The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PHYSICS: I'm in the middle of a new theory that could change the world, and I don't know how to help the scientists.

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
Ok so guys I'm gonna summarize it as best as I can:

A BIG discovery has been made in physics. Nobel-prize-level stuff. It' s something like the discovery of electricity was a couple centuries ago, or the discovery of nuclear energy. Something with potential to change the world.
Basically at the moment it's a mathematical theory that, from a very simple "shape", predicts with perfect accuracy all the basic stuff of reality that has been measured up to date (the particle masses and physical constants). It is one of the best candidates for a theory of everything, something that explains what is our reality made of.

The masses and the constants are the numbers from which all the physics in the universe arise. Some of them are the most accurately measured stuff in physics. And, until now, no relationship between them had been found, they're about 20-30 numbers that looked random. This theory explains them all from a single mathematical shape/dynamic. The theory also explains big current unknowns/problems in physics like dark matter and dark energy.

So basically: these two scientists have been working on this theory for 10+ years and made it publicly available last summer, and the "big reveal", public-oriented video aired a few weeks ago. This video where everything is explained has got just 500 views, and so far, no media has made any mention of this theory.
I contacted them last summer and I have been trying to help them since. As an artist I thought the way I could help most was by doing illustrations and animations to help regular people understand the basics of the theory. But I lack proper understanding of the concepts so my drawings are inaccurate and have been ultimately useless.

It is taking a lot of my time and energy. I feel as if there were someone dying next to me, I can't concentrate in my FL projects and job because I have to do something to help them, because, for me. the progress of science/humanity is something much more important than my personal success.

So I've been thinking about other ways to help, and the other one would be to spread the knowledge of this theory as much as possible, so millions of people know about it, it starts to be discussed in the scientific community, and, eventually, more and more people are put in the same place as me, some of them who will be really able to help, illustrate and eventually test and experiment the theory so that technologies can be developed. My first thoughts have been trying to reach scientific divulgation youtubers such as Veritassium, 3blue1brown or Vsauce. I have also thought about The Fastlane Forum and my investing club in Spain as a potential way to try and reach some initial capital to help in making this theory known or have other people involved, in a philantropic way.

Here are the two videos I mentioned, in which the theory is explained:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV7jS4PzZ9c
(This december's, shorter, public-oriented)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1us13shIg
(Last august's, longer and more abstract)

How would you go from here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
You're being duped, man
So basically: these two scientists have been working on this theory for 10+ years and made it publicly available last summer, and the "big reveal", public-oriented video aired a few weeks ago. This video where everything is explained has got just 500 views, and so far, no media has made any mention of this theory.
I contacted them last summer and I have been trying to help them since. As an artist I thought the way I could help most was by doing illustrations and animations to help regular people understand the basics of the theory. But I lack proper understanding of the concepts so my drawings are inaccurate and have been ultimately useless.
If they've come across a scientific discovery, it needs to be tested by other scientists first before it can be considered legit. Afterwards it would be published in a scientific journal. I don't know all the exact steps, but getting views on YouTube is no way for a scientific theory to be taken seriously. In fact, the very idea of using video views to validate a discovery is laughable.

If I were you, I would immediately quit wasting my time on this.

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
You're being duped, man

If they've come across a scientific discovery, it needs to be tested by other scientists first before it can be considered legit. Afterwards it would be published in a scientific journal. I don't know all the exact steps, but getting views on YouTube is no way for a scientific theory to be taken seriously. In fact, the very idea of using video views to validate a discovery is laughable.

If I were you, I would immediately quit wasting my time on this.
Thanks for the interest.
Here's the draft of the scientific paper, to be reviewed.

I might have explained myself badly. Everything I've mentioned about promoting or divulgating this scientific work is my own idea of what could be best for the advancement and completion (or refuttal) of this theory, and has nothing to do with them (in fact, I haven't talked to them about it). I never mentioned anything about getting more views for these specific videos nor validating anything through views.
I'm talking about getting this theory divulgated to the public so that more people are aware of it and ultimately it can be validated or refuted faster.

Fersko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Nov 3, 2018
If their discovery was of such importance it would've already been picked up by universities. Besides, why is this theory developed without any university context? Without a uni standing behind them, you could put any theory online as you wish. Papers usually only get published after thorough peer-reviewing by scientists from other universities. The fact that I can't even find one paper on ScienceDirect.com | Science, health and medical journals, full text articles and books. including his name, can make you doubt that this guy legit.

Science really has his own network for discoveries, would be a shit show if they had to go through YouTube in order to work together. lol

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I watched the entirety of the December video. This is such an incredibly fascinating model!

My first reaction: holy shit I am definitely interested in this.

Second: look up Thad Roberts

Third: note Thad's record of stealing moon rocks from NASA as an intern and having sex on them - subsequently spending 6 years in jail after getting caught in an FBI sting.

Fourth: learn more about Thad's apparent charisma and how he had led several other people with him into his heist and ultimately tarnished their future careers as astronauts

Now: trying to reconcile this bizarre story with the truly interesting model he puts forth.

One thing's for sure - despite the merits of the theory, naysayers can harp on Thad's history to discredit the model.

One of my best friends is really into this kind of stuff (the smartest guy I know) - he in facts spends every day pursuing radical science, connecting with people in industry and academia, and helping bring forth their ideas to the masses by helping them with digital marketing. He helps setup their websites and media, and uses his story-telling abilities to help create mass adoption of ideas that are all but lost in the language of mathematicians.

I will bring this to him and see what he makes of it all - maybe he has some productive input for you. Will report back with whatever I can help you with.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
This is certainly crackpottery. Reading over the paper, it seems like it's pretty sophisticated crack pottery, but I can assure you it is precisely that.

There are details that set off my alarm bells. First, it's not written like a physics research paper, in terms of its formatting or flow. It's not even written like an undergrad thesis. It's written like a paper by a crackpot.

Second, it comes across as buzzword salad, with phrases such as: "This equation tells a clear geometric story. The mass of the electron (its total distortive presence in the fluid) has two contributions: a localized wave, and a secondary back reflection. These two parts are separated by 8 orders of magnitude, which means that they take up the entire range of Nature’s scale-hyperbolic-octonion degrees of freedom"

Third, it doesn't cite any other works, even previous work by the paper's author. This is a massive red flag.

Fourth, even though I don't know anything about quantum fluid dynamics (note that I do have a PhD in physics, though) I can easily follow along with the logic of the wikipedia article on quantum vortices. It's written in terms of things a physicist would know and understand. Reading this paper is like reading greek. It simply doesn't make any kind of sense to someone that has even an undergrad training in physics.

It's nonsense.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
note that I do have a PhD in physics, though

Your PhD in Physics is no match for my confirmation bias and liberal arts degree! It's true!

Just kidding, I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the interest.
Here's the draft of the scientific paper, to be reviewed.

I might have explained myself badly. Everything I've mentioned about promoting or divulgating this scientific work is my own idea of what could be best for the advancement and completion (or refuttal) of this theory, and has nothing to do with them (in fact, I haven't talked to them about it). I never mentioned anything about getting more views for these specific videos nor validating anything through views.
I'm talking about getting this theory divulgated to the public so that more people are aware of it and ultimately it can be validated or refuted faster.

You're being duped. This dude is a crack pot. I've seen many of them over the years. They're all the same. Inflated egos, persecution complex, etc. etc.

Don't waste your time on this. You'll learn more about reality by flipping burgers at McD than you will making videos on this.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

The article and video above sound like BS, but I did want to add that an important scientific discovery can be made outside of a university.

Scientists can fall prey to scripted thinking; it’s important to question everything if one is to discover anything new.

But yeah this one is probably “crackpottery” - just not for the reasons in the first couple responses.

An idea should be judged for what it is, not where it came from.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
The article and video above sound like BS, but I did want to add that an important scientific discovery can be made outside of a university.

Scientists can fall prey to scripted thinking; it’s important to question everything if one is to discover anything new.

But yeah this one is probably “crackpottery” - just not for the reasons in the first couple responses.

An idea should be judged for what it is, not where it came from.

They can, for sure. See Bell Labs in the decades past. I personally used a technology developed there (a thin film growth technology called molecular beam epitaxy) during my time at grad school.

But that research will still follow the general pattern of academic research. Adherence to the scientific method, submission of peer reviewed material to prestigious journals, filing patents, presenting at conferences, networking with other scientists, etc.

Even the popular myth of Einstein as the lone wolf outsider scientist-as-patent-clerk ignores the fact that he had a PhD from an accredited university and submitted his work to academic journals.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
These days a lot of people just copy and put their own spin on some past author or thinker without giving credit. That seems to be common these days. There seems to be a lot of desire for fame and recognition.

I say this because I’ve read tons of theories on metaphysics and this sounds familiar.

And even if you discovered a breakthrough academia doesn’t like citing anything outside itself.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

A lot of science never becomes public knowledge.

Many inventions are more valuable as “trade secrets” than as patents, for example.

The person executing ideas knows this.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
@Abrodos

I just want you to know that you sound like an amazingly kind and giving person who truly had the best interests of these scientists at heart.

It is quite possible that you are a bit more naive than you think you are (I know what that’s like) and that through this learning process you’ll tweak how you assess and support endeavors in the future.

I truly hope you don’t get as bitter as some of us (cough - me- cough) when you realize how much marketers lie. Please don’t lose your enthusiasm to help people. It’s priceless and wonderful and more ppl should be like that.

This is yet another time where I thank God for this forum. We are here to help each other.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
I fell for something like this a few years ago so I can relate. I won't go into the details, but the invention was in tech. The person claimed to have discovered an algorithm that could find the best possible series of steps to achieve a desired result. He used this algorithm to write code for FPGA's (a piece of hardware that does computations) to do cloud hosting. The fact that it was the "best possible solution" made the device orders of magnitude faster and more efficient than traditional server computers.

I met him at a business conference. I stayed in touch and was always curious about his work. He was always happy to chat and explain the tech. He had some investors, a team, and a Palo Alto office (so clearly he was legit )

Anyway, it wasn't until about a year later that I found out that more senior people joined his team, one of which had put in $100k of his own cash. I really liked the new team so I decided to move across the country and live with the founder in his condo to help get the thing off the ground.

It was so frustrating. The guy had all the tech set up, but in order to prove that the thing was as powerful as he said it was, it would have costed a ton of money (like $50k) or a massive client like Facebook or Google. Every time we came up with ways for him to prove the tech, he always had a reason why "that won't actually prove anything".

The guy was a genius engineer and a world-class manipulator. He was promising something that would make current supercomputers look like flip phones. It was just too good to be true.

He eventually kicked everyone off the team (including me). He was excellent at getting the rest of the team against you so when he kicked you off for some bullshit reason, they were understanding.

One of the guys is still working with the founder off-and-on. He was the one that put $100k in of his own money. Poor guy. I tried to nudge him away but he's stubborn as hell.

Moral of the story, some people are smarter than you and want to cheat the system. They're excellent at claiming to be bigger and better than they are so that people like you and I give them our time, money and attention. They are excellent at never being outed as a liar. They build a story that is unfalsifiable.

These people are extremely rare, but if you come across one, run like hell. They're toxic.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
For better or for worse, exploring this idea sent me down a rabbit hole and a half yesterday.

Got in touch with my friend. We rewatched the video and discussed it for hours. I spent the rest of the day pursuing different leads to connect any dots I could find. Wanted to share with you what I found because I think it might be able to help you some.

Let's talk Thad

As for his ideas:

I think he's onto something interesting. I respect his approach using mathematics and geometry to create a new framework for understanding. The hyperbolic figure-eight is also a very fascinating structure to play with - there is something there about re-evaluating and quantizing space by playing with different structures.​

I agree with the point he makes regarding Natural Constants - that they are not some number chosen by God, but rather are a consequence of our minds yet inability to understand the relationship. He rightfully calls out the audience to question the fundamental theory that currently holds our understanding of the universe: Quantum Field Theory.​

Is he legit?

I'll admit that I don't have the time, the will, or the proper credentials to fact-check his math.​
With that said... when we look to the auxiliary data points regarding Thad himself, he certainly paints the picture of a crackpot. His backstory is also not encouraging - as it points to some fundamental lack of ethics in his professional work.​

Some time for reflection

Note that Thad is not the first and likely won't be the last person to take a shot at creating a Unifying Theory. This has been a controversial question and there are just as many quacks as well as serious academics and professionals that take a jab at it.

Those that take a shot at this question typically receive lots of backlash from the harsh and protective Theoretic Physics community
  1. There are several reasons why this happens - but you can look to the resource scarcity within this space and historic standstill from innovation over the past 50 years as evidence of inefficiencies within this domain
  2. Because resources/funding are scarce - information is withheld, sharing is limited, peers are combative, and outsiders are fiercely discredited from fear of them potentially stealing the hardworking and underpaid scientist's spot light.
The good news!

Thad may or may not be your guy - but if your goal is to leverage your art skills to contribute to an effort you believe in and are excited about: the good news for you is there are numerous causes that could use your help!

Eric Weinstein - that's a name for you to look up. If you don't know him - he's a PhD in Mathematical Physics from Harvard and the Managing director of Thiel Capital.

Why should we give a shit about Eric Weinstein? He could be your new Thad!

Unifying Theory? :check:

He recently went public about his jab at a Unifying Theory for physics. He coins the theory Geometric Unity. He also does a similar thing as Thad - whereby he notes a 14 dimensional Universe in which we see and interact with only 4 (3D for space and 1 for time).​

Credibility? :check:

Did NOT have sex on some stolen moon rocks while cheating on his wife (as far as the public knows)​
Is a PhD from Harvard, has a respected public voice, and has a community​
Your art skills + Eric Weinstein? :check:

As opposed to Thad's stranger-than-fiction YouTube channel with content dubbed "lord of the vortex king", Eric has already established a legit community and is growing it fast! They even have a 24/7 discord channel where you might find your people.​
You can check him out on The Portal Projects to learn more about some of his projects.​
More importantly: He's openly talked about needing and wanting to bring together Artists and computer geeks together to help visualize his theory.​
Here's an example of some of the work they've done at his community - it's called the interactive wall and it visually pieces together a lot of the theories in physics that he references: The Wall

Anyway - I hope this sets you off in the right direction! You don't have to abandon your mission, maybe just switch to a leader with a higher expected value for success. And thanks for bringing this up - it's been really fun to exercise my mind a bit and learn some cool shit.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
For better or for worse, exploring this idea sent me down a rabbit hole and a half yesterday.

Got in touch with my friend. We rewatched the video and discussed it for hours. I spent the rest of the day pursuing different leads to connect any dots I could find. Wanted to share with you what I found because I think it might be able to help you some.

Let's talk Thad

As for his ideas:

I think he's onto something interesting. I respect his approach using mathematics and geometry to create a new framework for understanding. The hyperbolic figure-eight is also a very fascinating structure to play with - there is something there about re-evaluating and quantizing space by playing with different structures.​

I agree with the point he makes regarding Natural Constants - that they are not some number chosen by God, but rather are a consequence of our minds yet inability to understand the relationship. He rightfully calls out the audience to question the fundamental theory that currently holds our understanding of the universe: Quantum Field Theory.​

Is he legit?

I'll admit that I don't have the time, the will, or the proper credentials to fact-check his math.​
With that said... when we look to the auxiliary data points regarding Thad himself, he certainly paints the picture of a crackpot. His backstory is also not encouraging - as it points to some fundamental lack of ethics in his professional work.​

Some time for reflection

Note that Thad is not the first and likely won't be the last person to take a shot at creating a Unifying Theory. This has been a controversial question and there are just as many quacks as well as serious academics and professionals that take a jab at it.

Those that take a shot at this question typically receive lots of backlash from the harsh and protective Theoretic Physics community
  1. There are several reasons why this happens - but you can look to the resource scarcity within this space and historic standstill from innovation over the past 50 years as evidence of inefficiencies within this domain
  2. Because resources/funding are scarce - information is withheld, sharing is limited, peers are combative, and outsiders are fiercely discredited from fear of them potentially stealing the hardworking and underpaid scientist's spot light.
The good news!

Thad may or may not be your guy - but if your goal is to leverage your art skills to contribute to an effort you believe in and are excited about: the good news for you is there are numerous causes that could use your help!

Eric Weinstein - that's a name for you to look up. If you don't know him - he's a PhD in Mathematical Physics from Harvard and the Managing director of Thiel Capital.

Why should we give a shit about Eric Weinstein? He could be your new Thad!

Unifying Theory? :check:

He recently went public about his jab at a Unifying Theory for physics. He coins the theory Geometric Unity. He also does a similar thing as Thad - whereby he notes a 14 dimensional Universe in which we see and interact with only 4 (3D for space and 1 for time).​

Credibility? :check:

Did NOT have sex on some stolen moon rocks while cheating on his wife (as far as the public knows)​
Is a PhD from Harvard, has a respected public voice, and has a community​
Your art skills + Eric Weinstein? :check:

As opposed to Thad's stranger-than-fiction YouTube channel with content dubbed "lord of the vortex king", Eric has already established a legit community and is growing it fast! They even have a 24/7 discord channel where you might find your people.​
You can check him out on The Portal Projects to learn more about some of his projects.​
More importantly: He's openly talked about needing and wanting to bring together Artists and computer geeks together to help visualize his theory.​
Here's an example of some of the work they've done at his community - it's called the interactive wall and it visually pieces together a lot of the theories in physics that he references: The Wall

Anyway - I hope this sets you off in the right direction! You don't have to abandon your mission, maybe just switch to a leader with a higher expected value for success. And thanks for bringing this up - it's been really fun to exercise my mind a bit and learn some cool shit.
I love this so much and this isn’t even my thread but I wish to all that is holy that someone had encouraged me like this back two years ago when I was SO incredibly discouraged at being manipulated. Instead I threw out the baby with the bath water and didn’t talk about anything even marginally involving my wounded pride or the project I was SO in love with - that had been a GREAT idea but I just hooked up with the WRONG people and then shot myself in the foot.

Anyhoo.. I hope the OP does exactly what you recommended. This thread is my fave thread of the month now. :) Good job dude! Tell your friend he rocks too!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
You have a better chance of turning yourself into a pickle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.