The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Anyway, after spending the summer mountain biking. My September scan I weighed 160lbs and my body fat went up to 25%. The scan said that I lost 10lbs of muscle and gained 2lbs of fat. I was kind of surprised because I didn't eat that different and definitely got in alot of cardio exercise.

If the only thing you did was mountain biking, I'm not surprised you lost muscle.

Unless you consistently increase the difficulty of each ride (steeper hills that require more strength) it's a purely endurance activity = muscle loss. The only way to maintain or build muscle mass is through resistance training (and progressive overload), whether it's barbells, bodyweight, yoga, gymnastics, or sprints.

For fitness freaks, cardio can be sort of like fast food. I know because I've been there personally and I've since changed my approach to exercise.

There are five heart rate training zones and you don't want to be in zone 3 (or possibly also 4). It's either 1 or 2 for easy, long workouts or 5 for very demanding, short ones.

Mark Sisson calls it "chronic cardio." He describes the dangers well in these two articles:

In short, cardio is usually too much in the middle to be optimal, which turns it into a potentially unhealthy activity.

The healthiest activities are:
  • Resistance training (barbells, bodyweight, gymnastics, yoga) - to maintain or build muscle mass which is crucial for longevity, and even more so for men who are losing muscle mass with age due to declining testosterone.
  • Low-level aerobic work (walking, hiking, cycling, swimming) - for safe fat burning, recovery, and general cardiovascular benefits without the drawbacks of chronic cardio.
  • Interval training - increases strength and aerobic performance while allowing the body to rest between sets = lower risk of overtraining and injury.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Found it!

Anyone spot the money phrase? Not about earning 7-figures...
"From working in a pet store at 18 for $8.50 an hour..."
Maybe the fact that he just started? Or if he already was working there before reading TMF , perhaps the desire to leave?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

If the only thing you did was mountain biking, I'm not surprised you lost muscle.

Unless you consistently increase the difficulty of each ride (steeper hills that require more strength) it's a purely endurance activity = muscle loss. The only way to maintain or build muscle mass is through resistance training (and progressive overload), whether it's barbells, bodyweight, yoga, gymnastics, or sprints.

For fitness freaks, cardio can be sort of like fast food. I know because I've been there personally and I've since changed my approach to exercise.

There are five heart rate training zones and you don't want to be in zone 3 (or possibly also 4). It's either 1 or 2 for easy, long workouts or 5 for very demanding, short ones.

Mark Sisson calls it "chronic cardio." He describes the dangers well in these two articles:

In short, cardio is usually too much in the middle to be optimal, which turns it into a potentially unhealthy activity.

• Resistance training (barbells, bodyweight, gymnastics, yoga) - to maintain or build muscle mass which is crucial for longevity, and even more so for men who are losing muscle mass with age due to declining testosterone.
  • Low-level aerobic work (walking, hiking, cycling, swimming) - for safe fat burning, recovery, and general cardiovascular benefits without the drawbacks of chronic cardio.
  • Interval training - increases strength and aerobic performance while allowing the body to rest between sets = lower risk of overtraining and injury.
The best training programs I’ve found combine intense weight lifting with walking.

Of course you need to add a little more for your heart and lungs... but the first two are key for physique

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I was going to buy one of those fancy Bosch laser “tape measures” until I realized that my iPhone 13 Pro Max has LiDAR in it. That is something new. I downloaded a couple of augmented reality measuring apps for it and I’m legitimately impressed.

A useful tool in my pocket everywhere I go, zero additional weight or consideration.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
"When you say yes to something, it’s imperative that you understand what you’re saying no to." (Gary Keller, Jay Papasan, The ONE Thing)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"From working in a pet store at 18 for $8.50 an hour..."
Maybe the fact that he just started? Or if he already was working there before reading TMF , perhaps the desire to leave?

Nope!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
"When you say yes to something, it’s imperative that you understand what you’re saying no to." (Gary Keller, Jay Papasan, The ONE Thing)
So I keep seeing these great Gary Keller quotes… I got to meet him once.

He also went to Baylor, and he comes back as a guest speaker occasionally. When this was announced, I was stoked to learn from a entrepreneurial heavyweight. So I made sure to sit right up front when the day came. I even thought I might get to shake his hand and say hello.

He spent 20 minutes showing off stacks and stacks of notebooks that he takes notes on everything. He was really driving home how important it was to take notes on everything… And then he pointed at me and started giving me shit that I wasn’t taking notes on the fact that he takes notes on everything.

I’m like WTF… I think I can remember that Gary Keller said you should take notes on everything. Here I am 12 years later and I remember it.

So I said “If I need to take notes to remember to take notes what’s going to remind me to take the first note?”

Yes, I was a smartass, but seriously, if you’re going to be a douche to someone you know nothing about, screw you. I was as much of an overachieving nerd then as I am now. I had a business already. I got nearly straight A’s. Ironically, I was already in the habit of taking notes avidly.

He wasn’t a “hero,” but the phrase “never meet your heros come to mind.” If he makes a habit of doing things like that, how many people does he go about rubbing wrong every day?

I learned a BIG lesson that day. Probably a more valuable lesson than whatever else he talked about, which I deliberately didn’t take any notes on. It doesn’t matter how rich or awesome you think you are, being a douche still makes you a douche.

Also, he was wheeling around one of those massive briefcases with like 30 notebooks in it. Get an iPad. :rofl:

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
So I keep seeing these great Gary Keller quotes, but he copped an unwarranted attitude with me once and I never forgot it.

So he also went to Baylor, and he comes back as a guest speaker occasionally. When this was announced, I was stoked to learn from a entrepreneurial heavyweight. So I made sure to sit right up front when the day came. I even thought I might get to shake his hand and say hello.

He spent 20 minutes showing off stacks and stacks of notebooks that he takes notes on everything. He was really driving home how important it was to take notes on everything… And then he pointed at me and started giving me shit that I wasn’t taking notes on the fact that he takes notes on everything.

I’m like WTF… I think I can remember that Gary Keller said you should take notes on everything. Here I am 12 years later and I remember it.

So I said “If I need to take notes to remember to take notes what’s going to remind me to take the first note?”

Yes, I was a smartass, but seriously, if you’re going to be a douche to someone you know nothing about, screw you. I was as much of an overachieving nerd then as I am now. I had a business already. I got nearly straight A’s. Ironically, I was already in the habit of taking notes avidly.

He wasn’t a “hero,” but the phrase “never meet your heros come to mind.” If he makes a habit of doing things like that, how many people does he go about rubbing wrong every day?

I learned a BIG lesson that day. Probably a more valuable lesson than whatever else he talked about, which I deliberately didn’t take any notes on. It doesn’t matter how rich or bad a$$ you are, being an a**hole still makes you an a**hole.

Also, he was wheeling around one of those massive briefcases with like 30 notebooks in it. Get an iPad. :rofl:
One sec... I need to take some notes on this post.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Attachments

• 3AD7B59B-8F11-4447-B0AD-FBFFFBF712C8.png
    3AD7B59B-8F11-4447-B0AD-FBFFFBF712C8.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
My latest past time hobby : old men unintentional ASMR YouTube videos

Patryk.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 21, 2022
Poland
I honestly love that types of views early in the morning. It's just two minutes from my home (on bicycle) and it gives me peace of mind in this crazy world.
(the photo is from late spring)

Attachments

• IMG_20220531_061727.jpg
    IMG_20220531_061727.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 15

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
That’s the problem when you’re publicly traded. No long term thinking can happen.

YouTube is insane too, soo many unskippable ads it’s ridiculous.
I always watch youtube through Brave browser with adblocker extension. If I ever get sent a link and my phone opens it otherwise and I get ads... it actually feels unwatchable.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I was going to buy one of those fancy Bosch laser “tape measures” until I realized that my iPhone 13 Pro Max has LiDAR in it. That is something new. I downloaded a couple of augmented reality measuring apps for it and I’m legitimately impressed.

A useful tool in my pocket everywhere I go, zero additional weight or consideration.
Who needs a weight vest when you have a kak utility belt.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Okay this is just funny. This guy was sjust elected as the official opposition leader and he has a good chance to becoming the next Canadian Prime Minister. The media blasted him and did everything they could to make him lose the Conservative leadership race, and he still won it by a landslide.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
That’s the problem when you’re publicly traded. No long term thinking can happen.

YouTube is insane too, soo many unskippable ads it’s ridiculous.
Here is a tip to never get another YouTube advertisement. Delete the phone app, don't even have it on your phone. Download the Brave browser for your phone. Delete all other browsers. Make a YouTube shortcut from Brave on your homescreen. Use that.

Never have an ad again!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
@Antifragile Can you explain what is going on in your profile pic? I can't figure out if it's providing aid or sabotage.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I’ll give it a shot. :rofl:

“This further cemented your principles of not using markets for wealth, and only focusing on stuff you can control.”

Close...

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

Wow, that is interesting. I have never heard of that before. I am someone who definitely pushes are hard as they possibly can on the bike. I do it to increase my level of competency, and then make that same trail seem easy. I do that and then move onto something more difficult. Maybe I should toss more easy rides in there.

I hate running, but I love walking. I plan on doing a few km walk most days through a forest near my home in the winter since biking is out of the picture. I'm curious to see how adding like 40 min of walking a day would do for me.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

So I keep seeing these great Gary Keller quotes… I got to meet him once.

He also went to Baylor, and he comes back as a guest speaker occasionally. When this was announced, I was stoked to learn from a entrepreneurial heavyweight. So I made sure to sit right up front when the day came. I even thought I might get to shake his hand and say hello.

I learned a BIG lesson that day. Probably a more valuable lesson than whatever else he talked about, which I deliberately didn’t take any notes on. It doesn’t matter how rich or awesome you think you are, being a douche still makes you a douche.

This sums up college so well

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Any web developer looking for potential clients should look at the manufactured housing industry. Their websites are amazingly slow. Two examples using PageSpeed Insights

1665116862474.png

1665117224879.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
5845dca4774b13bab734c02de8443c02b5828d82.jpg

LOL I swear, this is how most people are. And I'm trying to fight against it in myself as well. Still funny.

This one is also awesome:

c74752e853e2fffbb33da2c9101f4997b262a3a5.jpg

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
5845dca4774b13bab734c02de8443c02b5828d82.jpg

LOL I swear, this is how most people are. And I'm trying to fight against it in myself as well. Still funny.

This one is also awesome:

c74752e853e2fffbb33da2c9101f4997b262a3a5.jpg
The media obviously pushes for this also
But as humans we have the negative bias and tend to prioritize every little negative aspect despite 100 other positives

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Was anyone unaware that killing women is "femicide" not homicide? And until we acknowledge it as so, it will not cease?

Caution: This article is likely to trigger some of you within 3-5 seconds.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
An unfortunate choice of name for this Sushi place lol. I'd love to hear their prank calls though. (I obviously know it's about a wok but it makes sense now when people I used to work with mentioned sending our SJW's down there for lunch).

20221007_201305.jpg

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I am going through some really weird sort of a mental block right now. It is 07:38 at the time of posting this and I am already getting slightly stressed and feel like the day is almost over. It is really odd, and even recognizing this is making me feel stressed out about it. It's like this crazy negative loop taking place 100% in my head.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I am going through some really weird sort of a mental block right now. It is 07:38 at the time of posting this and I am already getting slightly stressed and feel like the day is almost over. It is really odd, and even recognizing this is making me feel stressed out about it. It's like this crazy negative loop taking place 100% in my head.
I feel you brother, I feel you.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Maybe that means you are realizing how much you have to do? Moving in the right direction and being aware of it can have this effect. I felt it many times.

Here is what worked for me:
  • Make a list of tasks for today only
  • Pick one that if you only did that, you would move closer to your goal than any other task would get you.
  • Do that task until it’s done. 25 min full focus, 5 min break - repeat.

By writing the list down, other tasks won’t circle in your brain anymore. They won’t bother you. You’ll be able to focus.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.