And these businesses are quite the same. I only donttake one Name buttwo. Two domains. Two adresses, Two of everything.
The work would be much less than 200%. Maybe 130%.

Thatway I could take not one but two pieces of the cake and at any time sell one of these businesses.

Competition stimulates business. And being my own competition won take away one €.

Good idea or bad?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Worth an experiment. I've contemplated incorporating my own competitors, although my actual competitors usually supply enough of a foil. I've known a few people who have a premium brand under one company, and a low cost brand under another. If someone doesn't fit their service-oriented premium brand, they refer them to the no-service, but cheap, budget brand. They operate as separate companies, and yes, you could sell one off if you got tired of it. Why not?

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
I mean big holding companies do it all the time right... players like Unilever/Proctor and Gamble own many brands that would be seen as each others "competitors", but really are just owned by the same parent.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

And these businesses are quite the same. I only donttake one Name buttwo. Two domains. Two adresses, Two of everything.

Thatway I could take not one but two pieces of the cake and at any time sell one of these businesses.

Competition stimulates business. And being my own competition won take away one €.

Good idea or bad?
Its a good idea in my book.
Depends very much on the business though.
Can you do it in a way that you effectively are not competing with yourself?
That way you`ll truly take 2 pieces of the cake.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
795256245200321710.jpg

Zoom in, its great infographic

Source:This Infographic Shows How Only 10 Companies Own All The World’s Food Brands

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

Good idea or bad?
you mean half of focus, half of profit margins?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Previous responses have pointed out that operating under different brands is a very common business practice.

The big companies don't try to hide the fact. They boast about it, because they know that people will be more likely to trust products that they know are made by a company that they know.

In the case of a small business like @Ing has, it is necessary to hide the fact that the two or more businesses are owned by the one person or company.

I would say it is a good idea, provided you can make your second business appeal to people who don't already buy from your first business. Prices don't have to be lower, and it is possible that by charging a higher price the second business could attract customers who see a high price as evidence of high quality.

All of the advertising, packaging etc., must be very different.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.