The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reading a lot - is this really the #1 trait of rich people?

Nice_home

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 19, 2019
I came across this article and various other similar articles that claim "reading" is the most important habit for people who have become wealthy. If you have found success in business, do you find this to be true? Is there a habit that's been more important to you than reading? Here is the article:

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
I would say the number one most important habit that all successful people have in common is that they take massive action.

But yes, they tend to read a lot too.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
I would say the number one most important habit that all successful people have in common is that they take massive action.

And provide massive value

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I would say the most important habit is consistent progress towards a set goal.

You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you don’t do anything with it then that knowledge is pointless.

aminmo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
481%
Jan 2, 2018
United States
Just because a lot of rich people read doesn't necessarily mean reading will make you rich.

Does reading help? It can, but it really depends on WHAT you read. There's a lot of crap information out there, so it's possible reading may actually have a NEGATIVE effect.

That said, if you can find the right books and information that's been written by the right people, then reading can help MASSIVELY. Heck, this whole forum is basically based off one of the greatest business books I've personally ever read, and it literally changed my life for the better (it got me off my a$$ and made me take action towards my goals/dreams).

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
@ChrisV - It reminds me the link you posted a couple of weeks
That was awesome!

Last edited:

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
Not necessarily it has to be reading, but any sources of information. Just take action and learn along the way. Don't learn or read too much, it's an action faker.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Those who can read but choose not to have no advantage over those who cannot read.

Reading will not make you successful in itself, but imagine how much more knowledgeable on any possible subject you can become by simply reading on a regular basis.

mdmetelus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 15, 2019
Queens, New York
Those who can read but choose not to have no advantage over those who cannot read.

Reading will not make you successful in itself, but imagine how much more knowledgeable on any possible subject you can become by simply reading on a regular basis.

I agree with your sentiments, reading allows you to benefit from years of wisdom, knowledge, and experience that other accomplished people have to offer, but if you take no action what value could reading have for you...?

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
the key difference is also that they don't read for entertainment and more for knowledge, don't forget that. I think they don't indulge much harry potter or twilight lol.

At all a good habit. Good for your Brain.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I came across this article and various other similar articles that claim "reading" is the most important habit for people who have become wealthy. If you have found success in business, do you find this to be true? Is there a habit that's been more important to you than reading? Here is the article:

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure about the #1 trait of the wealthy, but yes, according to data and polls, wealthy people do read more.

More traits of the wealthy:

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I get the correlation... reading shows a willingness or, more importantly, a desire to learn. That's a massive part of being successful when it comes to accumulating wealth in my opinion.

Obviously taking action, is just as, if not more important than reading/learning, but that's a little more difficult to boil down into one particular trait.

I never used to read at all until I was in my late 20s (in my late 30s now) and since then I go through about a book a week. It's helped me massively in every area of my life and the only other thing that's helped me just as much, if not more, is another habit commonly attributed to successful people... meditation.

babyballer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 16, 2018

Thanks in advance!

No it isnt. It is the speed of implementation. Look it up.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Read a book that you think will benefit or improve an area of your or someone’s life and then take what you learned from that book and implement it immediately.

Reading for the sake of reason is good, but it’s not as effective as reading and then acting.

Don’t just read TMFL. Read it and take action.

mdmetelus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 15, 2019
Queens, New York
No it isnt. It is the speed of implementation. Look it up.
Excellent point!
"You're either first of you're last," Like Ricky Bobby said. If you're not first, you loose the premium value associated with the first mover advantage, and the opportunity to take all of the market share in a need industry or niche.

But to get back to the main topic; Upon further reflection I don't think there can ever be only "one best/ most important habit." I've always looked at success as stacking a (large) group of high end habits over time to achieve a goal or improve at any specific endeavor. That's the only way I was able to achieved success at school, sports or anything else that takes time, skill, and consistent action to improve. There are far to many variables for any one thing to be the reason for financial success, and building wealth. I think the more high end habits one cultivates the higher ones probability of getting to any set goal.

One person could genuinely attribute the majority of their wealth/success to a habit that another equally successful person does not have. Who would be right in that case? Would it even matter? I also don't think any 2 stories can't be identical so the habits necessary for one person to build with may be at variance with what another person, in another time frame, or another industry needs to do to great enough value to receive a fortune in return.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
In my experience, successful people spend more time THINKING than unsuccessful people.

Most of the best business people I know will spend a lot of time secluding themselves, thinking critically about their business. They spend time clearly defining their goals and creating a roadmap to achieve them.

Less successful people seem to spend a lot of time taking random actions that haven't been well conceived or thought out.

Action is good, but without thought or planning, it's more likely to push you away from your goals than towards them.
This!

One of the first things I have people do who seek my help is to write out a one year plan. Then break that plan down into four quarterly plans. Then come up with monthly plans. Then weekly plans. Then the weekly task transfer to your daily to do list.

Everyone complains of how much work it is until they get it finsihed and have a set roadmap right in front of them every morning. Makes it super simple (not to be confused with easy) to stay on track to accomplishing your goals.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Be curious about the world. How do things work? How can I improve this? Why do we do it this way?

By being curious, you'll want to learn more, understand more and thus you read.

babyballer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 16, 2018
This!

One of the first things I have people do who seek my help is to write out a one year plan. Then break that plan down into four quarterly plans. Then come up with monthly plans. Then weekly plans. Then the weekly task transfer to your daily to do list.

Everyone complains of how much work it is until they get it finsihed and have a set roadmap right in front of them every morning. Makes it super simple (not to be confused with easy) to stay on track to accomplishing your goals.

That's interesting. It is different from Scott Adam's "systems not goals" concept.

babyballer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 16, 2018
How do you create systems to achieve goals if you don't start with well defined goals?

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Targeted reading imo. Reading to get from A to B.

Try reading and learning Python books and implementing what they teach. It's trash. Because you don't have a point B you want to get to - such as creating a mobile app that connects two people together via chatroom for example. Or simply: "I want to understand more about how the economy works so I can simplify it to myself and my friend".

You should have an end goal before starting, otherwise whatever you read will just be forgotten or won't matter anyway.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I like this thread. Everybody has great points.

To summarize the posts so far:
  1. Read and understand a great book
  2. Think about and process the ideas from that book
  3. Turn those ideas into a goal to provide massive value
  4. Create a broad plan to achieve that goal
  5. Create daily action steps to execute the plan
  6. Take massive action daily to execute those steps
  7. Do this everyday until you're successful or you're dead

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
I don't see why we need to use either only systems or only goals. They are not opposite to each other. Instead we could use both.

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
I think the real question here is what and how we should do first: Reading vs taking action. If we read too much at first and then take action later, chance will be it's too late, we wasted a lot of time, and we might forget the information we got from the books. If we hurry to take action, chances are we will mess it up and have to read the books and then do it again. It's all about balance, but it's hard to say when it's enough switch between the two, we have to rely on our own experience.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@JScott

Scott Adams' Goal vs Systems is the same concept as Demarco's Event vs. Process.

James Clear discusses this in Atomic Habits
Andy Frisella's Power List is based on this
Hardy's Compound Effect
Maltz's Pyscho-Cybernetics
Many others say the same thing

They're all the same thing.
  1. Set a goal
  2. Create a plan to achieve that goal
  3. Break that plan down into daily action steps
  4. Use the goal for inspiration, but don't focus on it
  5. Put your focus on executing the daily action steps
  6. Fall in love with accomplishing the daily action steps
  7. Accomplish the goal
Love the process, not the destination.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It's worth considering that wealthy people have gotten to where they are by consciously making positive and better decisions about what they do and how they do it in many areas of their life.

Reading for the wealthy may very well simply be yet another one of many small choices they made along the way to replace a useless or negative action with a useful and positive one.

Maybe they were watching tv for an hour a day and flipped that to reading. Still using the same time in the day but replacing a useless activity with a useful one.

If an athlete said they eat a pound of veggies a day - would you say that the veggies are how they became an athlete? Or is it more likely that one day they cut out a lot of bullshit that was hurting them and picked up a carrot and went "yeah, this is better"?

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville

My vote goes to taking action.

I've read where CEO's read an average of 50 books/year. I think that is a made up stat to sell more business/self-development books. Find 5-7 good books and re-read those every year. Then, write your own book. The best way to learn a topic is to write a book on it or teach a course about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.