The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS] Bekit's Progress Thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
MRR could be a client that pays every month for a few articles or emails or whatever.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
MRR could be a client that pays every month for a few articles or emails or whatever.
Ohhh got it. So not necessarily a passive income MRR, but just something that you can predict will come in every month (until they cancel), rather than having to rustle up a brand-new client. That makes sense, thank you!

Saavik

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks, Bekit. :)
It seems like we're kind of in the same boat with regard to many things.
Such as:

If I build something that earns me MRR, like writing a book, producing an online course, or building a SaaS product, it will take a relatively long time to build but then the payoff is tremendous in the long run.

But I don't have the luxury of investing time and money into a long-term project at this juncture in my journey.
I've also been facing this problem of needing to invest resources, be they time or money, to get away from constant client work. In the past, I have carved out time to work on some projects that generate moderate recurring revenue for now, bit they could be way better (and better marketed) if there hadn't been the need to return to client work again and again. And without my savings from my previous job, it would have been much harder still.

I could have gone looking for investment, but I don't want to give up control and thus, I guess I have to accept a slower rate of progress than would otherwise have been possible.

I don't really think there's a way out of this conundrum. On the other hand, this is probably why investment firms exist in the first place. But I'd rather do without.

Saavik

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 21, 2018
You mean a service client, not a customer of a blog or newsletter, right?
I agree that this is a good source of MRR, and if you have a couple of satisfied clients, they'll start asking you for such arrangements without you even pushing the idea. (Which doesn't mean that you shouldn't point out this option to them, obviously.)

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Progress update:

******I MADE MY FIRST FREELANCE DOLLARS!!!!******

This calls for a victory dance. If I did it once, I can do it again. And now two separate clients have paid me real-world money, just to little-ol-me.

Who knew?

This can actually work.

Plus, I have other clients in the pipeline and more work on the horizon.

So now I'm solving different problems than I was before.

I was trying to solve, "How do I get clients?" I wasn't sure if I could believe that anyone would ever want to work with me. Now, I know that it's possible. At least some people will say, "Yes." Looking back, I see this as essentially an insecurity. I needed to see the proof of concept in order to believe it could happen. Now, I've seen it.

The new problem is, "How do I execute satisfactorily on my current client work, while still juggling all the demands of my full-time employment?"

This is a case where I'm just "building the plane as I fall through the air."

I dove in, hoping for the best, and I'm sleeping a little less while cutting down on those 14-hour days for my employer and using all my strength to shove open the space to (maybe just barely) squeak by with client communication and fulfillment of work.

Imagine a stick figure with a backpack, walking along a path. This spindly little character meets a fork in the road and decides to put one foot on each path and keep walking.

For a short time, the two paths are side-by-side, so all is well.

But then the paths begin to angle further apart.

At the same time, a bigger and bigger burden gets loaded onto the stick figure's back. Now the stick figure is basically waddling, stooped over, with a huge burden on its back, trying to keep its footing on both paths and wondering how it's going to fulfill everything.

That's a bit like how I feel at the moment...straddling two worlds (my full time employment and my freelance work) and wondering how I'll possibly juggle everything until I am ok to let go of the full-time employment path.

I'm not quite there. The total I've brought in so far through freelancing is only one-eighth of my typical month's salary (and once I take out the taxes, it'll be much less). So I am thinking I will hold on to my job for now and moonlight with these side projects...and not take on any more beyond the clients who are already in my pipeline.

Other random notes worth sharing...
  • The Upwork profile I created is bringing leads my way. People are contacting me to invite me to interview them, with zero effort on my part, despite the fact that I have zero completed jobs, zero testimonials, and rates listed at $100/hour. (Ok, I did a wee bit more than zero effort; I put in two proposals for jobs the day I created my account, and then I did three more on one other occasion. Other than that, I don't even apply. People contact me. That's kind of nice.) I've said no to a few, and put in a proposal to others, but at the end of the day, no one has hired me through Upwork yet. Guess that means that my profile copy is working, but my approach to writing follow-up messages and "cover letter" copy still needs some tweaks to get dialed in.
  • The terrified head space I was in when I started this thread has given way to a much healthier one. Now I feel like, "We're going to make it." And wow! When you're in a better head space, EVERYTHING goes better.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Progress update:

This calls for a victory dance. If I did it once, I can do it again. And now two separate clients have paid me real-world money, just to little-ol-me.

Who knew?

This can actually work.

I was trying to solve, "How do I get clients?" I wasn't sure if I could believe that anyone would ever want to work with me. Now, I know that it's possible. At least some people will say, "Yes." Looking back, I see this as essentially an insecurity. I needed to see the proof of concept in order to believe it could happen. Now, I've seen it.

The new problem is, "How do I execute satisfactorily on my current client work, while still juggling all the demands of my full-time employment?"

I dove in, hoping for the best, and I'm sleeping a little less while cutting down on those 14-hour days for my employer and using all my strength to shove open the space to (maybe just barely) squeak by with client communication and fulfillment of work.

Imagine a stick figure with a backpack, walking along a path. This spindly little character meets a fork in the road and decides to put one foot on each path and keep walking.

At the same time, a bigger and bigger burden gets loaded onto the stick figure's back. Now the stick figure is basically waddling, stooped over, with a huge burden on its back, trying to keep its footing on both paths and wondering how it's going to fulfill everything.

That's a bit like how I feel at the moment...straddling two worlds (my full time employment and my freelance work) and wondering how I'll possibly juggle everything until I am ok to let go of the full-time employment path.

I'm not quite there. The total I've brought in so far through freelancing is only one-eighth of my typical month's salary (and once I take out the taxes, it'll be much less). So I am thinking I will hold on to my job for now and moonlight with these side projects...and not take on any more beyond the clients who are already in my pipeline.

• The Upwork profile I created is bringing leads my way. People are contacting me to invite me to interview them, with zero effort on my part, despite the fact that I have zero completed jobs, zero testimonials, and rates listed at $100/hour. (Ok, I did a wee bit more than zero effort; I put in two proposals for jobs the day I created my account, and then I did three more on one other occasion. Other than that, I don't even apply. People contact me. That's kind of nice.) I've said no to a few, and put in a proposal to others, but at the end of the day, no one has hired me through Upwork yet. Guess that means that my profile copy is working, but my approach to writing follow-up messages and "cover letter" copy still needs some tweaks to get dialed in.
  • The terrified head space I was in when I started this thread has given way to a much healthier one. Now I feel like, "We're going to make it." And wow! When you're in a better head space, EVERYTHING goes better.

Very cool. I have made some progress too with freelancing. Got quite a bit of feedback now and my pay is slowly increasing. Everything has been a slow progression and now I believe I have a good understanding how it all works. About 2 weeks ago I got the Rising Talent status. I am about 8 weeks away from getting Top Rated status if I keep it up. Now, I get about 1-2 invites from people on a daily basis. I have also negotiated a deal offside with a person. I am about to post in Lex' 15 days copywriting thread on my tips and techniques.

EDIT: I actually created my own thread on my progress and tips/techniques.
Check it out here: Mastering the Upwork game with Copywriting

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Congratulation Bek. I can't remember when I made my first self employed 'dollar' but I will always remember what it feels like as every time I start a new business I get that same familiar feeling and a smile broadens across my face. :smile:

I know you are working stupid-crazy hours at the moment so the juggling is going to be tough. However you've broken through the toughest challenge of all, those mental barriers. Knowing that others see your worth outside of a safety net environment they call a J.O.B.

That breeds confidence and that will take you to the stars.

Look forward to more updates. :thumbsup:

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Great write up @Bekit. I connected with your position, being 18x2 and realizing that you missed the entrance a half-life ago.

On your spouse - A valid struggle for most married fastlaners. Rare is the couple that both fit in the driver’s seat, equally ready to plow through fear and uncertainty toward a goal shrouded by a lifetime of perceived impossibility. There is value in having a passenger instead of two drivers. Use him for perception checks, for opinion and for your murderboard. You’ll find yourself validating your decisions to him, far harder than validating to yourself. To me, that’s a largely unrecognized value - a resident critic.

Embrace the CENTS commandments early and often, it is the GPS that will keep you on the mountain.

Excellent words from all above, especially @Andy Black. He has a way of tagging along for drivers he sees fit for the trip. Heed his advice, and you’ll find yourself at your destination early.

I’d say best of luck, but that would perpetuate a myth. So - keep going!

-Brian

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Progress update:

Who knew?

This can actually work.

Congrats.

The best bit for you? Knowing you can do it.

These podcasts might help:

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Great write up @Bekit. I connected with your position, being 18x2 and realizing that you missed the entrance a half-life ago.

On your spouse - A valid struggle for most married fastlaners. Rare is the couple that both fit in the driver’s seat, equally ready to plow through fear and uncertainty toward a goal shrouded by a lifetime of perceived impossibility. There is value in having a passenger instead of two drivers. Use him for perception checks, for opinion and for your murderboard. You’ll find yourself validating your decisions to him, far harder than validating to yourself. To me, that’s a largely unrecognized value - a resident critic.

B. Cole, thank you for these words. This was helpful perspective for me just now. Validating my decisions to him is far harder than validating them to myself--you're right, that's HUGELY valuable, and easy to miss or not recognize.

[Rant Begins]
I don't know if I'll publish what I go on to write, but I just need to get some things of my chest, and this is the most productive space I can find to do it. Plus, I need to just sort out my own thinking, and maybe "verbal processing" (er- "typing processing") will help.

I'm facing what feels like some big decisions and dilemmas.

Last week, I was burning out. Hard.

I wasn't answering client emails. I was moving really slowly. I was saying to myself things like, "I've gotta snap into it." And I was barely producing any output in my day job as a copywriter.

I was feeling really envious of the high-paid copywriters who actually have the luxury of doing research on their client base or on the studies that have been conducted. They charge enough and build in generous enough timelines to actually create copy that's amazing to read and that beats a control. They're not driven hard to crank out copy, more copy, endless copy. They're free to create great copy. Their creativity and brilliance stays intact rather than being wrung out and then burned to a cinder.

On Friday, my husband and I took a walk at a nearby park that has a trail around a lake. The distance around the lake is just under 5k.

So we saw this jogger going the opposite direction around the lake, and he actually passed us three times on our journey around the lake, because he was moving pretty fast and we were just walking.

The jogger had a dachshund on a leash, and the dog was galloping hard to keep up. It was behind him and the leash was taut, pulling the dog's neck pretty hard.

My husband was really angry at the guy for cruelty to the dog.

And on Saturday, I realized...

I feel like that dog.

I feel like I have two choices.

Gallop hard, or stop galloping and be dragged by the neck.

Take on a double workload, or collapse under the pressure and end up at the mercy of the system, dependent on other people's generosity.

So I'm gamely trying to keep up with the pace that life sets for me, just for me to have basics... a roof over my head, utility bills paid, and food to eat. This is not luxury, this is the bare minimum. A 900 square foot house, no health insurance, no cable, no vacations, a 1997 Toyota Corolla.

Something has to give.

This isn't sustainable.

Towards the end of last week, I felt like I was in danger of losing my ability to write, period. If I burn out, I don't know what will be left.

So I'm desperately strategizing for what solution will give me the best bet at making it.
  • Find a different full-time job that's hopefully less exhausting while still paying the same or more, to cover my expenses while I'm trying to develop my freelance business (might work, but might land me in the exact same boat plus add a commute; it's not clear if this would solve anything)
  • Charge more money for my freelance work and don't take on little piecemeal work so that I can incur less of a mental load on myself (sort of what I'm already doing, but just with bigger reward - not sure I can carry the weight of this)
  • Play really, really big and land a "whale" client who can replace my full time income for the next month or two, while giving me time to play really, really big and land the next "whale" client before the money runs out (scary, because it puts me into "feast or famine" mode before I've fully proven my concept or learned how to reliably bring in business)
  • Sell my house and move to a different country where I can cut my living expenses in half so that it's not so hard to make ends meet (I would do this, but I've lived overseas before, and I feel like the trade-off would be increased complications in navigating daily life in exchange for decreased complications affording things, plus, I think my husband would be really unhappy in a less-developed country, and this would place an additional burden on me.)
  • Change my strategy altogether: instead of trying to build freelancing into a thing for myself, take a step back, focus on building a CENTS business, and re-launch when I have something that offers me MRR and scalability rather than trying to make this service-based model work.
The idea was to use copywriting as a way for me to pay my bills with a good enough income to be flexible enough to do other things.

But I can't figure out how to even get to that point. #stumped

Yesterday, I read through every page of this thread by Kak. GOLD! - Where I have been this time... and why I'm famous at Wells Fargo

And it awakened a deep, yearning call in me, a desire to do something like THAT instead of just spinning my wheels on the little tiny things I'm trying to do to get traction and bootstrap myself into a less-precarious place.

If it's just as hard and takes just as much work for me to slave away, typing out blog posts and emails for people, as it would be for me to think dramatically bigger and harness the resources that it would take to solve a nation-sized problem...

...WHY WOULDN'T I THING BIG?

Or do I not have what it takes to think big and play big, and the evidence of that is that I don't even have the strength to handle a couple of little freelance clients on the side while I'm working full time?

In the middle of it all, my husband is deeply entrenched in sidewalk thinking and trying to talk me into believing that...

...I don't have a choice...
...Building a fastlane, CENTS business is just way too hard (why bother? why try?)...
...It's all the fault of the "evil" employers...
...etc etc etc...

So I have to not only resist this thinking (which I politely disagree with), I don't have him to strategize with me and discuss the possibilities, the implications of this choice vs that choice, the potential outcomes, the best case vs. worst case scenario.

So that's fine... I would like to have the luxury of a lot of things that I don't have. No use crying over them.
  • I would like the luxury of including him in the discussion.
  • I would like the luxury of not being weak and fallible and prone to burnout.
  • I would like the luxury of a stable launchpad from which I could make decisions without the risk of major, life-altering catastrophe. One misstep and we could be homeless.
I guess I'm feeling tension between two choices.

The first one is the pull to just succumb to the script. Settle back down into the version of life where you're an employee, and that's all you'll ever be, and you were wrong to stick your head up and have the audacity to think you could do anything different than that. It's familiar here. It's scary to take on extra pressure, extra work, extra risk. It's scary to rise up and "be somebody," to own my choices, to be assertive, to exercise leadership, to find myself in the place where it's up to me to say, "The buck stops here." It's pressure. If I just retreat, I'll stop feeling the pressure. Maybe I should just do that. Just stop fighting against the forces that oppose you. Just go with the flow.

The second is the pull to say, "NO WAY. NOT ON YOUR LIFE."

You just watch this.

I am going to play big. I am fearless. I am a leader. I will not be cowed into settling for an existence where I'm just scraping by. I do not consent to just being a victim of my circumstances.

Whatever I need to do, I'm going to do it. All these fears and doubts? Begone. Away with you. You're not welcome here in this life.

I'm going to play big, and nobody's going to stop me. Nobody's going to talk me out of it. Nobody's going to tell me no.

If somebody else can play big enough that they command all the exports from an entire country in a particular niche — then I can, too.

If somebody else can just add extra zeros to the numbers at the end of their goals and execute on that size venture when we both have 24 hours a day — then I can, too.

If somebody else can harness all the resources (financing, product development, marketing, fulfillment etc.) to put together a creative solution that nobody else has ever seen for a million-dollar (or a hundred-million-dollar) problem — then I can, too.

You know what? I'm going with option 2.

I hereby rebel against the script, and all the script stands for, and the message of the script, and the outcomes of adhering to the script. I refuse to be cowed into submission by the pressure, the fear, the potential of failure, the economic circumstances in this country, or the frowning disapproval of the scripted mentality.

I may not know all the answers of how to conduct myself and choose the best thing and behave wisely while I attempt to play big - but nevertheless, I can take that route.

And that's going to be better.

*Deep breath*

Things are going to work out.

NO FEAR.

Watch out, here I come!

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
YOU can do this Bekit!

Strong talents, a strong why, strong action taken...

The list could go on! Your strengths are amazing and can't wait to follow your progress!
Thank you for your vote of confidence!
It's easy for me to see myself as just the opposite... ordinary person with ordinary talents etc... but your words boost my spirits and encourage me! :)

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Late to the party, but amazing work!! +Rep

It only takes one sale and you're hooked :)
Thank you so much! Yeah, making those sales was exciting. And then, immediately afterward, it was like... *gulp* I'm on the hook to actually deliver now! Yikes... the rubber hits the road!

I was just re-reading your craigslist thread and your Definite Guide to Productized Services. Really appreciate you sharing... It's nice to follow in the footsteps of someone who has gone before me on this road.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Wow, now that I've caught up on everything...you're really going for it! Keep it up :)

Thank you so much! Yeah, making those sales was exciting. And then, immediately afterward, it was like... *gulp* I'm on the hook to actually deliver now! Yikes... the rubber hits the road!

Remember that diamonds are formed under pressure. When you look back in a year, you'll be amazed at how far you've come and how much you can REALLY handle now. Never forget that...especially when it gets tough!

Rooting for you!!!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Think big. Start small. Build flywheels. Build momentum. Build something that can snowball.

R+R=Profit (Repeat Business plus Referrals).

Did you listen to the podcasts in the “Services vs Products” thread? One guy creates content for businesses.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Hey girl, that was one hell of a head of steam you built up there. If I had been around while you were writing it I would have cleared a path for you and got the hell out of the way. Stand back, juggernaut coming through....

We all know you have got the talent. YOU know you have got the talent. And I know you are not being adequately rewarded in your scripted position (have you spoken to him about this?) I'm not for one second saying stay where you are but a decent pay raise in the meantime might prove useful.

You know what? I'm going with option 2.

Things are going to work out.

NO FEAR.

Watch out, here I come!

No doubt in my mind. You've got this Bek. Come back and read your post over if you start to doubt yourself again. You've lit the touchpaper (and we are all fired up with you). Don't you dare let that flame burn out.

You know where I am if I can be of help.

Chiara GB.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Feb 19, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Progress update:

Who knew?

This can actually work.

Congratulations to your first success!

I have to say that I am about to set up the same way of action for the next years and what you just shared is what I was expecting. But hey, the starting moment is the hardest. As you already know your journey won't be easy, you will have ups and downs but the most important thing is to believe in it and put your efforts in it.

Keep the good work up and you'll succeed!

With all the best wishes!
Chiara

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Bekit have you and hubby figured out your 'why'? time to sit down and figure out your family wheel of life. then figure out how much that costs. then create a plan to do it. then do it in half that time.

I just skimmed this thread....... Seems like you have no belief in your product. quit assing around. get a higher paying job to fuel the machine that also has less hours required so you can focus on your business. then create systems and get help so you are only doing the important stuff. raise your rates.

Pm me later and remind me to send you my Skype info....... Then we'll get into more detail and get this train on the tracks.......

Allow yourself to be awesome! chop chop!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Seems like you have no belief in your product.
You should have belief in yourself and your product @Bekit.

The two pieces of work you did for me were done in a timely fashion, and exceeded expectations.

What I was most impressed with was the process showing what you were trying to achieve with the copy, and why, and then the resulting angles to take. With the documented research and thought process you delivered we can adjust the copy to fit our clients, knowing the reasoning behind it.

I’m delighted to pay you the small monthly retainer for each client. I love that it helps both you and us.

I’ll also be delighted to commission more copy from you, and also figure out how to increase your MRR.

At some point I’ll have my course videos redone, and will then look at promoting it outside TFLF. I’ll speak to you in the first instance to find out how we can create a win-win doing that.

Remember: R+R=Profit

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Oh my goodness. You guys!!

Wow, now that I've caught up on everything...you're really going for it! Keep it up :)

Remember that diamonds are formed under pressure. When you look back in a year, you'll be amazed at how far you've come and how much you can REALLY handle now. Never forget that...especially when it gets tough!

Rooting for you!!!
Thank you so much for rooting for me! Great analogy about the diamonds and the reminder that when I look back in a year, I'll be able to see that I have come really far.

Think big. Start small. Build flywheels. Build momentum. Build something that can snowball.

R+R=Profit (Repeat Business plus Referrals).

Did you listen to the podcasts in the “Services vs Products” thread? One guy creates content for businesses.

This was a good reality check - Start small and build momentum. While there's a part of me that vibrates to the idea of thinking really big, there's also the realization that I need to build incremental progress. That's realistic for the level that I'm at.

Hey girl, that was one hell of a head of steam you built up there. If I had been around while you were writing it I would have cleared a path for you and got the hell out of the way. Stand back, juggernaut coming through....

We all know you have got the talent. YOU know you have got the talent. And I know you are not being adequately rewarded in your scripted position (have you spoken to him about this?) I'm not for one second saying stay where you are but a decent pay raise in the meantime might prove useful.

No doubt in my mind. You've got this Bek. Come back and read your post over if you start to doubt yourself again. You've lit the touchpaper (and we are all fired up with you). Don't you dare let that flame burn out.

You know where I am if I can be of help.

Thank you so much for believing in me! Your encouragement means more than you know. Haha I'm good at writing a good rant, but then I'm not always good at the execution needed to carry out whatever I was ranting about. So yes, I built up a bunch of steam, and hopefully that heat will carry me through to actual action and not just "inspiration and aspiration."

Congratulations to your first success!

I have to say that I am about to set up the same way of action for the next years and what you just shared is what I was expecting. But hey, the starting moment is the hardest. As you already know your journey won't be easy, you will have ups and downs but the most important thing is to believe in it and put your efforts in it.

Keep the good work up and you'll succeed!

With all the best wishes!
Chiara
@Chiara GB. thanks for your best wishes. That's exciting to hear that you're embarking on a similar journey. Any way that I can be of service to you as you get started?

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
@Bekit have you and hubby figured out your 'why'? time to sit down and figure out your family wheel of life. then figure out how much that costs. then create a plan to do it. then do it in half that time.

I just skimmed this thread....... Seems like you have no belief in your product. quit assing around. get a higher paying job to fuel the machine that also has less hours required so you can focus on your business. then create systems and get help so you are only doing the important stuff. raise your rates.

Pm me later and remind me to send you my Skype info....... Then we'll get into more detail and get this train on the tracks.......

Allow yourself to be awesome! chop chop!

Wow, @ZCP ...
I read this and when I got to "no belief in your product," I was like, "How does he know????"

So I thought it over. The simple fact that you identified this clarified a lot of things for me. I wouldn't have even realized that that was one of the things holding me back. But after you put it into words, I realized that if I'm sitting over here privately thinking, "Yeah, I do copywriting, but whatever. It's just some random thing that I stumbled into to doing for a living," then that will affect my ability to market myself.

So I took your advice and had a detailed conversation with my husband yesterday about our "why" and connected the dots. It was a great discussion. We broke through to the point where this work I'm pursuing is NO LONGER "some-random-old-thing-that-I'm-doing-because-I-can" or "any-old-way-to-make-a-living." but something that is tied into my core, who I am, what I deeply care about, and what I'm especially built to do well.

It's like I went from being a grapevine that had grape ornaments hanging from the branches to being a grapevine that produces real grapes. Instead of my work being a random, peripheral thing that could just as easily be switched out for something else, it's something that arises from the core of my being because it's who I am.

And that is an AWESOME feeling.

I was walking around after that in a daze of jaw-dropping, wide-eyed wonder.

Now, the part about "then figure out how much that costs. then create a plan to do it. then do it in half that time." - I'm intrigued. I think I know sort of how much it costs. That's as far as I got haha. I can imagine creating a plan, but you blew my mind to smithereens with the idea of doing it in half the time.

I like it. A lot.

Even if I have no clue how to implement it.

Yet.

And then, on the heels of that epiphany, Andy chimes in with this absolutely amazing, incredible post:

You should have belief in yourself and your product @Bekit.

The two pieces of work you did for me were done in a timely fashion, and exceeded expectations.

What I was most impressed with was the process showing what you were trying to achieve with the copy, and why, and then the resulting angles to take. With the documented research and thought process you delivered we can adjust the copy to fit our clients, knowing the reasoning behind it.

I’m delighted to pay you the small monthly retainer for each client. I love that it helps both you and us.

I’ll also be delighted to commission more copy from you, and also figure out how to increase your MRR.

At some point I’ll have my course videos redone, and will then look at promoting it outside TFLF. I’ll speak to you in the first instance to find out how we can create a win-win doing that.

Remember: R+R=Profit
Andy Black, I don't know if you can possibly imagine how much this built me up, encouraged me, and solidified me in this newfound secure footing that has come from defining my why, but it certainly did.

You have been a massive source of encouragement to me from Day 1 when I posted my intro thread, and my gratitude knows no bounds. Do you realize how amazing you are? How many people you're a hero to? How many people you've helped? It's a big crowd, and I am incredibly privileged to be one of them. Thank you.

Chiara GB.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Feb 19, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Oh my goodness. You guys!!

Thank you so much for rooting for me! Great analogy about the diamonds and the reminder that when I look back in a year, I'll be able to see that I have come really far.

This was a good reality check - Start small and build momentum. While there's a part of me that vibrates to the idea of thinking really big, there's also the realization that I need to build incremental progress. That's realistic for the level that I'm at.

Thank you so much for believing in me! Your encouragement means more than you know. Haha I'm good at writing a good rant, but then I'm not always good at the execution needed to carry out whatever I was ranting about. So yes, I built up a bunch of steam, and hopefully that heat will carry me through to actual action and not just "inspiration and aspiration."

@Chiara GB. thanks for your best wishes. That's exciting to hear that you're embarking on a similar journey. Any way that I can be of service to you as you get started?

It will take some time for me to get started as I'm saving in order to start my journey first. But i'll def. get back to you once I need advice! I am now in first stages of preparing and gathering all the information I need in order to set up a solid foundation.
All best wishes to you! And keep the good work up! :) Chiara

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Bekit next steps? due dates for each?
who can you call / contact to get a sale today? contact them!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Now you have unleashed the Zane there will be no hiding.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
chop chop! what is going on here?? have you answered the man on skype? let's go!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Looks like people tagged me and I didn't see it. Also looks like it didn't matter that much because you got started, took action, and made your first sale! Rep+ Great work!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.