The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Dopefish1337

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 12, 2017
Norway
I choose to put my focus on things I can control. My business, my well-being.

Ah, I love this so much. If only more people thought like you!
Everyday at work, at lunch time, people whine and moan about things they have ZERO control over. One of the biggest reasons I don't like eating lunch with my colleagues lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I think Musk has finally lost his damn mind.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Quick GET IN! WE ARE LATE FOR WORK!

OMG that's insane. Imagine that on a NY Subway and how many fights and murders would come from it.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Attention automakers: no one wants to buy “futuristic” looking cars. Just make cars look normal. Sincerely, everybody.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Random question that I don't think warrants it's own thread lol.

I was reading this guru the other day and one thing they suggested was you need to realize when attempting to help those around you, that you ultimately have zero power/control over anyone but yourself, and need to let go of that need for "control". I've heard this mantra many times and it seems widely accepted. Do you guys actually agree?

It had me thinking.... it seems like a nice sentiment because nobody wants the burden of knowing they could change other people's live. I have reasonable control to influence my fiance, family, and friends lives. And the more successful I've become, the more I've been able to positively influence their life and life choices.

Thoughts?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I was reading this guru the other day and one thing they suggested was you need to realize when attempting to help those around you, that you ultimately have zero power/control over anyone but yourself, and need to let go of that need for "control". I've heard this mantra many times and it seems widely accepted. Do you guys actually agree?

It had me thinking.... it seems like a nice sentiment because nobody wants the burden of knowing they could change other people's live. I have reasonable control to influence my fiance, family, and friends lives. And the more successful I've become, the more I've been able to positively influence their life and life choices.

Thoughts?

Totally agree. The old, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink."

If you try to control what cannot be controlled, anxiety is the result. Unhappiness.

Focus on your happiness -- which might actually impact those around you. (As you already mentioned has begun!)

Dopefish1337

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 12, 2017
Norway

Thoughts?
Reminds me of the old saying.. "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it"

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Thoughts?
I like helping people. I’m not responsible for other people’s happiness though.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I would argue that this is only applicable if you add a caveat and say, "IF you are prone to trying to control the people you help, THEN you should let go of that need."

Helping people doesn't intrinsically imply that you're simultaneously trying to control them.

By this logic, every teacher who has taught a child to read would be guilty of doing something "wrong."

As if teaching a child to read is some power trip with a hidden agenda and the teacher needs to back off.

"Yeah, I'm helping these kids learn to read, but I ultimately have zero power/control over them, so I'll just let go of that need. :Shrug: IDK if they'll ever learn to read, but hey, at least I'm not controlling people."

In fact, I would go as far as to say that the teacher is right to exert effort and creativity and persistence in NOT letting go until the children learn to read.

In certain applications, yeah, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

But I think as a blanket statement, it doesn't work.

It paints "helping others" in an unnecessarily negative light through a false correlation with control.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016

I would be very careful about that guru (or any other that says it).

This is their theme - "You are responsible for you emotion, You are responsible for your life", next thing they do is they manipulate you according to their plan and suck everything you have out.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Attention automakers: no one wants to buy “futuristic” looking cars. Just make cars look normal. Sincerely, everybody.

I would friendly disagree ;) not that i need car made with 6 straight lines, but recently every car looks the same. I can't tell difference between Ford, Opel or even Mercedes, that recently looks like everything else.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada

Thoughts?
There shouldn't be any burden. It becomes apparent pretty quickly when someone wants help and is ready to change there situation, and when someone isn't wanting to change for the better. You can only help the former, and accept the latter for what they are. Topic of boundaries comes to mind.

Think the word control here is being mixed in to describe helping people around you. Instead should think of any help you can give as a gift. A gift doesn't require anything in return.

Then the question is, is this gift actually helping someone? Or just further enabling there behavior.

If you require control of the people that you want to help, then you will learn that people do what they want when they want. Which is how rifts form.

You can only have as much influence as a person allows.

So yes, you can only control yourself and who you allow to enter your world. It's easier to change how you interact with certain people, Than to try change someone who isn't concerned about changing.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
OMG that's insane. Imagine that on a NY Subway and how many fights and murders would come from it.
In Japan people would get a running start and cram into the train like sardines. Once everyone was on it was quiet as hell. If you closed your eyes you wouldn't even know you were in a jam packed train, except of course for the 10 people squished against you.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

View attachment 29764
yeah, but I want one now ... so maybe I have too?

Why I want one:
1) its relatively inexpensive for its specs
2) I think it would be a good family car - hard to ding, hard to break, carries a lot of stuff
3) It looks completely different from my silver Honda Accord, which looks so similar to so many other cars that I've tried to get into other cars without thinking. One time, I even opened another car and started to get in before I realized it wasn't mine.

I'm about as straight laced as they come - my dream car is typically a high end Mercedes, but yet, I find this appealing.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

View attachment 29764

this car is going to spawn a lot of creativity. I'm already imagining how I'm going to wrap mine. I mean you can put any type of headlights or eyeballs on it, or make a shark face on the front. it's a blank canvas!

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Do you still find yourself following scripted mindsets from time to time? If so - what are the hardest ones to break?

For me, I think it's the "do it myself" mindset when you can pay someone. I bought a $1300 couch on the weekend and delivery was an additional $80. For some reason, I opted to rent a truck for $30 and pick it up myself, the truck I booked was late coming back so I ended up spending a total of 4 hours to save $50.

Last time I checked, I don't work for $12.50! What the hell Trey!!!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, this just came across my email today about a buyer looking to buy a business.

Matt is looking for:
Business Model: eCommerce, Affiliate, or Content
Business Age: 2 years +
Annual Net Profit: $150,000 +
Budget: Buyer is SBA approved up to $2MM. Open to seller financing.
Industry agnostic, but looking for a business that requires no more than 10 hours each week for operations.

This is my gut opinion of this guy. Someone looking for $150k but less than 10 hours of work a week. This guy probably has $50k saved up, looking for a 5-10% down business with seller financing plus SBA loan. I would never seller finance my business with this type of ask.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
this car is going to spawn a lot of creativity. I'm already imagining how I'm going to wrap mine. I mean you can put any type of headlights or eyeballs on it, or make a shark face on the front. it's a blank canvas!
I'm feeling ya!29960

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
For some reason Youtube thinks i'm Chinese-Japanese, interested in website development and stock trading. Thats at least how their ads are targeted recently.lol.

P.S. A tip for those who might wonder how: I don't use adblock on FLF ;).

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
One 100% Sure-Fire Way To Get Passive Income:
Make YouTube Video About 10 Ways To The Passive Income

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I just went to the gas station to pickup a huge red bull (working on my website)

Had a pocketfull of coins and the guy behind me offered to pay for it. I've got some karma to dish out!

George Costanza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Feb 18, 2019
Israel
I am feeling really down, anxious, and worrisome about the future.
I want to tell my dad I don't want to go to University after all, and that I prefer to work and save money for now, while working on other stuff.

Problem is - I have not been taking any action, and I've been procrastinating out of my mind.
I want to make YouTube videos - but I am not taking action.
I have worked on a script for an hour two days ago, but it has 400 and is still incomplete.
It feels like I have many mental blocks stopping me from taking action - and the only way to fix that... is to take action.

(I also want to be more active on the fastlane forums and have it as a replacement to wasting my time posting random shit in Discord groups).
/rant

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
I am feeling really down, anxious, and worrisome about the future.
I want to tell my dad I don't want to go to University after all, and that I prefer to work and save money for now, while working on other stuff.

Problem is - I have not been taking any action, and I've been procrastinating out of my mind.
I want to make YouTube videos - but I am not taking action.
I have worked on a script for an hour two days ago, but it has 400 and is still incomplete.
It feels like I have many mental blocks stopping me from taking action - and the only way to fix that... is to take action.

(I also want to be more active on the fastlane forums and have it as a replacement to wasting my time posting random shit in Discord groups).
/rant

What kind of Youtube videos do you want to create? And why?

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I just listened to business radio. And suddenly a flash back,
someone is shouting:
"System that values work over wealth!".

You don't have to live for long on this planet to know who's idea it is. The guy has second name starting on "M" and ending with "x".

Let's extrapolate:
The guy has ideas that spreads
Then, one guy hates it (i.e. his second name starts with "H" and ends with "l")
Then, we have a thing with starting with "W" and ending with "III"

Whoever saying things like this is setting up world for next "H"&"l" and for "W"&"III".

You might think that's all but then i realized something:
It's obvious why THEY do it. Its getting feeling of power, self importance and measly $400K wage for 4 years.

But what people that listen to them have from it?

They are raving, screaming, shouting like they ware at rockstar event.
Short excitement?
Betting-like high when you bet basically on random and win or loose?

Or maybe its narcissism?
Look, there was scientific research into top singles and their titles and first few lines.
Common factor?
Most top singles had word "You" in title or first lines of song.
So when they hear that someone talks about "them"
they feel like they took acid or something.

When you think about it makes sense.
If leader do it for his grandiose self importance than he will resonate
with people who are narcissists.

The only thing that worries me is this number: 55.7%.
This number is how much of voting population voted.
This number means that more than half of population
has distorted self image or has inclination to show it,
when prompted.

I understand that some of you might feel pissed being
called out or something and will do their best to
"destroy this theory!" or tell me that i can't generalize.

But, in all calmness and seriousness:
If that is not the real explanation,
than
what
is?

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
I just feel lost in the sauce. With two auto loans, a mortgage, and student loans, I probably have a ballpark debt around the 350K mark. Not quite a million dollars, but enough to wish for a do over. I do not lack motivation as I am about to complete my Masters in Radiology and have a bachelors in healthcare administration, but I was never taught or knew about entrepreneurship. I always have been conned into the belief that you had to be filthy rich to own your own business or borrow six figure digits. I wish I would have read TMF and Unscripted as a young naive 17 year old boy before venturing out into the world. I know I want to start my own business (not franchise and not a sub par local establishment) , but I have yet to possess the knowledge to understand what my true purpose is in life. I know I enjoy helping people and I enjoy going to the gym, watching football, being outdoors when the weather is nice, exotic cars, and making people laugh. I just feel like the hamster in the cage running in the wheel. Maybe one day my niche will come to light, but right now I don't know.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The only thing that worries me is this number: 55.7%.
This number is how much of voting population voted.

Fun fact: this figure has barely changed since the 1920s. Just thought I'd share. Even when women got the right to vote, then every race, etc. People don't go vote. Good? Bad? idk anymore since the representatives are all made from the same material, no matter the school of thought.

Maybe one day my niche will come to light

No man, you gotta dig. Can't wait for it to light up like a lightbulb. Go actively searching for it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.