The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling my web business, any advice?

peacemaker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
May 6, 2013
Hi guys,

I've built up a decent business online, it's pretty passive except for new product development and I'm not sure I have the right skill set to take it to the next level. I'm more of a software guy, not a marketer and I think it's time to sell what I've got so far and try the next thing. (note, I am learning as much as I can about marketing but I'd like to apply these things to a totally new concept).

Does anyone here know of a good way to sell an online software business like this? I'd rather avoid Flippa and the like as people on there just offer low-ball amounts and are often clueless about stuff like this.

I'm also slightly concerned this could seem like "quitting" the fastlane. I don't think it is though, I think I've built a good asset up and would like to extract the capital from it to move onto my next venture.

Sorry for the long post but any advice or thoughts about this are much appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
This reminds me of something I head a while ago. I'm paraphrasing here...
It's better to have five years of experience than one year of experience five times.
What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what your next venture is.
Until you learn the next steps, you'l just be on repeat until you do.
I don't have any suggestions on how to sell though, sorry.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
Hi guys,

I've built up a decent business online, it's pretty passive except for new product development and I'm not sure I have the right skill set to take it to the next level. I'm more of a software guy, not a marketer and I think it's time to sell what I've got so far and try the next thing. (note, I am learning as much as I can about marketing but I'd like to apply these things to a totally new concept).

Does anyone here know of a good way to sell an online software business like this? I'd rather avoid Flippa and the like as people on there just offer low-ball amounts and are often clueless about stuff like this.

I'm also slightly concerned this could seem like "quitting" the fastlane. I don't think it is though, I think I've built a good asset up and would like to extract the capital from it to move onto my next venture.

Sorry for the long post but any advice or thoughts about this are much appreciated!

Shoot me a pm. I might have some info that would be worthwhile. Let me know more info about the project, and I can get you in the right direction.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Shoot me a pm. I might have some info that would be worthwhile. Let me know more info about the project, and I can get you in the right direction.
why not post the direction on here and bring value to more people than just one? :)

(Always wondered why people would want to go PMing and being all mysterious while answering an open question on an open forum. Unless it's something really personal. like personal details or a joint venture and such.)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Along these lines, could you increase revenue via marketing efforts? This would be a very valuable ability, and would increase sales value too.

This reminds me of something I head a while ago. I'm paraphrasing here...
It's better to have five years of experience than one year of experience five times.
What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what your next venture is.
Until you learn the next steps, you'l just be on repeat until you do.
I don't have any suggestions on how to sell though, sorry.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
why not post the direction on here and bring value to more people than just one? :)

(Always wondered why people would want to go PMing and being all mysterious while answering an open question on an open forum. Unless it's something really personal. like personal details or a joint venture and such.)

If I felt I could bring anything to this thread that would assist other members, rather than some personal info, I would definitely post up for everyone.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I am interested. Others are as well. Suggest becoming an INSIDERS. Then posting info, site, revenues there and see what advice and offers you receive.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
What are the numbers? ( non specific) There is no generic advice anyone can give you without knowing how much the business generates. Large business's have many avenues, small business do not and are more of a crap shoot selling them.

peacemaker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
May 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I don't really want to post the business publicly here, don't want to spam but it's probably pretty easy to figure out. But I can say that it's not a massive business, earns around $1000-$1200 or so a month profit and steadily increasing. The increase is just slow due to my lack of marketing skills. I appreciate the comments above about marketing and I'm sure there is plenty I could do with this but I currently have that "can't see the jungle through the trees" kind of feeling with it, like I'm too close to things to think outside the box about it.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.