The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

School and entrepreneurship

wpendleb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 23, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hey everybody, I’m new to this forum so i guess I’ll introduce myself.
I’m currently in year 12 and just turned 17, with big ambitions in life. In my spare time I enjoy cycling, working out, and last but not least gaining purposeful knowledge through mainly reading books - unscripted being one of my firsts and favourites, among rich dad poor dad ;)
The reason I post today is to hopefully get some advice on what is the best route I should take in my life, from fellow entrepreneurs - seeing as I don’t have any that I know of to chat to about.
My current dilemma is whether or not I should stay and finish year 12 and really any opinions from others that may have been in the same situation I’d be more than pleased to hear from. In classes, I feel as though the stuff I’m learning is really useless - like many other students - however I feel that I am on track to really accomplish something with my life: unlike others. I have chatted with my parents and the school principal on many occasions, with all of them being fine with me dropping out to chase my dreams. The problem is though that they say this will close doors, but I only believe this will close the gap to have a high income job and will not have a large effect on my future - hence me not wanting to go to uni and gathering further indoctrination etc.
My current routine is to wake up around 5:30 and basically work around school to meet by goals, as school isn’t one of them.
For the last 4 months, I’ve smashed out books and taken notes on them, these being just your foundational books as it seems to be - along the lines of: How to win friends and influence people, The Art of War, The obstacle is the way etc.
To add, I find it hard to concentrate on school and get things finished on time, because of my beliefs on school and indoctrination blah blah - I’ve been watching a lot of David Icke lately.
It seems like my head is telling me to drop out, whereas my heart is telling me to stay.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
I’m currently in year 12 and just turned 17, with big ambitions in life. In my spare time I enjoy cycling, working out, and last but not least gaining purposeful knowledge through mainly reading books - unscripted being one of my firsts and favourites, among rich dad poor dad ;)
The reason I post today is to hopefully get some advice on what is the best route I should take in my life, from fellow entrepreneurs - seeing as I don’t have any that I know of to chat to about.
My current dilemma is whether or not I should stay and finish year 12 and really any opinions from others that may have been in the same situation I’d be more than pleased to hear from. In classes, I feel as though the stuff I’m learning is really useless - like many other students - however I feel that I am on track to really accomplish something with my life: unlike others. I have chatted with my parents and the school principal on many occasions, with all of them being fine with me dropping out to chase my dreams. The problem is though that they say this will close doors, but I only believe this will close the gap to have a high income job and will not have a large effect on my future - hence me not wanting to go to uni and gathering further indoctrination etc.
My current routine is to wake up around 5:30 and basically work around school to meet by goals, as school isn’t one of them.
For the last 4 months, I’ve smashed out books and taken notes on them, these being just your foundational books as it seems to be - along the lines of: How to win friends and influence people, The Art of War, The obstacle is the way etc.
To add, I find it hard to concentrate on school and get things finished on time, because of my beliefs on school and indoctrination blah blah - I’ve been watching a lot of David Icke lately.
It seems like my head is telling me to drop out, whereas my heart is telling me to stay.
I'm in the same dilemma. You can read this thread too. What Should I Do At 17?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My current dilemma is whether or not I should stay and finish year 12

Yes.

Finish high school.

Whether you should go to college/uni or not is a topic of much debate (and there are tons of threads on the subject) and you'll have to make that decision on your own but there's really no good reason for a 17 year old in their final year not to finish high school.

In many places there's even truancy laws that may be at play (I don't know them, I just know "of" them).

I could debate all day about what I think about formal education (which isn't too favorable), and you could argue the sunk cost fallacy quite nicely, but walking away from the finish line (at anything) when you are one foot away is foolhardy in my mind. Especially at 17.

You have your entire life ahead of you. Spend the 6 months or whatever it is to finish high school and then start worrying about what the rest of your life will be like.

G

Guest92dX

Finish high school.

What I wonder is why governments don't push skilled trade training. They pay you to learn and there are some pretty much white collar skilled trades out there. You just have to search. U.S. is the only place I have reference for.

I wish someone told me that when I was in highschool and didn't want to go to college. I thought you had to pay for vocational school and had no upward mobility. Lessons learned. College debt acquired.

There are people literally doing measurement for oil rigs and drilling making like $100k a year in 3 MONTHS.

They have the other 6 or 9 months off. GG. What kind of unscripted life could you live if you worked for 3 months on at an arguably dangerous job and got paid all your year's salary? You'd only have to work 1 year.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that they feed and house you too?

wpendleb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 23, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yes.

Finish high school.

Whether you should go to college/uni or not is a topic of much debate (and there are tons of threads on the subject) and you'll have to make that decision on your own but there's really no good reason for a 17 year old in their final year not to finish high school.

In many places there's even truancy laws that may be at play (I don't know them, I just know "of" them).

I could debate all day about what I think about formal education (which isn't too favorable), and you could argue the sunk cost fallacy quite nicely, but walking away from the finish line (at anything) when you are one foot away is foolhardy in my mind. Especially at 17.

You have your entire life ahead of you. Spend the 6 months or whatever it is to finish high school and then start worrying about what the rest of your life will be like.
Thanks for your input appreciate it

wpendleb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 23, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finish high school.

What I wonder is why governments don't push skilled trade training. They pay you to learn and there are some pretty much white collar skilled trades out there. You just have to search. U.S. is the only place I have reference for.

I wish someone told me that when I was in highschool and didn't want to go to college. I thought you had to pay for vocational school and had no upward mobility. Lessons learned. College debt acquired.

There are people literally doing measurement for oil rigs and drilling making like $100k a year in 3 MONTHS.

They have the other 6 or 9 months off. GG. What kind of unscripted life could you live if you worked for 3 months on at an arguably dangerous job and got paid all your year's salary? You'd only have to work 1 year.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that they feed and house you too?
Interesting, as I’m in Australia I’d have to do some more research but it’s something I haven’t thought about before. Thanks

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

I'd probably be the most likely person to talk about the disadvantages of the school system when it comes to being an entrepreneur. What's learned there is not aligned to how we function in this world.

But even from my extreme perspective, my advice (like the other experienced members who posted here) is to yes, finish high school.

wpendleb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 23, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'd probably be the most likely person to talk about the disadvantages of the school system when it comes to being an entrepreneur. What's learned there is not aligned to how we function in this world.

But even from my extreme perspective, my advice (like the other experienced members who posted here) is to yes, finish high school.
Appreciate your reply, could I ask why your personal opinion is to stay in school? Even while being negative on the concept of it for entrepreneurs.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Appreciate your reply, could I ask why your personal opinion is to stay in school? Even while being negative on the concept of it for entrepreneurs.

My 2 cents, assuming your grade 12 is like ours and the final year of high school.

High School Diploma (or GED, etc..)

- Minimum requirement for MANY jobs, even basic ones, the kind you are likely going to need to fall back on if things go south
- Costs nothing but time, and you're already almost done
- Very high benefit-to-cost ratio given that you are at the finish line

College / University

- Excessively expensive in all but the most generalized, basic programs/schools
- Takes an additional 2-5+ years to complete
- Takes an enormous amount of energy to get through, making it hard to work on anything else
- Required to get specialized careers of the kind you likely have no interest in as an entrepreneur
- Largely taught by teachers who only know the subject material from books rather than real life experience. Some exceptions exist.
- Information is outdated in many modern fields. The world moves faster than education.
- Disconnect between what you learn and how the world actually works.
- Your chances of getting out debt-free and working on your own projects are low. The debt will likely require you get "any job" you can to pay it down. You likely won't have the experience required to get the kinds of jobs the school promised you. So you'll start exactly where the high school grads started, but 3 years behind.
- You can learn better, and faster, on your own.
- Very low benefit-to cost ratio.

wpendleb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 23, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My 2 cents, assuming your grade 12 is like ours and the final year of high school.

High School Diploma (or GED, etc..)

- Minimum requirement for MANY jobs, even basic ones, the kind you are likely going to need to fall back on if things go south
- Costs nothing but time, and you're already almost done
- Very high benefit-to-cost ratio given that you are at the finish line

College / University

- Excessively expensive in all but the most generalized, basic programs/schools
- Takes an additional 2-5+ years to complete
- Takes an enormous amount of energy to get through, making it hard to work on anything else
- Required to get specialized careers of the kind you likely have no interest in as an entrepreneur
- Largely taught by teachers who only know the subject material from books rather than real life experience. Some exceptions exist.
- Information is outdated in many modern fields. The world moves faster than education.
- Disconnect between what you learn and how the world actually works.
- Your chances of getting out debt-free and working on your own projects are low. The debt will likely require you get "any job" you can to pay it down. You likely won't have the experience required to get the kinds of jobs the school promised you. So you'll start exactly where the high school grads started, but 3 years behind.
- You can learn better, and faster, on your own.
- Very low benefit-to cost ratio.
I agree with you, once again thanks for your input :)

KrzyszWawrzyniak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2017
Great Britain
There's only one advice working for everybody: Do something.
Doesn't have to be building websites or engineering new types of robots.
Go out, volunteer, offer help to an elder carrying heavy bags, chat with people when queuing in the shop or random people at school...
Just do ANYTHING.
That's where it all starts.

wpendleb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 23, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Update:

I’m in the process of leaving school (Year 12 here in Australia) after making what I and my parents would call a very informed decision.

My question to ask everybody now is: what’s the best way to get my foot in the door of entrepreneurship? I’m sure things like this have been posted many times but some clear cut advice would help immensely.
I’ve since joined up into mastermind groups and also begun little networking, I feel as if I’m just at the tip of the iceberg and am willing to search much deeper.

G

Guest92dX

Update:

I’m in the process of leaving school (Year 12 here in Australia) after making what I and my parents would call a very informed decision.

My question to ask everybody now is: what’s the best way to get my foot in the door of entrepreneurship? I’m sure things like this have been posted many times but some clear cut advice would help immensely.
I’ve since joined up into mastermind groups and also begun little networking, I feel as if I’m just at the tip of the iceberg and am willing to search much deeper.

Get a skill

learn about different business functions and skill up. Coding, analyst stuff, accounting, or lots of other skills. Get a skilled trade degree or something.

Next, start setting aside money to fund your ventures.

Freelance or something.

The one thing you can never do though is quit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.