The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Poker: How you can get started, succeed, and many myths and facts

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Re: Poker: How you can get started, succeed, and many myths and f

"Harrington on Hold 'Em" Volumes 1-3 and "The Theory of Poker" I've seen recommended.

Harrington on Hold em I haven't read/know anyone of my poker friends who've read it off the top of my head, so can't say how they are, but Dan Harrington is mainly a tournament player, so not sure how good his cash games books would be. Could be okay for beginners, but not something I'd recommend unless I read them/knew of a poker friend who read them. At the same time, wouldn't be fair to say not to read them, because they could be okay for beginners.

Fwiw, a lot of poker authors would have a very difficult time beating small-mid stakes games online, so just keep that in mind. Many make the majority of their money writing about poker, and not necessarily playing it.(not all, just something to keep in mind)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

Your opinions on stoxtraders book? "Winning in tough Hold'em Games?"

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

These people don't care about the $5 they are spewwing away. You have to be able capitalize on them at real money tables.

Something I wanted to expand on from this is, that's how it's viewed as a lot of people, as just a form of entertainment. Some people don't mind throwing on $50, $100, $500, or whatever and playing to have fun, expecting to probably lose it. So if you actually learn to play, and are trying to be a good player, all the people you're playing against won't actually be trying to become good poker players. Many people just play for fun. So to make money at this game, is very easy if you put your mind to it, since many won't even go out of their way to try and learn to play correctly, or who might want to get better but don't know how to access the information on how to play correctly.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Snowbank,
I love to ask this question on 2+2. Why nl over limit?

At what point did you feel it clicked? (The turning point in your game?)

Limit bored the hell out of me to be honest. I tried it, but it was a real grind, I just got no excitement out of playing it.

As far as when it clicked, I think it's when I started really focusing on one game. I had jumped around messing with sit and goes, etc... and finally just said, let's focus on the game where people can make the most money and become really good at it. You know the saying, "jack of all trades but master of none." I had been pretty good at a number of games, but wasn't really good at one particular. So I hired coaches to help me with my game, and worked really hard on my game, and just progressed as time went on. A lot of people don't see the hard work behind poker success. My first month as a "pro" I made $0. That month I spent a ridiculous amount of time analyzing my hands, and talking with anyone who was better than me who would spend a few minutes with me about what I could do better. I don't think I'm a "natural" like some of the online poker phenoms. I didn't just start playing and dominating games right away or anything like that. I won't tell my whole poker story now, but basically I started with $50 and was winning like $1 or $2/day while learning the game.(and at that time didn't have anyone guiding me, so was pretty much trying to figure stuff out on my own) I was really conservative with my bankroll and just kept building it up, and have been way over rolled for all games that I've ever played, so never had a point where I just all the sudden started dominating or anything like that. I just progressively got better, and I put in a lot more volume than just about anyone, which helps me see new things/get new ideas a lot since I see so many different hands played, and in all sorts of ways.

If I had to pick one thing in general that helped my game, it was when I learned how to constantly be the aggressor, and when to 3-bet and why 3 betting was so important(though this was in 2006) before many people had started 3 betting so much, so the "a-haa" type moment wouldn't matter so much in today's games since most people have figured it out at least somewhat. Now it's figuring out what level they're thinking on, and now if they are still thinking on a level of aggressive 3 betting with no real reasoning behind doing what they're doing, I can 4 bet bluff in these spots and make the play profitable even though in a 100 big blind stacked game it's a very tough thing to do, but as games progress, you can find edges in places where they didn't exist before, based on what level of thinking your current opponents play at. I guess playing so many hands I notice the type of general game strategy people are using at which levels better than some, and try to stay one step ahead.

Kind of went off on a tangent, but really, it's just a lot of practice, and constantly trying to get better. I think anyone who put their mind to it could learn it and do well.(if you wanted to switch to nl I'm sure you'd do fine if you had the time to dedicate to it)

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Your opinions on stoxtraders book? "Winning in tough Hold'em Games?"

Have never read it. I don't read many poker books. I don't get a lot out of them, and usually learn a lot more talking to players better than me rather than reading books. My 'poker book reading history': read a bit of Super System way back in the day. Read a little of Theory of Poker but got bored. Read some of Small Stakes Hold em but decided I didn't want to play limit. Read all the way through The Little Green Book(the only poker book I've read cover to cover.) Read Sklansky's no-limit book, the one with a couple of the 2p2 guys, it was not good and I had to stop reading after a few chapters. Read some of 1-2 other random poker books when first starting to concentrate on no-limit, but the books were way too passive to ever have a chance of being a winner in an online game with those strategies.

At this point for me, there's not many books that would help much. Most books are geared towards beginners, and for good reason, that's the main audience who would buy one. The people who could write a ridiculously in depth advanced book either wouldn't publish it(super small niche so tough to sell many of, and could affect their games depending on what level they played at), or would privately sell their book for a large sum of money(which one online player has started to do in the last year or so after getting rejected by publishers.)

For that book in particular, it's a limit one, so not sure. I would say, you'd probably be okay buying that book, since he has a successful online background.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

Good points. I've read maybe 6 books cover to cover and 6 more skimmed. To be honest I actually found they weakened my game. Mind you I'm no where near the caliber player you are, but I wouldn't consider myself a complete newbie either. To many distractions in those books and the input is to cut and dry. Nothing in poker is cut and dry. There is always a higher level thinking on what would seem a simple decision.

I agree limit can be boring. I need to branch into NL. Ive only tried it once or twice and ran with my tail tucked between my legs. I'll admit it, NL intimidates me.

One interesting point that you bring up several times and I'm glad you do. You seek advice from better players then you. Great business concept.

I look forward to future posts.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Good points. I've read maybe 6 books cover to cover and 6 more skimmed. To be honest I actually found they weakened my game. Mind you I'm no where near the caliber player you are, but I wouldn't consider myself a complete newbie either. To many distractions in those books and the input is to cut and dry. Nothing in poker is cut and dry. There is always a higher level thinking on what would seem a simple decision.

Ya, I'm with you there. Many books often give you a style so you could 'hang around longer/not lose your money real fast', but won't turn you into someone who can crush the games. Then once people realize they can't actually win much with the styles books teach they either have to give up or re-learn how to play the right way if wanting to make a bunch of money. I also agree with the 2nd part. I think books often say, "do this" but they don't give enough in depth reasoning as to why you're doing certain things. They often give one reason, but forget a lot of other variables that could make the play they suggest incorrect, and don't give examples on how to adapt, etc... So players who read the books understand X, but when Y happens, the book didn't prepare them for that. There's so many levels of thinking involved, and the books usually don't cover many of them.

I agree limit can be boring. I need to branch into NL. Ive only tried it once or twice and ran with my tail tucked between my legs. I'll admit it, NL intimidates me.

The major difference is obvious, that you can bet any amount of money, instead of just 1 bet. So, I definitely understand it being intimidating since if you don't have a good idea how to approach no-limit, essentially you can get taken for good amounts of money pretty quick. That's why it's real important to get good fundamentals down. Once you do, then you'll have the foundation to be the player that has the edge, where instead of getting 1 extra bet out of someone, you will be able to extract much more value in no-limit, which is why winrates in no-limit are much higher than limit, because players with an edge can push their edges more.

One interesting point that you bring up several times and I'm glad you do. You seek advice from better players then you. Great business concept.

Ya, I get a lot out of talking to players better than me. A lot of the people in my poker circle are at a similar level as I am, or better, so it's nice to have people around you like that where you can bounce ideas off of/talk strategy, etc... If I read every poker book ever written, I'd still get more out of talking strategy with a good player for 30 minutes than I would from reading all those books. I'm lucky that where I live in Arizona there's actually a handful of us(4-5) who are some of the very good online players and we all live within 10-20 minutes of eachother, so if I'm off my game a bit, I'll ask one of them to come over for an hour or two and sweat a session, to see if they notice any leaks, or spots where I could be playing better in.

Also, I've hired coaches several times in the past. Some of the coaches I've hired have run me up to as much as $500/hr, but if you think about it, if you pick up one thing from a coach that can make you an extra bet or two per session, you'll get such an insane return from paying them from coaching since you'll always have the knowledge they teach you, so you can continually make an extra $20-$30/hr or whatever if you pick something up from them that you didn't know before. I actually might hire a friend of mine who's a better player than I am, to come live with me for a month and give him a piece of my action, so I can try and pick up some things from him. I think a lot of people get their ego involved and think that they know enough, when they should be looking at all the people who are better than them, who must be doing something different to get the better results they're getting. You can always learn something new. Poker is an unsolved game so no one knows everything.

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH

Also, I've hired coaches several times in the past. Some of the coaches I've hired have run me up to as much as $500/hr, but if you think about it, if you pick up one thing from a coach that can make you an extra bet or two per session, you'll get such an insane return from paying them from coaching since you'll always have the knowledge they teach you, so you can continually make an extra $20-$30/hr or whatever if you pick something up from them that you didn't know before. I actually might hire a friend of mine who's a better player than I am, to come live with me for a month and give him a piece of my action, so I can try and pick up some things from him. I think a lot of people get their ego involved and think that they know enough, when they should be looking at all the people who are better than them, who must be doing something different to get the better results they're getting. You can always learn something new. Poker is an unsolved game so no one knows everything.

This is so true with everything! That is how I approach my trading. I look at what others (that actually make a living or big money) are doing to see if it may help me with my trading. Thanks for the post!

PokerRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 15, 2008
Minnesota

Great posts Snowbank.

One additional thing I thought of is that many of the top online tournament players started their bankrolls with $0 money. They played freerolls (free online tournaments that award real cash) and once they scored built up their bankroll from there. It can really be a grind but if you don't want to risk any scratch it's not a bad way to go.

Below is an article by a famous pro who turned $0 into $10,000:

Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker - All Promotions: Chris Ferguson Challenge

Lerash

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 26, 2008

Very cool thread. I've played a tad on a very obscure site called Duplicate Poker, they give you $3US and you don't even have to enter a credit card #. Sadly I have less than $3 now though lol.

EDIT: Sorry if this sounded like spam, delete if necessary.

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas

I signed up for PokerStars, and have been playing for a day on 0.01/0.02 tables. I won a good amount from my 0.40 buy-in up to a dollar, but then my winnings have dwindled, and I lost 0.06.

With that, would it be wise to set a profit goal, or to play for a certain amount of time? I'm very disciplined but am confused as to what goals I should set for the day. Basically I'm running like a chicken with its head cut off, but I figure action is better than no action.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I signed up for PokerStars, and have been playing for a day on 0.01/0.02 tables. I won a good amount from my 0.40 buy-in up to a dollar, but then my winnings have dwindled, and I lost 0.06.

With that, would it be wise to set a profit goal, or to play for a certain amount of time? I'm very disciplined but am confused as to what goals I should set for the day. Basically I'm running like a chicken with its head cut off, but I figure action is better than no action.

Set a goal to build your bankroll to about $25 by playing .01/.02. Your goal should be to consistently win or get your money in when you are ahead. I'm not positive at .01/.02 but I think that winning .20 to. 40 per 100 hands is a decent goal.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I vote legendary ... great stuff here.

:95mph:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

Great thread Bill!

Sorry I'm a little dense - is there anywhere we can read on the basic's of solid poker game? As in if I went to play right now, what hands do I keep/what do I bet/ etc. - Is this going to be covered as well or should I read the Green Book? Just trying to get a fastlane to poker mini guide :D Thanks!

Happy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 16, 2008
St. Louis, MO - USA

Great stuff, thanks for sharing your knowledge! ++Speed

I have been hesitant to play poker in anything other than a social setting as someone once insinuated that I had cost him money by playing my hand in a stupid manner. Is this even possible? Would this be more applicable in the game of Black Jack?

Sounds like the .01/.02 tables would be a good place for me to start.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD

I just lost $36 tonight. I didn't play many hands, but I lost a few big hands that I had the edge on.

This was real face-to-face, though -- not online.

PokerRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 15, 2008
Minnesota

I have been hesitant to play poker in anything other than a social setting as someone once insinuated that I had cost him money by playing my hand in a stupid manner. Is this even possible?

Kinda but not really. Your opponent probably altered his play based on a play you made that wasn't textbook and didn't call a bet that he would have won. However, poker is a game of deception and the only way you make money is when somebody else loses. If he was that good he would have known you were new to the game and adjusted his play accordingly.

When you play online you are going to be berated all the time. Cloaked behind the anonymity of the internet, players run their mouths constantly. Some are angry but most are just looking to tilt you or make you become passive as you are afraid to be yelled at again. Ironically, it is usually the bad players who do the most talking. I do this for a living and I get berated and told how horrible I am every single day. If I play a session where somebody didn't call me a donk I probably didn't do my job well.

PokerRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 15, 2008
Minnesota

Great thread Bill!

Sorry I'm a little dense - is there anywhere we can read on the basic's of solid poker game? As in if I went to play right now, what hands do I keep/what do I bet/ etc. - Is this going to be covered as well or should I read the Green Book? Just trying to get a fastlane to poker mini guide :D Thanks!

I am sure snowbank will cover the basics in his article. I will post an email I sent my poker students when I coached. A couple warnings:

1) These concepts were for players who had been playing for a while and were looking to take the next step in their game. If you a true beginner you may want to come back to this later. I am not sure this will help anybody here but I know it's not helping anybody sitting in my computer :)
2) This was written 2 years ago and was aimed at low-middle stakes players. The games have changed since then (they are tougher now) so these concepts don't go far enough in today's low-middle stakes games. However, I do still think they are helpful for players at the micro stakes.
3) This was written quickly upon request as an email so grammar/ spelling may be shaky.

NLHE= no limit hold em
UTG= under the gun
MP= middle position
LP= late position
SB= small blind
BB= big blind
PT= poker tracker
LAG= loose aggressive
TAG= tight aggressive

NL Concepts

NLHE is an ever changing game and every table you sit at is going to be different. I have been very hesitant to put anything in writing because I want to stress that your style has to be fluid. If you are looking at a hand chart or thinking about what the book says to do in a particular situation you are limiting your game. A book will never tell you to reraise an UTG raise and a MP caller with 79s but sometimes that is the right play. Sometimes folding AQo in that exact situation is also the right play.

Even though NLHE requires a fluid style, there are some general concepts to follow.

1) Position. Every professional NL player stresses position and I think it is critical to being successful. Look at your PT position stats if you don’t believe me. There are two major position points to consider.

- Position against opponents. If there is a tricky LAG on your left, leave the table. You are playing at a disadvantage and there is a better table available.
- Position in the hand. Being last to act in a hand is a huge advantage. You can watch all the action develop in front of you and can control it. You can make big pots or keep them small. 78s is easy to play from the button, not so easy out of the SB.

How do you relate this to actual play? Tighten up your raising from UTG and UTG+1. Don’t call out of the blinds with marginal hands. A10o is a good example for both situations. Do you want action in either spot? What types of hands are you going to be up against? A10o is garbage unless you are in position and controlling the action.

2) Avoid marginal situations. Thinking about A10o leads right into avoiding marginal situations. If you are being put to the test frequently in NL cash games you are doing something wrong. Either you are practicing bad table selection, or more likely, you have some leaks in your game. Your opponent should be the one who feels pressured. There are several causes for marginal situations. Bad position, marginal cards, and/ or passive play all lead to marginal situations.

For example:

Non-marginal situation: You are on the button with A10o. You have been running the table. It’s folded to you and you raise pot. Only the SB calls. SB is a solid but imaginative player. Flop is A72 rainbow. SB checks and you bet 75% of pot and he calls. What could he have? You don’t run well against his range. Turn is a 3 and SB checks. This couldn’t have helped his hand but you check behind for pot control. The river pairs the 2 and your opponent makes a 50% pot bet. You quickly call and he tables A9s and you scoop the pot.

By controlling the pot in position you were able to avoid a marginal situation.

Marginal situation: same hands and same type of opponent except now you are in the SB and opponent is on the button. Button raises and you call with your marginal hand out of position. Flop is A72, you check and button pots it. You call thinking your hand might be good. Turn 3, you check and your opponent bets ¾ of the pot. Now you are in a big pot and if you call you could face another big bet on the river. This is a solid unimaginative player, he has to have AK or AQ. You fold.

There is an excellent article on pocketfives.com by Green Plastic called “What is your edge?†If you haven’t read it you should as it goes more in depth on this point. Basically Taylor says you need to have an advantage to play a hand. It can either be positional, better cards or being a better player, but you have to have at least one advantage.

A couple of concepts to help avoid marginal situations.
- Don’t play weak Aces and weak broadway hands. You know where you are with 44 but you won’t know where you are at with K10o. This changes if you are on the button or cutoff with no action in front of you but play slowly after the flop and don’t call a reraise with these types of hands.
- Be the aggressor, especially in position. If there is a weak-tight limper UTG and you have J9s that you are going to play, raise it. You give yourself the chance to win the pot right there or to win it with a continuation bet on the flop if called. If you just limp in you will have no idea where you are at.
- Don’t zealously defend your blinds. This is not a MTT where blind defense is important. Don’t call with any 2 because you have odds. If you have a hand that can flop a monster and you are getting priced in, then play it, otherwise just fold.

3) Be the intimidating, tricky player at the table. Be the one opponents fear and hate.

There are three main levels of players. The first level is the low limit player who plays their own cards. “I have top pair and that’s a big hand.â€

The second level of player is the one who is playing their own cards but playing them in relationship to their opponent’s hand. “I will call with second pair because I think my opponent just has AK.â€

The third level is the player who is just playing their opponent. “That’s a scared feeler bet, I am going to blast him off the hand.†They do not need good cards to win a hand. They frustrate their opponent and when they finally play a big pot to showdown they have the nuts. This is the intimidating tricky player you want to be.

How do you get there? Concentrate on your game and don’t be mechanical. How often do you sit down at a table and just play level one and two? When you do your game is not improving. By playing on level three and thinking through every hand your game will improve exponentially. Are you going to make mistakes? YES. That is OK. That is how you get better. Early on in your level 3 play, move down a limit or two so the money doesn’t matter if you stack off trying to bluff a calling station. Learn your lesson and don’t do it again.

Every time you are to act, think things through on level 3. If you flopped a set, how are you going to get your opponents stack? Maybe a small bet will induce a big bet out of him if he’s aggressive. Maybe an overbet will induce a calling station to call with any piece of the flop. If you missed your hand, how can you get your opponent to lay down his hand? Think every action through and remember you always have two or three options every time you have cards in front of you.

Critique your game after every session, both the good and the bad. Replay the hands you got stacked on. Did you get all your money in with top set v. a flush draw? Well played then. Did you overplay top pair, top kicker against a nit’s set? Where should you have gotten away from it? Use PT for this type of analysis.

As I mentioned at the beginning, you have to have a fluid style to adapt to different playing conditions. Generally at the lower limits, you have more calling stations. This means being a real LAG is not always optimal. TAG play is closer to optimal. This doesn’t mean that there aren’t plenty of opportunities to be tricky. However, you need to be more selective on where you run plays. If you are focusing on level 3 play, you will find these opportunities.

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas

Started with $0.40 for a game, lot of ups and downs but came out ahead at a buck and some change! $1.07 to be exact. One thing I've learned is to read the opponents, how they play, and play your cards less then what I was doing before. Gonna keep at it.

I've been having my hand stats and plays emailed to me, are there any ways to analyze what I've done correctly, and what I've done wrong?

If I'm threadjacking, lemme know and I can create a new post. Thanks for all the help/inspiration!

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN

what method do you use to track how many hands you have played and whether or not you have had 'a winning session"? Is there some kind of software or do you just use a spreadsheet?

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL

what method do you use to track how many hands you have played and whether or not you have had 'a winning session"? Is there some kind of software or do you just use a spreadsheet?

Pokertracker. :)

PokerRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 15, 2008
Minnesota

Pokertracker. :)
pokertracker.com is the most common tracking method.

However, holdemmanager.net (HEM) is a rapidly growing competitor that is probably more popular for new purchases than PT. I actually just switched from PT to HEM this month as the new PT has proved very unstable and was not capable of handling the 24 tables I play at a time. For a recreational player, I don't think you can go wrong either way but I do believe HEM has a cheaper option for small stakes players.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Great posts Snowbank.

One additional thing I thought of is that many of the top online tournament players started their bankrolls with $0 money. They played freerolls (free online tournaments that award real cash) and once they scored built up their bankroll from there. It can really be a grind but if you don't want to risk any scratch it's not a bad way to go.

Below is an article by a famous pro who turned $0 into $10,000:

Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker - All Promotions: Chris Ferguson Challenge

Ya, that graph is a good example of if you know how to play, you can build money up quick. Once he finally got $100+ bankroll, he was able to turn it into $10k pretty quickly.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Don't sweat the session to session swings. They don't mean anything. Focus on playing correctly. If you lose a hand, really try to understand why you lost, and if there was something you could have done differently to avoid losing. To go along with that, don't be results oriented on things like 'opponent flush hitting' or things like that. Focus on learning the game, and don't focus on the money at all. You should have at least 25-30 buy ins for the stakes you're playing. As far as time, people pick things up at different paces. After I get a chance to make the part 2. post, it should give you a lot of guidance on how to play and how to build a roll, etc... For now, just try to get a feel for the game a bit and try to learn player tendencies and things like that. This is an important thing to pick up when you're starting out, and something you can only get from table experience.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Great thread Bill!

Ya, I'll definitely be going over that for everyone. Wouldn't hurt picking up that book. Like I said some parts I disagree with, but overall it's a decent beginner book.

After part 2(and 3 if there's a 3rd part) this will hopefully serve as a good 'fastlane to poker guide.'

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

I have been hesitant to play poker in anything other than a social setting as someone once insinuated that I had cost him money by playing my hand in a stupid manner. Is this even possible? Would this be more applicable in the game of Black Jack?

Sounds like the .01/.02 tables would be a good place for me to start.

Everyone is always complaining after hands. That's one of the negative parts of poker that I don't like very much. Don't worry about that at all. It's pretty common for players to berate players when they lose a hand and think the person who won it played poorly. Chances are the player who said something to you was not very good, as it's kind of an 'unspoken code' among the good players to not berate players who may make mistakes, as we want to keep someone who's making mistakes at the table. Although some hands can be frustrating to a good player as well, they understand that the short term results in poker mean almost nothing, so to get all angry at one hand for a winning player would be kind of silly.

For blackjack, unless you are a card counter, it's all random, so again, another thing people do at the casino when they don't understand the odds won't change for them whatever card someone pulls out before them. So if someone should have hit and they stayed and the guy after him has to hit and busts, and gets mad because it should have been the other guys card, it's just kind of funny since it's all random. Even for a card counter, the effect on someone doing something wrong(non-basic strategy blackjack) has little to no effect on even them.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

pokertracker.com is the most common tracking method.

However, holdemmanager.net (HEM) is a rapidly growing competitor that is probably more popular for new purchases than PT. I actually just switched from PT to HEM this month as the new PT has proved very unstable and was not capable of handling the 24 tables I play at a time. For a recreational player, I don't think you can go wrong either way but I do believe HEM has a cheaper option for small stakes players.

Ya, I don't really use the software, but this is pretty spot on with what most of the poker guys I talk with say. I think HEM has some new advanced features a lot of pros like in comparison to PT which doesn't have some of the things. For recreational use both would be fine.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Just got back in town from a trip, so I'll write up part 2 as soon as I get a chance.

sharpshooter

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 18, 2008
California

This is a great thread. I feel compelled to try online poker again and take a safer approach of starting low and work my way up. Can't wait to read part 2

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.