The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018
Why is it that I see mostly out of shape people carrying cases of Coke Zero to their offices? Hmm….

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018
"As Henry Ford once put it, “If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it.”" (Clayton M. Christensen, James Allworth, and Karen Dillon, How Will You Measure Your Life?)

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
"As Henry Ford once put it, “If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it.”" (Clayton M. Christensen, James Allworth, and Karen Dillon, How Will You Measure Your Life?)

Most common example of this is the dishwasher. People even have it but hand wash things to "save" money. But you can literally have a machine save you hours a month that cost virtually nothing.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Instantly I'm mentally applying this to other scenarios...

Coffee
women
children
schools
elections...

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Most common example of this is the dishwasher. People even have it but hand wash things to "save" money. But you can literally have a machine save you hours a month that cost virtually nothing.
It's funny that you mention dishwashers because I hate dishwashers. In a commercial kitchen or if you have a large family, I suppose they could make sense, but for 4 or less people, they make no sense to me from an efficiency perspective.

I remember growing up, as one of my many chores, I had to rinse the food off the dishes and utensils (80% of the cleaning process already done), make sure the items go in the right spot(s) and that the utensils face the right direction, etc. Next morning, spend 5 minutes unloading the dishwasher and putting everything away BUT better check that each item is actually clean because 10% of the dishes, I'd find food left between the prongs of a fork or the bottom of a bowl or the face of a dinner plate. Maybe it is just my experience, but I've never thought dishwashers to actually be capable of doing the job they are advertised to do (spotlessly clean dishes and save users time).

Then you factor in the initial cost ($500+), amount of space it takes up in a kitchen (could be a huge cabinet instead), and the maintenance costs (repair or replace) and it just seems so much easier to clean a dish immediately after use and immediately put it away.

Thanks for coming to my rant.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
my country its way to heigh something like 70%
let me add bhai that indias protein deficiency stems from wayyy back (not trying to bring it up but caste) and the fact that lower castes had little or no access to animal proteins as they were often hoarded by the stronger classes (and castes for that matter). I mean similar to what is happening now lol. Nicole kidman and bill gates want us to start eating insects and bugs, but they will still serve up filet mignons at their residences im sure of it....

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It's funny that you mention dishwashers because I hate dishwashers. In a commercial kitchen or if you have a large family, I suppose they could make sense, but for 4 or less people, they make no sense to me from an efficiency perspective.

I remember growing up, as one of my many chores, I had to rinse the food off the dishes and utensils (80% of the cleaning process already done), make sure the items go in the right spot(s) and that the utensils face the right direction, etc. Next morning, spend 5 minutes unloading the dishwasher and putting everything away BUT better check that each item is actually clean because 10% of the dishes, I'd find food left between the prongs of a fork or the bottom of a bowl or the face of a dinner plate. Maybe it is just my experience, but I've never thought dishwashers to actually be capable of doing the job they are advertised to do (spotlessly clean dishes and save users time).

Then you factor in the initial cost ($500+), amount of space it takes up in a kitchen (could be a huge cabinet instead), and the maintenance costs (repair or replace) and it just seems so much easier to clean a dish immediately after use and immediately put it away.

Maybe I just have a really good dishwasher (mine was less than $500) or I use the most expensive pods/packets for dishwashing detergent (this might be it), but I don't have these issues.

Worst case scenario is I don't take them out soon enough because I was busy so I have to rinse them again.

Cascade platinum. It works pretty well. Also - if the dishwasher is really full, it probably can't reach everything. I don't fill mine to the brim like a family would.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Why is it that I see mostly out of shape people carrying cases of Coke Zero to their offices? Hmm….
I think MJ once wrote a very eloquent criticism of this mindset. A cart loaded with nothing, but utter trash, but then a case of diet soda.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Was going to post the exact same rant.

We just use the scrubber things with the handle that fills up with soap and wash the dishes as we use them.

I absolutely hate loading and unloading dishwashers but I don’t mind washing them for some reason, it’s quite relaxing actually.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I think MJ once wrote a very eloquent criticism of this mindset. A cart loaded with nothing, but utter trash, but then a case of diet soda.
I know there's a subforum for health and diet but would be interesting to post case studies of men in their 50's who are exceptionally fit (and don't use steroids) and what their diets, exercise routines, and other habits are like.

I say 50's because that's a good age to prove that it works long term.

I'm being a massive hypocrite here because I made fun of people who cite their parents as experts, but my dad is extremely fit, late 50's, eats pretty much whatever he wants IN MODERATION, but plays basketball 2-3 mornings per week and lifts weights. Also goes for daily walks and sometimes goes to the track. Drinks lots of water.

He has visible abs. I currently do not. Working on that, lol.

OH and he drinks Diet coke on the reg... and puts that gross powder stuff in his coffee!

Last edited by a moderator:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
So Canada Post got back to me about their employee stealing my coins. Here is what they said:

Canada Post is not liable for loss or damage to shipments containing stocks, bonds, negotiable instruments, lottery tickets, coupons, trading stamps, travellers' cheques, or bank notes or coins (with the exception of collectors coins shipped directly from a retailer and accompanied by an order confirmation from the retailer).

Your item falls within one of these categories and we are unable to compensate you for the loss or damage. However, you will receive a refund for the postage paid.

So they have an employee who is getting off scott free after literally stealing something from a package, and I don't even get the insured value of my package back.

To say I am livid is an understatement. This is literally food from our house right now as this money was going to go straight onto bills. Instead I am out return shipping prices, and now have a coin set which is no longer worth its collectors value. And the thief has all the incentive in the world to keep on stealing from packages because there is no repercussions to his actions.

I want to find this person and do not nice things to them. What an absolute scam this is.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018
So Canada Post got back to me about their employee stealing my coins. Here is what they said:

So they have an employee who is getting off scott free after literally stealing something from a package, and I don't even get the insured value of my package back.

To say I am livid is an understatement. This is literally food from our house right now as this money was going to go straight onto bills. Instead I am out return shipping prices, and now have a coin set which is no longer worth its collectors value. And the thief has all the incentive in the world to keep on stealing from packages because there is no repercussions to his actions.

I want to find this person and do not nice things to them. What an absolute scam this is.
Can you try reporting this to police? Long shot, but your argument is solid here. Canada Post may not be liable, but the person who stole your coin is sure as hell liable. F*cker should not get away with it. My blood boils reading this story.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018
I know there's a subforum for health and diet but would be interesting to post case studies of men in their 50's who are exceptionally fit (and don't use steroids) and what their diets, exercise routines, and other habits are like.

I say 50's because that's a good age to prove that it works long term.

I'm being a massive hypocrite here because I made fun of people who cite their parents as experts, but my dad is extremely fit, late 50's, eats pretty much whatever he wants IN MODERATION, but plays basketball 2-3 mornings per week and lifts weights. Also goes for daily walks and sometimes goes to the track. Drinks lots of water.

He has visible abs. I currently do not. Working on that, lol.

OH and he drinks Diet coke on the reg... and puts that gross powder stuff in his coffee!

As as ex-competitive athlete. Now still an athletic amateur - fitness is not the same as health. You can be fit and unhealthy at the same time. You can be unfit and healthy too.

You can also lower your age criteria to 40s. Typically the bulk of amateur racers are in their 40s! Maybe it's tied to when people have kids and when they get some of their time-freedom back (as kids grow up).

This is super interesting (to me) topic. As I've been often more fit than healthy (my competitive nature) and still learning a ton on how to be more healthy and remain fit.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

As as ex-competitive athlete. Now still an athletic amateur - fitness is not the same as health. You can be fit and unhealthy at the same time. You can be unfit and healthy too.

You can also lower your age criteria to 40s. Typically the bulk of amateur racers are in their 40s! Maybe it's tied to when people have kids and when they get some of their time-freedom back (as kids grow up).

This is super interesting (to me) topic. As I've been often more fit than healthy (my competitive nature) and still learning a ton on how to be more healthy and remain fit.
How do you define healthy?

Is it perfect blood pressure? He has it. Is it ultra low resting heart rate? Has it. Dude has A+ marks on everything.

We laugh at him because we all get burgers and fries and he eats half the burger and takes it home. Seems to work.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I know there's a subforum for health and diet but would be interesting to post case studies of men in their 50's

How about men over 90? And who run marathons? This centenarian speaks volumes, certainly a lot more than your typical 25 year old douchebag "fitness guru" who thinks looking good = being healthy. I know there's a survivor bias here, but in reality, time reveals the truth, while youth clouds it. If I live to 100, I hope I'm as sharp as this guy and my mind survives the process. Losing my mind while having physical health (Alzheimers is in the family) is my greatest fear.

I heard today that the average lifespan of a pro bodybuilder is 49. But hey, at least they look good when they're buried.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

How about men over 90? And who run marathons? This centenarian speaks volumes, certainly a lot more than your typical 25 year old douchebag "fitness guru" who thinks looking good = being healthy. I know there's a survivor bias here, but in reality, time reveals the truth, while youth clouds it. If I live to 100, I hope I'm as sharp as this guy and my mind survives the process. Losing my mind while having physical health (Alzheimers is in the family) is my greatest fear.

I heard today that the average lifespan of a pro bodybuilder is 49. But hey, at least they look good when they're buried.

That’s fantastic. My dad is absolutely not a bodybuilder. He’s not big at all. He’s just very healthy.

I’ve met some guys kind of like guy in your video too, old men who are very healthy. They all are very physically active, get plenty of rest and sunlight, and eat healthy diets.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They all are very physically active,

This is huge.

I think sitting at a desk 8 hours a day is a huge detriment to anyone, including myself. I just bought a standing treadmill because eating healthy (however anyone defines it) is likely not going to compensate for sitting on my a$$ at a computer most of the day. Working out for 40 minutes as compensation is like thinking I can do something to cancel out the 7 cigarettes I smoked during the day. (No I don't smoke, just hypothetical.)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

This is huge.

I think sitting at a desk 8 hours a day is a huge detriment to anyone, including myself. I just bought a standing treadmill because eating healthy (however anyone defines it) is likely not going to compensate for sitting on my a$$ at a computer most of the day. Working out for 40 minutes as compensation is like thinking I can do something to cancel out the 7 cigarettes I smoked during the day. (No I don't smoke, just hypothetical.)
This is part of why I feel so panicked about my business life and want out, working on a new business. I can’t stand sitting in my office anymore. I feel like I’ve aged 10 times faster in the last 3 years.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

My dad is 63 and had a heart attack last Wednesday. He smokes a pack of cigarettes a day and eats microwave food all the time.

He’s a weapon system engineer for the US navy and eats McDonald’s at the naval base all the time. He’s your classic millionaire next door that drives a junky pickup.

He’s gonna have to have bypass surgery.

I called him today because he has covid and can’t visit him in person at the hospital and joked to sneak him a quarter pounder Wendy’s at the hospital.

Take care of your health.

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
let me add bhai that indias protein deficiency stems from wayyy back (not trying to bring it up but caste) and the fact that lower castes had little or no access to animal proteins as they were often hoarded by the stronger classes (and castes for that matter).
Facts. Caste system has destroyed india and is still destroying it in less educated areas.
I mean similar to what is happening now lol. Nicole kidman and bill gates want us to start eating insects and bugs, but they will still serve up filet mignons at their residences im sure of it....
What does that actually mean? How are they doing it?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I saw a FB post by someone commemorating the death of his son (who was murdered in high school over a decade ago).

The show can come to an end abruptly. Make the most of it.

Athena's Escape

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jan 5, 2022
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm working on ways to add value through what I know best. To that end, random poll here from a psychotherapist who specializes in couples work:

What do y'all do when you're having relationship problems with your SO or spouse??

Specifically, do you ever seek outside help from anywhere... family, friends, clergy, professionals, books, podcasts, forums, Starbucks barista, your favorite bartender, random dude on the metro, etc?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
So first day mostly better after covid, and I can't sleep. I was thinking all day "just one more night of good sleep and I should be golden!".

I did a crap ton of work today. Rebuilt some issue mining computers, did laundry, played with the kids outside. Essentially kept busy with no breaks from about 8am to 10pm. It is now nearly 2am and I feel more awake than I did at 6pm. Why does this happen??? Ive read the last two hours and I don't feel like reading anymore. I guess I watch the latest season of Last Kingdom on Netflix and zombie my brain until 5am?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm working on ways to add value through what I know best. To that end, random poll here from a psychotherapist who specializes in couples work:

What do y'all do when you're having relationship problems with your SO or spouse??

Specifically, do you ever seek outside help from anywhere... family, friends, clergy, professionals, books, podcasts, forums, Starbucks barista, your favorite bartender, random dude on the metro, etc?
Might be best doing this as a confidential and potentially anonymous survey or poll. You can create a poll thread in the forum. Sometimes people link to surveys. I've used Google Forms in the past which is free, and can update a Google Sheet with responses.

Check out the "Just Start Already" thread in my signature. I think I have a video showing a Google Form and Sheet I used a couple of years ago.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
So first day mostly better after covid, and I can't sleep. I was thinking all day "just one more night of good sleep and I should be golden!".

Assuming this is caused by COVID and not something else, it seems to be a part of the strange recovery process.

My first (full) day of COVID was on July 11 so two and a half weeks ago. I felt okay enough by July 20 to get back to MMA and swimming. I was trying to take it easy and slowly. Still, by the weekend I felt worse again and this week I'm not feeling that great, either.

Still coughing, sometimes a lot and it's painful, still some random headaches, still terrible fitness performance (I get tired quickly and my heart rate increases fast). I'm also finding it harder to fall asleep than before (the cough isn't helping).

From my experience so far, it looks like recovery has ups and downs. One day you feel okay and the next, randomly you cough much more again and feel in general worse.

My MMA coach had COVID two years ago and had the same experience with recovery. My other coach who had it recently as well also needed a few weeks to fully recover. It doesn't seem to be typical for everyone but it's common enough to see that for some people it's not linear improvement as it the case after, say, a cold.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This one's pretty trippy. It promotes the timeline as happening sooner than you'd expect, but I think some of the events will play out much sooner than the video's predictions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.