The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I agree with both of your points, I’m not suggesting you should do everything yoursefl, just that there is an advantage to having the know-how (ie, being able to do it if needed).

There are parts of my business operation that I’ve helped build, but have taken a life of their own, and developed past the point where I know all the details involved, things that I haven’t put my attention on for many months.

An example is building prospecting lists — I’ve helped develop our own tool to do it, and our own process. But I can’t possibly manage it for 70+ customers, so it’s all done by others. The process has been improved since I’ve first created it, I have no idea how. So long as there aren’t problems/complaints from customers I won’t give it another look or get involved — I simply don’t even want to know about it because it’s not a priority.

So I’m not suggesting you do tasks yourself just because you can do them or even just because you’re better than someone else at it. Indeed you can be better than your team members and very often you should still not do it.

But… there are situations when you SHOULD do it, and that’s when it pays to have the know-how. For example, now I’m building an app. If I assigned this to a developer it would take at least 3 months, he doesn’t know exactly what I want (hell, I don’t know what I want — what I want changes based on what’s possible and how certain technologies/APIs work), and he would charge me $10K.

Idk about you, but I’m not happy to wait that long or risk $10K, and then depend on a dev to make the thousand and one changes I need and waste a few other months getting it done. Such things, esp. since they are very important to the growth of the business are better done quickly by me.

Better to put in the hard work myself for 2 weeks, and possibly bring in someone else once it has a solid foundation that I know and understand to expand it.

I wouldn’t be able to do something like this, as fast as I am doing it, if I didn’t have the skills, that’s my point.
I get what you're saying.

The worst is when you need to hand a role over to someone else that isn't as good at it as you. All you gain is time, no capability growth.

It makes it ever the more tempting to do it yourself.

Might I argue though that your time is much better served at the helm than swabbing the decks. Because we have limited time as mere mortals, there is an opportunity cost of not doing what you are best at (or most effective at) . For me that has to be a role that scales. Leadership.

As long as the leadership isn't suffering neglect though, have at it. I swab some decks too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
The worst is when you need to hand a role over to someone else that isn't as good at it as you. All you gain is time, no capability growth.
No, you don't gain time. When they are less capable, you will trust them less, and you will watch them more. Because you have set a certain standard for your business.

At least this has been my experience. I traded my "do it" hat for a "manage it" hat, but I still occasionally hop in and do it too. I feel like I am constantly teaching and preaching.

I don't really know why this is much of a debate. There are many ways to build a business. Everyone is right. Being "the guy" has some excellent advantages. And building a team has some excellent advantages.

Reminds me of the proverb:

If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
First, everyone you name has a relatively completed resume. Only one person on your list is under the age of 50. Very few of them achieved Billionaires status by 33. So the comparison is a little bit apples and oranges.

Second, if we had a crystal ball and could look back 100 years from now, what if I told you that the attention industry became the predominant industry of the next 30 years? What if social media and personal branding isn't just a fad but actually the predominant way things start getting done.

This isn’t a good argument because …

Few know that Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift are among the top business people of all time.

Those who laugh at this statement don't know what it takes to succeed.

I rest my case. :)

Jokes are funniest when they are true.

But, jokes aside, while I accept your attempts to pivot from a stupid confident post to an elaborate argument; the conclusions that require us to live another 100 years - that I don’t accept.

Even if TS becomes the greatest ever in history of all businesswomen and businessmen in the next 10-30 years, today she’s not.

Achieving a billionaire status by 33 is impressive, but now you are conflicting your own argument - for someone like John D. Rockefeller never was a billionaire! Are you saying he was poorer than TS? ;)

I’ll put TS on the top entertainer, similar to the greats like Michael Jackson - he too did amazing things to earn amazing (almost a billionaire returns). These people will go down in history as some of the greatest entertainers we’ve ever seen, no question there. But they aren’t “top business people of all time”.

I agree with both of your points, I’m not suggesting you should do everything yoursefl, just that there is an advantage to having the know-how (ie, being able to do it if needed).

There are parts of my business operation that I’ve helped build, but have taken a life of their own, and developed past the point where I know all the details involved, things that I haven’t put my attention on for many months.

An example is building prospecting lists — I’ve helped develop our own tool to do it, and our own process. But I can’t possibly manage it for 70+ customers, so it’s all done by others. The process has been improved since I’ve first created it, I have no idea how. So long as there aren’t problems/complaints from customers I won’t give it another look or get involved — I simply don’t even want to know about it because it’s not a priority.

So I’m not suggesting you do tasks yourself just because you can do them or even just because you’re better than someone else at it. Indeed you can be better than your team members and very often you should still not do it.

But… there are situations when you SHOULD do it, and that’s when it pays to have the know-how. For example, now I’m building an app. If I assigned this to a developer it would take at least 3 months, he doesn’t know exactly what I want (hell, I don’t know what I want — what I want changes based on what’s possible and how certain technologies/APIs work), and he would charge me $10K.

Idk about you, but I’m not happy to wait that long or risk $10K, and then depend on a dev to make the thousand and one changes I need and waste a few other months getting it done. Such things, esp. since they are very important to the growth of the business are better done quickly by me.

Better to put in the hard work myself for 2 weeks, and possibly bring in someone else once it has a solid foundation that I know and understand to expand it.

I wouldn’t be able to do something like this, as fast as I am doing it, if I didn’t have the skills, that’s my point.

I think we are on the same page, there is no confusion here.

1. You are not saying that you do every task yourself, as you shouldn’t and we all agree to that.
2. You ARE saying that knowing how to do every task is better than not knowing. I’d agree to that as well, if knowing how to do every task better than others was feasible…
3. You ARE saying that you prefer building your business this way and I disagree with that.

Your example of $10K payment, in my industry I see it like a legal document that costs me $10K and I need it done ASAP. I have the skills that I developed over a decade plus to do it myself (I am not a lawyer, just did enough over my career), but if I am pinched for time, I always prefer to pay my lawyer to do it and you prefer to do it yourself. I get it, it’s a different approach.

So let me offer an analogy:
Imagine a business is like building a car. Now you want to have a full on production set up. You have a garage where you can take existing parts from all over (like new and junk yards) and you have the skills to do EVERYTHING yourself. You’ve hired a few mechanics that are now following YOUR leadership and are doing things YOUR way… why? Because YOU know better, you’ve done every task yourself.

I have a problem with that.

I think it’s smug and often complete wrong to think that I know best. I may know SOME things best, but not ALL thins best. I’d rather hire great people and get out of their way, let them show me how to do it even better than I know. Steve Jobs wasn’t the best programmer! Henry Ford wasn’t the best mechanic.

What I am telling you, and hopefully you find it actionable for your own business… your way of thinking today can become detrimental later. You may have a hard time passing on tasks or trusting anyone to do a better job than you. It becomes super hard to grow your business with that mindset. It creates this “me vs them” attitude you describe with your employees. Yet I found people to be motivated on their own, in their own way. Great employees don’t need me to “motivate them”. Not at all. They’ll do amazing work, stay late, deliver results - because we (humans) love achieving things. We love those wins. And when I raise the standards of expected performance at the office, we collectively do better work.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
No, you don't gain time. When they are less capable, you will trust them less, and you will watch them more. Because you have set a certain standard for your business.

At least this has been my experience. I traded my "do it" hat for a "manage it" hat, but I still occasionally hop in and do it too. I feel like I am constantly teaching and preaching.

I don't really know why this is much of a debate. There are many ways to build a business. Everyone is right. Being "the guy" has some excellent advantages. And building a team has some excellent advantages.

Reminds me of the proverb:

If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.
That's the problem, but imagine you've been doing something a certain way for a long time, and you're damn good at it, but it's task work and needs to go.

So, you bring in someone who is great as what they do, and good work is hard to find. They're awesome, by your own metrics, they're just not as good as you at that.

This is the problem I'm dealing with in the business development side of my business. I personally deal with about 10 very large customers on the polyurethane side, that's it. That's the industry. We have other business dev work being done as a company, but I've been handling polys.

I see strategies by having my hands in this part of the business that I use as CEO, and I have been reluctant to give it up to someone I know won't replicate the attention and consideration I've given this.

It does have to go, but that person, whoever they are, and whenever I'm ready to do it, is going to be my biggest leadership leap in my business I'll probably ever make.

Accounting, whatever. Operations, whatever. Logistics, whatever. Buyer and Supply relations. All are important, but it isn't rocket science.

Maintaining strong relationships with Fortune 500 companies... THAT is a tough role to give up.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Completely random but that's what this thread is for, right?

If you don't have a passport, you're a slave to your home country.

I have friends who are over 30 and don't have a passport and never applied for one. Yet they're often the same people who keep talking about post-apocalyptic scenarios and/or a local collapse. But in case of an emergency they wouldn't even be able to enter another country.

Europeans have it easier because we can travel to any EU country with a national identity card but for other countries not having a passport is super scary.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Completely random but that's what this thread is for, right?

I have friends who are over 30 and don't have a passport and never applied for one. Yet they're often the same people who keep talking about post-apocalyptic scenarios and/or a local collapse. But in case of an emergency they wouldn't even be able to enter another country.

Europeans have it easier because we can travel to any EU country with a national identity card but for other countries not having a passport is super scary.
A person without a passport is a bizarre thing to me.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Ahhh passports. We are literally filling one out right now for my daughter, then off to the office to send it all away

I want to know who writes these instruction sheets. I'm not exactly the smartest person, but I'm not an idiot either. Nearly every step is confusing as hell on these things.

I'm glad doing this is not a regular occurrence. Seeing my daughter's passport with her picture at like 3 months old is pretty funny though. Yup, that's a valid representation of how she looks.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I rest my case. :)

Jokes are funniest when they are true.

But, jokes aside, while I accept your attempts to pivot from a stupid confident post to an elaborate argument; the conclusions that require us to live another 100 years - that I don’t accept.

Even if TS becomes the greatest ever in history of all businesswomen and businessmen in the next 10-30 years, today she’s not.

Achieving a billionaire status by 33 is impressive, but now you are conflicting your own argument - for someone like John D. Rockefeller never was a billionaire! Are you saying he was poorer than TS? ;)

I’ll put TS on the top entertainer, similar to the greats like Michael Jackson - he too did amazing things to earn amazing (almost a billionaire returns). These people will go down in history as some of the greatest entertainers we’ve ever seen, no question there. But they aren’t “top business people of all time”.

1. Rockefeller was a billionaire. Estimates at 1.3B in the middle of the depression. Come on now. Besides, I didn't think this discussion required the use of the term "inflation adjusted" because DUH. You're being pedantic.
2. Speaking of pedantic, my argument doesn't "require" a 100 year timeline. It's a rhetorical device to get you to open up your closed mindset.
3. Your argument can be boiled down to "entertainers aren't real business people" or perhaps "entertainment isn't a real business." Agree to disagree.

Since you poo-poo'ed money as a standard, I do wonder what your standard is to be considered an all time great in business? Your business impact being measured by the Fed and economists, as well as your business being taught and studied in universities are two solid standards for all time great status, and you conveniently didn't mention those.

Here's another question. If Phil Knight is an all time great businessman, why isn't Michael Jordan? MJ influenced and affected at least 3 industries. And how much weight does brand factor into the discussion of all time great business people?

At what age did freaking Zuckerberg make your list? It certainly wasn't around the time he stole the idea for Facebook. Was it when stole the idea for the like button? Or when he stole the idea for Facebook log ins? Places? Video in feeds? Stole the idea to build a server side of his business? Maybe when he rebranded into Meta and failed at that experiment too?

The guy has had zero innovations of his own.

So I'm guessing it was probably around the time he became a billionaire.

Again, what is the standard to be "an all time great"?

Ahhh passports. We are literally filling one out right now for my daughter, then off to the office to send it all away

I want to know who writes these instruction sheets. I'm not exactly the smartest person, but I'm not an idiot either. Nearly every step is confusing as hell on these things.

I'm glad doing this is not a regular occurrence. Seeing my daughter's passport with her picture at like 3 months old is pretty funny though. Yup, that's a valid representation of how she looks.

Same. Have the applications sitting on my desk.

That's the problem, but imagine you've been doing something a certain way for a long time, and you're damn good at it, but it's task work and needs to go.

So, you bring in someone who is great as what they do, and good work is hard to find. They're awesome, by your own metrics, they're just not as good as you at that.

This is the problem I'm dealing with in the business development side of my business. I personally deal with about 10 very large customers on the polyurethane side, that's it. That's the industry. We have other business dev work being done as a company, but I've been handling polys.

I see strategies by having my hands in this part of the business that I use as CEO, and I have been reluctant to give it up to someone I know won't replicate the attention and consideration I've given this.

It does have to go, but that person, whoever they are, and whenever I'm ready to do it, is going to be my biggest leadership leap in my business I'll probably ever make.

Accounting, whatever. Operations, whatever. Logistics, whatever. Buyer and Supply relations. All are important, but it isn't rocket science.

Maintaining strong relationships with Fortune 500 companies... THAT is a tough role to give up.

This feels like an "easy" fix. Who is your top competitor for this poly business? Can you hire their top sales person?

Alternatively, who are the top sales people for these poly businesses?

You say giving up this role is tough. It is not any tougher for you to give up that role than it is for Black dragon to give up any number of the hats he wears.

The thing that's tough is changing (both of) your mindset(s) on the amount of weight you're placing on that role. Black dragon thinks every role is crucial. You think that one role is crucial.

And implicitly (both of) your bias is that no one is better than you at it.

But you (Kak) told a story about trying to save a company 1.5 million, and they wouldn't go with you.

Maybe a different salesperson could've earned that project because he wasn't trying to sell on price.

I'm saying maybe because I obviously don't have the full story. Nor do I need it to make the point that there is absolutely a better sales person out there than you for this industry.

You just have to find them, and you haven't bothered looking too hard. Maybe you don't see it as a problem, so it doesn't need to be solved.

That's cool.

Maybe you like selling the Fortune 500 companies and want to keep the role for yourself.

That's cool too.

But objectively speaking, this isn't a tough role to give up. This is objectively false because every day thousands of people are maintaining relationships with fortune 500 companies. They get hired and fired.

Respectfully, you sound like you have a limited mindset about this issue.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
Honestly, BizyDad does have a point, though it's in my view that trying to categorize the top entrepreneurs is a bit lackluster in of itself.

This conversation can be ended quite pragmatically then, no? By most definitions, entrepreneurship is the process of acting upon an idea to disrupt a market with a new product or a service, with the expected return of accruing wealth. Thus, being an entrepreneur requires you to disrupt a market with a new product (in TS' case, her music), at which point she accrued a large amount of wealth from it. Is innovation necessary for entrepreneurship? I'd argue no.

If we categorize being a "top" entrepreneur simply by money earned from business ventures, then I'd argue Taylor Swift's 1.1 Billion USD net work places her in a pretty cozy spot. If we categorize being a "top" entrepreneur simply by how much a product has changed the world, then I'd argue Taylor Swift's music has been heard even by people who aren't fans of hers, and has shifted pop music in many ways.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Well we still made all kinds of errors on the paperwork. What's my relationship to my wife, not my daughter, even though my daughter is getting the passport. My wife fills it out so she is the applicant, but sometimes it refers to the one getting the passport as the applicant. Can't make this too simple I guess, the government created it.

Either way it's over and done with for a couple years now.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Was walking into the gym, while I saw some guys that I knew walking out, we chatted and they said have a good work out.

I said you too.:rofl:

I think the waking up early for school is beginning to get to me..

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
1. Rockefeller was a billionaire. Estimates at 1.3B in the middle of the depression. Come on now. Besides, I didn't think this discussion required the use of the term "inflation adjusted" because DUH. You're being pedantic.
2. Speaking of pedantic, my argument doesn't "require" a 100 year timeline. It's a rhetorical device to get you to open up your closed mindset.
3. Your argument can be boiled down to "entertainers aren't real business people" or perhaps "entertainment isn't a real business." Agree to disagree.

Since you poo-poo'ed money as a standard, I do wonder what your standard is to be considered an all time great in business? Your business impact being measured by the Fed and economists, as well as your business being taught and studied in universities are two solid standards for all time great status, and you conveniently didn't mention those.

Here's another question. If Phil Knight is an all time great businessman, why isn't Michael Jordan? MJ influenced and affected at least 3 industries. And how much weight does brand factor into the discussion of all time great business people?

At what age did freaking Zuckerberg make your list? It certainly wasn't around the time he stole the idea for Facebook. Was it when stole the idea for the like button? Or when he stole the idea for Facebook log ins? Places? Video in feeds? Stole the idea to build a server side of his business? Maybe when he rebranded into Meta and failed at that experiment too?

The guy has had zero innovations of his own.

So I'm guessing it was probably around the time he became a billionaire.

Again, what is the standard to be "an all time great"?

Same. Have the applications sitting on my desk.

This feels like an "easy" fix. Who is your top competitor for this poly business? Can you hire their top sales person?

Alternatively, who are the top sales people for these poly businesses?

You say giving up this role is tough. It is not any tougher for you to give up that role than it is for Black dragon to give up any number of the hats he wears.

The thing that's tough is changing (both of) your mindset(s) on the amount of weight you're placing on that role. Black dragon thinks every role is crucial. You think that one role is crucial.

And implicitly (both of) your bias is that no one is better than you at it.

But you (Kak) told a story about trying to save a company 1.5 million, and they wouldn't go with you.

Maybe a different salesperson could've earned that project because he wasn't trying to sell on price.

I'm saying maybe because I obviously don't have the full story. Nor do I need it to make the point that there is absolutely a better sales person out there than you for this industry.

You just have to find them, and you haven't bothered looking too hard. Maybe you don't see it as a problem, so it doesn't need to be solved.

That's cool.

Maybe you like selling the Fortune 500 companies and want to keep the role for yourself.

That's cool too.

But objectively speaking, this isn't a tough role to give up. This is objectively false because every day thousands of people are maintaining relationships with fortune 500 companies. They get hired and fired.

Respectfully, you sound like you have a limited mindset about this issue.
I have something I always say about leadership. "No one, not one person, is going to be as excited about your business as you, the one who owns it." It's a universal truth.

I have taken very extensive ownership in this position. I stand by my statement, despite your shockingly aggressive BS, that no one will take the kind of ownership in this position that I have. You have no idea what I've put into this. You just don't.

I don't care about sales talent. I have been more attentive to the needs of these companies than an employee ever would be, and that is precisely why we have gotten somewhere.

The 1.5 million savings comment earlier was talking about the importance of these companies' supply chains. The point was that 1.5 in savings was not enough for them to risk their relationship with their current supplier. Some companies will give it a go, others are more conservative. 1.5 is not a lot of money to these companies.

In any case, I have admitted staffing this position is something I absolutely have to do. It's not some excuse. I fully intend to do it. I just said it would be hard for me. Just being honest. It will be. No oversimplification or backhandedness change that.

Last edited:

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I have something I always say about leadership. "No one, not one person, is going to be as excited about your business as you, the one who owns it." It's a universal truth.

I have taken very extensive ownership in this position. I stand by my statement, despite your shockingly aggressive BS, that no one will take the kind of ownership in this position that I have. You have no idea what I've put into this. You just don't.

I don't care about sales talent. I have been more attentive to the needs of these companies than an employee ever would be, and that is precisely why we have gotten somewhere.

The 1.5 million savings comment earlier was talking about the importance of these companies' supply chains. The point was that 1.5 in savings was not enough for them to risk their relationship with their current supplier. Some companies will give it a go, others are more conservative. 1.5 is not a lot of money to these companies.

I any case, I have admitted staffing this position is something I absolutely have to do. It's not some excuse. I fully intend to do it. I just said it would be hard for me. Just being honest. It will be. No oversimplification and bizarre insults change that.

Quote my "bizarre insult". I'll wait.

My point was someone already has the relationships you are looking to build. There are people on this planet that have been in this industry longer, are more experienced with the personalities, and already have the relationships you are building.

They also have greater sales figures in this industry than you have. I'm not saying look for nebulous "sales talent". I'm saying look for someone who's gotten the RESULTS you want.

Find them. Hire them. I suggested two places.

How is any of that insulting?

You expressed a problem and talked about how hard it is. I tried to help you see it's solution is likely not as hard as you think it is.

The advice I gave you is no different than advice you and others give to hundreds of people on this forum regularly.

And the fact that no one knows what anyone else has truly been through or put into anything has never stopped us from challenging others to do better.

But like so many others you took it personally, got defensive and started lashing out.

I didn't hurl insults or get aggressive, but you sure perceived them. The thing that shocks me is how sensitive you are when challenged, considering how little you back down from challenging others.

You act like a small market (10 prospects) and fortune 500 ranking makes sales vastly different. But everyone feels like their situation is vastly different.

Sales is sales bro. And I can say this confidently because I trained two people in their first sales jobs who in their current position as owners also sell to fortune 500 companies. They both tell me the skills and tactics I gave them are the backbone of what they do now.

Your situation isn't unique Kak. But of course you've built it up in your mind, this is your baby we're talking about.

Take the feedback, don't take the feedback, I don't care. I write my posts to help the person I'm responding to, and the others who read along.

In the end none of this changes the fact that I am rooting for your success. I hope you crack the code and I hope you find hiring for this position as rewarding as it could be.

Generally speaking, I agree with this. Especially for small businesses.

But this isn't a universal truth about leadership. This is a belief that helps you make decisions. It is a pretty solid guidepost.

Most guys can name a sports team where the employees are way more excited or care more about the business than the bad owner does.

There are also absentee owners who are dispassionate about owning. Their President or GM often cares more. Publicly traded companies also fall into this category.

And some leaders can build a cult like following to where their employees are radically committed to the mission of the business.

And there are leadership lessons to be learn from these situations.

I have a personal exception to this "rule". I think I've told this story before, but I'll tell it again.

There was a point during my divorce I was fully contemplating shutting down my agency and moving on to something else. I had a rough few months, a really rough week, a couple of people quit, and I was seriously questioning my abilities, my strategies, my choices, my ability to make good choices.

I was ready to give up and blow it up.

I called my remaining employee into the office. He saw what had been going on. We had a good talk about my strengthens and weaknesses as a leader.

I asked him if he wanted to look for another job. And he looked me in my eye and said "No. I want the vision you told me about sitting on that patio in my interview. I honestly want to build this thing and really get it going. I want the team. I want to help people. I am still excited to be here. Take the time you need to heal or whatever, but then let's get this thing going."

I chuckled when he said "or whatever".

As everything felt like it was falling apart, after I basically told him as much, in that moment and in that time of my life, he absolutely believed in my dream way more than I did.

It was truly an eye-opening experience. And encouraging. Life affirming even. I still didn't know how to fix any of the issues, but after talking to him I rediscovered my desire to try.

Over the last 6 years I have gotten so many compliments from clients about how good that guy is to work with. And don't I know it.

Yes, usually the business owner cares the most and is the most excited. But not always.

Find pros who take pride in being pros. Find people who take ownership of their role. Inspire them with a vision and empower them to succeed.

Hope that helps someone.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Being sick is no fun. I came down with something several days ago, and I believe that this is the worst I have been since shortly after I got married. This may be the worst in 8ish years. Not fun. Thank goodness my kids were fine after some sniffles for a few days about a week ago.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
i can’t find the thread where someone was starting a glasses brand and their execution kinda sucked and someone else said it’s impossible to start a new brand now because of Temu

Here is a new brand I just found

They seem to be a prime example of the difference between good execution and bad execution

Everything they’re doing looks to be well executed and they are just getting started

It will be interesting to keep an eye on them and see how they grow and if they make it

A progress thread, except they aren’t members lol

Imo this is what good execution of a new glasses brand looks like

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
happy thanksgiving to everyone except @The-J

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
Everyone without a subscription to INSIDERS:

someone just sold their company for 19.8 million euros.

You know what? its all documented from zero to exit in a progress thread.

CrimsonNight

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Dec 4, 2017
SWEDEN
i have personally changed so much in just one year

i literally cannot recognize myself from a year ago

this year has def made me more 'ruthless'

something that would have taken me 3 months to launch gets done in 1-2 days

less overthinking more action taking

more focused on the profit-maxxing than ever before

and tbh, i think i also worked less than ever

but gets more shit done because i cut out every single bullshit tasks that makes me no money

still 1 month left of this year, i hope you guys also take advantage of this time and end 2023 with a bang

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Pro tip: if you tell your customers you provide support and even include instructions how to get a faster reply YET you don't reply later, you're creating a terrible experience and destroying your relationship with them.

It's better NOT to offer support than offer support and later don't provide it.

CrimsonNight

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Dec 4, 2017
SWEDEN
another thought i have

i highly recommend connect with other people doing same biz as you

TFF is nice for mindset / macro ideas but IMO you need a group of like minded people where you can share tactics and other stuff

but don't join popular or guru paid communities lol, they are so bad

and avoid connecting with too many newbies in the same niche, too much bad info being shared

easier said than done, in my case i got to connect with them due to luck + timing + value i provided

it is awesome once you do tho

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
happy thanksgiving to everyone except @The-J

1*RtVMTxs9eZT-ULjy6swT0Q.png

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Nice to see the thread updated with the awesome outcome!! Too many times I hear these stories through the grapevine, or via email, and the forum never hears about it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Happy thanksgiving everyone.

And best of luck ha...

View attachment 52644
:rofl:

Check out the description:

Most people probably look at a title like that and laugh, knowing that I am probably going to talk about politics ruining a "good time." Not really... It's not an argument. It's the communists' fault completely. Let's be honest, thanksgiving, for a lot of people looks more like a scary movie than a pleasant dinner. There is actually AN ORIGINAL way to ruin thanksgiving. The colonists, under the governorship of William Bradford in 1620, needlessly suffered and died of famine... BECAUSE THEY WERE COMMUNISTS. So If someone tells you not to "ruin thanksgiving," with your capitalist truth, you can quite literally tell them that their commie bullshit is the original way to ruin thanksgiving.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

You want to get a second passport. Basically dual citizenship.

I have a Mexican passport and an American passport.

Passports in America are a privilege, not a right. It’s like a drivers license. If you owe child support, owe taxes or have a warrant for your arrest. Your passport gets canceled or you can’t get issued one.

Last edited:

Awakened2022

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Jan 14, 2023

You know what? it is all documented from zero to exit in a progress thread.
I guess it is about time benevolence shone through and people started gifting INSIDERS subscriptions in the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

Who was it if you don't mind me asking?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.