The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Yes.

Hang on, I just need to adjust my tin foil hat a moment. Ok, so...

<rant>

And the light bulb and cell phone companies too...

I recently thought to just reactivate my old razr flip phone. It actually still works 18ish years later, unlike every other phone I've owned since. Can you believe that? And batteries for that are cheap. Too bad 3G will be deprecated soon.

Damn. Ok, at least that is in the name of a faster, more capable 5G network. We're getting a trade off there.

I read this article today. Hard not to see this as intentional...

I seem to recall the ps4 being billed as the last console you'll need to buy. Totally upgradable. Or was that the ps3? Meh, who cares? Onto the ps5. Chuck more plastic electronics in landfills.

(Hang on, I have to check and make sure I'm in the rant thread. Yeah? Ok. To continue... )

It's an epidemic (pandemic?) of ever worsening quality and we consumers have been accepting it for ages. Planned obsolescence. Actually, it's worse, we reward companies for it.

What it is about us that we hafta have newer or flashier, as if those words are synonyms for better?

Does anyone know the name of the guy who invented the everlasting light bulb? Why not? That cheesy website is the best we can do? What do we really value here?

Why should we expect vaccines to be any different? This isn't the 1950's. We aren't curing polio in one shot.

Joseph Salk died poor. That's the real takeaway from the history of polio. Vaccine companies (I use the term loosely, as some of these companies that have never brought a vaccine to market before) can't have that.

Sssh, nobody pay too much attention to whether mutations are caused by vaccination, if it does, that'll just lead to increased demand for more vaccination. Winner winner.

Cure? Is anyone even working on one? Can we look into that? Do we cure anything anymore? Did that dream die with Jerry Lewis?

Is it just me, or did the flu vaccine prove the model? The only problem is the low rates of vaccine adoption. How can we fix that?

I swear somewhere along the line we as a society, as a world, got way too "smart" for our own good.

So this is what passes for vaccination in the new go go 2020's. Multiple uses, no liability, backed and purchased by government dollars and insurance pools with a strong arm government marketing campaign.

Anyone actually know how much this stuff costs? Can't wait to see next year's insurance premiums. Who says the government can't get anything done?

Frankly, the staunchest profiteers in the thread should be sitting in the front row taking notes at this masterclass of modern market principles. This ain't your granddaddy's free market...

</rant>

Woo, ok, got on a bit of a roll there. The tin foil stuff isn't my strong suit. How'd I do? :happy:

h/t to @WillHurtDontCare he shared that one article and I've been cheesed off about the vaccine companies ever since...
Dude @BizyDad this post was legendary and I love it!!

Yes, planned obsolescence is real.

And at the risk of being a nut job, yes I believe they are doing the same thing with the vaccines as a massive monopoly-meets-government money grab.

except with this one, it’s

“buy our product or else our (possibly man made) virus will kill you.”

The threatening nature of the monopoly! Wow! Lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

Brrr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Jul 28, 2019
Loved having the local council goons drop by posters with "you must wear a mask to enter this premises", "max *blank* number of people in the premises" as well as a self-certification that we are taking steps to comply with the law.

We are, obviously, why wouldn't we? But why the hell do we need to remind every single person at every possible moment of their day about one singular topic. Do they think people have been living under a rock? How much do they need to tarnish every possible normal interaction to make it about one single issue?

I asked my shop manager to just put all the posters in a draw and that our customers are smart enough to use their common sense. Sure enough council goons came round today to check why we hadn't put it up.

It's all so tiresome.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
View attachment 37610

If you get it... you get it..

0DzhW.gif

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Wow just saw covid restrictions are getting tighter in Ontario... dam, lockdown extended until May 20th, it's been over a year, :wideyed:

For everything bad that has happened in the world. I only blame one thing.

Canada.

#blamecanada

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Since we're talking about rona again...
This one's about getting around mask mandates you don't agree with, and some hacks I've learned.

If masks are required outside, walk around with an open water bottle and sip every time a cop drives by.

I've seen people get tickets and not me because of this. If someone gets shit from a cop, I tell them the trick. Sometimes hand out water if I have a spare bottle. Never, and I mean NEVER have I been confronted while drinking water. I don't leave the house without a bottle. It's the dumbest trick I've seen work.

Okay, another one.

If you're indoors and HAVE to wear one for a brief moment, the blue surgical masks have three layers (White Mesh -> Filter -> Blue Mesh). Cut out the white mesh and filter, and you're left with a semi-transparent blue mesh mask with loops. It renders it practically useless, but it's very breathable like it's not there, and technically legal according to our Executive Order ("Fabric covering nose and mouth"). I'll see what kind of reaction people give it tomorrow, but I expect strangers to be dumb enough from their oxygen deprivation diapers to not know the difference.

Figured I'd share for those living in "woke" places that haven't lessened their grip just yet, but may in due time.

Florida, Arizona, Texas peeps, I envy you. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Pharma has been carefully studying Zuora's sales deck...

View attachment 37611
Somewhere in a dark room at the end of a hallway:

Hey! If we can make vax last just 12 months,
(grabs laptop with Excel)
330 million people x 70 years life expectancy x $10 a shot
That's...$231 billion,do you hear me? 231 B-I-L-L-I-O-N

And kids, that's how PhDs in economics contribute in a field of chemistry.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Good In A Room (more of a sales book, but had good thoughts which can be applied to networking)

The Fine Art Of Small Talk (Good tips for beginners, or people trying to get comfortable with networking. If you have the gift of gab, skip this)

Never Eat Alone (Easily my favorite book on the subject. Several good ideas not mentioned in other books on the subject)
HEard of never eat alone. Read some bad reviews so I was reluctant to buy it. Have you applied any tactics from any of the books?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
HEard of never eat alone. Read some bad reviews so I was reluctant to buy it. Have you applied any tactics from any of the books?
Off the top of my head. From NEA...

In normal times, I look to have at least 1 lunch per week with someone I don't normally see. The priority I place on this is due to this book.

I send random pings to keep in touch and I diversify how I do it. (This is probably common in an era of rampant social media, but I read the book around the time I first got on Twitter).

When I host events, I often have an "anchor guest". Also, I actually look to host events more than I did before I read the book. Events could be as small as 4 people, but they are still events. I'm pretty sure how I invite people to things is also influenced from this book.

I'm sure I still use other things I read there. Its been more than a decade since I read it, but I still remember these three lessons. That should tell you something. But everyone gets different things from different books. YMMV.

The small talk book was more like a quick pep talk. Big rooms full of 100 people used to intimidate the crap outta me, I really had no idea how to work a room, or what I even would talk about. That book made me feel like it was possible, maybe even easy, that I could maybe even be good at it. I don't remember actionable tips though.

Good in a room is more of a basic sales book. But I remember it had good ideas about asking questions and following up and being interested in others. I am guilty of asking the worst question still (The worst question is some version of Am I Right?). I applied some of those tips to networking rooms. How do you sell in a networking space without people feeling like you are selling? I talk about how I used questions while networking in this post. HTH.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Where do you guys meet interesting people? Events, venues, etc.

Weird also works. I'd be happy to meet some dude who would tell me that he dumped his girlfriend because she didn't like the he owns 50 iguanas and that he plans to own 100 iguanas by the end of the year.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
If you're working on something important that will take years, document the process.

Words can't adequately describe how good it feels to look back on years of making no progress and going nowhere after you've started succeeding.

Cheers everyone.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
How do you guys keep track of sets and reps during a workout? A journal or an app?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
"... for what is yours to bestow is not yours to reserve."

“We do not own our possessions, our merits, our virtues, our graces, the things we are given by birth, anything that can be called a talent. This, by the way, is where the word ‘talent’ [from the parable of the 3 servants & talents in the Gospel of Matthew in modern usage comes from, in all the Western European languages. In the original Greek of the Gospel it is simply a sum of money, and because of this parable, it has come to mean any gift, any ability that we are born with, whether it be beauty, or artistic skill, or a business skill, or whatever. We do not own these things, they were given to us by God, we are only stewards of them, we hold them in trust. It is our job to put them to use in the world. A virtue, a grace, a skill, an ability, does not fully exist unless it is put into action. It merely withers away… Excellence of any kind must be given generously to the world, shared with the world, or it loses this value as excellence. And that includes beauty - it is selfish merely to sit and look in a mirror or to enclose yourself in a self-made cloister, as Olivia is doing. Our talents are the gift of God and nature, and we must render an accounting of our use for them."

-William Shakespeare: Comédies and Tragedy - A Great Courses Series

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
They send my son’s hearing test results to the state. Why? What possible reason does the mafia need to know the results of my sons hearing test? Which he passed, by the way.

The nurse said they do that “so we can make sure he’s all healthy” with a big smile on her face. Stockholm syndrome. Did you not just test it and find that he’s all healthy? Now you need to take your findings and send them to the government just to be sure? Joke.

Get me out of this place. The hospital and this communist shithole country.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
They send my son’s hearing test results to the state. Why? What possible reason does the mafia need to know the results of my sons hearing test? Which he passed, by the way.

The nurse said they do that “so we can make sure he’s all healthy” with a big smile on her face. Stockholm syndrome. Did you not just test it and find that he’s all healthy? Now you need to take your findings and send them to the government just to be sure? Joke.

Wait what!?! Your son! Congrats to you both and welcome Kak Jnr.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What possible reason does the mafia need to know the results of my sons hearing test? Which he passed by the way.

Congratulations, I'm assuming new baby? I'm guessing if he was born deaf, you might be eligible for some state-funded special-education services? Perhaps the policy isn't as nefarious as you think, but yea, WTF?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Wait what!?! Your son! Congrats to you both and welcome Kak Jnr.

Congratulations, I'm assuming new baby? I'm guessing if he was born deaf, you might be eligible for some state-funded special-education services? Perhaps the policy isn't as nefarious as you think, but yea, WTF?

Thanks guys! Yes! New healthy baby and healthy mom.

I have had little for sleep since late Saturday night and then they come talk to me about government mandates on my 1.5 day old son. Gross. GTFOOH creepy communist Uncle Sam.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Thanks guys! Yes! New healthy baby and healthy mom.

I have had little for sleep since late Saturday night and then they come talk to me about government mandates on my 1.5 day old son. Gross. GTFOOH creepy communist Uncle Sam.

I feel you buddy. Congrats :)

It was all I could do not to attack with my teeth when something/someone came near my newborn, and appeared threatening in any way. Which, at the time, was everything. We're probably wired similarly :)

Peace and love... take care of that baby!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
A1136A39-6ACA-4441-B4CC-FC6C98D47492.jpegWelcome to Amerika now do what I say and you’ll be free!

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
except with this one, it’s

“buy our product or else our (possibly man made) virus will kill you.”

The threatening nature of the monopoly! Wow! Lol

Worse. With that dumb "vaccine passport" that governments are working on it is:

"buy our product or you can't live anymore". See if you can avoid vaccination when you can't go grocery shopping without it. I see idiots in my country praising the government for this act of bravery.

How do these people want more government???

For the record, over 100k people died in Italy. Yes, that is awful, death is a serious issue. What about the million or so people who have been out of work for 14 months and that are going to be homeless soon? Do they not matter? We sacrificed the lives of million of people in the name of..."public health"...whatever that means.

And what about the other thousands upon thousands of people who fell into depression? These don't matter either. Get F*cked.

D

Deleted78083

Good In A Room (more of a sales book, but had good thoughts which can be applied to networking)

The Fine Art Of Small Talk (Good tips for beginners, or people trying to get comfortable with networking. If you have the gift of gab, skip this)

Never Eat Alone (Easily my favorite book on the subject. Several good ideas not mentioned in other books on the subject)
Excellent list, i would add to that "charisma on command" by charlie houpert.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Relax... they are just looking for a new recruit for the CIA, it's a part of the process.

You should be receiving a phone call within 5-7 business days

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.