The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Service Based Business Question

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

regalforte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 5, 2014
Hi all!

I'm in the process of converting my slowlane service business into a fastlane business. The way my current system works is I would show up to my clients' homes on a weekly basis and they would pay me at the end of the one-hour service (trading time for money). The easiest way I can think of to convert this business into a fastlane model is to hire others to perform the service for me so I can focus on marketing and growing the business.

The only obstacles I can think of are:
(1) My current clients who are used to me serving them may question the expertise of the people I hire since this is a job with a high-barrier skill requirement of entry.
(2) Somehow changing the payment system so that the pay goes directly to me rather than the person I hire to perform the service in my place (would the client become annoyed that I am taking a cut of the profits? Should I let them know this?).
(3) How do I announce this to my current clients who are used to paying me directly for my service so that the transition is smooth?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
The easiest way I can think of to convert this business into a fastlane model is to hire others to perform the service for me so I can focus on marketing and growing the business.
This.

To address your obstacles:
1. Hire the right people without exception. If clients trust you, they should also trust Easier said than done of course, with entire libraries written on the subject. Felix Dennis talks about how to keep good employees in How to Get Rich. Worth reading. My 2 cents is to create and constantly update a system for vetting applicants. Maybe implement a probationary period, only allowing them to see new, promotional clients rather than long-term clients.

2. How do your clients schedule their service, is it through a site/software? Can you have them pay there too? If the client comes to YOU and not directly to your employee, they should have no problem paying you. If it's a thing where they're paying cash to whoever shows up at their house, change that to an electronic payment.

3. Current clients payment system wouldnt have to change unless you start sending your employee to those specific clients, in which case a simple email announcement that you'll be changing payment methods and providers maybe. If that's the case, I'd also recommend first seeing which clients would be open to a different person and who would immediately stop being a client. Try finding MORE clients for your employees rather than just handing yours over. At least until running the business actually replaces directly providing the service.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Google for the Maids in Black interview on Mixergy. There are links to reddit posts that you might find useful too. The guy realised that he had to get really good quality contractors, train them very well, and he had great customer service too.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.