The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
687%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
For determining the final selling price of each product unit.

Photography should be treated as a one time investment that you will earn back from the selling price over a long period of time.

It may be a bit concerning if you are thinking about photography costs and how they reflect on the selling price though. Either you are focusing on things that don't matter to avoid taking action or there is something wrong with your business plan that you are required to think at that level of detail. Are your product prices so cut throat that you have to think about this?

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Photography should be treated as a one time investment that you will earn back from the selling price over a long period of time.

It may be a bit concerning if you are thinking about photography costs and how they reflect on the selling price though. Either you are focusing on things that don't matter to avoid taking action or there is something wrong with your business plan that you are required to think at that level of detail. Are your product prices so cut throat that you have to think about this?

Lol, my prices are not cutthroat. But I have a phobia of spending money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This is hilarious - it’s like a fake army bootcamp in the carpark of some mall for $15,000.

For $150 you could just go enroll in a triathlon and get all the same lessons.

Could be the same guy?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijnlwIeJ_9c

Then there was this... this video really got me, the guy featured in this one was unreal... LOL
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxTNvfuVy8s&t=1s

Tony100

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 11, 2020
Quick question: Should product photography costs be factored into the selling price of each product? Since this is a one-time thing. Or would that come under operating expenses?
You could approach product photography costs as more of an investment decision than something to factor into pricing. Will better product photography increase sales enough to cover the cost of the photography and generate good extra profit on top? If so, do it.

You could calculate photography cost per unit (photography costs divided by expected quantity to be sold in for example 1 year). Then add to product cost. If this has little effect on profit margin then I would approach it like an investment, as above. If it destroys your profit margin then you need to increase price, discontinue product or find a way to do photography for free.

I'm not sure what you are selling but I've started asking my suppliers to take photos of the products for me. They have better camera equipment so the photos are better and it costs me nothing.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
This is hilarious - it’s like a fake army bootcamp in the carpark of some mall for $15,000.

For $150 you could just go enroll in a triathlon and get all the same lessons.
consoom-masculinity-v0-ctptovqq37o91.jpg

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I've spent more time than I should on the crypto current drama. It is absurd to learn about how some of those big exchanges are managed. Talk about putting people money at risk.

It is even more unbelievable how people blindly trust the "social media" [insert-something] experts. The first test for any of the so-called experts is the "skin-in-the-game" test: don't tell me what to invest in; show me your exposure.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
312257347_5862408443803163_2644879576339591180_n.jpg

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Quick question: Should product photography costs be factored into the selling price of each product? Since this is a one-time thing. Or would that come under operating expenses?
It’s a fixed cost, not a variable cost, meaning it doesn’t reoccur every time you sell a product.

You look at it like an investment. You look at your marginal income over time as a return on that investment. Marginal income implies margins… It is calculated by subtracting variable costs from your revenue it’s also called a contribution margin.

Your net margins (margins that include all costs, including fixed) can only be calculated using real data with actual sales numbers, or hypothetical projections, again, with specific numbers.

There’s no way to perfectly predict how well a product will do, so trying to somehow treat product photography as a variable cost is weird.

Ex 1: If you sell 20000 units and the product photography was $200, your product photography cost per unit is only a penny.

Ex 2: If you sell 32 units and the product photography was $200, your product photography cost per unit is $6.25.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Good stuff there.

I always wondered why “manly” men want to smell like booze.

I’m also convinced that it’s “manlier” to shave than to have a beard now.

“I have a giant beard because it’s counterculture and edgy.” Look around dude, every hipster in town has a beard.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Good stuff there.

“I have a giant beard because it’s counterculture and edgy.” Look around dude, every hipster in town has a beard.
Anyone sell an "I heart branding" tee? I'd like one, thanks.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Good stuff there.

I agree, Kyle - suddenly everyone has a beard and a clean shave is now manlier.

Other manly things today that come to mind:
  • Moving out of your parent's home and never returning!
  • Having a long term relationship, starting a family.
  • Holding a job without complaining about "I need work/life balance" and "I'll only work remotely!"
  • Getting a dog.
  • Starting your own business and not "failing fast" but having grit to figure it out, trusting the process.
  • Working out for health reasons and not to be able to post on social media how "ripped" you are.
  • Wearing a suit

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
687%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Good stuff there.

I don't have one, but I think a strong beard looks good on some people!

But also, while we always have a good laugh at people so wrapped up in consumerism & the newest IT thing... @fastlane_dad always likes to remind me that it's a good thing others want to part with their money so easily. More fastlane opportunities for the rest of us! :praise:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't have one, but I think a strong beard looks good on some people!

But also, while we always have a good laugh at people so wrapped up in consumerism & the newest IT thing... @fastlane_dad always likes to remind me that it's a good thing others want to part with their money so easily. More fastlane opportunities for the rest of us! :praise:
No question! I dont have a problem with beards. But the notion that somehow it makes someone edgier, manlier, tougher, help some beta wimp self describe as alpha, or some form of counterculture is just wrong now.

The sissiest skinny Jean wearing, latte sipping, prius driving, mall dwellers also have beards now. It doesn’t mean a bearded guy can’t swing an axe, or build a house, but most of them are in the drive through line at Starbucks.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
(oops!)

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

No question! I dont have a problem with beards. But the notion that somehow it makes someone edgier, manlier, tougher, help some beta wimp self describe as alpha, or some form of counterculture is just wrong now.

The sissiest skinny Jean wearing, latte sipping, prius driving, mall dwellers also have beards now. It doesn’t mean a bearded guy can’t swing an axe, or build a house, but most of them are in the drive through line at Starbucks.
Hey man, it's possible to be buying a caramel machiatto at 7 am and chopping wood at 8 am, no big deal! :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey man, it's possible to be buying a caramel machiatto at 7 am and chopping wood at 8 am, no big deal! :rofl:
Don’t confuse an instagram photo shoot with actual ability. :rofl:

3B7AC44F-3015-4C52-8476-921BF1540AC8.jpeg9AD6565F-A720-46F8-9F64-6C1980ABCE62.jpeg

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Is “chopping wood” some new term for masturbation? Seems kind of early to start at 8am.

Nothing wrong with a caramel macchiato at 7!
:rofl:

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I'm not sure why this 1981 video is making the rounds, but it shows the moment this lady goes from stoic to snapped. She'd had a hard life, her father had been Waffen SS, gave up her first 2 kids for adoption, then her third daughter was killed by a pedophile, who spent most of his trial saying the 7 year old tried to seduce him. She went to jail for 3 years, then died of cancer. The only positive I can think of is that lives like hers are an opportunity for more fortunate people to help others.

View: https://twitter.com/KnowsLaw/status/1593145139547246593
Is that an actual footage of her in the court? I've read the case before but had no idea it was ever caught on camera.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I want to write the book I wish I could buy for all the irritating unprofessional people I have to deal with on a weekly basis.

The entire premise is to be someone others can count on.

What are your initial thoughts?

This will not be self published. This will be a book deal with a major publisher as running a publishing company is not something I’m interested in.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I want to write the book I wish I could buy for all the irritating unprofessional people I have to deal with on a weekly basis.

This will not be self published. This will be a book deal with a major publisher as running a publishing company is not something I’m interested in.
Dude.

The people who need to read this kind of book, don’t read books.

It’s like when they announced on TV that homeless people were targeted by random violence and should be careful, but none of them had TV to see the message.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Dude.

It’s like when they announced on TV that homeless people were targeted by random violence and should be careful, but none of them had TV to see the message.
Maybe, but the frustrated people around them do… :rofl:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Is that an actual footage of her in the court? I've read the case before but had no idea it was ever caught on camera.
I thought it was, but it appears to be from a 1983 film based on it. I had read that TV crews were there for the trial, and assumed it was their footage. I deleted my post, sorry about that.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Dude.

That's okay. People who buy those types of books don't read them anyway; they buy them for confirmation bias and use them as shelf decorations.

You can sell millions of those shelf decorations!

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

Those people don't think there is anything wrong with their behavior.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.