The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] #AndyTalks

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I must update this thread with a few of the more recent recorded calls I've done.

I've stopped using Snapchat for the moment. There's an intermittent issue with downloading a Snapchat story to my camera roll, and then uploading that video to YouTube and Facebook. The audio and video sometimes get out of sync.

I was using Snapchat as a way to make video creation fun and a new habit. I've fallen out of the habit partly because client work is picking up, but I plan on getting back into it shortly.

I'd like to do more of the flipchart style videos, and try Periscope and Facebook Live.

I listened to an interview with the founder of Periscope, and he said that the difference between Periscope and Facebook Live is that FB Live videos get seen by people who already know you, and Periscope videos get seen by people who don't.

I don't know how true that is, but last night I did a Periscope of one of my sister-in-law's 40th birthday drinks down the pub. I did it because the two guys on guitars and singing were excellent and I didn't have storage left on my camera to record any of it.

FUNNY THING!

30 people joined the Periscope live to watch, and one of them did so because he saw it was in Ireland and recognised my name from TFLF.

@Paul David then said hello in the Periscope and asked if it was Andy Black from TFLF!!!

Small world or what???

And proof that Periscope can help you get found by other people, whilst Snapchat isn't designed for discovery (at the moment as far as I know).

Expect some more activity on Periscope soon, and then some on Facebook Live.

I'll have a look at YouTube's live streaming thing later too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Makes me tune out, don't have the time to focus 100% on it unfortunately. I wish I did, because i'm sure there are many nuggets that have been missed.

Andy, my suggestion might be to delegate it to an employee soon. The way you guys are going, you may very well need to start hiring. There are undoubtedly many roles that could have a part of their job description include this type of work. PA for example.

Also, you do not need to necessarily think of it as monetising the content directly, but rather turning the (good but raw) content into something more digestible. This then becomes a part of a growing body of content that can be used as marketing material, evidence, brand building, etc. Essentially a podcast.

Why not let it begin snowballing? It's a great way to help clients get to know you in a more personal way than most marketing material can achieve. Listening to what, in many ways, is a very personal call. This will help qualify the "right clients".
I hear you @welshmin. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Editing these recorded calls is not high enough priority for me to spend money on just yet, but I can see it happening early enough next year.

I don't want it to be funded by my current client work, but to be a project that gets positive ROI in its own right.

I can now see it being part of a funnel to get more Marketing/AdWords /website clients for the agency side of my business.

I hadn't planned on devoting much resources to the video/audio content I was producing as I didn't plan to build up the client work.

However, I've really enjoyed dealing with all the local business owners I met on that course recently.

I'm getting so much work from it that it's really surprised me, and it's down to how I explain websites and AdWords to business owners.

They seem to get it, and I seem to be able to quickly get them to know, like, and trust me. And at scale too! (One presentation to 20 business owners who'd never met me and that's pretty much gained their trust and made me "The Website/Marketing Guy" in their eyes.).

I also recently did 3 hours of onsite training in AdWords, and that was mostly me chattering away and scribbling on a flipchart.

It's got to the point I don't need to plan these things... I can just go with the flow and answer questions on the fly with lots of stories and doodles.

I've been doing these for years and they always go down well.

I'd love to can these somehow, and am thinking doing live streaming videos and then getting the videos edited.

For now the recorded chats will stay in their unedited format while I get ready for another foray into video... but live this time.

It's almost getting to the point where THIS is the best use of my time to grow the (agency) side of my business.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Interesting feedback on the recorded calls:

I wouldn't edit them, for me the purpose of me listening isn't to learn from you necessarily (although i do), but to surround myself with the mental attitude of someone successful. When you say "I helped my friend and it lead to my success", I am not thinking "Who can I help, and what with?" but rather "From now on I will help whoever I can, with whatever they need".

I think ultimately its process vs events. If you were to cut the interview down into chunks of what you think is useful advice, we wouldn't get the whole picture, and it would start to feel like a serious of events without process in between.

If that makes sense...

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
I think ultimately its process vs events. If you were to cut the interview down into chunks of what you think is useful advice, we wouldn't get the whole picture, and it would start to feel like a serious of events without process in between.
I like the metaphor.

Although I might call it simply "context".

I agree. I also think that bite-sized chunks could work.

Maybe as teasers?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
AndyTalks Podcast Episode 12 was a few days ago:

A podcaster said this recently to me about Soundcloud:

I don't recommend them... there were some big rumours doing the rounds last year. Apparently they've been haemorrhaging money. I've been reluctant to suggest them as a host as a result.

So I'd better get round to doing this "properly"... whatever that means.

We'll be working through Dan Norris's document here:

Here's how Soundcloud is looking at the moment (the latest one has no views as I've uploaded it again after someone kindly got the volume levels similar between myself and Ricky).

I don't know how that first one has so many views on it. Is it people from the forum? Or is it people on Soundcloud finding it?

bq0rzsd.png

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I don't know how that first one has so many views on it. Is it people from the forum? Or is it people on Soundcloud finding it?

bq0rzsd.png

Honestly, I think that is an example in the importance/impact of getting the title of your content spot on.

"Getting started in business" has huge reaching appeal.

"Adwords optimisation" is far more niche.

Loving the new concept btw, stoked to be able to follow you both through it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

Arghh!!!! I've a backlog of about 3 calls edit and upload. I made the mistake of talking about stuff in the call that we didn't want to publish, rather than turn off the recorder at the end and then talk about stuff we didn't want to publish.

Lesson learned, and latest call loaded here:

I keep hearing people say that Libsyn is a good platform to host a podcast, so I've signed up and will get my head round it.

Billable work is a priority, but I'm still managing to sneak in calls every week. What can you NOT do?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

Getting More Done in 4 Hour Days
  • I've pulled out an 11 minute section of a Skype call and put it here.
  • Within 10 minutes of adding it to Soundcloud I've got an email telling me someone's liked it. Huh? How's the heck does this work.

I'm still determined to get the three in the hopper up online.
And get Libsyn setup and suck all the Soundcloud into it...

Billable work is still a priority.

applesack

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 11, 2017
Albuquerque
A podcaster said this recently to me about Soundcloud... [bad stuff]

There is only one place on planet Internet to get traction with podcasts: iTunes (I listen and share podcasts often and never heard of soundcloud)
Regular views? subscriptions (people refer your channel, not specific podcasts)

Notable: Pump Up The Volume: 17 Simple Tricks to Promote Your Podcast

Especially #12 -> Set up a Website for Your Podcast

Also... not sure what your interest in podcasting is, but talk radio is always looking for interviewee's that are interesting to listeners.

Check this: Seven PR Secrets for Getting on Talk Radio as a Guest to Promote Your Business | EMSI Public Relations

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

Darnit... got 4 recorded Skype calls in the hopper now that I need to quickly edit and add to Soundcloud. I don't see this happening for a bit tbh.

Meanwhile, I went a bit mad on Camtasia and doing screencasts in this thread:

As of Sat 29-Jan-17 at 00:10am... here's the views (these videos have only been shared in the forum so far):

upload_2017-1-28_0-9-25.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

Working on some "mindset" rather than "how-to" videos. Here's the first go at one. I'm not 100% happy with it, as I think I might have belaboured the point.

I'm happy with the sound quality, and the energy (I learned right at the beginning that I've more energy standing).

Interested in your feedback.

View: https://youtu.be/jiFyG5VXr-g

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

Working on some "mindset" rather than "how-to" videos. Here's the first go at one. I'm not 100% happy with it, as I think I might have belaboured the point.

I'm happy with the sound quality, and the energy (I learned right at the beginning that I've more energy standing).

A bit of feedback I've had from the above video.

Personally I'd like to redo this video with a script so that:
  1. It's tighter and shorter (maybe 90 seconds or 2 minutes?).
  2. There aren't jump cuts mid sentence.
  3. The transcription then reads as an article.
  4. Subtitles / closed captions are more readable.

Interesting how the feedback is different depending on their experience with AdWords...

Rn1pt1V.png

LJkTdVM.png

UeUvazi.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

Took about 1.5 hours to edit this video last night. Finished at 1:30am with my eyes falling out of my head.

I still want to put an intro/outro, closed captions, watermark, and build a landing page to send people to on a domain I've bought for courses and agency work.

In the meantime I've uploaded the to YouTube and FB to see if any of the 150ish followers on both channels like it or give any feedback.

(Video) AdWords Ad Extensions - Ad Teardown

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[RESEARCH]

1) I did a search for adwords on Facebook and this was near the top...
X0xk89y.png

2) Clicking the big Google AdWords image brought me here:
Google AdWords Mastery - DigitalDeepak.com
5s1ayUP.png

3) When I clicked on "View Store", I ended up here:
Deepak K
4) WTF is instamojo?
Collect Payments and Sell Online | Better than a Payment Gateway
eSg6FJz.png

5) Deepak's FB page
So this is the page you get to if you "Like this page"... Wow... lots of followers (that I can target?.
Also a good person to study.
UnOa0Kb.png

6) Just for reference. Perry Marshall is one of "THE AdWords Guys".
epG77NH.png

7) Deepak's site
Digital Marketing Tips Blog by Deepak Kanakaraju
nswecdU.png

8) Perry's site
Perry Marshall
FpkHW3P.png

THOUGHTS:
  • Both Deepak and Perry have positioned themselves as consultants and marketing experts.
  • Sure, I've my own personal brand, but my preference is to build businesses that aren't reliant on my personal brand.
  • I'd rather use my personal website, YT channel, and current FB page as my online progress threads of me on my journey. I can do tests in there.
  • Polished output can go on domains and channels that are fit for purpose - and don't have my name in them!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A "talk" with my team this morning:

e38hG3c.png

So I'm going to release an AdWords course soon.

I'd like it to be on a domain I've bought. Do we need to create a website for it now?

Nope, we can direct people to where it's hosted on Thinkific.com.

That's DELEGATED to someone in my team, and DEFERRED to a later date.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A Chat with Paloma about Creating Courses & Demystifying AdWords

I've created an AdWords course and released it into the Marketplace.

I'm in the Facebook group for Thinkific which is the SaaS platform where I've hosted my course.

I've connected with a few people in that group, and true to form I've had a chat with one of them who's interested in how I created my first course, and is interested in AdWords.

To listen to the recording just CLICK HERE.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Two pretty good recorded calls here:
They were added to the master thread of calls here:

"You don't ramble, you explore."

Someone mentioned that the sound quality could be better.

Here's the conversation:

THEM:
For what it's worth, I think if any audio/video materials are to be a part of a funnel, they might need some polishing.
For example, your talk with "Contrarian" had too much of a volume difference (he was much louder).

ME:
I consider the audio quality another part of the screening process.
I've listened to very poor quality audios of telephone recordings between serious millionaire businessmen. I hung onto every word.
For the paid course, I'd like the sound to be better, but I think it's good enough.

THEM:
Interesting about looking at it as a part of screening process. I too have hung onto some very low quality recordings and written materials, due to their substance.
Sometimes it even has the appeal of a "hidden gem". Because highly polished stuff is so obviously a product, meant for someone to consume.
Another dimension to it is looking more "real" than highly polished stuff.

ME:
Ha, interesting insights. Thanks for that. Unpolished is what we'll run with then! Mostly because it require no more work!

SOMEONE ELSE:
I'd also suggest to keep it "real".
When I started, I was all about making everything look "perfect".
I think one of the biggest lessons in the beginning for me was to just get it done. Rough is better than done. In some cases, it might even work better.
For an entrepreneur, this is crucial - buying data with a bottom line landing page and building upon that is the only way. Fiddling around for two months is not even an option anymore.
I followed your advice and I am listening to Russell's "Marketing in your car" from the beginning (currently at #8). Gosh, you even hear him taking out the trash and flipping over trash bins at one point. Speaking about rough.
I like the realness of it, because as said, these are the really valuable insights. That's also what I love about your calls - you don't ramble. You explore. And I explore with you guys. My brain goes above and beyond. Whereas, if you streamlined it, this wouldn't happen.
So yeah, keep it real. Ha :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think one of the biggest lessons in the beginning for me was to just get it done. Rough is better than done. In some cases, it might even work better.
Well you made my day. I'm still in that phase of learning how to be not so raw and rough, and balanced in the way I present myself and communicate. Although, I think part of it is I'm constantly growing as an Entrepreneur and writer, so it's always looking at yesterday, having epiphanies, and oh yeah! That's not working. And get rid of the attitude, ego, and how do I do this in a more positive way. The journey of communication itself is an experience.
Fiddling around for two months is not even an option anymore.
I agree. Action. Action. Action.
I think I'm married to my writing, work, and communication. It's now or never! :)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkMVscR5YOo

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just did my first gotowebinar as a guest this evening.
We made it a podcast actually and I used the "voice recorder" on my PC to record my side of the conversation. Dayum... I didn't even know that application existed! (Just search for "voice recorder" and it'll pop up.)

The recording will go behind a paywall but I'm really pleased with how I went through all my main stories and analogies in one call.

I'll edit down my side of the call, get it transcribed, edit it, then read it through with a slide show to make an evergreen webinar or something.

Also... I've got a nice new headset that they sent me (for free!), and it's much better quality than the headset I've been using for a while.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
[UPDATE]

Interesting. Often times when researching specific items online, I often wondered why the out-of-timing google ad would pop up ever so often, but I really like how you broke down the step-by-step of making that decision and being able to 'catch' the customer at the right time, prior to directing a google ad which can fulfil exactly what they are ready to purchase, thus assisting the seller to be 'ahead' of the game/competition.

Thank you for this. Oh btw, the videos are golden, I just subscribed and are going through a few of them, thanks for the time you invest and for sharing your genuine assistance in getting ahead.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

I've 22 recordings up on SoundCloud now and apparently Soundcloud is going to be discontinued (someone mentioned it here in the forum).
I've done a bit of research and found this inconclusive post HERE.

There seems to be a raft of platforms for hosting podcasts.
I guess I could just use dropbox too (which I did with one of the calls so I could make it private for INSIDERS only).

I don't know where I've saved all the recordings, so I will download each of them over the next few days and store them somewhere on Dropbox.

This seems to be a good way to download recordings:

@UnrealCreative ... you're in the podcasting services business. Do you have any recommended platforms to host podcasts?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Blimey... that first one has had a LOT of plays.

That's also quite a library building up there.

upload_2017-8-3_23-45-29.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Look what got delivered today - a €31 bottle of red!

I had a call with someone a couple of weeks ago and I completely forgot he said he'd send a bottle of wine to say thanks.
I'm in the wife's good books now, which is always a good thing.

upload_2017-8-29_12-29-31.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

I've not been updating this thread, but updating the AndyTalks with fellow forum members threads with the latest calls.
(This thread here: Notable! - AndyTalks with Forum Members (Master Thread))

Last night I did something a bit different and had a recorded call with @Brewer07 where we did discussed his current and possible strategies to generate more sales.
The first half of the call was audio only, then we did a video screenshare of @Brewer07 doing the keyword research and looking at competitor ads and landing pages - with me looking over his shoulder pointing things out. It could be something I do again (maybe regularly?) to help INSIDERS especially.

Anyway, here's the post linking to the two parts of the call. We put part of it on the inside.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Had a couple of people saying they missed my “Snapchat” videos. The kind of walk and talk ones I was doing a couple of years ago.

I enjoyed doing those actually. There’s something about the 10 second max per clip, and the ease of retaking a clip until you’ve got the sentence right. The Snapchat app was a great app for creating quick videos.

I’ve been recording calls and have been editing one I had a couple of weeks ago with James Schramko from superfastbusiness.com.

It’s quite an eye-opener to see how much tighter a call can be when it’s ruthlessly edited. But again, people have said they like the “rambling” nature of the calls I’ve done, and how they can almost explore topics with me as I try and work my way through something.

Some profiling I’ve done said I’m the sort of person who doesn’t like scripted, and that I often don’t know what I’m going to say until I start talking. I’ve been told to not change that.

I do think calls can be shortened (just by editing out pauses that are too long, and maybe filler words - ums and ahs).

I’ve created a new Snapchat handle and won’t be giving it out. I’ll just be using Snapchat to have a go at these walk and talk style videos again. I quite enjoyed my wee walks along the canal. It’s interesting how they slowed my brain down a bit, compared to when I’m on a call where I can go too fast for myself.

Anyway... I’ll start back up on those types of videos and vlogs, as well as recording calls I have anyway, and recording the screen for the inside of the forum I’m building, and for hitting YouTube and Facebook.

Again, I just have to make it easy to do every day... by making it the sand between the rocks in my day.

I may even start paying someone to help me edit the videos/podcasts and put those intro and outro things on, and a consistent image etc (as Fox has mentioned in his Growing a YouTube Channel progress thread).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.