The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] #AndyTalks

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

Here's the article my blab host created.

I'm currently listening to the audio, and kicking myself I didn't use my nice Blue Yeti.

http://larrygmaguire.com/expensive-adwords-mistakes

I'll be doing another blab soon where I'll be interviewing a successful entrepreneur for the benefit of fellow forum members.

Damn, but those rev.com transcriptions come back really fast. 20 minutes fast. It means I can upload the video for the day to YouTube, pay for a transcription, and wait for it while I'm creating a blog post and doing the YouTube description etc,

Then get a blog post up before hitting the hay. Nice wee habit to get into.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
#AndyTalks 031 - A Snapchat observation

(I'm trying to keep under 5 minutes now for these Vloggy things. I'll break out into longer Periscopes and Blabs soon!)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
#AndyTalks 032 - Get started. Keep Going.

Video dropped in thread here.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

I've posted video "Get started. Keep going." to LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.

I really should have created an image to go with each post, but I'll add that into my process later.

Someone read the transcript to that video when I posted it into the forum today.

They have a transcription service. How cool.

That can help me, and maybe future clients if they're consultants, coaches, or service providers.

It just goes to show that good things happen when you're in motion.

And better things happen when you move at pace!

Here's a quick summary of why I think nailing video will help my business:

WHY VIDEO?

I provide AdWords lead gen services to local service businesses. I'm slowly building a team to help me DO the work. This means my new job in my business is to GET the work (and ensure it's delivered of course).

I noticed I got some clients through my participation in the forum, but not really from forum members themselves. I didn't expect to get clients from forum members, figuring that busy business owners aren't the ones spending the most time in forums. However, a lot of forum members now know me as "The AdWords Guy", and have referred me onto other business owners.

(Side note: as a consultant, you really want to get known as "The XYZ Guy/Gal". That's the type of positioning that makes you referrable.)

I'd like to replicate what I've done in the forum, but outside the forum now.

I'd also like to go faster.

A forum member described me as prolific. I'd like to 10x that.

I think this will help more people, and help people more.

My motto this year is "Video first. Mobile first."

I think video is:
  • Only going to grow in popularity.
  • The quickest way to get people to know, like, and trust you.
  • The best way to show you know your stuff ("show don't tell").

"Video first" is also an efficient way of producing video, audio, and written content:
  • Produce the video first.
  • Pull out the audio and put it on iTunes etc.
  • Pull out the transcription and post it with the video on your blog to get Google love.
  • The transcript can also be added to the video as captions/subtitles (good on YouTube, and good for Facebook videos where they play silently in our feed).

Furthermore, some personality profiling I've had done in the past told me that I often "don't know what I'm going to say next".

It's part of why I love forums so much. They tease content out of me that I'd never have created if I just sat staring at MS Word.

Video could be a good way for me to capture my knowledge, and might help me come up with new angles and thoughts I wouldn't get otherwise.

A (heavily) edited transcription from a video can then create a good article to post on my blog, medium, etc.

I can then create a script from this article for a very short video.

That very short video can then be posted natively as a shareable nugget on all social media platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc)

I am good live, under cross-fire, and with a flip-chart.

I'm working towards doing live video Q&As.

They will add value in their own right (here's my first live interview: https://blab.im/bsodiw).

I'm not sure whether they'll be great to transcribe, but they might be good for pulling out specific answers to specific questions.

I'm also ready to do videos straight to my camera roll and then edit (get edited) to pull out something tighter than I've been doing on Snapchat.

TL;DR

Video will capture my knowledge and personality so that I can help more people to understand how to use AdWords paid search to generate leads, sales, revenue, and profit (and without losing their shirt in the process).

This will help people who'd never hire me.

It will help people outside the forum to see me as "The AdWords Guy".

This will bring in more leads and clients for my agency.

(Note that having an agency is NOT my endgoal. See AndyTalks 013 for the big vision.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
#AndyTalks 033 - AdWords location targeting tip

In this video I'll explain a little hidden setting that can save you money if you're generating leads for a local service business.

I dropped the video into this thread:

I'll get the transcription done shortly. I may use someone else instead of rev.com...

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
1) Jump on Periscope with my flip chart and start rambling. Do some of my AdWords presentations (online sales funnel stuff really), and then take questions. I wonder if I'd go over an hour? Knowing me... I think I could.

2) Get setup on Blab as a few people want to chat/shoot the breeze and then record it. I'd be interested to see how they came out.

3) In-person, local, workshops.

4) Non Snapchat, landscape videos. Short, sharp, on point. Load to Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook. (Maybe I'm spending too much time with the Snapchat app? Maybe it's helped me learn to deliver lines, and get over the silly urge I had to do it all in one take?)
Interesting was thinking about doing this myself. I notice authors are heading in this direction with there books so, I'll be glad to follow your thread. :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Blab looks very interesting and might try that one out for sure. Meerkat, Google Hangout, and Periscope seem more limited, but interesting experiment to see what one would work out the best.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
#AndyTalks 035 - The biggest mistake (part 1)

I've just dropped today's video here.

The video is only 5 minutes long.

I'm going to concentrate on this topic for the next few days and see if I can do a series of 5 minute videos until I've covered everything.

Look how fast it takes for the transcription to come back from rev.com!

MWzA3dB.png

Here's the full video for today though, where I talk a bit after the video above finishes...

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[UPDATE]

FEEDBACK

I've had some great contructive feedback from @BlakeRVA in this post.

My responses are below:

Thanks for making this video. It is a good reminder. I find myself falling in this trap of thinking I don't have anything to offer people until I get more life experience. I appreciate you explaining this truth in an easy to relate way through your video.
Thanks for the feedback @BlakeRVA. I hope it helps.

As far as your endeavor into making videos - kudos to you! As you know, starting is one of the hardest parts. I think your videos are good, but you could tweak some things to make them great. I'm not an expert, but as someone who has recently started making videos there's a few things I picked up on:
THANK YOU for the feedback. It all helps me dial it in.

Here we go...

The message you are delivering carries valuable wisdom, however, I think you could be missing out on capturing viewers attention who don't know you by the format of your videos. The short, choppy clips felt awkward to watch from my perspective. I'm not sure if you do this intentionally or if your camera can only record short clips or you are editing down the footage to prevent rambling. Either way, try disconnecting the audio from the video footage and edit it together so the audio feels like it has no breaks. I'm not sure what editing software you use, but you can do this in Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro X.
Agreed. People who don't know me probably won't consume this video. I did notice that people who do know me (even people I've not been in touch with for over 15 years!) have watched it when I posted it to LinkedIn.

Some who watched this video (and others) then shared it with their friends and fed back that they liked it.

Yes, I have to sell the click (on the play button) better, and I have to engage people quicker.

I'll get round to doing that as time progresses.

I'm using the Snapchat app to create the videos. It records video clips up to a max of 10 seconds. It's a case of making it a daily habit, which means making it frictionless and easy. The Snapchat app is both of the above, AND it's fun to use too.

Another tip, I would have the camera facing you the entire time you are speaking because the low quality, narrow shots didn't really create an interesting perspective of what you are shooting for me. This made it harder to listen to the message you were giving. I am assuming people watch your videos to hear what YOU have to say, not to see clips from your walk. You are the star of the video so make the majority of the clips feature the star.

100%. I was sat next to someone on a YouTube Editor course a couple of weeks ago. I'd mentioned in the course that I was using Snapchat to create videos, and the person next to me wanted to see one. I showed her this one and she said she much preferred to see me as I was talking.

I changed tack the very next day, and all later ones (from that day, not from this video maybe) are more talking-head style.

Lastly, consider buying a DSLR camera! An entry level DSLR will make a world of difference for your videos. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you start to learn how to use it, you won't be disappointed in buying one. I have a Canon Rebel T2i and it takes good video and they're pretty cheap nowadays ($200ish on eBay).

I think I've got a DSLR camera somewhere. It's just not as convenient for me to use as my phone, which is never more than an arm's length away from me. :)

Thanks for all that you do here on the forum! I hope you find my advice helpful.

You're welcome, and thank YOU for taking the time to provide constructive feedback!

You can read more about why I've got a motto of "Video First. Mobile First" here.

I'm taking my own medicine. :)

I'm not a video expert, but I feel I have value to offer. I'm not going to get in my own way. I "Go on the 'B' of Bang".

I did another video about that in this thread:

TRANSCRIPTIONS

As you've noticed, I've started dropping videos into separate threads is that I can get them in front of people who aren't following this Progress Thread. The whole point of doing this was to "Help more people. Help people more."

It's also handy for me to see how people interact with those separate posts. I've noticed immediately that when I add the transcription, there is more interaction. This shows the value in getting the videos transcribed.

I can also thank people who've liked those posts and ask them what they think.

Some of the feedback on those posts is that the transcriptions have really helped to solidify the message, more so than my talking for some people.

Other people like to scan the text rather than watch the video (I'd be like that too tbh).

Someone mentioned it was like listening / reading material from a mentor and lecture. Interesting feedback, thanks.

Someone said that when I get round to doing subtitles/captions, then that will really help as they are a little hard of hearing.

Someone else said that the transcriptions read very similar to my normal posts. The formatting is different as there are more paragraphs, whereas my normal style of writing a post is to put each sentence into it's own paragraph and use a lot of white space to make it easier to read.

He said the paragraphs was easy enough to read, and that it would make very looooong transcriptions if they were to be formatted like my normal posts.

All-in-all, I've very very happy with the transcriptions. I'm going to do them going forward, and only drop videos into their own threads when I also have the transcription to go with it.

Having transcriptions created is forcing me to try and speak in sentences that will also make sense to read. It's tricky, but now I'm concious of it, I'll inevitably get better at it.

I'm not going back to redo any videos just yet, as I've so much content getting added to my list to talk about.

I am in the process of getting all the previous videos transcribed though.

THANKS FOR FOLLOWING

I've started getting people following from the forum who I'd class as fellow "Producers". I think they're interested in wtf I'm doing, why, and how. Thanks for following!

And thanks to everyone for following this progress thread, for the feedback, for the questions (I'll get round to answering them all eventually!), and for the ongoing support and encouragement.

Cheers!
Andy

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've been watching blab for the last few days trying to figure out how I can utilize this site for business. I believe it may work for what I want to use it for, and taking something from another site I did in the past to get engagement, and may even do what I wanted as setting up a group or community kind of like this one. It's got my mind moving and strategic mode. Thanks Andy. If you didn't mention it, I'd still be looking for a platform that fit the way I wanted it too.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been watching blab for the last few days trying to figure out how I can utilize this site for business. I believe it may work for what I want to use it for, and taking something from another site I did in the past to get engagement, and may even do what I wanted as setting up a group or community kind of like this one. It's got my mind moving and strategic mode. Thanks Andy. If you didn't mention it, I'd still be looking for a platform that fit the way I wanted it too.
Thanks for your thoughts @Mattie

I must admit, to me at the moment all these platforms are just ways of capturing the knowledge jumbling around in my head.

Snapchat is like having a dictaphone next to you where you can jump on and record short video snippets, that I'll then get transcribed and have a video, audio, and text version.

Periscope is a way to record content whilst in front of a live audience - which brings out the best in me.

Blab allows me to to converse with someone which makes for a different type of content.

I'm using these platforms to generate and capture content at the moment.

I've not really thought about using them as platforms to deliver content live.

Let us know how you get on @Mattie

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha ha...yes, I'm looking at the periscope, hangout, snapchat, meerkat, and noticed they said blab was supposed to be knocking the others out, which I can see is possible. You can integrate power points, videos, or other information to teach or start groups. While engaging with chat as well, and sharing social media. And I notice just chatting the last few days doing nothing, I get people asking me to follow, and I mention starting one, and they say can't wait till you do. You can record on there and put them on you tube as well. I suppose it depends on what one wants to accomplish.

So, sometimes I think from being in this forum, I probably could knock some competition out on there. lol I don't know if I want to talk about business though as much but I see they're giving some crappy info out. lol And I keep saying did you read M.J.'s book. lol I suppose I'm free advertising. Aimless wanderers giving off bad information. :confused: I turn them off, it's against the Fastlane principles. I try to listen, but it hurts my ears most of the time.

I just have to decide what my plan is, but I guess that's why I'm observing and watching them, so I can do Mattie's version of the art of war. :) I think I will just talk a few weeks without doing a project live first and get warmed up talking on cam and then switch to more business stuff. I was thinking then I'll be more comfortable with it when I start.

I want to do some research on how they're executing business on there and periscope. Many authors are headed that way and hang outs. I see the coaching is possibilities too. Both my areas. Well we will see. :) I'll be keeping on your thread too. :);)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ha ha...yes, I'm looking at the periscope, hangout, snapchat, meerkat, and noticed they said blab was supposed to be knocking the others out, which I can see is possible. You can integrate power points, videos, or other information to teach or start groups. While engaging with chat as well, and sharing social media. And I notice just chatting the last few days doing nothing, I get people asking me to follow, and I mention starting one, and they say can't wait till you do. You can record on there and put them on you tube as well. I suppose it depends on what one wants to accomplish.

So, sometimes I think from being in this forum, I probably could knock some competition out on there. lol I don't know if I want to talk about business though as much but I see they're giving some crappy info out. lol And I keep saying did you read M.J.'s book. lol I suppose I'm free advertising. Aimless wanderers giving off bad information. :confused: I turn them off, it's against the Fastlane principles. I try to listen, but it hurts my ears most of the time.

I just have to decide what my plan is, but I guess that's why I'm observing and watching them, so I can do Mattie's version of the art of war. :) I think I will just talk a few weeks without doing a project live first and get warmed up talking on cam and then switch to more business stuff. I was thinking then I'll be more comfortable with it when I start.

I want to do some research on how they're executing business on there and periscope. Many authors are headed that way and hang outs. I see the coaching is possibilities too. Both my areas. Well we will see. :) I'll be keeping on your thread too. :);)
Hi @Mattie,

Watch a few blabs. See what they're about, then just start. :)

Honestly, if you're even questioning whether you're ready, then start with Snapchat. No-one can find you on Snapchat unless you give them your handle. And you can have it so that no-one can see your Snapchat Story unless you're friends with them back.

As for switching to more business stuff... I'm a bit surprised that my every day seems to interest people so much, not just when I talk AdWords / Marketing / Business. So maybe don't pre-empt it and just start.

(See Vlog 2016-04-19 I'm about to post below.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 036 - Videos & vlogging (2016-04-18 )

I love Monday!

In this 2 min video I also talk about how I'm going to embrace Vlogging and pull out bits of the Vlogs to use in my [HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] or AdWords series.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 037 - Surprising feedback on videos (2016-04-19)

I'm heading into Dublin for a client meeting, and I'm excited to get into a traffic jam and see real live adults in an office. That's what happens when you work from home all the time. Haha.

I'm surprised at feedback coming back from videos. I *think* this is confirming I should move to Vlogging and just keep producing and observe what resonates.

TRANSCRIPTION by @Drive2Riches

I'm just about to dash in to Dublin. I don't go in very often so I'm actually quite excited. Spend all of your time working at home then sometimes it's quite nice just to get out and walk into an office and see people at desks and things like that. For all you people who have to do that every day, it probably sounds a bit odd and I apologize. Honestly it's just like seeing adults walking around instead of seeing kids all day long.

I've been thrown a bit sideways with some of the responses I've had from the videos I've been creating. Literally just got a text to my phone of somebody whom I haven't spoken to in years saying "I really like your AndyTalks videos on YouTube" and...

-- so I've just been posting them just to see how to post them and obviously some people are consuming them and not commenting or anything on the LinkedIn post or on the YouTube channel or whatever, but they're obviously watching it. So that's great little feedback. Thanks very much Damien.

Something I've been doing in the FastLane Forum is taking some of my videos and dropping them in to their own little post. Short little title that I've given it on YouTube and then just seeing whether it sinks or swims. Definitely notice that when I put a transcription on it, it gets more engagement and feedback and I think it's really helping people.

I consume content and much faster when I read it than watching a video. And somebody else's response when I said I was going to eventually get subtitles put up was that they're looking forward to that because they're hearing's not the best.

My apologies for the washing machine going on in the background.

What's really interesting this morning, I've just logged in just to check if there's any moderator type of things that need to be done in the forum and I've got a few responses to one of the videos I dropped in. It's not the video I would have thought that would get responses. It starts with me waffling about watching a Alan Shearer playing Dennis Bergkamp in Newcastle Arsenal match and then my kids and then waffle, ramble, whatever, but that seems to be one that's resonating at the minute. It keeps coming back to the tagline Dan Norris has on his excellent little book, "The 7-Day Startup." His tagline is, "You don't learn until you launch." I mean, this is proof again. So I just throwing out videos and I wouldn't have predicted this one being the one that resonates with people. And then I'm getting some feedback, great feedback, and then somebody gave some feedback and I'll read it because I think it's important.

This is from user @FiftySeven and he says, "Andy, I laugh every time I watch one of your videos. Your -- Aww, shucks -- delivery style, plus sincerity, makes me feel like I'm right there with you. Keep up the good work. Thanks! FiftySeven."

@FiftySeven, thanks very much for commenting and the kind words and watching the video and all those things. Thank you very much. Glad I'm making people laugh, but I'm not intending to; I don't know what I'm doing. And my "aww, shucks" delivery style, that's just... I'm like... Yeah. I don't... Wow.

I think I shouldn't think to hard about this. I think it's just -- be me and whatever. And Snapchat -- the style -- I think helps.

But anyway, that's cheered me up and completely baffled me as well but it's also just encouragement just keep going. The other thing is upload videos that didn't make the grade that I haven't posted because because I thought, "Naww... It's not interesting. There's no AdWords in it, or business, or something." Just me and my brother being idiots and me laughing my head off and just trying to speak at the same time. Who would be interested in that? But maybe people are, I don't know. Yeah, there ya go.

Even more excited to be going into Dublin and sitting in a traffic jam and do what I used to do. It makes me appreciate not having to do it, to be honest. But Dublin's a pretty city as well. Was going to listen to the rest of the GaryVee, "[HASHTAG]#AskGaryVee[/HASHTAG]" audio book on the journey in, but I think I'll just chill and think and try not to think as well. And just let the brain try and work out what the hell's going on. Anyway, hope you have a great day.

Not a bad place to come for lunch, eh?

-- biggest pubs in Dublin to one of the smallest. Think it only fits about 20 people in there.

Strange old day. Met somebody on a client site talking about data and AdWords. Data analyst trying to learn AdWords and I could speak her language because I used to be a data guy. I had a long lunch with the Chairman of the Irish Internet Association, so that's a completely different level. If my battery doesn't run out on my phone, I'm supposed to have a chat with somebody who runs a radio station about business in Dublin or something like that. I think my battery will run out first, to be honest, so I won't start that call. I'll do it tomorrow maybe. Maybe me getting on it and talking about AdWords or something.

-- desk. Gonna go and get the kids in a second and walk back along the canal there like that. I've just finished the Gary, "[HASHTAG]#AskGaryVee[/HASHTAG]" book. I listened to the audio version because I figured he comes across better in audio. It was very, very good. Highly recommend it. It was interesting how near the end of the book he's talking about all the videos he's doing, this audio book, other things, he's leaving a legacy for his kids and his grandkids. A bit like how I was saying a few days ago that this vlogging is really interesting. It's like, y'know, Superman's throwing that little green thing out into the ice and then that structure forming and then he managed to speak to his dad, or whatever, some hologram thing. And his dad spoke to him when he was old enough to understand and... That's just a kind of powerful image for me. So that's part of my "why." A while back, people were linking to Gary Vaynerchuk videos and I was like, yeah, whatever, it's all about motivation. I'm not really interested in that. I'm motivated enough. Then I watched a few videos and that's what got me into video. I realized I got to know him so much better by watching videos -- feel like you know him. After a few days of watching videos of his, I went and bought a book. There you go; I was sold. I got know his personality, I got to know that he knew his stuff; I got to know, like and trust him. Bang. Book. Bought it. Bought quite a few of his other things now. But interestingly, I'm not following him on Snapchat any more; I'm not listing to [HASHTAG]#AskGaryVee[/HASHTAG] podcast anymore; I'm not watching the DailyVee anymore; I'm not consuming anyone's Snapchat story at the minute. I'm more interested in producing my own. Snapchat in a way forced it on me with these rolling stories that just wrecked my head but I'm more of a producer than a consumer anyway. It's my mindset. I watched from the sidelines for a little bit; see what other people are doing. Done. I'm in. I wanna have a go at it myself now.

So, yourself, if you're consuming this, are you also producing?

Tractor, two scooters and a bike. A bit small for him now.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 038 - Why I'm not "building a list" (2016-04-20)

Maan, I sure did ramble in this video!

Things I talk about:
  1. The GhostCodes app - a Snapchat directory/discovery app.
  2. Why teaching others is good for you.
  3. Why I'm on Snapchat even though my clients likely aren't.
  4. How I've accidentally generated leads from TheFastLaneForum.
  5. How I normally generate leads.
  6. Why having "clients" that you don't charge can still be good for you.

TRANSCRIPTION

(To be added)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 039 - Another way to cold-call (2016-04-21)

In this video, I talk about:
  1. How to get the web guys onside when you're an external marketing consultant.
  2. Another way to get clients if you're in the lead gen game.
(Apologies for missing the odd word off at the start of sentences... maybe I should do longer videos on Periscope...)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Watch a few blabs. See what they're about, then just start. :)

Honestly, if you're even questioning whether you're ready, then start with Snapchat. No-one can find you on Snapchat unless you give them your handle. And you can have it so that no-one can see your Snapchat Story unless you're friends with them back.

As for switching to more business stuff... I'm a bit surprised that my every day seems to interest people so much, not just when I talk AdWords / Marketing / Business. So maybe don't pre-empt it and just start.

i think I will just probably try to go on cam on blab, and see you can just do audio too. I already had some other coach and ask me to do a show with her in the future, and all she did was look at my profile and I didn't say anything. As well as people are just following me because I've been typing other people's chat. lol I don't even have anything set up. I also may have gotten a client that way too. I think if I just get on there and used too it, I'll be fine. I'm a natural once I get going.

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King
[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 037 - Surprising feedback on videos (2016-04-19)

I'm heading into Dublin for a client meeting, and I'm excited to get into a traffic jam and see real live adults in an office. That's what happens when you work from home all the time. Haha.

I'm surprised at feedback coming back from videos. I *think* this is confirming I should move to Vlogging and just keep producing and observe what resonates.

TRANSCRIPTION by @Drive2Riches

I'm just about to dash in to Dublin. I don't go in very often so I'm actually quite excited. Spend all of your time working at home then sometimes it's quite nice just to get out and walk into an office and see people at desks and things like that. For all you people who have to do that every day, it probably sounds a bit odd and I apologize. Honestly it's just like seeing adults walking around instead of seeing kids all day long.

I've been thrown a bit sideways with some of the responses I've had from the videos I've been creating. Literally just got a text to my phone of somebody whom I haven't spoken to in years saying "I really like your AndyTalks videos on YouTube" and...

-- so I've just been posting them just to see how to post them and obviously some people are consuming them and not commenting or anything on the LinkedIn post or on the YouTube channel or whatever, but they're obviously watching it. So that's great little feedback. Thanks very much Damien.

Something I've been doing in the FastLane Forum is taking some of my videos and dropping them in to their own little post. Short little title that I've given it on YouTube and then just seeing whether it sinks or swims. Definitely notice that when I put a transcription on it, it gets more engagement and feedback and I think it's really helping people.

I consume content and much faster when I read it than watching a video. And somebody else's response when I said I was going to eventually get subtitles put up was that they're looking forward to that because they're hearing's not the best.

My apologies for the washing machine going on in the background.

What's really interesting this morning, I've just logged in just to check if there's any moderator type of things that need to be done in the forum and I've got a few responses to one of the videos I dropped in. It's not the video I would have thought that would get responses. It starts with me waffling about watching a Alan Shearer playing Dennis Bergkamp in Newcastle Arsenal match and then my kids and then waffle, ramble, whatever, but that seems to be one that's resonating at the minute. It keeps coming back to the tagline Dan Norris has on his excellent little book, "The 7-Day Startup." His tagline is, "You don't learn until you launch." I mean, this is proof again. So I just throwing out videos and I wouldn't have predicted this one being the one that resonates with people. And then I'm getting some feedback, great feedback, and then somebody gave some feedback and I'll read it because I think it's important.

This is from user @FiftySeven and he says, "Andy, I laugh every time I watch one of your videos. Your -- Aww, shucks -- delivery style, plus sincerity, makes me feel like I'm right there with you. Keep up the good work. Thanks! FiftySeven."

@FiftySeven, thanks very much for commenting and the kind words and watching the video and all those things. Thank you very much. Glad I'm making people laugh, but I'm not intending to; I don't know what I'm doing. And my "aww, shucks" delivery style, that's just... I'm like... Yeah. I don't... Wow.

I think I shouldn't think to hard about this. I think it's just -- be me and whatever. And Snapchat -- the style -- I think helps.

But anyway, that's cheered me up and completely baffled me as well but it's also just encouragement just keep going. The other thing is upload videos that didn't make the grade that I haven't posted because because I thought, "Naww... It's not interesting. There's no AdWords in it, or business, or something." Just me and my brother being idiots and me laughing my head off and just trying to speak at the same time. Who would be interested in that? But maybe people are, I don't know. Yeah, there ya go.

Even more excited to be going into Dublin and sitting in a traffic jam and do what I used to do. It makes me appreciate not having to do it, to be honest. But Dublin's a pretty city as well. Was going to listen to the rest of the GaryVee, "[HASHTAG]#AskGaryVee[/HASHTAG]" audio book on the journey in, but I think I'll just chill and think and try not to think as well. And just let the brain try and work out what the hell's going on. Anyway, hope you have a great day.

Not a bad place to come for lunch, eh?

-- biggest pubs in Dublin to one of the smallest. Think it only fits about 20 people in there.

Strange old day. Met somebody on a client site talking about data and AdWords. Data analyst trying to learn AdWords and I could speak her language because I used to be a data guy. I had a long lunch with the Chairman of the Irish Internet Association, so that's a completely different level. If my battery doesn't run out on my phone, I'm supposed to have a chat with somebody who runs a radio station about business in Dublin or something like that. I think my battery will run out first, to be honest, so I won't start that call. I'll do it tomorrow maybe. Maybe me getting on it and talking about AdWords or something.

-- desk. Gonna go and get the kids in a second and walk back along the canal there like that. I've just finished the Gary, "[HASHTAG]#AskGaryVee[/HASHTAG]" book. I listened to the audio version because I figured he comes across better in audio. It was very, very good. Highly recommend it. It was interesting how near the end of the book he's talking about all the videos he's doing, this audio book, other things, he's leaving a legacy for his kids and his grandkids. A bit like how I was saying a few days ago that this vlogging is really interesting. It's like, y'know, Superman's throwing that little green thing out into the ice and then that structure forming and then he managed to speak to his dad, or whatever, some hologram thing. And his dad spoke to him when he was old enough to understand and... That's just a kind of powerful image for me. So that's part of my "why." A while back, people were linking to Gary Vaynerchuk videos and I was like, yeah, whatever, it's all about motivation. I'm not really interested in that. I'm motivated enough. Then I watched a few videos and that's what got me into video. I realized I got to know him so much better by watching videos -- feel like you know him. After a few days of watching videos of his, I went and bought a book. There you go; I was sold. I got know his personality, I got to know that he knew his stuff; I got to know, like and trust him. Bang. Book. Bought it. Bought quite a few of his other things now. But interestingly, I'm not following him on Snapchat any more; I'm not listing to [HASHTAG]#AskGaryVee[/HASHTAG] podcast anymore; I'm not watching the DailyVee anymore; I'm not consuming anyone's Snapchat story at the minute. I'm more interested in producing my own. Snapchat in a way forced it on me with these rolling stories that just wrecked my head but I'm more of a producer than a consumer anyway. It's my mindset. I watched from the sidelines for a little bit; see what other people are doing. Done. I'm in. I wanna have a go at it myself now.

So, yourself, if you're consuming this, are you also producing?

Tractor, two scooters and a bike. A bit small for him now.

Andy,

I'm laughing with JOY while viewing your vids. Love your stuff!

As for becoming "10x prolific" - bring it on!

JoeyF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 17, 2016
Hi Andy,

Great thread here. It seems we're in a similar line of work as I also help small businesses generate leads via Adwords.

I'm nearing completion of the Millionaire Fastlane for the first time and something that occurred to me is that my business meets every commandment other than (PERHAPS) Control.

So I was wondering, have you considered what you would do if Adwords came along and banned you for an some reason? What would this do to the results you are currently able to get for your clients?

I think the chances of that happening are relatively slim, but with these gargantuan ad networks, random bannings do happen, so you can never be 100% certain that you will be able to use Adwords going forward.

I feel like this is giving up control which could be a dubious proposition going forward if you are relying heavily on Adwords to bring massive value.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this :)

Cheers

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy,

Great thread here. It seems we're in a similar line of work as I also help small businesses generate leads via Adwords.

I'm nearing completion of the Millionaire Fastlane for the first time and something that occurred to me is that my business meets every commandment other than (PERHAPS) Control.

So I was wondering, have you considered what you would do if Adwords came along and banned you for an some reason? What would this do to the results you are currently able to get for your clients?

I think the chances of that happening are relatively slim, but with these gargantuan ad networks, random bannings do happen, so you can never be 100% certain that you will be able to use Adwords going forward.

I feel like this is giving up control which could be a dubious proposition going forward if you are relying heavily on Adwords to bring massive value.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this :)

Cheers
Oops... I only just spotted this.

Sure, if I get banned from AdWords, or if AdWords suddenly disappears, then I'm going to have to reposition myself from being an "AdWords Guy".

Like you, I provide AdWords services to other businesses. I help them run their own campaigns. If they get banned, then it doesn't affect my standing with Google (I don't think). If I get banned, then I can't open an AdWords account - but I can't see how that stops me from providing a service to clients. Also, I'm not doing borderline work... My clients are genuine brick-and-mortars businesses.

As for AdWords - it's not going to disappear overnight. It'll keep changing, and I'll adapt with it.

I'm not really AdWords, but lead generation via paid search. If Facebook brought out search functionality that worked, I'd likely be all over that.

The reason I'm positioned as an "AdWords Guy", is because there are businesses out there that specifically want help with AdWords (it being a large $100m+/day demonstrated cashflow).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 040 - 70 min AdWords Interview

This was a "blab" recording, which I saved to YouTube and dropped in this post.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
#AndyTalks 041 - The AdWords Impression Share Metric

Snapchat isn't working right. When I download the story to my camera roll, the audio and video are out of sync.

Time to try Periscope, and Facebook Live.

Here's a Periscope from this morning...

JoeyF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 17, 2016
Oops... I only just spotted this.

Sure, if I get banned from AdWords, or if AdWords suddenly disappears, then I'm going to have to reposition myself from being an "AdWords Guy".

Like you, I provide AdWords services to other businesses. I help them run their own campaigns. If they get banned, then it doesn't affect my standing with Google (I don't think). If I get banned, then I can't open an AdWords account - but I can't see how that stops me from providing a service to clients. Also, I'm not doing borderline work... My clients are genuine brick-and-mortars businesses.

As for AdWords - it's not going to disappear overnight. It'll keep changing, and I'll adapt with it.

I'm not really AdWords, but lead generation via paid search. If Facebook brought out search functionality that worked, I'd likely be all over that.

The reason I'm positioned as an "AdWords Guy", is because there are businesses out there that specifically want help with AdWords (it being a large $100m+/day demonstrated cashflow).

I hear what you're saying.

It's very unlikely anything would ever happen to cause the account to be banned or for Google to go away but it still feels like giving away control, when relying on just one platform to get the results you do for clients.

As you say, Facebook would be an option if it had a viable search functionality, which it does not. I can't really think of anything that works anywhere near as well as Adwords for local, although would be interested to hear if you've found different :)

Just typing this here is reminding me I still have to run some tests on Bing etc, it's something I've never done.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I hear what you're saying.

It's very unlikely anything would ever happen to cause the account to be banned or for Google to go away but it still feels like giving away control, when relying on just one platform to get the results you do for clients.

As you say, Facebook would be an option if it had a viable search functionality, which it does not. I can't really think of anything that works anywhere near as well as Adwords for local, although would be interested to hear if you've found different :)

Just typing this here is reminding me I still have to run some tests on Bing etc, it's something I've never done.
I get IN with AdWords, but then provide/up-sell/cross-sell Facebook, Bing, other channels, as well as better reporting, better BI, LP design, testing, market research, search term analysis, competitor analysis, etc.

It's all lead gen, and "daily trading", designed to grow the client's business.

For client services, I focus on AdWords as that's where the money's at.

It's not my big vision though. That was in this video:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 042 - 3 Maths Exam Tips

I've dropped this video into this thread. It took a bit of editing to get down to 2:21 (from about 2:50 I think).

I get unstuck/a fire under my arse when I have people to help.

In this case, I'm helping a niece and a couple of local lads to prepare for their Maths exams that start in 10 days time.

Expect more Maths videos to hit that thread in the next few days.

Tomorrow morning I'll be posting that video to Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. I'll be doing the same with forthcoming ones.

If it helps someone pass their exams, then it's been well worth it.

And of course, you don't learn until you launch. So this is going to help me learn more about video creation and marketing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.