The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rich Dad Seminar

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
To Go..or not to Go... that is the question....
Whether tis nobler in my mind to hear the words of Kiyosaki,
or to suffer wasted hours in my pursuit of outrageous forutune (work).

In other words, do I take off work to hear Rob speak about the good life for 2 hours, then let him try to sell me on another expensive seminar, or do I realize that what will be said has already been read in his book and watched on his infomercial on PBS.

It's been said it could be a good place to network; although I don't think that would apply too much to me right now.

On the other hand, I would be willing to wear a Fastlane to Millions T-shirt to it if I had one. :fastlane:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Rich Lad Blowyanar....no thanks.

Now the shirt, that would be the shit! PICS!!!

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
If you notice the fine print... Kiyosaki WILL NOT be in attendance for this, just his pitchmen:

*Robert Kiyosaki does not participate in this event.

BryanC

Banned
Oct 20, 2008
Palm Beach
I agree. If you really want to get the philosophy, you should sit down with the games and the books for about 6 months and just study them directly. That's what I did. You can basically get the whole collection of books and games for under $400... maybe even $300. I know I was buying some good books off Amazon, Ebay, and even Barnes And Noble for under $5 a book. Some were as little as .98c!

I really like Kiyosaki's philosophy so I ended up ordering his How To Predict The Future DVD's. I wasn't to happy about the DVD's because there was just to much missing. But, I also question if it would have even been worth going to the seminar directly. LoL.

Also, you have Google. You can find just about every ounce of information you will ever need by surfing the web and doing research.

BryanC

Banned
Oct 20, 2008
Palm Beach
If you notice the fine print... Kiyosaki WILL NOT be in attendance for this, just his pitchmen:

*Robert Kiyosaki does not participate in this event.

Yeah that's another reason his seminar sucks. Everytime I have been to one of those sales pitch a.k.a. workshops. They've all sucked. They build the guy up as an authority on Real Estate or W/E they are pitching and he is just a good public speaker. There is no evidence the guy has done jack ****. LoL.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Well, I haven't seen Rob in person, but I've watched a hour program he had. I've been to a couple of FOREX and other seminars where they just try to upsale. So it would most likely be a waste of time. On the other hand, maybe we could start a CashFlow game there.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
BryanC said:
They build the guy up as an authority on Real Estate or W/E they are pitching and he is just a good public speaker. There is no evidence the guy has done jack ****. LoL.

RK has substantial RE holdings (10s of millions of $$), as does his wife Kim.

They are held in LLCs and other instruments, NOT in their names.

If you do a little due diligence, you will find dozens of properties held by the Kiyosakis.

-Russ H.

Here's just one thread where those who have met him talk about their experiences.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
To Go..or not to Go... that is the question....
Whether tis nobler in my mind to hear the words of Kiyosaki,
or to suffer wasted hours in my pursuit of outrageous forutune (work).

In other words, do I take off work to hear Rob speak about the good life for 2 hours, then let him try to sell me on another expensive seminar, or do I realize that what will be said has already been read in his book and watched on his infomercial on PBS.

It's been said it could be a good place to network; although I don't think that would apply too muh to me right now.

On the other hand, I would be willing to wear a Fastlane to Millions T-shirt to it if I had one. :fastlane:

I went to a RD seminar about 4 years ago. Here's what I found:

1. You won't be "allowed" to network. If you were allowed to network then people would find out quicker that the seminar isn't informative at all, it's a big, fat, condescending waste of time. ...It's just one giant sales pitch for a larger, more expensive seminar--to the tune of $50k.

2. You won't learn a damn thing, except that you shoudda listened to your gut and not gone.

3. There really is a sucker born every minute. Amazing how people have nothing in the bank but can come up with $50k just for the hope of something better.

Sparlin, if you'd like I can save you the time and money and just kick you square between the legs. You'd probably learn the same lessons in 1/100th of the time. ...It's a labor of love; I give back to this community any way I can. ;)

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Ok.. another vote not to go.

I wonder how many people will actually go. His seminar was advertised on Yahoo Mail. I would bet a lot of the laid off workers here end up going.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
RK has substantial RE holdings (10s of millions of $$), as does his wife Kim.

But the real question is if they had these holdings BEFORE book, or AFTER book. I doubt he had anything over $1M-$2M at the time he wrote his book.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
There is a segment in the seminar where they have you go and increase the balance on your credit cards, because after all, the rich make money and the poor earn it. So then everyone goes and increases their balances, and then guess what--they hit you with the purchase price of anywhere from $16k-$50k, depending on how "serious" you are. Sounds ridiculous right? Apparently not, because people go rushing to the back of the room like cattle to the slaughter, credit cards in hand. They leave with a nervous sense of self-satisfaction and a cute little sticker on their shirt that says "I invest in myself." (Seriously.) ...And it's people from all walks of life. Doctors, plumbers, lawyers, stay at home moms, unemployed people you name it.

I tell ya, if you really want to make some money, book a room at the same hotel and hold a conference on the same day that pools together junior real estate investors with experienced ones and take a cut. You've already got about 500 people how are primed and ready for ya. lol

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I would be willing to wear a Fastlane to Millions T-shirt to it if I had one.

Like this one...

P2280031.jpg

Then again, it'd be even better if you wore one of Kenric's ghillie suits to an RK seminar ;)

PS, I went to Trump's version of the upsell seminar around the same time last yr and posted about the "experience" I had:

lol, that sounds like the "Learning Annex" seminar I went to a few months back.... while it was great to get some ideas towards what I should work on such as getting grants, looking into tax-lien sales, and the "positive attitude" activities of Tony Robbins, I couldn't help but look around and think "what a bunch of losers" :smilielol:

at the same time the upsellers giving the presentations including the rigged giveaways of iPhones and other stuff... i.e. the tax-lien sale presentation instead of having a raffle ticket the presenter asked "who has the oldest penny in the room?"... lol... if I go next yr I'll have to bring some of the old coins I got laying around and really throw a wrench into that...

thankfully it was free, it was on a weekend and I didn't really have anything else to do, and most importantly I did NOT buy anything!

With that in mind, I think i'll just ignore the ad I found today for the "free"(most likely an upselling scam) Trump U seminar coming up soon on foreclosures and take that time in picking my friend Luke's brain as he has 4 FC properties himself, but I haven't taken as much time lately to keep in touch :nonod:

With that in mind, it's very worthwhile to go to B&P not only for the learning experience, but networking :coolgleamA:

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Just because you own a ton of real estate doesn't make you an expert on real estate. If you earned 10 million+ from real estate then I'd consider you an expert but I think he made that money from mostly selling books, etc. I could go buy like $800 worth of blenders? or somethin but I still wouldn't be a blender expert haha

So people really go and waste $50,000 guys? That's incredible. I always hear you all talk so good about his books tho. I still have to read them.

Is he basically a very knowledgeable business man who you should learn from but in real life is a total jerk who will have no problem taking your last penny for his own benefit?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Is he basically a very knowledgeable business man who you should learn from but in real life is a total jerk who will have no problem taking your last penny for his own benefit?

I don't know if he's a very knowledgeable business man or not. I think that point is heavily debated. What he has done well that has changed many lives, including my own, is write Rich Dad, Poor Dad as well as Cashflow Quadrant (those were the two big ones for me.)

I don't care if he's an a$$ in real life, he can go home, kick his dog and yell at his wife for all I care. (Well I kinda care if he kicks his dog, lol.) I also don't care if the storyline in RDPD employs a heavy amount of creative license. Doesn't matter. What does matter are the lessons that are in the book. ...As for taking money, it's not like the guy turns people upside down and shakes it out of their pockets. People gotta realize that they are in control of their finances at every level. Whether they spend 50 cents on gum or $50k on a seminar. Only WE are in control over how we spend our money--not the gurus, financial planners, friends or family. Our finances are our 100% responsibility.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I think starting my own seminar is the way to go. Good Suggestion.
I'll call it..... "Don't Do It Dummy"... and lecture about life mistakes, wasting time, and money. Only $5,000 for the first 100 people to sign up, 50 bucks for everyone after that.

If you sign up first, you really do need help.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Only WE are in control over how we spend our money--not the gurus, financial planners, friends or family. Our finances are our 100% responsibility.

+rep

And I'll one-up ya, WE are also in control of how we earn our money, not the gurus, financial planners, family or friends :smxB:

In the last 13 months since I joined and got a crash course on the fastlane mindset, I have been to the Trump Seminar, B&P and have read a few books(something I didn't even do when I was "required to" in school, I was a "work smarter" type and usually found the info I needed to pass the tests instead of spending the time reading :p). The common denominator is that whether it's a book, forum or seminar, there are three things you need to accomplish- learn, network and take action.

Sadly, I am still struggling on #3 and to this date it is my biggest failure to not just step up to the plate and swing for the fences which is ironic b/c it's the approach I am taking in baseball now(I used to always be a gaps power hitter who always made contact, now I strikeout a lot while literally swinging for the fences :p).

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Sadly, I am still struggling on #3 and to this date it is my biggest failure to not just step up to the plate and swing for the fences which is ironic b/c it's the approach I am taking in baseball now(I used to always be a gaps power hitter who always made contact, now I strikeout a lot while literally swinging for the fences :p).

Just keep in mind that the odds of you hitting a home run your first time up to the plate are slim. However, the more times you get up to bat, the better your batting average becomes over time. :)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Bruce Lee is a no go... Bruce knocked out 2 dogs in one of his movies..don't remember which one... "The Big Boss?" would have to look.

I know in "The Chinese Connection" there was a scene where a Japanese town had a sign that said "No Dogs, No Chinese" and he kicked the sign off the post and broke it in mid-air, not sure if any dogs were harmed in the same scene as it's been about 15yrs since I saw it.

Or maybe you're thinking Ah-nold and this scene from True Lies:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN0ZJpEfjhQ"]YouTube - Arnold gives two leaping dogs a double head bash[/ame]

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Ok.. here is what I've got out of this so far.

1. You won't get much valuable info there, but they will try to sell a program, implying that the more you pay the more successful you will be.

2. No one knows if RK was originally successful or not, but his books are inspirational and basically sound.

3. Most people think it would not be worth the time, especially since there is this forum to get better info from.

4. If I go, I should wear the T-shirt. If I want to get into the 50k lecture for free, I can put on a ghillie suit, stand in the corner and act like a potted plant.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Just keep in mind that the odds of you hitting a home run your first time up to the plate are slim. However, the more times you get up to bat, the better your batting average becomes over time. :)

Ahh yes, Ryan Howard is a great role model for this, I believe he was hitting under .200 for most of last season, but still ended up finishing at around .250 with 40+ HR's and 140+ RBI's, but most importantly he got a ring and a fat new contract :coolgleamA:

I guess this would be the lifestyle equivalent of having sub-par businesses, but always shooting for the stars ultimately to "hit the homerun" and have that "B" business that leads to financial freedom.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I know in "The Chinese Connection" there was a scene where a Japanese town had a sign that said "No Dogs, No Chinese" and he kicked the sign off the post and broke it in mid-air, not sure if any dogs were harmed in the same scene as it's been about 15yrs since I saw it.

Or maybe you're thinking Ah-nold and this scene from True Lies:

YouTube - Arnold gives two leaping dogs a double head bash

I remember the film you are talking about and that scene. No, the one I remember had actual canines attacking him as he snuck up on the bad guy. It's been about 15yrs for me too. :) Now I'll have to google it.

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Knowledge Kick-

I'd have to confess to being a pretty big fan of RK, until he up and went all postal on my *ss. :nonod:

I was even a mod on his richdad forums, at one time.

From everything I've known, and seen, and read, here are my opinions (not fact or "truth", just my opinions):

1. He and his wife Kim figured out how to invest in enough RE so that the cashflow (= income after all expenses were paid) was enough for them to essentially live without having to do any other work, except maintain their RE properties.

They had a nice (if modest) house in Phx, and all of their expenses were paid for by the rents they got from their RE holdings.

They satisfied one of MJ's rules: Live below your means (= spend less than you take in).

2. Robert is a born teacher (his dad was a teacher). So when he finally got financially free, he spent a year or so kicking around "retired", but got bored out of his mind. He created the Cashflow game to be a new way to teach people about how to get financially free, and then wrote a book (Rich Dad Poor Dad) to explain his basic concepts.

3. An early iteration of the RDPD book was used to promote Amway or some other network marketing group-- this is kind of hazy, but it makes sense-- one of the big goals of MLM is learning how to become financially free. Only problem w/MLM is, as MJ says, you are someone else's worker bee. The real fastlane moneymaker is the person who FOUNDS and is at the TOP of the MLM.

4. RDPD took off, more than anyone could have ever hoped or dreamed. It has broken records being on the NYTimes best sellers list, and has been translated into 44 languages and is available for sale in 80 countries. So yes, RK has definitely made a pile of money from being an author and speaker.

I have to stop here, and make this point: Anyone who writes a book that is translated into 44 languages and has touched so many lives has, in my estimation, achieved something truly remarkable.

5. I have some very early cassette tapes that RK did after coming out w/RDPD. In them, he advises people NOT to waste their money on $5K seminars and other such things. He make the point that he learned lots by DOING, not by paying tens of thousands of dollars on seminars.

But he also makes the point that he learned a lot from RE seminars. I guess the main message is: Yes, he learned the "how to" from taking seminars/reading books-- but the real learning occurred by GOING OUT AND DOING-- actually investing in RE and other things. He talks about starting small (and local), and building up to bigger and bigger deals as you learn how to do things.

6. I think he changed (hey, people do). Went from being more of an altruistic teacher (the guy who wrote the first few RD books) to a guy who started hard selling lots of seminars and other educational things, in an effort to pump up his own personal wealth. This, sadly, is the RK I met a few years ago. The altruist was the guy I really respected and admired. I'm really sorry I never met him when he was that humble guy.

But here's a really, really important point:

RK's system for being financially independent has multiple points.

ONE of them is:

Build a business or investment that throws off lots of extra cash. Use this extra cash to invest in things like RE, paper assets, or more businesses.

That is how he took his wealth to the next level (making money on RDPD, and using the excess cash to buy RE and other investments).

So while RK was financially free before he wrote RDPD, I think his wealth increased by at least 10x (probably more like 40-60x) when RDPD became successful.

But using his RDPD money was all part of the PLAN he outlined in his books-- it was the "business" that generated excess cashflow that funded his investing into more assets.

I hope all this makes sense.

I don't want anyone to think I'm presenting "facts" here-- the items listed above are purely my own personal opinions. I have no direct evidence to support them-- so take them w/an appropriate grain of salt!

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.