The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Have you ever heard of Quantum Valley?

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Silicon Valley in California - a geographic region that is home to a huge tech and business ecosystem.

Quantum Valley is a similar thing in Kitchener-Waterloo (Ontario, Canada). It's known as "Quantum" Valley because of the quantum computing / sciences happening there, and is a fast-growing tech and business hub. It is home to companies like RIM, Google, and D2L. The Waterloo University is well known for world-class engineering, computer science, and other technically-oriented students. K-W is a region with a few hundred thousand people, and is about an hour to Pearson International airport in Toronto.

The reason I bring it up is I wanted to start a discussion about the area and the people there. Do you live there, or know anybody that does? Have you heard about any of the companies being built in that area? Do you think it's important to have an entrepreneurial / tech oriented community around you personally, or will you be able to do "your thing" well regardless of where you live?

I live two hours away from K-W but will be moving there for the winter, and may end up staying beyond if it's a good fit.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If you're interested in quantum computing then go.

RIM's decline seriously hurt the area, though.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
What’s the update here?!

Good question!

I'm not super in touch with the area - I lived in Waterloo for a little bit, then quickly got roped into the real estate scene in London, Ontario (about an hour away). I got my first multifamily property and do construction and landscaping here.

G. Wellthy, do you live in that area or have any particular interest in it?

G. Wellthy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 21, 2018
Good question!

I'm not super in touch with the area - I lived in Waterloo for a little bit, then quickly got roped into the real estate scene in London, Ontario (about an hour away). I got my first multifamily property and do construction and landscaping here.

G. Wellthy, do you live in that area or have any particular interest in it?
I did my joint business/law degree at Ivey/Western so I was there 6 years! I have particular interest in tech being the industry that saves our country while energy falls off a cliff.

Jason Sims is a realtor and property owner in London that I highly recommend meeting. He knows the city very well.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I did my joint business/law degree at Ivey/Western so I was there 6 years! I have particular interest in tech being the industry that saves our country while energy falls off a cliff.

Jason Sims is a realtor and property owner in London that I highly recommend meeting. He knows the city very well.

No kidding! I dated a girl from Western for a year - great party school! I know a few people that have done really well from Ivey as well.

If you ever feel like doing a Fastlane meetup in KWC, I'd be happy to join.

Do you know Jason personally?

G. Wellthy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 21, 2018
Yeah... picked it for the party in part... no doubt part of my delayed journey to adulthood.

Jason sold me the house I owned while in school. We have stayed in touch.

I’m not out that way much at all anymore but will keep it in mind if I am!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.