The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
Phone conversation with a car dealer today.

Me: I don’t wanna pay over MSRP for a new car.
Dealer: what about a used 2022?
Me: I’m looking for a new car.
Dealer: Well it’s new to you.
Me: Don’t call me again.
Lmao, it’s new to you. I’d give the dealer props for that one and block his number right after for having the gall to try that.

On a more serious note, how would you get less than MSRP for a new car?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018

In Canada, it is not possible for a dealer to charge more than MSRP for a brand new car. To bypass this, the car must be driven at least 2,500km and then can be re-purchased by the dealer and sold for whatever price, as "used" but close to "new" or "demo".

I have an order for the new Range Rover, turns out I am at least a year away from having my turn to order one. In the meantime, they have a few "used" with a big price premium in the showroom.

Something tells me this temporary price imbalance will self-correct next year.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
In Canada, it is not possible for a dealer to charge more than MSRP for a brand new car. To bypass this, the car must be driven at least 2,500km and then can be re-purchased by the dealer and sold for whatever price, as "used" but close to "new" or "demo".

I have an order for the new Range Rover, turns out I am at least a year away from having my turn to order one. In the meantime, they have a few "used" with a big price premium in the showroom.

Something tells me this temporary price imbalance will self-correct next year.
I posted a video in a thread somewhere of a guy showing 15,000 repos a month going to auction

Not sure if it was real or not

This is something so obvious but it didn’t occur to me as I’ve never had a car loan

I think it’s quite likely there’s about to be way too many 2021 and 2022 on the market

If your mortgage goes up, and your food goes up, and maybe you lose your job, the first thing to go is going to be that new car you didn’t really need

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I’d be interested in this!

I think this is a great idea. I'm forever forgetting birthdays. No chance I'd remember anniversaries or other notable events in the lives of family and friends. Creating a calendar is a poor workaround. I'm not one of those people able to pick up a conversation by remembering and asking about how their son is doing in college, or daughter is doing after breaking her arm.

I researched the landscape a bit. @Kak I believe you have an iPhone --> Clay.earth can be interesting for you. @Andy Black , not sure if you have an iPhone, but hey... why not.

I will put together something similar for half that per month and cross platform. Damn iOS apps lol

You could use this open source tech and market it to people. It's been around for a few years.

Edit: if you have an idea for software, search around on GitHub and see if people have already done part of the work for you. There's no reason to recreate everything from scratch. Just piece their work together into your new product.

That is pretty much the approach I have in mind. That or offer to buy an existing app as a foundation to get something with some traction already.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
"Democracy basically means government by the people, of the people, for the people; but the people are retarded."

1668126492723.png

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
363%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
This might help. Not quite the same, but you might get some tips/ideas.

TL;DR: Don't go there to get leads. Go to make friends, build relationships, and create win-wins.
Thanks! Gotta remember to stick to the basics..
The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker. You could skip to the fifth chapter I think, about pre game prep or don’t start with logistics while ppl are waiting in line. The entire book is about how to awe and honor your guests. Very, VERY solid book with loads of examples and principles.
Great, thanks for recommending! looking forward to checking this out
Bring value is a good rule of thumb. If it’s a nightclub bring girls, as an example. Bring whatever these people are interested in.
Awesome analogy. I know exactly what it is
Go in with a goal to talk to certain amount of people? You don't seem like a super introverted person so this probably isn't your main obstacle.

Just remember the power of discover vs. telling.

Someone discovering you do video consulting versus Telling everyone you do video consulting will have a much larger impact.
So true..!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I researched the landscape a bit. @Kak I believe you have an iPhone --> Clay.earth can be interesting for you. @Andy Black , not sure if you have an iPhone, but hey... why not.

I will put together something similar for half that per month and cross platform. Damn iOS apps lol

That is pretty much the approach I have in mind. That or offer to buy an existing app as a foundation to get something with some traction already.
NICE! If you make one… Get Adam Grant on board or to endorse it!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Is it okay to create content for the selfish purpose of wanting to entertain someone?

Something like: I want people to enjoy this story I’m writing.

I think it’s kinda selfish because I want people to tell me that they enjoyed what I made with their words or time.
Isn’t it the same with blogs? You write blogs to people enjoy it. Like a journey blog.
And ( if you don’t monitize it) you do it for the people enjoying it and may be make a post.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I'm thinking about getting a new car, was this in Vegas or AZ? I thought the days of selling cars above MSRP were over?

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
FhSgHSLWIAIIkiP

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018
FhJVnpNWYAIgGzK.jpeg

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Lmao, it’s new to you. I’d give the dealer props for that one and block his number right after for having the gall to try that.

On a more serious note, how would you get less than MSRP for a new car?

Lots of ways. All of which start with understanding how the dealership makes money. There's plenty of online resources nowadays explaining how back of the house works. Mine came from ages ago when my brother was selling cars for a couple of years followed by buying a bunch of vehicles over the years. It was entertaining enough that I'd occasionally negotiate and buy cars on behalf of girlfriends, friends or their parents.

Step 1: It starts with identifying a specific make & model of vehicle that you want to purchase. That's up to you. However, changing small details can make a big difference in what you pay. Don't expect to buy the country's most popular vehicle below cost. It won't happen. Think about last year's model, inventory leftovers or the other 90% of vehicles which are perfectly fine.

Step 2: How much did the dealer pay for it. MSRP => Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price with emphasis on "Suggested". It's an almost meaningless number that the dealer doesn't pay. Aside from the actual dealer cost, you'll need to find monthly & quarterly manufacturer rebates, manufacturer givebacks and financing incentives. The actual dealer cost to acquire the vehicle (excluding lot costs, insurance, etc) used to be called "tissue price". Accepting anything below that means the dealership is legitimately losing money on the deal. They might make it up with upsells, warrantees, trade-in scams and financing BS, but tissue price is break even.

Step 3: Don't mix up trade-in with purchase. Two separate deals. Tell them you don't have a trade-in.

Step 4: Don't mix up financing with purchase. Two separate deals. Tell them you're a cash buyer whether true or not. In general, dealer financing sucks unless it's coming from the manufacturer. Find a local bank or credit union or actually pay with cash.

Step 5: Identify 7-10 area dealerships with the exact vehicle that you want. Get direct contact information for the General Manager or Sales Manager (highest person you can find) to avoid paying add'l $$$ on sales commissions.

Step 6. Negotiate. It can be 100% old-school visit in person to arm wrestle about things. I happen to enjoy busting balls with sales guys, but that's kinda rare for most people. Far easier is writing a letter saying you are interested in buying this exact vehicle (no changes allowed) for this price. Mention that you're a cash buyer. Mention that you're sending the same letter to nine other dealerships. Feel free to list them all. Tell them you will purchase the vehicle on the last day of the month from the dealership that will provide the exact model requested for the lowest cash price.

Step 7: Wait for a response. You'll hear back from up to 80%. Take the deal you like. Don't buy any upsells and walk away if even a comma on the paperwork doesn't match up with the deal you were offered in response to the letter. They want the sale far more than you need to purchase a vehicle from any particular dealership on any particular day.

Alternate Approach: Hire a flat fee buying service that does everything described above for $500 - $1,500.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm thinking about getting a new car, was this in Vegas or AZ? I thought the days of selling cars above MSRP were over?
In AZ. It was for a 2023 4Runner. Prices for 4Runners seem to still be high, even in NV. Especially for an Off-road Premium or Pro.

Car prices are still fairly high, new and used. They’ve come from above MSRP down to MSRP right now.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Lots of ways. All of which start with understanding how the dealership makes money. There's plenty of online resources nowadays explaining how back of the house works. Mine came from ages ago when my brother was selling cars for a couple of years followed by buying a bunch of vehicles over the years. It was entertaining enough that I'd occasionally negotiate and buy cars on behalf of girlfriends, friends or their parents.

Step 1: It starts with identifying a specific make & model of vehicle that you want to purchase. That's up to you. However, changing small details can make a big difference in what you pay. Don't expect to buy the country's most popular vehicle below cost. It won't happen. Think about last year's model, inventory leftovers or the other 90% of vehicles which are perfectly fine.

Step 2: How much did the dealer pay for it. MSRP => Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price with emphasis on "Suggested". It's an almost meaningless number that the dealer doesn't pay. Aside from the actual dealer cost, you'll need to find monthly & quarterly manufacturer rebates, manufacturer givebacks and financing incentives. The actual dealer cost to acquire the vehicle (excluding lot costs, insurance, etc) used to be called "tissue price". Accepting anything below that means the dealership is legitimately losing money on the deal. They might make it up with upsells, warrantees, trade-in scams and financing BS, but tissue price is break even.

Step 3: Don't mix up trade-in with purchase. Two separate deals. Tell them you don't have a trade-in.

Step 4: Don't mix up financing with purchase. Two separate deals. Tell them you're a cash buyer whether true or not. In general, dealer financing sucks unless it's coming from the manufacturer. Find a local bank or credit union or actually pay with cash.

Step 5: Identify 7-10 area dealerships with the exact vehicle that you want. Get direct contact information for the General Manager or Sales Manager (highest person you can find) to avoid paying add'l $$$ on sales commissions.

Step 6. Negotiate. It can be 100% old-school visit in person to arm wrestle about things. I happen to enjoy busting balls with sales guys, but that's kinda rare for most people. Far easier is writing a letter saying you are interested in buying this exact vehicle (no changes allowed) for this price. Mention that you're a cash buyer. Mention that you're sending the same letter to nine other dealerships. Feel free to list them all. Tell them you will purchase the vehicle on the last day of the month from the dealership that will provide the exact model requested for the lowest cash price.

Step 7: Wait for a response. You'll hear back from up to 80%. Take the deal you like. Don't buy any upsells and walk away if even a comma on the paperwork doesn't match up with the deal you were offered in response to the letter. They want the sale far more than you need to purchase a vehicle from any particular dealership on any particular day.

Alternate Approach: Hire a flat fee buying service that does everything described above for $500 - $1,500.
If I was single I’d comment on how sexy this list is. Js.

Don’t be showing just anybody this list. You make them wait for it! Don’t just give away the goodies! You deserve commitment!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Stuff only entrepreneurs would notice.

I’m at the airport in Minneapolis and go to the bathroom and noticed they have this nice soft toilet paper versus that thin rough paper that all others have. Then I notice that it’s branded too.

Does the airport pay more for this toilet paper?

Or does Scott give it to them for marketing?

This would be an interesting way for a new brand to try to gain traction and market share. Make an awesome toilet paper and then get thousands of people to try it out for free.

D83FD596-0B8F-42C0-BE95-49F033AD1D91.jpeg

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
A friend buys a Volkswagen car every year. He buys the cheapest model with the least equipment possible.
He s been a car industry professional and as he buys the cheapest car, they think he s dumb, and try to scam him in any way. A bad battery or scratches or so. But he allways makes trouble until he gets a perfect car.

He wanted an e car now and first didn’t find any for the msrp or Close to. In the end he found a dealer, which brought him to an old gravel mine, which was full of hundreds of e cars. That dealer said, he bought a big lot quite cheap and now waits, until prices go up.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.