The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
it's never acceptable to become boring

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Anyone else ever spend 3 days working on a project that should take 2 hours because you think that only reading half of the instructions is sufficient?

1621977436031.png

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Shellfish like shrimps, lobsters and prawns are similar to roaches, belong to the same class (Arthropoda) and even get their food from the bottom of the sea-which is usually dead material. Also similar eating habits to roaches...

So we might have been already eating bugs before media caught on?

This is why I try not to eat a lot of shellfish, especially when sea pollution factors in.
I'm looking forward to improvements in seafood farming though...

D

Deleted78083

In Belgium they decided to give the Johnson and Johnson vaccine to people above 40 years old only after "a young patient"...died.

I got my invitation letter to be vaxinated, but I think I'll skip it. If I need to do 10 tests to travel, so be it.

I got all of my vaccines (yellow fever, hepatitis, etc) and have always been in order regarding that.

But I won't take a vaccine made in a hurry to fight a Chinese lab-grown virus that isn't even that dangerous.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Not having anything to say is the same as saying the wrong thing!
Hmm, I don't get it. Maybe I'm too naive to know this but can you elaborate a little?

Also your videos on Youtube about writing are of great value. Appreciate it man.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Stuff like this always blows my mind. These are all entire galaxies.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
the elite don't want you to know this, but you can talk to strangers on the internet and they will help you make money

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
In Belgium they decided to give the Johnson and Johnson vaccine to people above 40 years old only after "a young patient"...died.

I got my invitation letter to be vaxinated, but I think I'll skip it. If I need to do 10 tests to travel, so be it.

I got all of my vaccines (yellow fever, hepatitis, etc) and have always been in order regarding that.

But I won't take a vaccine made in a hurry to fight a Chinese lab-grown virus that isn't even that dangerous.
Glad that you are pretty prompt at taking vaccines (validated ones, that is)!

Such death cases are in the minority, and probably caused by past health issues.
To think about it, COVID patients with past chronic conditions (like heart issues) were more likely to be fatalities.

Which made me realise how unhealthy our populations are...

I guess our immune systems must be kept up to speed. Even vaccines or treatments like vitamin IV (or supplements) need proper body systems (transporters) to deliver the substance in the bloodstream.

Thing is, panic-buying of vitamins just to prep for COVID ain't gonna work.
Vitamin supplements only give small bits at a time.

If doctors give vitamin C intravenously (IV), it can work to cut down some infection:
http://C0VlD-19.moh.gov.my/kajian-d...NTRAVENOUS_VITAMIN_C_FOR_COVID-19_editted.pdf

...but I imagine it would be an uphill battle for the body's transporters, having to fight a war against the virus and run business at the same time...

We need to keep healthy habits NOW when our bodies are still in shape, not when we are close to death.

what a weird time to be alive
A few restaurants in my country are even offering freebies if you took the vaccine...

I'd just pick the Chinese vaccines since they use dead virus material (traditional approach).
But the efficacy rate may be lower, and there's more data yet to be released.

the elite don't want you to know this, but you can talk to strangers on the internet and they will help you make money
Email marketing, twitch streaming, FB live...the list goes on.

Email is still OG though. For high-ticket purchases, many brands still ask for your email, and handle receipts and upsells via email.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Stuff like this always blows my mind. These are all entire galaxies.

Amazing and instant perspective. And just think, that's one tiny slice of the sky displaying hundreds of galaxies. The universe has to be teeming with life, much less that one slice.

Meditate on it and it is mind blowing.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Programmers, what do you do when your software product is attacked by every single anti-virus software because it's not used often or whatever?

Do you have to register it with some kind of internet security cartel?

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Real estate agents need to get off their high horses.

It's been 3 days since I sent my agent a development deal to get more info for me. She told me she's at an offer presentation day 1, I said okay no worries, send me the info in the morning. I followed up last night again, and still no response. Now I look at the listing and its pending sold.

I'm dealing directly with listing brokers from now on.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
weird things are happening in India.

first government becomes less transparent. took citizen's donations for covid relief and not being transparent about it, saying that it's a trust(PM Cares) that does not come under transparency laws and on top of that making situations worst by their inactions and wrong actions.

now when other country's governments are fighting to protect user's privacy, the Indian government tries to take it away, they passed a law where it is required to tell the first originator of the message and other stuff.

now Facebook is suing the government of India for this law as it will take away the user's privacy.

Imagine how fu*ked up the system is when Facebook is fighting for user's privacy.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Programmers, what do you do when your software product is attacked by every single anti-virus software because it's not used often or whatever?

I am not sure but my guess is that you have to buy a security certificate.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

weird things are happening in India.

first government becomes less transparent. took citizen's donations for covid relief and not being transparent about it, saying that it's a trust(PM Cares) that does not come under transparency laws and on top of that making situations worst by their inactions and wrong actions.

now when other country's governments are fighting to protect user's privacy, the Indian government tries to take it away, they passed a law where it is required to tell the first originator of the message and other stuff.

now Facebook is suing the government of India for this law as it will take away the user's privacy.

Imagine how fu*ked up the system is when Facebook is fighting for user's privacy.
Freedom is being taken away everywhere all over the globe. I'm sorry to hear that. We have to fight for it and inform people, encourage them to stand up for their freedom. I am in the USA but we need to do this everywhere, including India.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

Is it installed software or SaaS or what, and what happens when users try to use it? Code signing is one issue, since OS's have started making it harder for less technical users to install non-siged packages. If it's web-based, all I can think of that would get in the way is not having proper TLS certificates (which is an internet security thing, but more of a guarantor than a cartel).

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Is it installed software or SaaS or what, and what happens when users try to use it? Code signing is one issue, since OS's have started making it harder for less technical users to install non-siged packages. If it's web-based, all I can think of that would get in the way is not having proper TLS certificates (which is an internet security thing, but more of a guarantor than a cartel).
It's a desktop application that uses a database.

AVG freaks out when we update it.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
It's a desktop application that uses a database.

AVG freaks out when we update it.
Oh, people use AVG? :rofl: It could be specific to the one av software... if you haven't already, definitely set up one or more machines / VMs with configurations that are typical for your users, including AVG if that's typical. I suspect you might be able to resolve the issue by renaming a package or checking the security of the update server's connection. OTOH, av products sometimes block legit things like Windows Update, or just everything, depending on the user's settings.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
If you have a big network of bright people and you aren't introducing people in that network to other people in that network, then you are missing out on big opportunities. It's an effective way to help people make a lot of money where you can get credit just for spending a few minutes to write an email.

Plus, after you've helped people this way, many will be eager to return the favor.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Real estate agents need to get off their high horses.

It's been 3 days since I sent my agent a development deal to get more info for me. She told me she's at an offer presentation day 1, I said okay no worries, send me the info in the morning. I followed up last night again, and still no response. Now I look at the listing and its pending sold.

I'm dealing directly with listing brokers from now on.
They all suck... Here’s to that entire line of work dying on the vine in the future. They don’t do ANYTHING any more.

We found our house on Trulia. Some agent gets 3 percent for posting the house on trulia and the other gets 3 percent for showing up and knowing how a lock works. What an inefficient joke. Each role should be flat rate $1000 bucks. And I’m being generous.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Quick question about something I've noticed about mainly product businesses on Dragons Den, low profit.

A woman was selling a simple, but custom, silicone product on Amazon. She was in the top 4 for her product category, and in year 1 and 2 she turned over £246k and £368k with a net profit of £11k and £14k (with no wage). Even in year 4, with 37% of sales coming from their own website, the net profit was only £85k (turnover £550k).

Maybe my view of how much profit a business should make is swayed by FLF but £35k profit, without a wage, seems incredibly low for over £600k turnover. I'm just using one example from the episode I'm currently watching but I hear these sorts of numbers a lot. I know Amazon take a cut, and you have packaging, returns, etc. but 6% profit seems awful? In 2014 I started a drop shipping store with 3 t-shirt designs and with 24k turnover the net profit was £11k. They still get investment so I guess it's not as bad as it seems. Is it normal for net profit to be this low or is it that the businesses with good net profits just don't need the investment from the show?

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Quick question about something I've noticed about mainly product businesses on Dragons Den, low profit.

A woman was selling a simple, but custom, silicone product on Amazon. She was in the top 4 for her product category, and in year 1 and 2 she turned over £246k and £368k with a net profit of £11k and £14k (with no wage). Even in year 4, with 37% of sales coming from their own website, the net profit was only £85k (turnover £550k).

Maybe my view of how much profit a business should make is swayed by FLF but £35k profit, without a wage, seems incredibly low for over £600k turnover. I'm just using one example from the episode I'm currently watching but I hear these sorts of numbers a lot. I know Amazon take a cut, and you have packaging, returns, etc. but 6% profit seems awful? In 2014 I started a drop shipping store with 3 t-shirt designs and with 24k turnover the net profit was £11k. They still get investment so I guess it's not as bad as it seems. Is it normal for net profit to be this low or is it that the businesses with good net profits just don't need the investment from the show?

I hear a lot of high volume low margin numbers from people in online retail (especially products that can be duplicated and aren't well protected by IP). It seems to be common in that industry, kindof like how restaurants are often not mega-money generators compared to their operating costs.

Seems like the people doing well in those kinds of businesses are the ones who find ways to scale into astronomical volumes. Basically they become so good at operations and finance that it makes up for the low margins of the products. So, you'll find them with 100s of products online (maybe by acquisition, maybe by continuously developing and marketing products), or 100s of restaurants, etc.

At a small scale, yes it sounds terrible to me too. Surely there are easier ways to make a modest middle class income. If you can scale big, then it's probably like anything else at scale... you're still rich lol. The low margins are a sign of high competition, either directly or with other products that soak up the same part of the customers' budgets. If you experience higher margins than others selling 'similar' products, it may be a sign that you've broken away from the commoditization that the rest of the market is settled into. Maybe the business even makes CENTS :playful:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I hear a lot of high volume low margin numbers from people in online retail (especially products that can be duplicated and aren't well protected by IP). It seems to be common in that industry, kindof like how restaurants are often not mega-money generators compared to their operating costs.

Seems like the people doing well in those kinds of businesses are the ones who find ways to scale into astronomical volumes. Basically they become so good at operations and finance that it makes up for the low margins of the products. So, you'll find them with 100s of products online (maybe by acquisition, maybe by continuously developing and marketing products), or 100s of restaurants, etc.

At a small scale, yes it sounds terrible to me too. Surely there are easier ways to make a modest middle class income. If you can scale big, then it's probably like anything else at scale... you're still rich lol. The low margins are a sign of high competition, either directly or with other products that soak up the same part of the customers' budgets. If you experience higher margins than others selling 'similar' products, it may be a sign that you've broken away from the commoditization that the rest of the market is settled into. Maybe the business even makes CENTS :playful:
“If you can scale big, then it's probably like anything else at scale... you're still rich lol.”

underrated line!!! Very important.

Almost anything that achieves Scale will likely make you rich or give you the opportunity to be rich from there.

I think so-called “influencers” prove this.

yes, even some of the worst businesses can make you rich if you actually manage to scale successfully (i.e. with a positive margin)!

D

Deleted78083

If you have a big network of bright people and you aren't introducing people in that network to other people in that network, then you are missing out on big opportunities. It's an effective way to help people make a lot of money where you can get credit just for spending a few minutes to write an email.

Plus, after you've helped people this way, many will be eager to return the favor.

When I did this they became better friends with one another and stopped inviting me.

Nice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am binging UX and web design courses on Youtube and just understood that a website is a sales letter.

Nice.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%