The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

BlueSeoul

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 10, 2022
Singapore
You absolutely do not need to drop religion to be unscripted !

Please keep in mind that having a belief and believing in a higher power does not equal going to church and being bossed around by "religious people" who have taken the bible and warped it to their needs. Organized religion, and religion, can be two completely different things.

Do what empowers you. If that is religion then go for it.
Thanks @GPM . It's tough as I tend to get easily affected by my surroundings, and at the church, almost 80%, if not all of my friends are borderline sidewalker/slowlaner. Having thoughts of entrepreneurship and sharing it with some of them can be deemed selfish and hence a sinful representation that my mind is not focused on true godly belief, but driven by the secular thoughts of the world. *Sigh*

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
LOL, looks like where I just moved to. I swear I feel like I'm in the 1950s, minus all the Tesla's driving twice the speed limit.
I’ve been watching dream home makeover on Netflix, it’s set in Utah, not sure where exactly.

They redecorate peoples houses.

Man what a beautiful place it looks to be, the houses are amazing, all a similar style to yours. And the mountains all around, the snow in winter. It looks incredible.

I’m not sure if the house style is unique to utah or if it’s normal in USA but we do not get houses like that in Australia.

And the people all seem so nice and entrepreneurial. I guess it’s tv and the redecoration is expensive so that filters people out but it just gave me the impression of being such a nice wholesome place.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Turns out the 'Henan tanks' were an old video of a Shandong military exercise.

Even the hotel in the pic is related to a Shandong one.

That being said, I do find it weird to be doing tank drills in the city. Heavy tank tracks will crush the roads.
You absolutely do not need to drop religion to be unscripted !

Please keep in mind that having a belief and believing in a higher power does not equal going to church and being bossed around by "religious people" who have taken the bible and warped it to their needs. Organized religion, and religion, can be two completely different things.

Do what empowers you. If that is religion then go for it.
Most of the religious figures like Jesus, Mohammad and Buddha were rather Unscripted for their time (eg Jesus chased the cheaters out of the temple for selling overpriced sacrificial animals).

He probably needs to do a lot more chasing these days lol.

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
514%
Jul 9, 2018
"religious people" who have taken the bible and warped it to their needs.

You summed up organized religion perfectly.

During sermon:

"Money is the root of all evil. It's selfish to have more than you need and it won't help you to get into heaven"

After sermon:

"We have planned to reconstruct our church building to increase seating capacity. Your generous donations are welcome."

I'll stop here since religious discussions are a violation to forum's rules.

It's tough as I tend to get easily affected by my surroundings, and at the church, almost 80%, if not all of my friends are borderline sidewalker/slowlaner. Having thoughts of entrepreneurship and sharing it with some of them can be deemed selfish and hence a sinful representation that my mind is not focused on true godly belief, but driven by the secular thoughts of the world.

Andrew, all your slowlaner friends/church goers are employed by an Entrepreneur. Think about that. Jobs come from businesses started by entrepreneurs.

Entrepreneurship is a noble profession where you make other people's life better in various shape and form. The money you receive is a "thank you" to what you did.

Money is proof you helped your fellow man - MJ DeMarco

I recommend listening to @Kak talking about how he applies wisdom from bible to his own business: ‎Kyle Keegan Radio Show: Biblical Business Wisdom: Planting Trees By The Water - Ep 258 on Apple Podcasts

It could offer you a different perspective.

Here's another one where he sits with an Jewish rabbi and talks about business and how Jews are good at it: Rabbi Daniel Lapin Joins Me To Discuss Business and Culture - Ep 53

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Andrew, all your slowlaner friends/church goers are employed by an Entrepreneur. Think about that. Jobs come from businesses started by entrepreneurs.
It's tough as I tend to get easily affected by my surroundings, and at the church, almost 80%, if not all of my friends are borderline sidewalker/slowlaner.
Zoom in into mens' fellowships and even workplace ministries.

The real work in the faith gets much focused and better as you niche down into smaller groups with a more sharpened focus on a few key areas. Same with networking.

BlueSeoul

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 10, 2022
Singapore
You summed up organized religion perfectly.

During sermon:

"Money is the root of all evil. It's selfish to have more than you need and it won't help you to get into heaven"

After sermon:

"We have planned to reconstruct our church building to increase seating capacity. Your generous donations are welcome."

I'll stop here since religious discussions are a violation to forum's rules.

Entrepreneurship is a noble profession where you make other people's life better in various shape and form. The money you receive is a "thank you" to what you did.

I recommend listening to @Kak talking about how he applies wisdom from bible to his own business: ‎Kyle Keegan Radio Show: Biblical Business Wisdom: Planting Trees By The Water - Ep 258 on Apple Podcasts

It could offer you a different perspective.

Here's another one where he sits with an Jewish rabbi and talks about business and how Jewish are good at it: Rabbi Daniel Lapin Joins Me To Discuss Business and Culture - Ep 53

Welcome to the forum!
@Roz thanks for the sharing of the podcast. Had a listen the past hour. Rabi Daniel really nipped it in the bud. I think it's beyond religion, but more on how the culture has been shaped to grow to believe money is evil, rich people are evil, etc. I.e. sideline/slowlane conditioning.

The example of money portrayed in movies by rich people always being used by the villain made it clear. Haha.

Have you read his book? Sounds interesting.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Toronto’s airport is now worst in the world for delays.

We’re finally ranked #1 for something!

Last edited:

Prince33

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 9, 2020
Latvia
If you want to get out of scripted, cliche, boring ‘travel’, go do something with ‘the adventurists’.

Took a rickshaw 2000 miles across India in January of 2020.
Flipped it and ended up in the hospital

Got attacked by monkeys the next morning

Broken down and needed to get a new engine ($40 lol)

New experiences every single day. Had an absolute blast trying not to die.

View attachment 44473

View attachment 44474
Talk about travel stories for your grandchildren. Lmao

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
If you have a WSJ subscription, the below is a good read and loaded with lessons. If you don't, click "read me" below:

One interesting change that led to their "downfall" was a similar strategy that amazon used - creating their own private label brands for different categories. They removed leading household name brands and COVID hit leading to supply chain bottlenecks essentially delaying their own private label products from hitting shelves. So not only did they scale back on other brands, they were now left with empty shelves. Once their own private label products came in, customers didn't like them...

It's interesting, amazon has now scaled back on their own private label brands with a plan to quit the business entirely. The article also lists a few other retailers that tried private label and failed. Very interesting case study.

Mark Tritton arrived at Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. in 2019 with a plan to revive the home-goods retailer and ward off competition from Amazon.com Inc., Target Corp. and other large chains: sell what nobody else has.

Switching to private-label brands has worked for many retailers. At Bed Bath & Beyond—beloved for its 20% off coupon and massive product selection—the changes alienated customers and sent sales into free fall.

Mr. Tritton stepped down as chief executive in June, and the company is fighting to stay solvent. It ended May with roughly $100 million in cash, after burning through more than $300 million of its reserves and borrowing $200 million from its credit line.
Bed Bath & Beyond’s stock has fallen to around $5 a share, down more than 90% from its high of about $80 in January 2014.

Mr. Tritton ushered in changes faster than the retailer could build systems to support them, according to people familiar with the company’s operations. To make room for the new “owned brands,” as Bed Bath & Beyond calls its private-label items, it scaled back brand names like All-Clad cookware, OXO kitchen gadgets and Mikasa china and sold what it had in stock at hefty discounts, the people said. It wound up with empty shelves as C0VlD-19 factory closures and shipping bottlenecks delayed the arrival of the new private-label goods. Once the items hit stores, they didn’t resonate with shoppers.

“My customers would look at the private label and say, ‘What is this?’ ” said PJ Gumz, who worked at Bed Bath & Beyond for two decades, most recently as a store manager in Irvine, Calif., until the location closed in March. She said that when she tried to persuade shoppers to buy dishes under the Our Table or Wild Sage brands that Bed Bath & Beyond developed, they’d say, “Where is Mikasa?”

The company is now walking back some of Mr. Tritton’s plans, including the extent of private-label offerings. “We think that the customer wants to see more of an optimal balance of national brands, direct-to-consumer brands and company-owned brands,” Sue Gove, a Bed Bath & Beyond director and interim CEO, told analysts last month.

Mr. Tritton declined to comment.

Bed Bath & Beyond was at a disadvantage when the pandemic hit. Its supply chain was antiquated, its website was clunky and it didn’t offer services like buy-online, pick-up-in-store that many retailers had rolled out years earlier. As a result, it was unable to capitalize on the home-goods boom to the extent that other large chains did. Bed Bath & Beyond’s net sales declined in the three months ended Aug. 29, 2020. During a similar period, sales of home-related items grew more than 30% at Target.

Sales of small appliances, home textiles and housewares jumped 42% in the 12 months ending in February 2022, compared with the same period two years earlier, according to market-research firm NPD Group. Bed Bath & Beyond’s sales fell by a similar percentage over the same period, though some of the decline was due to divestitures and permanent store closures.

Eric Mangan, a spokesman for Bed Bath & Beyond, said the company’s supply chain wasn’t established enough to respond to the disruptions caused by the C0VlD-19 pandemic. He added that after years of underinvestment, the company made significant strides during Mr. Tritton’s tenure to modernize its technology and infrastructure. It improved its website and mobile app by upgrading search capabilities and navigation, launched a marketplace featuring items from third-party sellers and added or expanded buy-online, pickup-in store, curbside pickup and same-day delivery.

Mr. Mangan said the company has taken steps to conserve cash, such as reducing capital expenditures by $100 million, including putting store remodels on hold.

Companies across industries are making a bigger push into private-label goods that are designed and produced by retailers. These products are typically more profitable for retailers than national brands because they cut out wholesalers. The items that become hits can also drive traffic to stores since they are exclusive to a given chain.

Companies added more private brands during the pandemic, because it gave them greater control over their supply chains and provided a less-expensive alternative for inflation-weary consumers, analysts said.

A fifth of grocery and general-merchandise shoppers surveyed in December 2021 by McKinsey & Co. said they bought more private-label products during the pandemic, when there were shortages of branded goods. More than 90% of those surveyed indicated they would continue to buy as many or more private-brand products after the pandemic.

Retailers that have added private-label products in recent years include grocery chains like Kroger Co., pharmacies such as Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc., and big-box chains like Target, which has more than 45 of its own brands that account for one-third of the products it sells. Amazon made a big push into private label, but is now reversing coursedue to poor sales of the brands, an outcry from rivals about copycat designs and regulatory pressure.

Private-label is as old as retailing. Macy’s Inc. sold private-label whiskey in the 1800s, according to Christopher Durham, president of Velocity Institute, a trade association for private brands. The Craftsman brand of tools popularized by Sears, Roebuck & Co. dates to 1927.

The modern incarnation arrived during the recession of the 1970s, when grocers launched white-label canned goods that were cheaper than national brands, but often of inferior quality. Quality improved in the 1980s and today many private-label products are at least as good as name brands, Mr. Durham said. Costco Wholesale Corp. gets about a quarter of its annual sales from its Kirkland Signature house brand, which it puts on everything from milk to golf balls.

Bed Bath & Beyond got its start in 1971 selling name-brand home goods at a discount thanks to its ubiquitous coupon, so popular that it became a cultural touchstone. Some loyal customers collect the blue cards, good for 20% off a single item, and bring batches of them to the store. Instead of a centralized buying team, store managers purchased 70% of the products, allowing them to customize selection by location.

Store managers knew, for instance, that duvet covers sold best on the coasts, but not in the Midwest, where shoppers preferred comforters.

Bed Bath & Beyond followed a “pile it high, let it fly” philosophy with goods sometimes stacked to the ceiling, giving its stores a cluttered, treasure-hunt feel that shoppers loved.

“I used to find so many things that I didn’t need, that I’d end up buying anyway, like July 4th-themed corn holders,” said Caitlin Canderan, a 35-year-old marketing executive who lives in Chicago.

After years of strong sales growth, revenue started to slip in 2018. The company’s systems were too outdated for the shift to online shopping. The troubles attracted activist investors in 2019, who overhauled the company’s board and ousted its founders.

Mr. Tritton joined Bed Bath & Beyond with a mandate to modernize the home-goods chain in November 2019 from Target, where as chief merchant he was in charge of product selection and had successfully launched private brands.

He cut jobs, closed underperforming stores, and pledged to invest $250 million over three years to upgrade its supply chain. He raised money by selling noncore businesses and by selling and leasing back real estate, including the company’s Union, N.J., headquarters. The company currently has about 955 stores, including nearly 770 Bed Bath & Beyond locations. It also owns the Buybuy Baby and Harmon Face Values health and beauty chains. At its peak in 2018, it had more than 1,550 stores, including over 1,000 Bed Bath & Beyond locations, as well as Cost Plus World Market, Christmas Tree Shops and other chains it has since sold.

In November 2019, when the stock was trading around $13 a share, the board authorized spending $1 billion on a three-year share-repurchase plan, which the company completed a year ahead of schedule. Mr. Mangan said the stock buybacks were funded from the sale of the noncore assets.

A centerpiece of Mr. Tritton’s strategy was to streamline offerings and add more private-label brands to reduce the competitive threat from Amazon, Target and other large chains. “We’d have to price-match an All-Clad cookware set,” said Rob Small, a Southern California merchandise manager who left the company in 2020 and is married to Ms. Gumz. “If we had our own line we wouldn’t have to price match.”

In October 2020, Bed Bath & Beyond said it would launch more than 10 private brands in 18 months, including the addition of thousands of new products in what was billed as the biggest change to its assortment in a generation. Mr. Tritton told analysts the private brands would boost margins and give shoppers a reason to visit its stores. “This builds loyalty and long-term association,” he said during an investor presentation at the time.

Bed Bath & Beyond’s sales rose 49% in the spring quarter of 2021, compared with a year earlier, when stores were closed for Covid lockdowns. Mr. Tritton presented results to the board showing that some of the early private-label launches—such as the Simply Essential line of bed, bath, kitchen, dining and storage items—were well-received by shoppers, according to some of the people with knowledge of the company.

Some of that buying was due to consumers stocking up while sheltering from the pandemic. As that demand ebbed, the sales gains quickly evaporated. By August 2021, sales were falling, and they continued to drop for the next three quarters.

One big mistake was rolling out so many brands before the company had the systems to support them, according to the people familiar with the company and analysts. Target, Macy’s and other retailers with large private-brand portfolios spent decades developing the design and sourcing teams to produce the brands, and they marketed them with hefty advertising budgets. Bed Bath & Beyond also lacked the warehouses and logistical systems to import items directly from Asia.

“Bed Bath & Beyond had a decentralized distribution model with most of the merchandise going directly to stores from vendors,” said Seth Basham, an analyst with Wedbush Securities Inc. “That is very different from most big retailers that hold goods in distribution centers before trucking them to stores.”

Mr. Mangan said the company is in the process of establishing a network of distribution centers.

To make room for the new private-label goods, it trimmed its selection of name-brand items. These days, Bed Bath & Beyond stores are mostly filled with its own brands selling at lower prices than a small selection of similar name-brand items. A 10-piece stainless-steel cookware set under Bed Bath & Beyond’s Our Table brand was recently on sale for $50, compared with an eight-piece All-Clad set for $649.99. Bed Bath & Beyond’s Simply Essential spatula sells for $1, compared with an OXO version at $11.99.

On a recent trip to a Bed Bath & Beyond store, Ms. Canderan was disappointed with the Squared Away private-label storage bins. “The bins were misshapen,” Ms. Canderan said. “They felt really cheap.”

Mr. Mangan said the owned brands are designed to deliver quality and affordability. He added that the company reduced underperforming brands but that the most popular national brands still represent a significant portion of its business. Mr. Mangan said the owned brands now account for a quarter of Bed Bath & Beyond’s sales, exceeding its goal of 20%, up from 10% in 2020.

The shift to private label required Bed Bath & Beyond to centralize buying to get the best prices with factories. Store managers, who were used to tailoring their assortment to the tastes of their communities, were now told by the corporate office what to buy and where to place the items in stores, the people close to the company said.

“We’d get large quantities of stuff that we couldn’t sell,” Ms. Gumz, the former California store manager said. She once got a shipment of 95 purple rugs under the Wild Sage private brand that she had to discount by 80%.

Bed Bath & Beyond already had a private-label brand that was popular with shoppers. It bought the North American rights to Wamsutta bedding in 2012. Mr. Tritton removed the brand from stores because he didn’t like the name and felt it didn’t appeal to younger shoppers, the people said.

Mr. Tritton wanted the stores to look identical and less cluttered. Managers had to thumb through the “Blueprint,” a 400-page book that detailed where each item should be placed, Ms. Gumz said. “Our customers liked that the stores were personalized,” she said. “Now, they are cookie-cutter.”

Mr. Mangan said the centralized buying takes into account local consumer preferences and that Wamsutta remained available online and the company plans to reintroduce it to stores.

Mr. Tritton updated employees on the progress of his strategy, including the new brand launches, on weekly video calls, the people said. Some employees soon noticed a worrying sign. Although the private-label products were marketed through emails, social media and in company circulars, the rate at which shoppers were buying many of the items was lower than anticipated, showing the brands were having trouble getting traction, some of the people said.

In the three months that ended March 28, net sales fell 25% to $1.46 billion. The company’s net loss widened to $358 million from $51 million a year earlier.

Activist investor Ryan Cohen, the billionaire co-founder of online pet-products retailer Chewy Inc., took a big stake in Bed Bath & Beyond earlier this year and pushed for changes, including a sale of its Buybuy Baby chain. The company reached a settlement with Mr. Cohen in March that included the addition of three new directors and said it is evaluating options for its baby division.

In a March 6 letter to Bed Bath & Beyond’s board, Mr. Cohen said the company would have been better served by first modernizing its supply chain and technology before tackling other pursuits and that it should have focused on its core products to ensure it had the right inventory during the supply-chain disruptions, rather than rolling out so many private-label brands.

Once-loyal shoppers are going elsewhere. Sarah Penrod, a professional chef who lives in Dallas, said Bed Bath & Beyond used to be her go-to store for All-Clad cookware and Wüsthof knives. “I’m not finding those items anymore,” the 38-year-old said. “Most of the stuff they have now is very basic.”

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
@MoneyDoc

Toronto’s airport is now worst in the world for delays.

They are doing it on purpose. Canada also wants to roll out the digital ID that will "make travel easier".

What better way than to make travelers lives hell, and then offer them a convenient "solution"

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
We’re finally ranked #1 for something!
I have two trips to TO scheduled, not looking forward to this... Will try to have carry on luggage only, friends tell me it solves a lot of problems for travellers.

Mat79

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 2, 2020
Dallas, TX
I heard Jordan Peterson say that it's known that pronouns thing can cause confusion in young female psique.

Argentina: The peso just went negative 40% against the dolar in a week... after the guy in charge of the economy resigned. Hmm ok.

My situation: So I got enough for at least 1 year in Brazil by the beach. Figure out what business to start.

Thinking on learning to code, video editing or other valuable skill. I learned quite some ecommerce in the last few years but not feeling very confident in this world environment so the valuable skill learning seems like a safe bet.

Ideally If I learn coding (most difficult and time demanding path) I can get in the software industry and as I work there look for problems to solve with a fastlane business.

Thanks if you read so far appreciate your thoughts on a different valuable skill to learn.

What do you find "easiest" to do? While you shouldn't necessarily just do what's easy, you'll probably excel more doing something you find relatively easy compared to something that you feel is hard from the start.

I actually think coding is relatively easy for me compared to other things I could do and I enjoyed doing it, but I don't do it now as a career because I started developing carpal tunnel syndrome from spending 12 hours+ on the computer a day.

Confidence is something you'll gain the more time you invest in building your competence. You can do almost anything there is a demand for in the market. But try to pick something that you enjoy to some degree to start to focus on and you'll probably be gar more successful. You can add on other skills later. Also just try working on different projects in different areas to see where you might have the most skill and interest.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
What do you find "easiest" to do? While you shouldn't necessarily just do what's easy, you'll probably excel more doing something you find relatively easy compared to something that you feel is hard from the start.

I actually think coding is relatively easy for me compared to other things I could do and I enjoyed doing it, but I don't do it now as a career because I started developing carpal tunnel syndrome from spending 12 hours+ on the computer a day.

Confidence is something you'll gain the more time you invest in building your competence. You can do almost anything there is a demand for in the market. But try to pick something that you enjoy to some degree to start to focus on and you'll probably be gar more successful. You can add on other skills later. Also just try working on different projects in different areas to see where you might have the most skill and interest.

I've created diferent health products based on my production of CBD. With great success in regards of impact on my clients life (many thank me cause they say my product that is kind of magic for insomnia, stress, pain etc). But not so great scaling and totally demotivated to go forward now. My main product price was $40 two years ago, now with the latest devaluation of the peso, is almost $13, and the dolar is worth less now than it was two years ago, so yeah kind of brutal. Yet I still make sales without any ads and doing nothing to move foward my brand, I think that kind of shows a productocracy. My ideal scenario would be to create a great product in the form of software and use my learnt marketing skills to sell sell sell.

I also think I could do great selling tea, of plants that are actually great for health and cheap to get wholesale, but few know about them. Thing is, with 7% inflation monthly and imminent social and long term also demographic catastrophe, nothing seems viable if it's based on my geographic location. I will probably continue to do videos and develop digital products, since just studying programming and having no business at all wouldn't be to my taste. It's nice that i'm basically leting my current business die and I still make sales and people just so badly want to put their money on my pocket lol. Those sales def. help confidence.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

FlimsyInfiniteFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland

Guru advertising and branding makes me have no interest whatsoever clicking this video. I'm not saying he's a guru or anything just how I've been influenced now. Now if it was a caption on a offline business growing to multiple locations, I would click it.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Guru advertising and branding makes me have no interest whatsoever clicking this video. I'm not saying he's a guru or anything just how I've been influenced now. Now if it was a caption on a offline business growing to multiple locations, I would click it.
You do you. It's a guru-ish title, I'll give you that.

But I find Pieter very interesting and inspirational.

No guru bs imo. He's build a handful of websites making him a few millions per year, without raising any capital.

He's a solopreneur, only working with a few contractors.

He's creating websites with actual value. Not selling bs courses etc.

I can recommend following him on Twitter.

And he is transparent with all his income.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
514%
Jul 9, 2018
@Roz thanks for the sharing of the podcast. Had a listen the past hour. Rabi Daniel really nipped it in the bud. I think it's beyond religion, but more on how the culture has been shaped to grow to believe money is evil, rich people are evil, etc. I.e. sideline/slowlane conditioning.

The example of money portrayed in movies by rich people always being used by the villain made it clear. Haha.

Have you read his book? Sounds interesting.

I only read the first 3 chapters and it was good.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
There’s an incredible book by Jaron Lanier called Ten Arguments for Deleting your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

Well worth reading, the guy is clearly on another level of being a genius, one of those people who is so smart and understands things so well that he can explain them in a simple way to dumb people like me.

Anyway, I genuinely think the founder of TikTok read that book and used it as a guide for how to create the most addictive and brain destroying social media platform possible.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
TikTok is F*cking cancer though. I'm not sure what the solution is there - I think that you just need to convince your kids that TikTok is for morons

Anyway, I genuinely think the founder of TikTok read that book and used it as a guide for how to create the most addictive and brain destroying social media platform possible.
1658688897119.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Is it just me or does it seem like parenting is heading downhill after each decade?

I sometimes compare my childhood to those around me that are just growing up (nephews, nieces, second cousins) and I’m very worried as to how their futures might be. Who the hell let’s a 10 year old scroll on tik tok and snapchat for 5+ hours a day? Why does a 10 year old have a smartphone to begin with? How are we going to churn out brilliant surgeons, entrepreneurs, judges, teachers, when the parents are also glued to their phones 24/7. Obviously there are exceptions as I’m sure @Kak and @Antifragile are great young parents, but it’s just a scary trend I’m noticing around me.

Also, don’t even get me started on manners. Break something in someone else’s house? Good job kiddo! Here’s a chocolate! Throw a remote at someone else’s tv? Good job kiddo! Throw it again! Explanation for all this? “They’re just kids”.

We habitually settle for less than our best; at work, in school, in our relationships, and on the playing field or race course. We settle as individuals, and we teach our children to settle for less than their best, and all of that ripples out, merges, and multiplies within our communities and society as a whole.

- David Goggins

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
There’s an incredible book by Jaron Lanier called Ten Arguments for Deleting your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

Well worth reading, the guy is clearly on another level of being a genius, one of those people who is so smart and understands things so well that he can explain them in a simple way to dumb people like me.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I was looking for something exactly like this. Just bought this.

ca.png

I'm also looking for a book on the negative effects of screen time in general if you have any recommendations.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Short form video is terrible, yet feels inevitable in today's world.

I find myself watching less and less stuff on YouTube because almost every single channel I follow now publishes shorts.

I check new uploads and have to sort through shitty shorts I have zero interest in. Since I mostly watch YouTube on desktop, I also find the narrow format extremely annoying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.