The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Question] At 22 years old, how do I stop life flying by so fast?

Anything related to matters of the mind

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
I'm a 22 year old college student, graduating in the fall. I got hired to work an internship this summer in IT, a basic 8am-5pm IT job. I'm content with everything going on in my life, however, I feel like the days have just been flying by and I get a slight negative feeling when I look back and think, "damn, it's already July 1st? Feels like June 1st was yesterday".

I try to build good habits like working out, following a diet, reading everyday, working on business ideas everyday, meditating every day, etc. But even with these habits in place it still feels like my time is short and I'm not using my time wisely at all. From the 8 hours a day I spend at work, I probably have 5-6 hours of downtime.

Can anyone help me with some advice on this? I really don't want my summer to speed past me, feeling like I did nothing good.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Do some good things and write down what you do. When you look at the journal of the summer and it has all those entries in it, you'll feel the sense of time and accomplishment.

D

Deleted50669

Have some social and personal goals outside of work. That's what adds meaning to life, ultimately. You remember the days you had a new experience or reached a new achievement, that's what keeps every day from seeming like the last.

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
Use that time to go over book summaries and read posts on here from people you like.

Life going by fast is relative, just live as best as you can, some people might feel it go by slow but their lives might be horrendous.

Keep getting better and you'll make it bro!

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
What would feel like using your time wisely?

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
There are two ways I am aware of.

1. Break the routine – do new things. When you were a kid, life was full of new stuff. For a newborn, everything is new – colors, shapes, eating, walking, playing. Once you grow up, everything gets repeatable. Break the routine, start new hobbies, go to new places, meet new people.

2. Work on your awareness (mindfulness). Focus on here and now. Kids can watch ants walking around for hours. Adults daydream a lot thinking about the past or the future.

meditating every day

This should help a lot with mindfulness!

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
This book really wowed me about time and time perception. I truly recommend it to anyone. A very quick read and adds light years to your life :)
Slipstream Time Hacking: How to Cheat Time, Live More, And Enhance Happiness
Benjamin P. Hardy

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
I am right there with you man. 24 and just watching time fly by every day without really accomplishing much.

Greg Behnke

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 22, 2012
Scottsdale Arizona
In the not so distant future, summers will be like other seasons. At your age, I would be exploring what you truly want to do with your life and set some short, medium, and long term goals. I recently reviewed some of the goals I wrote down in college 15 years ago and it was eye-opening to see that about 90% of them have happened.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
I'm a 22 year old college student, graduating in the fall. I got hired to work an internship this summer in IT, a basic 8am-5pm IT job. I'm content with everything going on in my life, however, I feel like the days have just been flying by and I get a slight negative feeling when I look back and think, "damn, it's already July 1st? Feels like June 1st was yesterday".

I try to build good habits like working out, following a diet, reading everyday, working on business ideas everyday, meditating every day, etc. But even with these habits in place it still feels like my time is short and I'm not using my time wisely at all. From the 8 hours a day I spend at work, I probably have 5-6 hours of downtime.

Can anyone help me with some advice on this? I really don't want my summer to speed past me, feeling like I did nothing good.
Sounds like life sucks for you. Everyone’s life speeds up as time goes on. Will your life be like a meteor with sparks or a piece of poop being dragged on the sidewalk? Take risks and enjoy yourself. Life is short so make the most of it

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
But even with these habits in place it still feels like my time is short and I'm not using my time wisely at all. From the 8 hours a day I spend at work, I probably have 5-6 hours of downtime.

I really don't want my summer to speed past me, feeling like I did nothing good.

There are a couple of things at work here, how you deal with them is up to you.

The first thing is that at 22 you were a child not so long ago, 15 is not such a distant memory to you, when time seemed to stretch out to infinity. I remember being 10 and not even being able to imagine what it would be like at 16. Six years seemed like it would never pass!

I'm sure you have had similar feelings, and quite simply put, your perception of time has changed and therefore events seem to whizz by a lot quicker. This effect will wear off in a few years.

The second thing that could possibly have an influence on your general psyche, is social media. Seeing others like you, doing so well makes you think that you are not doing enough. Even dropping into this forum and reading a post about a 17 year old who is already on his/her way to the fastlane may give you feelings of anxiety.

It's pretty easy to deal with that, just don't go on these sites so much. Also make sure you take them off your phone as that is the fastest way to let them run your life. When you visit this forum, only go to threads that are about subjects that you are interested in finding out more about. Don't read the motivational success stories until you have chosen your path. Also remember that your path may change, so don't worry about choosing the right one straight away.

Lastly you are aware of something else other than burning your life away at a 9-5 job, and therefore you are getting anxious that you will do just that and burn all your time up.

Get over this by researching what you want to do to get you out of your 9-5. Namely find some online or real world courses and enrol in them. Learn new skills, and how to apply them which will give you a sense of moving towards a goal.

Ultimately you will look back on this time in 20 years and think to yourself "Wow, I had loads of time then, I should have enjoyed it a bit more!"

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
There are a couple of things at work here, how you deal with them is up to you.

The first thing is that at 22 you were a child not so long ago, 15 is not such a distant memory to you, when time seemed to stretch out to infinity. I remember being 10 and not even being able to imagine what it would be like at 16. Six years seemed like it would never pass!

I'm sure you have had similar feelings, and quite simply put, your perception of time has changed and therefore events seem to whizz by a lot quicker. This effect will wear off in a few years.

The second thing that could possibly have an influence on your general psyche, is social media. Seeing others like you, doing so well makes you think that you are not doing enough. Even dropping into this forum and reading a post about a 17 year old who is already on his/her way to the fastlane may give you feelings of anxiety.

It's pretty easy to deal with that, just don't go on these sites so much. Also make sure you take them off your phone as that is the fastest way to let them run your life. When you visit this forum, only go to threads that are about subjects that you are interested in finding out more about. Don't read the motivational success stories until you have chosen your path. Also remember that your path may change, so don't worry about choosing the right one straight away.

Lastly you are aware of something else other than burning your life away at a 9-5 job, and therefore you are getting anxious that you will do just that and burn all your time up.

Get over this by researching what you want to do to get you out of your 9-5. Namely find some online or real world courses and enrol in them. Learn new skills, and how to apply them which will give you a sense of moving towards a goal.

Ultimately you will look back on this time in 20 years and think to yourself "Wow, I had loads of time then, I should have enjoyed it a bit more!"

That's exactly how it felt at 15. You're right. I also use social media a lot so you're very right about that as well.

Thank you for listening to my full post and thank you for the good advice.

DiamondDog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 3, 2016
You can't stop life from flying by so fast but you can go faster than life.

Start taking action and build something meaningful.

Ejaylc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2019

I think you're just at a point in your life where you're staying busy which is a good thing, but at a point you need to prioritize what kind of life you want and build around that. In time your goals might change and you'll focus where it's important to allocate time.

A big chunk of your time goes to work and I would say learn every single you can about the industry you're in. I used to work in IT and I would sell to governments and I soaked up all the information from where the manufacturers were, which products were hot on the market, all the way down to how the systems worked behind the scenes and where things can be improved.

As far as exercise goes I see a lot of guys spend to much time at the gym. Now I'm not the fittest guy on the planet but in general 45 mins to an hour is fine and even better if the gym is close to you. Its all about the consistently of going.

You're young and you have the stamina to keep hustling for hours on end so take advantage of that.

There's an article by Marc Andreessen where he doesn't keep a schedule but a word document and he prioritizes things that need to be done in 3 segments. For example, a to do list, watch list, and a later list. If you google the article you can find it for sure. It might work for you or it might not but you can experiment with different systems that work for others also.

Hope that helps a bit.

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
Get used to it! It only speeds up as you go along! I'm 37 and 22 feels like it was yesterday!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
This book really wowed me about time and time perception. I truly recommend it to anyone. A very quick read and adds light years to your life :)
Slipstream Time Hacking: How to Cheat Time, Live More, And Enhance Happiness
Benjamin P. Hardy

Reed, thank you for recommending this book! I never knew about it and started reading it last night. I read up to page 30 last night, and for those wondering... It's pulling, thought-provoking, and I highly recommend it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.